HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts on Wolski

Old
10-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Like my new avatar?
Hahaha, nice one!

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
again he is hurt. Let's see what he does when he actually pays.

Also it's not going to be hard to make a move with him since he can become a UFA next yr. Kuba makes sense. Ottawa clears a spot on D for kids and they give Wolski a trial

Kuba is overpaid alla Rozsival but he atleast knows Torts system
I think it will be very difficult to trade Wolski at this point. I hope he gets out of the damn tub and proves me wrong.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Like my new avatar?
That was fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I almost spit my beer on my laptop...
Whatcha drinking?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:47 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i agree w2 isnt gonna be here long. he "guesses so" ? what a ****ing clown comment that is right there.

hes everything torts hates. hes talented. hes european. hes got no "jam". dude is gonzo soon.

eventually we will have a whole line of brandon prusts.

good bye avery.
good bye zuc.
good bye w2.

if i were anisimov i wouldnt be buying a place anytime soon.
It's good to see that you've settled right back into your niche of doing nothing but complaining about the head coach.

If the Rangers had gotten off to a hot start, I was worried you'd have nothing to ***** about.

Emergency averted.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I think it will be very difficult to trade Wolski at this point. I hope he gets out of the damn tub and proves me wrong.
not saying we are going to get an awesome player I mentioned Filip " overpaid" Kuba

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:53 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
That was fast!

Whatcha drinking?
Sam Harvest Pumpkin Ale

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:56 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
again he is hurt. Let's see what he does when he actually pays.

Also it's not going to be hard to make a move with him since he can become a UFA next yr. Kuba makes sense. Ottawa clears a spot on D for kids and they give Wolski a trial

Kuba is overpaid alla Rozsival but he atleast knows Torts system
Stop with the Kuba ****...

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The guy hasn't even played a regular season game yet because he's injured and of course the Anti-Torts brigade is out in full force. Pathetic.
Doesn't keep the Anti-Wolski camp from flaming him either...

Let's see him play a few regular season games before you make any judgment on him.

Or does your logic only go one way?

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:14 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
And the Flyers take on Zherdev pretty much mirrored the Rangers'. He became a healthy scratch and was an unsigned UFA who's back where he belongs - in the KHL. Hell, he couldn't see eye to eye with Columbus' management, either, and they've been starving for offensive talent since they joined the league. Zherdev's inability to hang on to the NHL is his own damn fault.

And, again, another guy that has frustrated management where ever he's been.

Which is no excuse. Adapt. Torts' wants you to be defensively responsible for the team and your teammates. This isn't about checking like a "pitbull", it's about backchecking and being responsible.

And who do you bump to the 4th line instead? WW isn't a fourth line player - but neither are any of our top 6 (AA, Dubi, Callahan, Steps, Gaborik, Richards) and our third line (Prust/Feds/Boyle) were remarkably consistent last year. It's a problem, for sure. But, I don't think WW has shown enough in a NYR uniform to warrant bumping any of our top 9 to a 4th line role. Torts here is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. People would scream bloody murder if Stepan, AA, Cally, Dubi, etc.. were on the 4th line given the effort they usually bring.
I'm not sure why what happened to Zherdev after he left here has to do with Torts and what happened when he was here. Renney seemed to get a pretty good season out of Z when he was here (and I'm no Z fan), and the Flyers situation is completely different because that team was stacked with talented players unlike the one he was on when he was here.

I don't disagree that Z is at fault for not being around anymore, but it doesn't change the fact that Torts has zero patience for players that have tons of offensive potential but not much else. This was a guy that had 60 plus points the year before Torts got here. It didn't take him long to run him out of town.

Why aren't you as adamant about the coach adapting? If he were really good at what he does he'd be able to get the most out of players and wouldn't end up kicking talent out of town because they won't play the way he wants them to. It goes both ways you know. How many teams with a bunch of grinders and muckers have won the Cup? You still need talent places.

Wolski needs to be given a legitimate shot next to Richards and Gabby when healthy. That's really all there is to it. Not one preseason game and then Torts gives up and has had enough. He needs a stretch of games to see if it works. If it doesn't and he's playing on the fourth line then it's just another in a long line of mismanagement from this coach.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:31 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
It's good to see that you've settled right back into your niche of doing nothing but complaining about the head coach.

If the Rangers had gotten off to a hot start, I was worried you'd have nothing to ***** about.

Emergency averted.
you like him, i dont. deal with it.

he botched the avery thing. badly.
hes poised to do the same with zuc.
and seems like hes already begun to show his fangs to wolski.

and that fast start thing....um were talkin a torts team here right?

yeah ok.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
you like him, i dont. deal with it.

and that fast start thing....um were talkin a torts team here right?

yeah ok.
All of the players you are upset about have obvious flaws in their games, yet you act like Tortorella's actions are completely unwarranted and unfair... Call us when Torts starts mistreating hard-working players who compete in both ends of the ice...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 10-19-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old
10-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Levitate

What did Tortorella botch with Avery?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:12 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Disagree. Avery was a fringe 13th forward for the team, no matter how you want to shake it, so he was waived in favor of a cheaper option. Which, by the way, was Sather, not Torts.

I have disliked Avery since the end of the Sabres series, but I try to leave that bias by the wayside. Avery made the game about himself. Made himself a focus of the game. I like the Rangers, not Sean Avery. And I'll say the same thing about my favorite Ranger, Gaborik.

Quote:
Zucc had parts of last season where he went back to the AHL to work on his game. This is no different. He was not making a difference on the ice, so the coach made a move. I do think that having him on the 4th line was not ideal for him, but he really doesn't slot in cleanly anywhere. He might be trade fodder.

Quote:
Wolski is just totally unmotivated and seems like his days as an NHL'er are numbered. He played his way out of Colorado and he's doing the same here. He'll be in Europe very soon, mark my words, and that is in no way a black mark on Torts.

PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:14 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
All of the players you are upset about have obvious flaws in their games, yet you act like Tortorella's actions are completely unwarranted and unfair... Call us when Torts starts mistreating hard-working players who compete in both ends of the ice...
Yeah he only mistreats 42 goal scorers who single handedly carry his team for an entire season.

Funny, I don't remember Callahan getting benched for his boneheaded boarding penalty the other night.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:20 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
What did Tortorella botch with Avery?
pretty much said win a job in camp.

avery played well. ec played like the doosh that he is.

and then torts said, never mind what i said. i pretty much dont like you so you are gone. what was it, "we have better players here". really, where ?

yeah ok, thats not botched. you're right, thats just the torts way.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Doesn't keep the Anti-Wolski camp from flaming him either...

Let's see him play a few regular season games before you make any judgment on him.

Or does your logic only go one way?
I'm not in the Anti-Wolski camp. I'm in the "He did nothing for us last year so my leash is very short now" camp. Let him play, but from his play last season I'm not expecting too much and am starting to think, if we were going to waive Avery, send Zucc to the A, and keep EC as the 13th forward, we should''ve bought Wolski out and brought in a guy like Eric Cole.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:00 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
Where in Europe is Toronto, Canada? Because that's where he grew up
This is true. Born in Poland though.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:02 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Sam Harvest Pumpkin Ale
thumbs way up

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Torts wants his style his players and it is his call. There are a few kids in the minors that will be up here by the break.. 30 or 40 games into the season there will be a lot of youth in the room from CT

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I hope Wolski gets dealt in a package for a defenseman.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I hope Wolski gets dealt in a package for a defenseman.
Wolski for Rozsival?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:59 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Not saying it was you, but when people were upset about the way Torts handled Avery, the pro-Torts crowd went on and on about how much MZA was such a better player. Now that MZA has been sent down, he's a player with "obvious flaws in his game."

Torts was a great coach for the period that he's been here, just like Renney was a great coach for that point in the team's development. Renney helped to change the culture and bring along some kids. Torts helped to shape an identity and get the team doing the kind of dirty work needed to win games. The team has the talent (minus one or two players) to compete for a Cup. I just don't think Torts is the right guy to take the team down this stretch of highway. They need to find a coach who will keep the defense and bottom six doing dirty work, while also getting the most out of the skill guys in the top 6. Whether such a coach is available right now is the problem.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:20 PM
haveandare

Quote:
i agree w2 isnt gonna be here long. he "guesses so" ? what a ****ing clown comment that is right there.

hes everything torts hates. hes talented. hes european. hes got no "jam". dude is gonzo soon.

eventually we will have a whole line of brandon prusts.

good bye avery.
good bye zuc.
good bye w2.

if i were anisimov i wouldnt be buying a place anytime soon.
Like I've mentioned in a few other threads now, there are huge flaws in the argument that you offer constantly.

A. WW didn't ever do anything to earn time - why are you upset that he doesn't get it? You act like not playing crappy players is somehow the wrong thing to do. It was the same with Lisin. He was awful but you constantly complained about him not getting ice time. The point is to ice the best roster and try to win - not to unduly reward whatever player is your favorite at the time for existing.

B. Torts doesn't require everyone to play like Prust in order to get ice time, as shown by Gabby and Richards getting all the time that they can handle. If you don't play great offense you need to play good defense and WW hasn't done either of those two things so far.

C. You say Torts only wants Prusts on the team but you're mad that he got rid of Avery. Is Avery somehow not the type of player that you're referring to? What does Avery bring if not physical play and heavy forecheck - two staples of Prust's game?

D. As others mentioned, WW is Canadian and I'd argue that his "talented" status means nothing so long as he can't find a way to make any use of that talent.

And Lastly, AA isn't going anywhere. What Torts hates is players who don't have great offensive potential and also don't put in the effort to play solid D. Thats WW. Being "european" and "talented" has nothing to do with it.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Not saying it was you, but when people were upset about the way Torts handled Avery, the pro-Torts crowd went on and on about how much MZA was such a better player. Now that MZA has been sent down, he's a player with "obvious flaws in his game."
Okay but I'm not seeing many people suggest that MZA was sent down because of "obvious flaws in his game", I know I wasn't... Him being sent down wasn't even the subject matter really... It was the perception of how Torts treats those players... ODC belives Torts mistreats those players that he demands a lot out of in terms of not being a liability on the ice, and I highlighted that all of those players in question had obvious work to do on their games to earn more playing time.... MZA is in the AHL right now not because of poor play but because it's a numbers game and it doesn't make any sense to break up the Feds/Boyle/Prust line which has great chemistry and becomes the defacto 3rd line with Wolski out of the line-up.... If Wolski were healthy that automatically gives the team a 3rd line option of Wolski - Stepan - MZA.... With Wolski out of the line-up and Stepan looking pretty good on a brief stint on the top line, it doesn't make any sense to have MZA up here playing 6 minutes a night in a 4th line role when he could be getting 20+ in CT.... When Wolski is healthy that changes the dynamic of the line-up quite a bit in terms of potential lines....

Old
10-20-2011, 12:15 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

A bad groin could last 6 weeks. It did for me!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote