HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

IF Martin gets fired or no contract renewal, who takes his place?

Old
10-19-2011, 10:56 AM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You should listen to your own words.
Jacques Martin is not a rookie. He has a proven track record of doing OK and getting eliminated in the playoffs.

Habsterix was talking about rookie coaches, not old veteran coaches. Big difference.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Jacques Martin is not a rookie. He has a proven track record of doing OK and getting eliminated in the playoffs.

Habsterix was talking about rookie coaches, not old veteran coaches. Big difference.
Right.

Vigneault, went back down to refine his coaching.
Julien, got fired from Jersey, by the great Lamou, just a few games before the POs despite bringing his team to a 2nd place finish.
Therrien, got fired again and can't get a new job.
Carbo, had a chance to redeem himself with the U-18, and lead Canada's team to, if I remember correctly, their worst tournament outing to date.

Right, we should have been more patient with these guys..
Meanwhile, the man that has more than 1300 games of experience (obviously if he has so much experience is because he's mediocre), has a much shorter leash..

Habsterix was against the signing since day 1. There was no leash.

You'll have a tough time arguing that our team could have done better than what they have done these past two years given the injuries. We surpassed expectations, yet that's still insufficient. You don't like his style, fine. That doesn't mean he's a bad or mediocre coach.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:15 PM
SouthernHab

Kriss. JM is an AVERAGE coach. Steady, consistent and knows the x's and o's of hockey.

His style will never allow him to win a Cup. I wish that was not his history and his track record. I do not dislike Martin the person. Seems like a great guy. I dislike his coaching methods.

Therrien and Carbo are worse than Martin. Vigneault and Julien should have been given more time.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Kriss. JM is an AVERAGE coach. Steady, consistent and knows the x's and o's of hockey.

His style will never allow him to win a Cup. I wish that was not his history and his track record. I do not dislike Martin the person. Seems like a great guy. I dislike his coaching methods.

Therrien and Carbo are worse than Martin. Vigneault and Julien should have been given more time.
Average, ordinary, moderate, mediocre, it all means the same thing.

People learn from their mistakes and evolve. You don't think Martin is capable of doing so. I don't think either of our losses in the POs under Martin were his fault, I actually feel it's the opposite. His coaching made us exceed expectations and push teams to the limit.

Maybe Martin won't lead us to a cup, maybe it'll be because of coaching errors. This hasn't been the case so far. Time will tell if he actually gets the personnel required to reach the cup. If he doesn't, I know you'll be the first to bash Gauthier.

Old
10-19-2011, 05:11 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

your first line describes this guy, totally.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
your first line describes this guy, totally.
I am curious why Julien gets such bad reviews in general. His record coaching pro hockey is impressive, he's by many accounts an approachable and likeable man, but he can't muster fan respect.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I am curious why Julien gets such bad reviews in general. His record coaching pro hockey is impressive, he's by many accounts an approachable and likeable man, but he can't muster fan respect.
I never understood that myself. I often found myself on the Bruins board defending Julien on many occassions. He isn't a bad coach, yet everyone hates him. Bruins fans really hate him

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:53 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
men behind the bench have to put on a show nowadays to gain respect...

just look at most comments made in the past about him, JM and others like them... "he's sleeping behind the bench" will probably be the most common...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You should listen to your own words.
What does Martin have to do with rookie coaches exactly, as that's what we were talking about?

I have never been a Martin fan and he wasn't my first choice, that's true. But if you're honest for one second, you'll also remember that I also stated that I would give him the benefit of the doubt. Time's up. I can't stand him. I feel like this team would do better with a more creative, offensive minded coach. Disagree? Good for you.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
What does Martin have to do with rookie coaches exactly, as that's what we were talking about?

I have never been a Martin fan and he wasn't my first choice, that's true. But if you're honest for one second, you'll also remember that I also stated that I would give him the benefit of the doubt. Time's up. I can't stand him. I feel like this team would do better with a more creative, offensive minded coach. Disagree? Good for you.
So, if you think this team could do better, this mean you don't think we exceeded expectations? Or, let me guess, if you do, you think Martin deserves no credit?

Old
10-19-2011, 08:53 PM
HABSINCE76

Dear Mr.Molson

Please clean house send Martin and Gautier packing as soon as possible and hire a real GM and a players coach also send Gomez to the minors asap or lend him to the khl just get him out of here asap

HABSINCE76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:32 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Fact of the matter is, the game post lock-out is a different game than the entire Habs management staff is used to. The game has past them by and employing the old philosophies simply isn't going to work any more.

We need to get fresh blood, fresh ideals and fresh perspectives in this organization. The Ex-Ottawa Senators (who won nothing..) country club needs to be dismantled. The club needs to put an emphasis back on winning and stop diminishing the talent pool of management and coaches based on language issues. Get an translator for communicating with the media and they can take french classes if they so desire.

The game has changed. Our staff needs to as well.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:34 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSINCE76 View Post
Dear Mr.Molson

Please clean house send Martin and Gautier packing as soon as possible and hire a real GM and a players coach also send Gomez to the minors asap or lend him to the khl just get him out of here asap
I love posts like this that have absolutely no basis in reality.

SEND GOMEZ DOWN!!!11

I've never been a fan of gomez, but at this point he isn't hurting us, and even if we did send him down, what do we do with his cap room? Where do you find 7 million dollars worth of free agents to improve our team right now?

If gomez is ever sent down, it's because his play is so abysmal that they have no choice, and as much as I dislike gomez, he's playing better than he was last year. He went to the net quite a bit against Buffalo.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The club needs to put an emphasis back on winning and stop diminishing the talent pool of management and coaches based on language issues. Get an translator for communicating with the media and they can take french classes if they so desire.
This will never happen. I don't agree with the idea of the coaching having to be bilingual, but it's part of the reality. We play with a default handicap. Our selection is immidiately limited. We can cry all we want but it just doesn't work that way.

If you were owning the team, you'd probably agree with this same ******** policy whether you liked it or not.

Boivin after his contract expired had an interview in the Gazette where he didn't agree with this policy and said that they are at a disadvantage because of it but it is necessary.

Obviously the ideal is to remove it, but the ideal isn't always attainable in some cases and the case of Quebec is that instance.

Old
10-19-2011, 09:37 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

They should hire me as coach. It's obvious from my posts that I know everything. I can make full lineups and everything.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:43 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This will never happen. I don't agree with the idea of the coaching having to be bilingual, but it's part of the reality. We play with a default handicap. Our selection is immidiately limited. We can cry all we want but it just doesn't work that way.

If you were owning the team, you'd probably agree with this same ******** policy whether you liked it or not.

Boivin after his contract expired had an interview in the Gazette where he didn't agree with this policy and said that they are at a disadvantage because of it but it is necessary.

Obviously the ideal is to remove it, but the ideal isn't always attainable in some cases and the case of Quebec is that instance.
Winning makes it all go away.

If the results were there on the ice, do you think any one legitimately cares if the coach and GM speak french fluently? No.

Yes, when you lose, the microscope is there and it becomes a point of emphasis to add to the frustration. However, the Montreal Canadiens fan base extends far beyond the reaches of the province of Quebec and the mentality needs to change. It's 2011. Are we going to not allow Blacks or Homosexuals to take a position of the power in the organization because we follow archaic ideals?

Be proud of your nationality, be proud of your language. However, there is no reason to project this onto a sports team. Once, yes, there was some merit to it. It simply has died away and the only people who seem to care about it are people in the organization and those living in Quebec who do speak french or are of french descent. No longer are the games drummed up as some Anglophone v Francophone match-up.

Old
10-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Winning makes it all go away.

If the results were there on the ice, do you think any one legitimately cares if the coach and GM speak french fluently? No.

Yes, when you lose, the microscope is there and it becomes a point of emphasis to add to the frustration. However, the Montreal Canadiens fan base extends far beyond the reaches of the province of Quebec and the mentality needs to change. It's 2011. Are we going to not allow Blacks or Homosexuals to take a position of the power in the organization because we follow archaic ideals?

Be proud of your nationality, be proud of your language. However, there is no reason to project this onto a sports team. Once, yes, there was some merit to it. It simply has died away and the only people who seem to care about it are people in the organization and those living in Quebec who do speak french or are of french descent. No longer are the games drummed up as some Anglophone v Francophone match-up.
Do you not realize how fast this is gonna become a political issue and not just merely a sports one. It's not feasable in this market. I never said it wasn't stupid, you can give 100 reasons why it's dumb and I agree, but it is an issue and always will be. The political issue of Quebec culture is pervasive throughout Quebec no matter what level of society you are talking about.

It's an issue here to stay. He can sit here and act like it's easy to implement but everything is easier in word than in deed. I'm pretty sure if the Molsons could they would, but they won't because that is just the reality of playing in Quebec.

Old
10-19-2011, 09:48 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Do you not realize how fast this is gonna become a political issue and not just merely a sports one. It's not feasable in this market. I never said it wasn't stupid, you can give 100 reasons why it's dumb and I agree, but it is an issue and always will be. The political issue of Quebec culture is pervasive throughout Quebec no matter what level of society you are talking about.

It's an issue here to stay.
Until we have an owner and a management group committed to winning and winning only. You can be correct in assuming that may never happen and it likely may not.

Archaic ideals need to be put in the past where they belong. Unfortunately our organization is built upon one, selects management based upon it, and employs a dinosaur coaching staff and philosophy that implements strategies that are proving ineffective in the new NHL.