HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

NHL Game Center

Old
10-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
NHL Game Center

I know we got atleast a few people around here that have bought the package so I had just a few questions:

I was thinking about splitting it with a buddy of mine... Now on the MLB version it says you can't sign in from two locations but I've done it a hundred times so does it work like that with the NHL's?

Anyone use it from their iPhone/PS3 was wondering how good it worked on there?

Thanks in advance..

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:38 PM
KyleBailey12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
I know we got atleast a few people around here that have bought the package so I had just a few questions:

I was thinking about splitting it with a buddy of mine... Now on the MLB version it says you can't sign in from two locations but I've done it a hundred times so does it work like that with the NHL's?

Thanks in advance..
I was going to do the same thing with my cousin. I looked it up online and from what I found (Yahoo Answers) is that you can't sign on at the same time from two different locations. I don't know if this is entirely true, but I took their word for it.

As for the iPhone/PS3, I can't help you.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:32 PM
TheBoss22

I have NHL Game Center and use it mainly on my laptop or desktop computer and connect on my HDTV.

It works perfect as I can get the Isles feed in HD.

I've also used it on my iPhone. Works fine, but the iPhone screen is obviously too small.

I don't have an iPad (yet), but I'm assuming it would be just fine. Definitely better than iPhone.

No, you cannot log on to more than 1 location at the same time.

My first day I was watching the Isles/Florida game on my laptop, then another game on my iPhone and a few minutes later the Isles/Fla feed crapped out.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:38 AM
mabisles

I bought NHL Game Center to watch games on my laptop and PS3. It's ok but the HD quality over internet is not great though. I should have bought NHL Center ICE instead, it's a bit more expensive but the HD feed is way better.

mabisles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:40 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
I have ATT Uverse and live in NC, so I ordered GameCenter and also bought an LG Smart Blu Ray player, which cut a deal with the NHL to link to GameCenter. Unfortunately, the games are choppy via Blu Ray and I've now connected my laptop directly to the TV via HDMI. It is perfect now. I've called GameCenter and LG and I'm getting nowhere. GameCenter blames LG. So don't go that route if you are thinking about buying the blu-ray.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post

Thanks in advance..
I've been able to login with my password information on any computer, whereever I am.

I cannot tell your data can have you logged in at two computers at the same time.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:03 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabisles View Post
I bought NHL Game Center to watch games on my laptop and PS3. It's ok but the HD quality over internet is not great though. I should have bought NHL Center ICE instead, it's a bit more expensive but the HD feed is way better.
how much does center ice cost?

edith: ok got it. But center ice isnt an option for me, as it is available only in north america. I've had espn player for the last few months of last season and game center now...and i gotta say its sooo much better than watching a random feed. I can actually read the numbers of the players jerseys now and just so much more enjoyable to watch. I never miss the first 10 minutes. Never have to change feed in the middle of a period

i can really recommend it.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:08 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

I have it on my laptop and PS3 and I love it. It can be a little jumpy but when it works it's great!!

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Far East Island

I bought NHL Game Center Live but haven't tested to log in from two separate computers at the same time. I have an Android phone but as far as I know there's not an app to load the stream. There appears to be an app in the market but it says 2010 and doesn't look like to be the one.

FYI, NFL Game Pass did allow to log in at the same time between laptop and smartphone app although when I quit the smartphone then my laptop appeared to have logged me out (maybe a mere coincidence though).

Far East Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:45 AM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far East Island View Post
I bought NHL Game Center Live but haven't tested to log in from two separate computers at the same time. I have an Android phone but as far as I know there's not an app to load the stream. There appears to be an app in the market but it says 2010 and doesn't look like to be the one.

FYI, NFL Game Pass did allow to log in at the same time between laptop and smartphone app although when I quit the smartphone then my laptop appeared to have logged me out (maybe a mere coincidence though).
You need to download the NHL Game Center 2011 app. At least that's what I had to do with my iPhone.

Old
10-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Far East Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
You need to download the NHL Game Center 2011 app. At least that's what I had to do with my iPhone.
Thanks, but somehow couldn't find it in the Android Market. Well, will wait and see...

Far East Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Moosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
how much does center ice cost?
Hi, Lukas. I paid $170 for Center Ice on the early bird special my cable provider Comcast offered. I've had Center Ice for 10 years, and the price has only gone up $30 in that time. Hey, my hometown USHL junior team has a player named Emil Romig from Vienna, and last season we had Peter Schneider, who played on your World Junior team last year. Peter is now studying at Notre Dame. What a great guy!

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:15 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far East Island View Post
Thanks, but somehow couldn't find it in the Android Market. Well, will wait and see...
I remember I couldn't find it at first as well.

Then I deleted my 2010 app and then did a search and it was there.

Also just checked out the NHL site and an app for Android should be available (it says coming soon, but it also says coming soon for iPhone as well)

http://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/cdsignup.jsp

Old
10-19-2011, 12:21 PM
replayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
I remember I couldn't find it at first as well.

Then I deleted my 2010 app and then did a search and it was there.

Also just checked out the NHL site and an app for Android should be available (it says coming soon, but it also says coming soon for iPhone as well)

http://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/cdsignup.jsp
The GameCenter app for Android has been live for a few days. I bought the middle version (audio) the other day and used to it to listen to the Isles/Rangers game the other night while I was out and about.

replayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:23 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
My cable provider used to give out the Game Center free with purchase of Center Ice. And I would rarely use Game Center (unless away from home).

However, I don't think I could go back to Center Ice as I don't have the ability to access my PVR remotely. So with Game Center I don't worry about forgetting to record the game.

Plus, we never get the MSG Isles feed in HD on Center Ice, and quality for me is perfect. I have a fast desktop and laptop (quad core i5 & i7). I used to have problems last year with pixelation and bumps. But this year, so far so good.

The only thing I miss out on is the Pre Game show and the MSG intermission commentary.

Old
10-19-2011, 12:29 PM
needzmoarcleary
#FireHolland

The app for android came out like a week ago or something, I bought the subscription then couldn't watch it on my phone (I was pissed atm lol). I'm happy with it, I've had it the last two seasons, couldn't complian. I'm not sure if you can log on in in multiple locations. I know my buddy gave me his login for hbo-go and if one of use was on it wouldn't let you log in at two spots. I imagine it would be the same with this but who knows.

needzmoarcleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:38 PM
bluechipbonzo

Keep in mind that the price of gamecenter drops down to around $70 after Christmas, if you can wait that long...

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:07 PM
periferal

Quote:

I thought that NHL CENTER ICE doesn't have all HD feeds yet no?

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayer View Post
The GameCenter app for Android has been live for a few days. I bought the middle version (audio) the other day and used to it to listen to the Isles/Rangers game the other night while I was out and about.
I bought the middle version for iPhone for now and its ok.. I have one major gripe with it because the audio will cut out if the screen is locked or hibernates. I bought it to listen at work and put it in my pocket cause I can't just sit there tapping the screen to keep it alive. They need to update that cause MLB's app never had that problem and the only rememedy I could find was to switch settings so my phone never auto-locks but that drains my battery insanely quick.

Old
10-19-2011, 05:32 PM
StumpNYI

This season is my first GCL experience. Always had center ice. Comcast has never once broadcasted an HD game on center ice. Once reason I tried GCL this year and for the use on my ps3.

One of the biggest disappointments for me is that fact that the PS3 app wouldnt show the stream until the puck drops. So i dont see any of the pregame stuff and usually the first minute or two of the game. Its very annoying. The only work around is to watch it on your computer while you wait for the live feed to become available on ps3.

That brings me to the next problem I have with GCL and may concern you with splitting it with another person. If I'm watching it on the computer waiting for the PS3 feed to be available it will automoatically log me off of the computer GCL as soon as its shows up on ps3 and not even when i load the feed. Then it wont stay logged in on the computer. Intermittently it will just log me off if the ps3 app is running. I think i have tried logging into to two different computers in my house and it didnt work either.

Another problem is there is no setting on the ps3 app that lets you select your prefered quality. So in the middle of a game it will just downgrade the quality and jump back a few seconds and then when the bandwidth is available again it will updrage the quality and again jump back a few seconds. This happens constantly throughout the games and is also very annoying.

I'm not sure all of this is worth the better picture quality. Though it will be cool once the smartphone apps are available and I you do have the ability to watch a game where ever there is the internet. i like that you can watch multiple feeds and check in game and league stats while watching (although it has caused audio to video lag sometimes while doing it)

For me I kind of wish I bought center ice instead. GCL is good and is getting better and will be the preferred choice soon enough. Its just too much work right now and the stability of center ice is much better. I am still learning and most of these problems I can learn to live with and expect them to improve on.

This is the longest post I have ever written...I dont even know if this answered your questions but I guess I'm hoping someone debating what to do will read this and make up there mind because some of these things I wish i knew before I dropped $170.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Bunk Moreland

Thanks for responses.. I don't have a ps3 so I don't know how it works it's an app for it? My friends have ps3's would I be able to sign in on their systems whenever I'm at their houses to catch a few games or would it have to be only on one ps3.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:16 PM
will5059

I live in new haven county ct and Comcast doesn't offer msg+ up here. My town (Madison ,CT) also had ancient cable lines up until last year so center ice wasn't even an option for before this season. Last year I got gamecenterlive on my ps3 and love it. You can set it so it doesn't give away the scores so it's perfect for if you can't make it home by 7 but want to watch the game without spoiling the ending. I find with the recent upgrade in the cable lines the picture quality is just below HD, but miles better than standard def. (not sure if the new lines on the street effect Internet speed, but whatever)Now after talking to many Comcast customer service reps I found out that the amount of HD games availible on center ice varies from town to town depending on the lines on the street . Ours are now up to date so we get like 4 or 5 games in hd a night. But the fact that gamecenter let's me watch the game in it's entirety or in condensed form keeps me from switching. Oh and there's a three year archive and classic games dating back to the 60's . Hope that helps.

will5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:47 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I thought that NHL CENTER ICE doesn't have all HD feeds yet no?
They have what the broadcaster gives them. Dolanvision still screws us out of a majority of HD feeds. Your best bet for isles in HD is the other team's broadcast, but it has to be a non-MSG market.

I have it and wouldn't trade it for the world, but MSG ruins it for Islander games for more than half the games.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:24 AM
OlTimeHockey

I have rabbit ears and get the occasional LD game and I'm fine with it so long as Aunt Edna doesn't have the winds.

That said, as an Isles fan, I'd be worrying about a quality TV because no matter what, we're not gonna get HD if someone has to get bumped. I've never had a bad quality feed with DTV Center Ice.

Quote:
But the fact that gamecenter let's me watch the game in it's entirety or in condensed form keeps me from switching. Oh and there's a three year archive and classic games dating back to the 60's . Hope that helps.
That sounds awesome. Too much green, though.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:55 AM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by will5059 View Post
I live in new haven county ct and Comcast doesn't offer msg+ up here. My town (Madison ,CT) also had ancient cable lines up until last year so center ice wasn't even an option for before this season. Last year I got gamecenterlive on my ps3 and love it. You can set it so it doesn't give away the scores so it's perfect for if you can't make it home by 7 but want to watch the game without spoiling the ending. I find with the recent upgrade in the cable lines the picture quality is just below HD, but miles better than standard def. (not sure if the new lines on the street effect Internet speed, but whatever)Now after talking to many Comcast customer service reps I found out that the amount of HD games availible on center ice varies from town to town depending on the lines on the street . Ours are now up to date so we get like 4 or 5 games in hd a night. But the fact that gamecenter let's me watch the game in it's entirety or in condensed form keeps me from switching. Oh and there's a three year archive and classic games dating back to the 60's . Hope that helps.
Yes, I forgot about that perk!!! I love watching classic games with Chara in an Isles uniform