HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Lounge XIX (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2011, 09:22 PM
BluejacketNut

vCash: 500
18 Tigers?!? WTF, thats probably more then there is in India!

Old
10-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Mynameismark*

Shoot to kill? Not even an escaped prisoner such as a rapist or serial killer would receive such a harsh order and such disrespect.

These animals died today because of the stupidity of humans and their desire to interfere and meddle in everything.

They should have been free and liberated in their own natural habitat, not living on some farm and being fed. Not around for our entertainment.

**** off "humans".

Old
10-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

most of the animals are being reported as being sick and malnurished...sounds like many of them would not make it any ways...

I like all of the ppl who are saying that this is inhumane...could you imagine if one of the lions attacked a child...wow...

yes, the guy was awful for owning all of those animals, he was obviously unsettled to let them all free and then commit suicide...but he's the one that's to blame for this...not the sheriff

Old
10-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Mynameismark*

Oh no, not the children!! Cant have that. They wouldnt have had to worry about the safety of their precious children if the authorities of Ohio would have actually taken care of this situation years ago. Wild animals are NOT pets. Nobody has a right to deny these animals their right to live freely.

It's like when humans move into habitats where the animals roam freely, and then complain when they get attacked or are at risk and they demand these animals be shot just in case they attack or hurt an innocent human. Hey bozos, you moved into their habitat, you encroached. You have to understand you dont own the earth, you share it. With a number of different species.

Humans...

Old
10-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

um....technically he did have the right...may not be right...may be dumb that its true...but he had the right to have whatever he wanted as a "pet"

Old
10-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
um....technically he did have the right...may not be right...may be dumb that its true...but he had the right to have whatever he wanted as a "pet"
Which is why I blame Ohio and society at large--along with the idiot.

For the record, I don't blame the officers. They were just doing what they knew the majority would require them to do. The officers would have been blamed if even one person had been harmed and they hadn't done everything in their power to prevent that. We like to play with fire and wonder how we could possibly have gotten burned: Not playing with fire certainly isn't the answer.

Old
10-20-2011, 01:00 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
Oh no, not the children!! Cant have that. They wouldnt have had to worry about the safety of their precious children if the authorities of Ohio would have actually taken care of this situation years ago. Wild animals are NOT pets. Nobody has a right to deny these animals their right to live freely.

It's like when humans move into habitats where the animals roam freely, and then complain when they get attacked or are at risk and they demand these animals be shot just in case they attack or hurt an innocent human. Hey bozos, you moved into their habitat, you encroached. You have to understand you dont own the earth, you share it. With a number of different species.

Humans...
This is all well and good, but seeing how the sheriffs department didn't have a delorean, I'm going to say they made the best decision they could at the time. You can't fix the past.

It's a shame this happened, and I hope some good can come out of it.

Old
10-20-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Shoot to kill? Not even an escaped prisoner such as a rapist or serial killer would receive such a harsh order and such disrespect.
What's your suggestion, then? Tranquilizers don't work immediately and the officers are protected by glass windows in cars, at most.

Should they shoot them with tranquilizers and play keep-away? Should they somehow transport in 40+ traps big enough to capture lions and tigers wandering somewhere in an entire, heavily-wooded county?

The only option here was to shoot to kill. If they were close enough to shoot them, they were close enough to get charged and mauled.

It sucks. Shooting to kill makes more sense than any other option.

Old
10-20-2011, 09:24 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:

Humans...
Then maybe you should go live in the wild? I love how you state your disgust in humans, but are taking full advantage of all the technology that we have provided.

You can go be like that guy and his wife who lived in Alaska, with the bears....oh wait he was mauled to death by a bear. You know who gets rights to land, resources, etc... The most advanced species, and the species who has the least amount of predators. Since we are the most advanced, and we have very few natural predators, we kind of decide how things go.

To everyone saying Ohio needs a stricter law, that is complete ********. The last thing we need is another law encroaching on our rights to own and do what we want.

Old
10-20-2011, 09:34 AM
CBJwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
To everyone saying Ohio needs a stricter law, that is complete ********. The last thing we need is another law encroaching on our rights to own and do what we want.
lol is this serious or sarcastic?

Old
10-20-2011, 10:03 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:

Humans...
Oh give me a break, are you suggesting that you care more about the lives of these animals than that of the people that these animals had the capability of killing?

Maybe you should go live among the Lions or Tigers if you hate humans so much. Does "hypocrite" fit here?

Old
10-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
You kind of fed into my point.
Your point was that you were worried about potential injuries due to cops firing guns to kill wild animals.

Quote:
I didn't say animal control did I? Having said that, Florida animal control can deal with things like alligators and poisonous snakes. We aren't a swamp to be sure and this isn't normal, just pointing out a fact.
You asked why no agency was called, when in fact the Columbus Zoo was involved right away. Don't point fingers when you don't know the details. And alligators are indigenous to Florida. I haven't seen too many tigers wandering the Ohio countryside. Black bears are rumored to be returning to this state, so maybe there should be more training on handling dangerous 'big game' because of this.

Quote:
The invention of the traq gun (in this case rifle) must be a foreign concept out there. If I am a cop and I live in an area with exotic animals of this kind, I might try and make a contingency in case they were set loose and hopefully lethal force is only needed as backup.
The news interviewed one vet who said she risked her life to get within 30 feet of a tiger to shoot it with a tranq gun, and the tiger immediately charged the vet. Cops shot it right away. What do you want them to do: risk losing the animal in the dark woods or shoot it and eliminate any question of it being able to harm anyone?

To put this into perspective: here's a group of guys using high-powered rifles trying to shoot a lion. Shows you just how powerful these animals are and how much it takes to stop one.

Last edited by Zoo16: 10-20-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old
10-20-2011, 11:32 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Ok, which one of you did this...I want to give you a high 5! Chive On!

Old
10-20-2011, 01:11 PM
BluejacketNut

commie22 Mike Commodore
Anyone in Cbus want to make 10 bucks? Can someone pop by my townhouse and make sure that Herpes Ape isn't lounging in my rooftop hot tub?
17 hours ago
in reply to ↑

@ZanesvilleLion
Zanesville Lion
@commie22 I can come by and check, but if he's in there, man, that hot tub's gone. Just move.

Old
10-20-2011, 01:43 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo16 View Post
Your point was that you were worried about potential injuries due to cops firing guns to kill wild animals.
Which is exactly what can happen when you cops in fields shooting guns.

Quote:
You asked why no agency was called, when in fact the Columbus Zoo was involved right away.
Read again... People have a hard time with the English language these days.... I said "Was there no one that could be called". I never said they didn't. I asked a question, I did not accuse them of not doing it.

Quote:
The news interviewed one vet who said she risked her life to get within 30 feet of a tiger to shoot it with a tranq gun, and the tiger immediately charged the vet. Cops shot it right away. What do you want them to do: risk losing the animal in the dark woods or shoot it and eliminate any question of it being able to harm anyone?
Excellent, thank you... That's what I said, try and capture with lethal force as the backup. Maybe they did exactly what I would hope they would have done. Details were sketchy and there were a lot of dead animals fairly quick.

For Christ's sake, these were innocent questions. There was not a lot of data one way or another on what they were doing. They did manage to capture some animals. Not sure how they did it, but good for them. If you don't ask questions, you just get what's spoon fed to you.

Listening to people like you gives me an f'ing migraine... You are going in the bucket with the rest... Inquires are not accusations. I wasn't overly critical. I was hoping someone would answer the questions, instead I got someone who thought I was calling out everyone under the sun to being on a gun happy killing spree to have some pelts in their house or something. /yeehaw!

However, the one thing I am not sure of is if local law enforcement had any preparation plans. I admit I haven't looked.

Last edited by blahblah: 10-20-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old
10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

I don't think a whole lot of prep went into it...I think it was all reactionary decisions...no proactive measures once the tranqs didn't work.

also i think why Jungle Jack is so distraught b/c I think his hope was they could save them all, and when the tranqs didn't work the first couple of times, they just started shooting them...

Old
10-20-2011, 01:53 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
I don't think a whole lot of prep went into it...I think it was all reactionary decisions...no proactive measures once the tranqs didn't work.

also i think why Jungle Jack is so distraught b/c I think his hope was they could save them all, and when the tranqs didn't work the first couple of times, they just started shooting them...
I know I'm distraught. I just wanted to know what happened from the time they knew something was up until the killing started and that every avenue available to people was used.

I'm not part of PITA or anything and I didn't want anyone hurt, but these are magnificent creatures. I want to make sure people use this as a lessons learned exercise.

What I didn't want is some person accusing me of crap I didn't say and making it sound like I was making a huge deal out of it.

If they answer is "We had tried professionals attempting to tranq the animals and used lethal force on failure" I am very happy with that answer. That sounds reasonable.

Old
10-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Quote:
Which is exactly what can happen when you cops in fields shooting guns.
Good grief. Yes, there can be accidents, but you have to agree that there's a HUGE difference between cops (who are required to take many hours of firearm training and keep current on it) shooting at wild animals would be safer than your average person with a firearm doing the same.

Quote:
Read again... People have a hard time with the English language these days.... I said "Was there no one that could be called". I never said they didn't. I asked a question, I did not accuse them of not doing it.
And you have a great way of twisting the English language. You made an assumption, and phrased it to insinuate that no one was called. Big difference between an inquiry and an assumption.

Quote:
Excellent, thank you... That's what I said, try and capture with lethal force as the backup. Maybe they did exactly what I would hope they would have done. Details were sketchy and there were a lot of dead animals fairly quick.

For Christ's sake, these were innocent questions. There was not a lot of data one way or another on what they were doing. They did manage to capture some animals. Not sure how they did it, but good for them. If you don't ask questions, you just get what's spoon fed to you.

Listening to people like you gives me an f'ing migraine... You are going in the bucket with the rest... Inquires are not accusations. I wasn't overly critical. I was hoping someone would answer the questions, instead I got someone who thought I was calling out everyone under the sun to being on a gun happy killing spree to have some pelts in their house or something. /yeehaw!

However, the one thing I am not sure of is if local law enforcement had any preparation plans. I admit I haven't looked.
And there you have it. In the few minutes it took you to post on a forum, you could have checked the details and not needed to ask here. Do you really think you'll get any better info on a hockey forum than the news?

Edit:

Quote:
I know I'm distraught. I just wanted to know what happened from the time they knew something was up until the killing started and that every avenue available to people was used.

I'm not part of PITA or anything and I didn't want anyone hurt, but these are magnificent creatures. I want to make sure people use this as a lessons learned exercise.

What I didn't want is some person accusing me of crap I didn't say and making it sound like I was making a huge deal out of it.

If they answer is "We had tried professionals attempting to tranq the animals and used lethal force on failure" I am very happy with that answer. That sounds reasonable.
Fair enough. I am not on a witch hunt, just felt like your inquiries were fairly biased against every decision that was made when you admitted that you had not done much checking on the details. Just came off as being lazy, that's all.

Last edited by Zoo16: 10-20-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old
10-20-2011, 04:49 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
This is all well and good, but seeing how the sheriffs department didn't have a delorean, I'm going to say they made the best decision they could at the time. You can't fix the past.

It's a shame this happened, and I hope some good can come out of it.
Maybe this will make it's way into the next department budget:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/1530...lux-capacitor/

Old
10-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
commie22 Mike Commodore
Anyone in Cbus want to make 10 bucks? Can someone pop by my townhouse and make sure that Herpes Ape isn't lounging in my rooftop hot tub?
17 hours ago
in reply to ↑

@ZanesvilleLion
Zanesville Lion
@commie22 I can come by and check, but if he's in there, man, that hot tub's gone. Just move.
lol... nice response.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
So, at least I get to meet Jeff Smith tomorrow.

Any other Bone fans here?

Old
10-24-2011, 02:04 PM
kshymkiw

My completely off topic video

I don't know if it will work. Can anyone recognize the music in the background?

Old
10-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 1133
I'm embarrassed to admit I'll be watching that when it comes back.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:28 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit I'll be watching that when it comes back.
I have the series set to record on my DVR. Beavis and Butthead was my teenage years as far as TV is concerned.

I will be watching it.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
I can't wait

Closed Thread