HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik - Beast Mode

Old
10-16-2011, 11:56 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He does look insanely alpha.

Whereas Christensen looks very beta.
I think we're all hoping it's the omega for him at this point.

mrjimmyg89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:22 AM
Machinehead
Siez and toffnuss!

Put your helmets on folks, Machinehead is about to have a positive thought

Check this out. Gaborik is a multi-time 40 goal scorer and if healthy () has the skill to drop 50. We all know this. What I never really thought about is this: who was his best center in Minnesota? Pierre Marc Bouchard? Meh. And here? Even worse. Gaborik has been able to put up impressive goal scoring numbers while never having a top center. The career high for a Gaborik center is 50 assists, 63 points by Bouchard in '08. That nowhere even close to Richards production. So what I'm getting it is, we've never seen Gaborik flank a real bonafide center before, and the results could be scary...in a good way

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:58 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Well... yes. Our D last night had a very hard time getting the puck out of the zone. The Isles were progressively forechecking behind the net all game. When you can't get the puck out of your own zone, it prevents offense from happening. When you have Staal and Sauer back in the line-up, the D is much better and can create offensive zone time.
Since when is Staal good at getting the puck out of our zone?

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:01 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Most of Tavares' goals are coming off of deflections...i just dont see him continuing to get those bounces...
That is not true at all. He is just one of the best offensive players in the league. I would not be surprised if he leads the league in points.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Put your helmets on folks, Machinehead is about to have a positive thought

Check this out. Gaborik is a multi-time 40 goal scorer and if healthy () has the skill to drop 50. We all know this. What I never really thought about is this: who was his best center in Minnesota? Pierre Marc Bouchard? Meh. And here? Even worse. Gaborik has been able to put up impressive goal scoring numbers while never having a top center. The career high for a Gaborik center is 50 assists, 63 points by Bouchard in '08. That nowhere even close to Richards production. So what I'm getting it is, we've never seen Gaborik flank a real bonafide center before, and the results could be scary...in a good way
Oh snap!

Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Matteau Matteau

I'm excited about what I see. It seems like he's more confident, too, maybe even loose and having some fun. It sucks that we don't have a win yet, of course, but it's nice to see a few bright spots.

It seems like he's been freed up to shoot more and do what he's supposed to do. Last year I was frustrated by what I saw as him being forced to--or perhaps choosing--to pass the puck too much. Maybe because we had no elite puck mover. Against the Isles when he saw the breakout unfolding, charged toward the offensive zone and took a perfect, fast, hard pass from Richards leading to the snap-snot goal--I was like, now THAT'S what we've been waiting to see!

I do think the offense will settle in and click, and I hope the PP does. If that happens, we could be pretty hard to stop.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Kritikal

Send a message via MSN to Kritikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
He's not a great deker, and it seems as if he can never get a good shot off if he's being defended. However, if he's wide open, it's almost assuredly a goal (if he's in this mindset and form).
I disagree. If you look back both years, you'll see he's scored many goals by using the defender as a screen--shooting through his legs or whatnot. Between the screen and his quick release, he catches many goalies off-guard because they assume the shot will be blocked or come in low.

Kritikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Kritikal

Send a message via MSN to Kritikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Missing defensive defensemen is a reason why we can't score???
Sauer is more of an all-around D-man than defensive. Yes, he's defensively sound, but he's our best pincher (rarely resulting in a breakout the other way) and is very sneaky when they drop coverage on him, creeping into the high slot when the puck is behind their net. I see big things ahead for Sauer if he can stay healthy.

Staal, while being one of the league's better shut-down D-men, has offensive instincts that he uses selectively. He may not be the best puck mover, but he'll make the safe pass and knows when to join the rush (something MDZ needs to learn). Staal's a very cerebral D-man, and his loss is abundantly felt across this team.

Without Staal, we're missing a solid second pairing, but without him and Sauer, our second pairing is average and our third pairing is mediocre. When everyone's healthy, we could use two of MDZ/Erixon/Eminger 14-16 minutes and not ride our top pairing for half the game--there's no way in hell they can keep that up for an extended period of time without completely burning out.

Last edited by Kritikal: 10-17-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Kritikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Because he is Staal... He isn't Michael Del Zotto, Jeff Woywitka, or Steve "I like to play with the puck behind the net for way too long" Eminger. He doesn't allow the other team to puck possess for an entire minute straight. I'm not talking about making outlet passes, I'm talking about getting the puck off of the other teams sticks and allowing our team to skate up ice. Like I said in the Isles game, we were being forechecked the **** out of and our Dmen couldn't handle it. Girardi and McD was the only capable pairing all night. The puck was stuck in our zone way too much due to terrible behind the net play by the d men and not nearly good enough coverage. Staal and Sauer back will fix that, big time.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:32 AM
Dorado*

Beasts help propel teams to a W . JT on the isles -= Beast Mode . Gaby , looks much more lively 3 games in

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Dubi 17 View Post
ok so i heard some stuff but don't rip on me for saying it. I work at a bar and these 2 guys who are passionate ranger fans come in. I always talk with these guys and there from Smithtown aka they know a lot of guys who came out of long island who are in the nhl (komisarek, higgins, and birnstill whos in the danish league) One of birnstills brothers was out one night with dubi and a bunch of other rangers said gabby last year was going through some relationship problems. Heard "his fiance left him" . Now if that's true i understand why he could of had a bad season. I've seen countless times when people break up it totally changes the person and there's always **** on your mind. Happened to someone i know close and he was a totally different person and playing hockey with him wasn't even the same! Swear to god.. just wanted to throw that tidbit in there.
Wait... So are you saying that hockey players are actually human?? Who knew

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Ranger109

Hope he picks up a pair of two tonight!

Can't wait for tonights game!

Ranger109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:01 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
He has that jump back. He's engaging. He's even been somewhat physical. When the puck's on his stick he's attacking again.

If he maintains this play he's going to have a career year. Richards has helped, but I think Gaborik will succeed with almost anyone with the way he's been playing. Exciting ****
Exactly. If you ask me, Stepan had nice chemistry with him and had a knack for finding him. Richards on the other hand seemed to have better chemistry with Dubinsky than Gaborik and was forcing play with Gaborik.

The only downside I can say from Gaborik, right now, is that he seems to be hanging the offensive zone and I'm ok if that's what he needs to do to get going offensively but down the line, I'd prefer for him to be a complete player like he has been in the past, I'm not a fan of Phil Kessel.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:57 PM
pete3589

Some general musings:

1. Something was definitely wrong with Gabby last year. It could have been many things, though I personally think the shoulder was limiting him. Both his shot, and his skating were not where it usually has been.

2. We are 4 games in. its nice to see production, but the body of work is still small.

3. I noticed Gabby has changed to a different stick this year.

pete3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:06 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
You wouldn't know because you clearly don't watch many games.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Staal has always been very good at managing and moving the puck in the defensive zone.... Where his passing skills and puck moving ability is limited is in the offensive zone and & neutral zone...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:34 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

I am incredibly encouraged by what I've seen from Gaborik this year. Even his goal last night, which was just a tap in, demonstrated his ability to find open ice and be in the right place at the right time. That's what he's pain to do.

Gabby= 50 goals... LOCK

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:47 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
i think its due to the fact that the pressure is off him to do all of the scoring. he can rely on richards, he probably feels more confident with a true #1 center along side him and its translated into goals in 3 of 4 games. hopefully they only get better, because when gaborik is healthy, we all know what he can do. ive enjoyed richards so far for sure, hes quickly becoming my new favorite ranger

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
I am incredibly encouraged by what I've seen from Gaborik this year. Even his goal last night, which was just a tap in, demonstrated his ability to find open ice and be in the right place at the right time.
Agreed. Not only the ability, but the freedom to be in the right place IMO.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont think he ever got 100% healthy last year. i think his shoulder was hurting him, and it caused his shot to be about half the speed it usually was. in the game against the Canucks there was 1 play where he let got a wrister from above the circles that hit the glass before luongo even realized he had shot the puck. the velocity is there this year, it wasnt last year. when he has confidence in his shot, it gives him confidence in all aspects of his game, because if you know Gabby cant score from the outside, you give him everything out there and take away his speed by backing up a little. now it looks like defenseman have to respect his shot, giving him a chance to beat them with his speed.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
I am incredibly encouraged by what I've seen from Gaborik this year. Even his goal last night, which was just a tap in, demonstrated his ability to find open ice and be in the right place at the right time. That's what he's pain to do.
In Tuesday night's game I believe in the 1st period, I watched him skate hard through the neutral zone on a backcheck and lift a player's stick to disrupt a play and create a turnover... When I saw that I was thinking we'll be getting a different Gaborik this season than the one we saw last because 4 games in, he looks like a different player - more determined and focused.

Quote:
i dont think he ever got 100% healthy last year. i think his shoulder was hurting him, and it caused his shot to be about half the speed it usually was. in the game against the Canucks there was 1 play where he let got a wrister from above the circles that hit the glass before luongo even realized he had shot the puck. the velocity is there this year, it wasnt last year. when he has confidence in his shot, it gives him confidence in all aspects of his game, because if you know Gabby cant score from the outside, you give him everything out there and take away his speed by backing up a little. now it looks like defenseman have to respect his shot, giving him a chance to beat them with his speed.
His head was not in the game last year.... He wasn't skating with any consistent level of intensity and subsequently the coaching staff was all over him about not moving his legs enough out there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregNYR19 View Post
i think its due to the fact that the pressure is off him to do all of the scoring. he can rely on richards, he probably feels more confident with a true #1 center along side him and its translated into goals in 3 of 4 games. hopefully they only get better, because when gaborik is healthy, we all know what he can do. ive enjoyed richards so far for sure, hes quickly becoming my new favorite ranger
In a weird way I would say that there is some element of pressure to deliver now for the very fact that he does have a #1 Center playing with him, so there's really no excuses not to perform.... Sure I bet he's feeling more confident about his ability to score now that he's got a prime set-up man centering his line, but he also has to know that there is increased expectation for him to put up points for that very reason....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 10-20-2011 at 03:14 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:46 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
in the game against the Canucks there was 1 play where he let got a wrister from above the circles that hit the glass before luongo even realized he had shot the puck.
I remember that shot, and I commented on another board about the same thing you said. His shoulder appears to be healed and that only means bad things for the other teams in the East.

I still think his accuracy isn't quite where it was, but some practice time should be able to take care of that.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:25 PM
MSG the place to be*

I will never be a fan of this tin man unless he magically learns to play with dexterity.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:30 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The guy's on TSN, when Gabby made the shot I think you guys are talking about, said something like "and THAT one had vapor trails behind it."

That's the Gaborik we need.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:34 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Dubi 17 View Post
ok so i heard some stuff but don't rip on me for saying it. I work at a bar and these 2 guys who are passionate ranger fans come in. I always talk with these guys and there from Smithtown aka they know a lot of guys who came out of long island who are in the nhl (komisarek, higgins, and birnstill whos in the danish league) One of birnstills brothers was out one night with dubi and a bunch of other rangers said gabby last year was going through some relationship problems. Heard "his fiance left him" . Now if that's true i understand why he could of had a bad season. I've seen countless times when people break up it totally changes the person and there's always **** on your mind. Happened to someone i know close and he was a totally different person and playing hockey with him wasn't even the same! Swear to god.. just wanted to throw that tidbit in there.

Not for nothing but...2 of his best friends died this summer in a tragic way no less....I think that would affect him more than his relationship ending. but whatever, he's taking the tragedy in stride so good for him.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote