HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10/25 - Bell returned to Whale

Old
10-18-2011, 08:17 PM
KenGuru

vCash: 500
Hockeyplayers are like other athletes too. They surely think about money. Zuccarello will be paid 80.000 dollars to play in AHL a year. He can earn 600-700.000 dollars in Sweden. So I wonder how patient he can be. His contract finishes in 7 months with NYR so I am pretty sure he will not sign a new contract anyhow. After what I have heard from his agent he is not comfortable with the style they play under Tortorella.

KenGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGuru View Post
Hockeyplayers are like other athletes too. They surely think about money. Zuccarello will be paid 80.000 dollars to play in AHL a year. He can earn 600-700.000 dollars in Sweden. So I wonder how patient he can be. His contract finishes in 7 months with NYR so I am pretty sure he will not sign a new contract anyhow. After what I have heard from his agent he is not comfortable with the style they play under Tortorella.
If the Rangers don't qualify him (which they won't if he doesn't make an impression at the NHL level), he'll become a free agent with the ability of sign with any organization. One of them might very well be willing to offer him a one-way contract, paying him close to what he would get in the SEL.

My bet is that he will be traded before the end of the season.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:34 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
I don't think the Rangers are that worried about it. The odds are stacked against Zuc, and it didn't cost them any assets to get him to begin with. I doubt they'd keep him at the deadline if they intend on continuing with him and vice versa, so they won't get nothing for him. Good asset management no matter how you look at it.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:05 AM
Artemia

Quote:
Yep, although he can probably make more than that in Sweden, close to 1 million. They havent forgotten how well he played there and can probably become the highest paid player in SEL.

Artemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Xtranova

With our history of injuries the last couple of campaigns I think he will be back before December. Might even produce pretty decent/ well. Once the injured guys are back he might get traded. Sad, but realistic.

I think a lot of us will pull our hair if he succeeds in another club.

Ok, so he is not MSL, but at the same time the whole "MSL didn't produce until he was 27" is an exciting fact. It's not about a late bloomer here because he already showed his skillset. The reason why is because he hasn't got the consistent minutes to proove his worth 100%. But off course, you don't have to be Scottie Bowman to see that this style of play is not ment for him... I think he would have shown his potential in a finesse Red Wings team. Might even have had a go at a ring....

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Placid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemia View Post
Yep, although he can probably make more than that in Sweden, close to 1 million. They havent forgotten how well he played there and can probably become the highest paid player in SEL.
Zuke has stated multiple times that money has no influence on his decisions, but that his focus is on becoming the best he can be on the ice.

Yes, of course he knows that he can return to Sweden and get welcomed with open arms there, but he has always been very goal oriented. So hopefully he'll tough it out and crossing fingers for him getting traded to a team that is willing to give him a fair shot.

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:42 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Wrong. He will be paid 65 000 in a AHL year. The defender Jonas Holøs,who was realesed from his contract with Colorado,is getting paid 75 000 a month,including his sign on fee 250 000. with Väksjö Lakers in SEL
Zuccarello could easily get something like that,so I figure its very hard for him to stay in the AHL

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:25 AM
Xtranova

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Wrong. He will be paid 65 000 in a AHL year. The defender Jonas Holøs,who was realesed from his contract with Colorado,is getting paid 75 000 a month,including his sign on fee 250 000. with Väksjö Lakers in SEL
Zuccarello could easily get something like that,so I figure its very hard for him to stay in the AHL
I think and hope that Placid is right. Seems like MZA is very determined to complete his goals along the way. Ok, so every player will decide when enough is enough, but at the same time I'm not sure he is willing to throw in the towell just yet. The rookie year might be slightly different, but he handled his demotions then perfectly. Just took it as a man, went down put up points every time and got re-called. This might happen this year as well. This is a guy who has had a "you'll never gonna make it" stamp in every step of his carreer. So why go back to Sweden when you can try for 7 more months? I think he will try and that his agent tells him to stick with it and make a trade for a one way deal next year. Remember that the Rangers weren't the only organization chasing him back then. Maple Leafs, Wings... to mention a few. And he has only become a better player since then in my eyes.

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placid View Post
Zuke has stated multiple times that money has no influence on his decisions, but that his focus is on becoming the best he can be on the ice.

Yes, of course he knows that he can return to Sweden and get welcomed with open arms there, but he has always been very goal oriented. So hopefully he'll tough it out and crossing fingers for him getting traded to a team that is willing to give him a fair shot.
When he went to Modo form Norway he signed a contract that McDonalds could compete with, and he instantly became the most efficient player in the league. I think he took the option (Modo) with the best prospects of giving him a good development, not because of the salary. He will not go for the money. When he came to Rangers he had +/- five clubs wanting his services in the NHL, but chose Rangers. If this is the end of it, someting I don't think, I'm pretty sure that whatever Sather told him to convince him, it didn't work out as projected. Hard to see where it failed, poor scouting, they made him worse by not allowing him ice time or they bough something they actually didn't want? Personally, I would take on a loan to play for Rangers, and I suspect Zucca would even sign a worse contract if he just felt they had plans for him.

Ilovemymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

Lots of stuff coming from Norwegian media after the Zuccarello demotion. According to one newspaper Zuccarello's agent says they're discussing a trade, but first they have to figure out what the Rangers actually want to do with him. Another paper says the Rangers will probably release Zuccarello from his contract, and he'll return to Swedish hockey within a couple of weeks. Hard to predict this one..

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:36 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Another paper says the Rangers will probably release Zuccarello from his contract, and he'll return to Swedish hockey within a couple of weeks. Hard to predict this one..
That's just one pundit in one paper, and it doesn't make sense. The guy's just one of many Zuccarello fans indignant over the demotion.

Zucc himself has said he will keep on working hard to earn his spot, but that if the Rangers make it clear they don't see a future for him, he'll be looking for something else.

SixGoalieSystem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:53 AM
TigerJack

At least I feel that Zuccarello deserves that the Rangers shows some decency and are honest with the kid. If they have no plans for him to play for the Rangers, then at least be honest about this, so Zuke don´t have to rot in Connecticut with false expectations of making the team.

For me it´s already pretty clear when you get sent down after 3 games with an avarage ice time around 7 minutes in the fourth line, despite being one of the best players on the team in camp and pre-season games, and by far not worse than his closest competitors (Christensen, Wolski.....). The signals can´t really be much clearer than this without saying it in words: Zuccarello has no future in New York Rangers.

So for the kid´s sake, I hope he very soon plays for a new club, either a NHL club that gives him a real chance to prove himself, or (probably more realistic) returns to SEL, where he almost certainly again will be one of the best players in the league.

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:01 AM
Peter The Great

Why should Zuke return to Sweden? Just because Tortella doesn't like him?

It's a bit similar to Omark's situation in Edmonton. (Feels like it's only a matter of time before Omark is sent down.)

Both these guys still have good chances becoming good offensive NHL players, both of them offering some unreal skills. I don't want to see any of them in SEL yet. Hopefully both of them would prefer playing against the best players in the world in the NHL, not giving up their careers because their current coach doesn't like them.

About Tortella:
Putting Avery on waivers was a tough one but I still like him. He is a very straight forward and tough coach, no secrets, very direct and open with his views.

Last edited by 21: 10-20-2011 at 03:07 AM.
21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:11 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
At least I feel that Zuccarello deserves that the Rangers shows some decency and are honest with the kid. If they have no plans for him to play for the Rangers, then at least be honest about this, so Zuke don´t have to rot in Connecticut with false expectations of making the team.

For me it´s already pretty clear when you get sent down after 3 games with an avarage ice time around 7 minutes in the fourth line, despite being one of the best players on the team in camp and pre-season games, and by far not worse than his closest competitors (Christensen, Wolski.....). The signals can´t really be much clearer than this without saying it in words: Zuccarello has no future in New York Rangers.

So for the kid´s sake, I hope he very soon plays for a new club, either a NHL club that gives him a real chance to prove himself, or (probably more realistic) returns to SEL, where he almost certainly again will be one of the best players in the league.
I realy hope he stay this season and finnsih his contract. Its always a next year. If he breaks his contract now,he will earn Rangers his final entry level year, and the Rangers can block his way back to NHL with a other team.

So stay in CT,put up a lot of points along with Avery and Hagelin and see whats happen.

Old
10-20-2011, 04:15 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
I realy hope he stay this season and finnsih his contract. Its always a next year. If he breaks his contract now,he will earn Rangers his final entry level year, and the Rangers can block his way back to NHL with a other team.

So stay in CT,put up a lot of points along with Avery and Hagelin and see whats happen.
That would be a fun line. :-)

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:46 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
That would be a fun line. :-)
I did not mean the same line he he.A Center would have been grat in there too

Old
10-20-2011, 09:26 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Just trade him and give him a chance elsewhere. The guy was Cory Locke circa 2010 bad when he was up with the Rangers this season. He doesn't fit with the team nor does he deserve to be on it.

It baffles me when players are in such positions where they are on the bubble of staying on or making a team, and they play poorly. Zucc didn't need to have 5 points per game to stay with the team, all he had to do was bust his ass, fly around the ice and try to create offense. That's exactly what Kris Newbury does, except he can't create offense at the NHL level.

It's really hard not to like Zucc, and I will be more then supportive is he is called up again, but dump and chase, cycle hockey is not his cup of tea. Put him on a team that can complete tape to tape passes consistently and move the puck well like Detroit, and he will find a way to be a top 6 player.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

ill say it again, hes game style does not fit with the rangers style of play. hes not fast enough to develop offense off the rush. he's not big enough to play the board games we like to play, and he doesnt have a good enough shot to be a consistent power play threat. really all he has is passing ability and creativity. but, there is no time and space for him to do these things at this level. as soon as he touches the puck he just gets bowled over. in Europe you saw what he could do with a little more space, but thats moot because that space just isnt here.

he needs to play on a puck posession type of team that doesnt play that hard impact type game. Detroit would be great for him, as would Vancouver. But even then im not convinced he will do much. He just isnt big enough or fast enough. you need to either be big, or fast, or have a decent combination of both. when you are as small as him, you better be one of the fastest guys in the league A-la MSL. He's not. his speed is average to below average. That's not going to cut it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
ill say it again, hes game style does not fit with the rangers style of play. hes not fast enough to develop offense off the rush. he's not big enough to play the board games we like to play, and he doesnt have a good enough shot to be a consistent power play threat. really all he has is passing ability and creativity. but, there is no time and space for him to do these things at this level. as soon as he touches the puck he just gets bowled over. in Europe you saw what he could do with a little more space, but thats moot because that space just isnt here.

he needs to play on a puck posession type of team that doesnt play that hard impact type game. Detroit would be great for him, as would Vancouver. But even then im not convinced he will do much. He just isnt big enough or fast enough. you need to either be big, or fast, or have a decent combination of both. when you are as small as him, you better be one of the fastest guys in the league A-la MSL. He's not. his speed is average to below average. That's not going to cut it.
He was bowled over multiple times every game even in Norway. He falls on his ass more times than any other player on the ice, but yet makes the passes. That he doesn't have a good enough shot for the pp is bs. He's got excellent short range shots as far as I can jugde. He was misused even there last year, at the point, yet one of the most efficient in pp passing as I can recall? But it's pretty clear that he doesn't fit the team the way they want to play, so he should stick out the contract and then try elsewhere if nothing happens.

Ilovemymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:29 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:

He is fast enough.

Yes, he can't play the board-game the Rangers try to play. Agree there.

I would say passing and creativity is quite important in hockey.

As a team, you create your own space. Rangers chose to dump it instead. It is possible, but it takes team effort and team style of play.

The question is, why is the confidence so low among the players to create their own space? The only player who have done so this season is Callahan.

Does Tortorella have so low confidence in his players to give them a shot to try and fail a couple of times until the get it going?

Last edited by SirKillalot: 10-20-2011 at 04:44 PM.
SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

here comes the norway defenders outta the woodwork lol.

passing ability is great. vision is great. creativity is great. if you are a tiny little many with average to below average speed, it means JACK on the small ice. the gaps are much smaller, the time, space, and ability to make plays are all much smaller and predicated on not just skill, but physical ability.

He has the skill, but no speed and no size. if you cant widen the gaps with your speed, and you cant control the gaps with your size, or be able to combine the 2 effectively, then it doesnt matter how much skill you have, the bigger, stronger, smarter NHL defenseman will eat you alive.

this isnt the SEL, this isnt the KHL, this isnt the Swiss league...this is the NHL. He's a nice little player, i like him, but his game just doesnt fit this team, and frankly, im not convinced it would fit with any team because of his physical limitations. if he was much faster, id be FAR more inclined to give him a chance, but w/o speed, that size just becomes too much of a handicap.

Old
10-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i mean seriously, can you guys actually imagine...i mean even IMAGINE, MZA being able to pull off something like this:

Old
10-20-2011, 05:09 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
A Norwegian hockey journalist says the Rangers play primitive and boring hockey. It doesn't fit Zuccarello's style at all. He believes Zuccarello will have a career in the NHL, but not with the Rangers. Is he correct or plain stupid?
I couldn't agree more. The Rangers "style" is most certainly primitive. AFAIC, it's generally quite boring, as well.

Quote:

So is it that he doesn't fit the team's style, or that the team plays the wrong style, one that flys in the face of what the best teams in the league generally do?

This team hardly ever develops offense of the rush. This team hardly ever develops offense, period. The entire concept of development, as far as offense is concerned, is something that this team basically never does. You say all he is passing ability and creativity, but those are the two things most sorely lacking on this roster. The Rangers have practically zero creativity and very few good passers. Vision? Not around these parts.

The problem here isn't Zuccarello, it is the Rangers and their beer league style "system." This is the NHL. Being big enough and fast enough is important, but there is no more important quality for creating offense consistently and efficiently than passing and cycling. This team does not do these things.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 05:12 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
i mean seriously, can you guys actually imagine...i mean even IMAGINE, MZA being able to pull off something like this:

I can imagine it yes. But not with the current style of play.

And, you got to remember that St. Louis didn't get into the NHL until he was 24.

And he didn't turn into a star, before he had switched clubs, and played a couple of years. Trained and became better.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 05:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Seriously.

Maybe if we didn't have the guy dumping and chasing we could have him use his skill.

Look at ALL OF OUR GOALS from last game. MDZ gets a good pass, gets involved in the offense and creates a rebound. Richards skates it into the zone, passes it to McD, and McD makes a nasty move because the D was pushed back and had room. Feds brings it into the zone and makes a great pass to Boyle. Dubi and McD have a good give and go in the offensive zone and McD capitalizes.

The dump and chase CAN be useful, and it's not a horrible strategy like some want to make it sound. It has it's use and we're going to score goals off of it this year. But we saw our skill guys make skill moves that scored goals, and even our grinding line scored because they mixed it up and didn't dump the ****ing puck into the zone every time. We need to mix it up.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote