HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tim Erixon

Old
10-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
He has not been very solid defensively and he's not showing us his strengths which is skating and moving the puck... You've seen him get caught out of position or lose a battle and be prone to taking penalties as a result. He should be in the AHL where he will feel more comfortable so he can continue to develop his strengths in his game at the professional level.... Right now he's just "getting by" on the ice, not really hurting the team, but not providing much either.... I don't think that's ideal for his development..... Carl Hagelin is reportedly adapting to the Pro game very quickly with the Whale... As soon as we get one of Sauer or Staal back, I'd like to see Erixon get sent down and hopefully do the same.
Hate to be redundant, but Erixon is important so I'm another who agrees with the above. The Connecticut Academy is where this young man belongs and where he'd be best served. But he is getting a valuable look at the big show right now. That's worth something too.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:14 PM
John Torturella

I will say one thing. He reminds me of McDonagh last year. Has obvious talent, playing conservatively right now, but gets better every minute he plays. Only a matter of time before he is comfortable and starts to expand his game. Would time in the AHL help him? Maybe, but he is better defensively than Del Zotto already.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:18 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
I will say one thing. He reminds me of McDonagh last year. Has obvious talent, playing conservatively right now, but gets better every minute he plays. Only a matter of time before he is comfortable and starts to expand his game. Would time in the AHL help him? Maybe, but he is better defensively than Del Zotto already.
I don't think he's better defensively than Del Zotto now. Better defensively than Del Zotto in his first year, sure.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think at the end of the day McDonagh will be the better defenseman.

To be clear, I think our goaltender and the strength of the defensive play of our forwards somewhat coddles our defense. But im gonna have to give Erixon another dozen games at least before I declare him officially 100% NHL caliber already.

10-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread. Really needs to be in Hartford, he is way too excited out there and is showing no poise. The reason for that is he is not ready for NHL time just yet. He shows flashes of extreme skill, but he needs to hone his skills in the A much like McD last year

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 05:45 AM
The Mouth

i think he is doing a good job, he needs work though and he is being baptized by fire out there being paired with MDZ who makes 2 bad plays for each good one. He needs more work on his physical play along the boards he gets bumped off the puck a bit more than I like. But he has been doing an admirable job and as you guys have already said needs more seasoning in the AHL. But with this Staal thing dragging out he may get it in the NHL.

As far as woywitka goes he wears #6 enough said.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
i think he is doing a good job, he needs work though and he is being baptized by fire out there being paired with MDZ who makes 2 bad plays for each good one. He needs more work on his physical play along the boards he gets bumped off the puck a bit more than I like. But he has been doing an admirable job and as you guys have already said needs more seasoning in the AHL. But with this Staal thing dragging out he may get it in the NHL.

As far as woywitka goes he wears #6 enough said.
MDZ has been suprisingly solid this year. He makes a lot more plays defensively then he doesnt. Erixon just needs time to "grow up" much like McD last year

Old
10-20-2011, 07:37 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

I think his Eliteprospects profile nails it on the head:

Quote:
A very smart defenseman that plays a solid two-way game. Erixon is not very spectacular, but plays an effective and rather simple game. He does not throw his body around, but can be aggressive and has active stickwork. Hockey sense is very good and so is his offensive positioning. Not a pure offensive force, but has enough skills to put up points and quarterback the powerplay if needed. Furthermore, he has good size and mobility and handles the puck well.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

IMO Rundblad made Erixon look a little bit better than he really was last year. I don't think you want him quarterbacking a powerplay. You need someone with a little bit more skill and vision to do that.

What he can do very well is be a triggerman and a safe pass option on the PP.

Also, please trade him to Ottawa. We need to reunite him with his buddy Rundblad. What would you guys want?

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:48 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
IMO Rundblad made Erixon look a little bit better than he really was last year. I don't think you want him quarterbacking a powerplay. You need someone with a little bit more skill and vision to do that.

Also, please trade him to Ottawa. We need to reunite him with his buddy Rundblad. What would you guys want?
Rundblad

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Dude loves to and needs to stop throwing picks.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Rundblad
Yeah pretty much this

Old
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Rundblad

That would break his heart... poor guy.

Old
10-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:

Perhaps it's time for the Senators prioritizing defense?

Rundblad and Karlsson could be forwards... adding Erixon wouldn't help much. ;-)

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
Perhaps it's time for the Senators prioritizing defense?

Rundblad and Karlsson could be forwards... adding Erixon wouldn't help much. ;-)
Those two are the reason I'm a sens fan in the first place. :[

Old
10-20-2011, 08:22 AM
ColonialsHockey10

I really don't think he needs seasoning in the AHL. It's his 4th game for christs sake, I was still nervous before every highschool game, even as a senior, because of the importance and how many people watched.

He looks the exact same as McDonagh did last season, tentative and nervous. He was a top pairing defenseman in a league just as good as the AHL, he's ready for 3rd pair minutes. Let him settle in.

And him being paired with Del Zotto has nothing to do with it, because MDZ has been a rock this season. Not sure what more he needs to do to earn the appreciation of some people here.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:42 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I really don't think he needs seasoning in the AHL. It's his 4th game for christs sake, I was still nervous before every highschool game, even as a senior, because of the importance and how many people watched.

He looks the exact same as McDonagh did last season, tentative and nervous. He was a top pairing defenseman in a league just as good as the AHL, he's ready for 3rd pair minutes. Let him settle in.

And him being paired with Del Zotto has nothing to do with it, because MDZ has been a rock this season. Not sure what more he needs to do to earn the appreciation of some people here.
i dont think he really needs "seasoning" in the AHL per say, but when staal and sauer are back, he battles emminger for our 6th d spot

personally, id rather he play 20+ minutes a night in CT than 10min/healthy scratch in NY

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:51 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Been looking a lot better these past couple of games. More poised with the puck, using his body along the boards, making solid passes. Doesn't seem nervous anymore.

I think he's played well to stay in the lineup...ideally I'd like to see him and Del Zotto stay in the lineup when Staal comes back. Granted, I'd still give him 3rd pairing minutes, but he'd be good on the third pairing
Certainly looks like he is playing very cautious, more thinking rather than instinct, and I attribute that to adjusting to the smaller ice surface. Once Staal and Sauer get back would like to see him go to Hartford and get a ton of minutes.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:39 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
That certainly hasn't been the case this season so maybe you're thinking of last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
I think his Eliteprospects profile nails it on the head:
The scouting report is the type of game he's capable of playing but he hasn't been able to play like this at the NHL level yet (both preseason and regular season), which is why I'm anxious to get him to the AHL...

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:51 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
That certainly hasn't been the case this season so maybe you're thinking of last year.

The scouting report is the type of game he's capable of playing but he hasn't been able to play like this at the NHL level yet (both preseason and regular season), which is why I'm anxious to get him to the AHL...
That's were he's headed if Sauer and Staal come back. If Staal doesn't come back for a while though I don't see any reason why he can't camp out with the team for now. Obviously he's not going to be dominant 4 games into his NHL career, but so far he's been pretty steady. At the least I would keep him here until he plays himself out of the line up (again, assuming Staal doesn't come back anytime soon)

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:52 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Definitely could use about 20 games in the AHL to get used to the smaller rinks and faster developing game in NA playing top minutes. Then call him up, aka the McDonagh path, just like they originally planned. But hey, Staal is out indefinitely so I don't see that happening.

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:07 AM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post

Del Zotto needs to learn how to play defense one on one off the rush. He hasn't shown the ability to do so. He has trouble playing the man with the puck, as well as taking out a man without the puck. All you have to do is watch Alex Edler go around Del Zotto like he wasn't even there. Things like this happen almost every game with Del Zotto. That doesn't happen to good or even average defensemen very often.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:11 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Del Zotto needs to learn how to play defense one on one off the rush. He hasn't shown the ability to do so. He has trouble playing the man with the puck, as well as taking out a man without the puck. All you have to do is watch Alex Edler go around Del Zotto like he wasn't even there. Things like this happen almost every game with Del Zotto. That doesn't happen to good or even average defensemen very often.
MDZ's positioning is fine. His problem is that his footspeed is so bad that if he gets out of position even a little bit, he can't make-up for it. That's the difference between a defender like MDZ and a McDonagh or a Staal.

Sauer makes up for his lack of foot-speed with great positioning. Girardi did the same to start his NHL career. MDZ either needs to increase his foot-speed or continue to work on his positioning.

However it is refreshing to see a puck-mover like MDZ willing to battle and be aggressive in the defensive zone. That bodes well for his future.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:21 AM
jniklast

Quote:

That would break his heart... poor guy.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Pizza

MDZ has been better. Given time and more confidence he's going to be a hell of a player.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote