HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kris Letang will have disciplinary hearing today

Old
10-18-2011, 07:35 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
Let the Cooke/Sarich hit die. Sarich was much taller, Cooke was looking slightly downward, and Sarich didn't jut out his elbow until after contact as means of following through. Now of course after that he bludgeoned someone's face with this stick.....

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Til the End of Time

Shanny is at least better than Campbell.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:25 PM
DocBrown

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Letang Suspended: Why Shanahan Got it Wrong
http://nhlhotstove.com/letang-suspen...-got-it-wrong/
Why link to a blog?

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Let the Cooke/Sarich hit die. Sarich was much taller, Cooke was looking slightly downward, and Sarich didn't jut out his elbow until after contact as means of following through. Now of course after that he bludgeoned someone's face with this stick.....
And I think that's what everyone is upset about.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Someone posted a gif on the mainboard. I'll just post it here so others can reference it.

The ************* of the NHL continues…

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:42 AM
NastyNick

I wonder if Shanahahahahan would have suspended Hedman last year for his hit on Crosby? Probably not. It was a very similar hit that was even worse because it put a player out of action for ~ a year.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:29 PM
JTG

I put myself in Letang's shoes, and if I were him, I wouldn't have let up either.

Watching the hit from that angle though...it looks like he maybe, possibly, potentially could have let up just a little bit. Burmistrov was turned before Letang engaged, and then Letang thrusted him into the boards.

Should also be noted...these people who post **** in slow motion are idiots. That play occured in nanoseconds. Of course if you slow it down it's going to look way worse than it was.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:38 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPenalty View Post
I wonder if Shanahahahahan would have suspended Hedman last year for his hit on Crosby? Probably not. It was a very similar hit that was even worse because it put a player out of action for ~ a year.
You can't go back and change what happened last year. All you can do is move forward from today and do the best you can to protect players from here on out. As my father always use to say "today is the first day of the rest of your life, make the best of it, what happened yesturday is over".

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:43 PM
SidGenoMario

My one pet peeve is comments about "*************." Paralyzing people is badass? Keeping the players you enjoy to watch safe is pussifying the league? Get out of here with that garbage, or go watch UFC or something.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I put myself in Letang's shoes, and if I were him, I wouldn't have let up either.

Watching the hit from that angle though...it looks like he maybe, possibly, potentially could have let up just a little bit. Burmistrov was turned before Letang engaged, and then Letang thrusted him into the boards.

Should also be noted...these people who post **** in slow motion are idiots. That play occured in nanoseconds. Of course if you slow it down it's going to look way worse than it was.
I agree. Maybe extending his arms was a bit too much but people don't seem to realize is that it takes muscle and energy to stop guys from scooting up the boards and making you look stupid once you commit to that hit its hard to stop it when the other person does something unexpected. Pretty soon every offenses scheme will be to skate facing the boards. Everyone seems to be turning their backs to avoid being hit right now and I think it will only get worse, luckily Crosby will be able to take advantage of this too. Only problem is other teams will view the fine and suspension worth it to get him off the ice

Hophog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
My one pet peeve is comments about "*************." Paralyzing people is badass? Keeping the players you enjoy to watch safe is pussifying the league? Get out of here with that garbage, or go watch UFC or something.
It's like the NFL. There was a time when you would never have seen a QB lead a receiver and throw a high pass over the middle. If a QB gets his receiver killed today, doing something stupid like that, they blame the defender. Players used to know not to put themselves into bad positions. Now they don't. Now in sports we have this weird notion that offensive players should have some sort of right of way to go wherever they want unmolested. As a result, offensive players endanger themselves and these sorts of injuries result.

Twenty or thirty years ago, you never saw guys turn their backs on a hit. This whole idea that we should make rules that prevent guys who turn their back on a hit from suffering the due consequences of their stupidity has incentivized stupidity. The rules and the offensive decision-making have become more dangerous, not the defensive players.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Flat Stanley

Thing I'm mad about is the fact that 24 hours after Letang's hit, there were 2 boarding hits in 2 different games (Seidenberg on Skinner and Pyatt on Hjalmarsson) that were pretty much the same as Letang's hit. Those 2 don't even have a hearing, it's complete ********.

I'm all for sending a message, but be consistant with the ruling, with everyone out of Pittsburgh's lineup, he will suspend our best player for 2 games but won't touch anyone else for the same thing.

Don't be a "Colin Campbell" Shanahan

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Funk311

I would consider myself one of the most "for contact" and sometimes people get injured in sports types. That said, i am ok with this suspension. I think it is on the bottom side of suspendable for sure, but it counts.

The one thing i will say though, is I 100% agree the NHL and (great reference about the NFL a few posts above) and other sports protecting people from bad mistakes.

Now guys can cut to the middle with heads down looking to release a dangling wrister and most of the responsibility is on the defensive player.....um, as a hockey player it is your responsibility to not be in a vulnerable position to be drilled.

We have ourselves and the media to blame because the majority act outraged when someone gets clocked.

Players turning backs to hits is getting very bad and dangerous. The league should consider how to take action against that. The biggest failure to protect is to perpetuate the favor shown to putting yourself in an unsafe position as a player. The game moves too fast for the behavior being tolerated and considered acceptable. You get hit in hockey, often hard, its part of the game and knowing how to use the boards and absorb hits is as much a skill to be learned as saucer passing.

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Shirai Ryu

I´m okay with it. Letang saw his numbers and drilled him into the boards. It was a dangerous hit.

But I don`t like the explanation from Shanahan. Burmistrov did make a sudden move prior to the hit in my opinion and what`s the fine he`s talking about?

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:03 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

It creates a very gray area when you start suspending people for that. The number of times throughout this season that it will happen exactly the same way and some will be suspended and some won't is going to just confuse the hell out of everyone.

The number of threads dedicated to someone getting slammed against the boards is going to number in the thousands by the end of this season.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:51 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Anyone who doesn't think that was a dangerous/suspendible hit is just being a homer.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:01 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Anyone who doesn't think that was a dangerous/suspendible hit is just being a homer.
Didn't I see the guy who got hit came out and admitted he turned into it?

Suspension was a bit much. As a hockey player, you learn VERY early to not turn away from hits like that. Letang definitely went in aggressively, but I don't think it should have been a suspension.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I didn't think he deserved a suspension, but you had to know he was getting at least one game in this suspension happy NHL.

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:07 AM
thelos
Bunk

Pretty similar to Jones on Bergeron (though without the brutal injury), which got 2 games a few years ago. Like some have said, it's the follow through push that caused trouble

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:30 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

I think the outrage over the suspension is more to do with everyone's frustration about the other guys we already have out than anything else. 2 games is nothing. It's what they hand out when it falls into this gray area but they just want to keep a lock on things. Not a big deal at all. If we had a full roster I don't think many people would care.

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:16 AM
invictus

Stupid question, but does Letang get paid for games he is suspended for since he is under contract, or do 2 game checks worth of money go to some fund for....something?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Stupid question, but does Letang get paid for games he is suspended for since he is under contract, or do 2 game checks worth of money go to some fund for....something?
Quote:
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Letang will forfeit $37,837.84. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=596452

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Saving Greiss
Drum solo of life!

EDIT: beat to the chase. Already posted above.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:28 AM
invictus

Thanks guys!

So, does this help us have more cap space toward the end of the season? I know it'd be miniscule, or is it set up so a team won't get a benefit from an individual being suspended?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Thanks guys!

So, does this help us have more cap space toward the end of the season? I know it'd be miniscule, or is it set up so a team won't get a benefit from an individual being suspended?
There's no cap savings from suspensions.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-su...ct-the-cap.php

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote