HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A DG like Burke in Montreal, Is it possible?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2011, 08:29 AM
  #26
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,221
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I think it was:

1) Gomez (trade)
2) Spacek
3) Gill
4) Gionta
5) Cammalleri
6) Moen
Pretty sure it was

Gomez trade, Spacek, Cammalleri, Gill and last one of the day Gionta. It was between him or Kovalev staying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Komisarek was never offered anything above 4 mil to play here. I heard they had offered him 14 mil over 4 years during(or right after) the season and he turned it down. I remeber "insiders" being surprised at how much Toronto overpaid. Amstrong was another brutal signing.

How the **** did he get Grabovsky for nothing? He gave up a 2nd rounder and a prospect(Pateryn). That was a great trade for the Habs, Grabovsky wasn't working here and we may have lost him to the KHL not long after. Do you say that we gor Wisniewski for nothing last year? Because we paid less for him than Toronto did for Grabovsky.

He got Phaneuf but he has a terrible contract, that's like us trading Gomez somewhere and one of their fans saying they got him for not much in return.

Burke has been awful in Toronto, he took over a bottom team 4 years ago and wasted a pile of assets trying to make the playoffs instead of "tanking" and gettting some young star players...instead he tried to build around other teams' trash...Connolly Lombardi Lupul Phaneuf Toskala Giguere.
If you say so

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:30 AM
  #27
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedKnight View Post
In my fantasy world Neil-Konopka-White/Moen would be a dangerously effective and intimidating 4th line.
I'll stay out of your fantasy world, you need to stop basing your opinion on that of other HF posters who haven't watched Konopka, either that or get current


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Spy View Post
Has anyone told Zenon Konopka the idea of a hockey fight is to throw a punch at your opponent, not to hang on for dear life every fight. Just wondering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
he's been doing this for like 14 years.

surprised you just noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
At least Luke attempts to throw em'. Luke's a terrible fighter but thankfully that's not his job. Konopka is suppose to be a tough guy but he seems more interested in dropping the mits and hugging it out. Hockey's version of Oprah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
The only reason he fights so much is because nobody is afraid to fight a punching bag.

Habs fan need to end the zomg we should have gotten Konopka.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:30 AM
  #28
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,961
vCash: 500
Cammalleri was signed before Gionta.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:32 AM
  #29
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm 99% sure we signed Cammalleri before Gionta.

Cammalleri (07-01-2009, 05:18 PM)
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=658002

Gionta (07-01-2009, 08:03 PM)
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=658302

llamateizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:33 AM
  #30
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,221
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post

Cammalleri (07-01-2009, 05:18 PM)
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=658002

Gionta (07-01-2009, 08:03 PM)
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=658302
Yup that's exactly what I thought

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:38 AM
  #31
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Pretty sure it was

Gomez trade, Spacek, Cammalleri, Gill and last one of the day Gionta. It was between him or Kovalev staying



If you say so
Go look it up if you don't believe me. What do you think was the deal?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:39 AM
  #32
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'll stay out of your fantasy world, you need to stop basing your opinion on that of other HF posters who haven't watched Konopka, either that or get current













Habs fan need to end the zomg we should have gotten Konopka.
The worst part is that he gets his ass handed to him a lot. If we had signed him all we'd hear about is that it's a terrible move because he has no skill and loses all his fights.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:40 AM
  #33
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,221
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Go look it up if you don't believe me. What do you think was the deal?
I know that was the deal, a 2nd and Pateryn. The 2nd which was traded to Chicago for Lang so it's not like is we drafted a player with that pick.

A bit more patience and we could have had Plekanec and Grabovski right now instead of Gomez. If you like that deal from the Habs point of view, good for you, I really don't!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:45 AM
  #34
capnk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDog View Post
A Brian Burke type of DG, is it possible in Montreal?

Very agressive on the trade market.
Very agressive on the unrestricted market.
Rumors about offer sheets to restricted free agents.

Is it what we need, or are we too conservator?
Montreal seems to have a culture that would not allow a GM like Burke to be at the helm. I don't want to call it a "snobby" attitude towards bombastic and aggressive GM's, but it's somewhere along those lines.
Montreal sees itself as the classiest organization in the league so a guy like Burke woudn't fit in, even if it meant putting together the type of team needed to win a championship.

I dislike Burke, but I respect him. I think he's got cojones and isn't afraid to make a mistake (even though his biggest mistake has set-up the Bruins for many years to come). Montreal's GM's seem to all be more on the conservative side, which is how the organization sees itself.

capnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:48 AM
  #35
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @Bloumeister
Posts: 6,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'll stay out of your fantasy world, you need to stop basing your opinion on that of other HF posters who haven't watched Konopka, either that or get current

Habs fan need to end the zomg we should have gotten Konopka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The worst part is that he gets his ass handed to him a lot. If we had signed him all we'd hear about is that it's a terrible move because he has no skill and loses all his fights.
But he wins faceoffs

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:55 AM
  #36
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,274
vCash: 500
With all the criticism Burke has gotten in this thread the fact that he has been more successful than Gauthier in his career has been lost.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:10 AM
  #37
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,513
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Wait what? Because he doesn't want to spend all year in Toronto? Not sure I follow. Either way I remember the Gomez trade had something to do with the whole "better team" point I was making. One can only imagine if part of the reason somebody is signing here is due to other signings/trades... versus another team... you'd have to imagine it's because he had more faith in our squad.

Unless he really did say he didn't want to spend the full year in Toronto I just don't recall him saying that, would like to find some links to get to the bottom of this though. Seems a lot of people heard a lot of things
He didn't say it as an insult to the city of Toronto or anything...he just has Toronto as his "summer home" so he wanted to play outside of the city, which is part of why he chose Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
With all the criticism Burke has gotten in this thread the fact that he has been more successful than Gauthier in his career has been lost.
How much leeway did you give Gainey in Montreal just because he won a Cup with Dallas? Yeah.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:12 AM
  #38
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @Bloumeister
Posts: 6,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
With all the criticism Burke has gotten in this thread the fact that he has been more successful than Gauthier in his career has been lost.
Your point being...?



Irving Grundman

General manager, Montréal Canadiens, 1978-1983

232 W -100 L - 68 T (regular season)

4 division titles

Stanley Cup - 1979

Drafted Carbonneau and Chelios

Wouldn't let the guy touch my team with a 10,000 ft pole.

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:17 AM
  #39
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Your point being...?



Irving Grundman

General manager, Montréal Canadiens, 1978-1983

232 W -100 L - 68 T (regular season)

4 division titles

Stanley Cup - 1979

Drafted Carbonneau and Chelios

Wouldn't let the guy touch my team with a 10,000 ft pole.
Point is : some people around here like Gauthier more simply because he is GM of the team.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:24 AM
  #40
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW
 
Pietraneglo222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gatineau
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
With all the criticism Burke has gotten in this thread the fact that he has been more successful than Gauthier in his career has been lost.
If by "successful" you mean "inherited the Ducks from Bryan Murray" then yes.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:24 AM
  #41
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
He didn't say it as an insult to the city of Toronto or anything...he just has Toronto as his "summer home" so he wanted to play outside of the city, which is part of why he chose Montreal.



How much leeway did you give Gainey in Montreal just because he won a Cup with Dallas? Yeah.
Makes sense, I honestly thought you had made a typo though at first

I personally am the same way, obviously if I were a player I'd want to play for the habs but if I couldn't I'd definitely want to live it up in a place like LA, San Jose, etc. Obviously we aren't LA but hey Cammy experienced LA already! He's ready to play in front of a real audience

@Konopka people... when will you realize the dude can't play hockey for his life.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:25 AM
  #42
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @Bloumeister
Posts: 6,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Point is : some people around here like Gauthier more simply because he is GM of the team.
Some Leafs fans like Burke more because he is GM of their team, and feel he can do no wrong.


Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:26 AM
  #43
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
LOL just re-read the comment about leeway with Gainey, didn't realize what the response was to. I've been saying the same thing a while. People want a "successful GM, not somebody like Gainey"... who has won a cup as a GM

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:30 AM
  #44
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDog View Post
A Brian Burke type of GM, is it possible in Montreal?

Very agressive on the trade market.
Very agressive on the unrestricted market.
Rumors about offer sheets to restricted free agents.

Is it what we need, or are we too conservator?
Burke is a celebrity before a GM. Just because he's in the media all the time doesn't mean he makes the right moves. Being in the media doesn't mean you're not conservative.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:48 AM
  #45
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
With all the criticism Burke has gotten in this thread the fact that he has been more successful than Gauthier in his career has been lost.
He won the cup in Anaheim with a team somebody else built.

Before Gauthier arrived here he inherited a mess in Ottawa and another in Anaheim.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:50 AM
  #46
TheRedKnight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

@Konopka people... when will you realize the dude can't play hockey for his life.
Granted I honestly haven't watched this guy closely, maybe that's why he wasn't drafted, but he can win faceoffs... and I don't think many fans would have been upset at giving him 700,000 for a season...
We've wanted Chris Neil and his 250 hits on this team for a long time. He's 32 now and that type of game takes a toll on the body, we would probably get him and he'd be on the IR most of the time.

Its just frustrating that this organization never addreses the issue of size.

TheRedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:51 AM
  #47
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I know that was the deal, a 2nd and Pateryn. The 2nd which was traded to Chicago for Lang so it's not like is we drafted a player with that pick.

A bit more patience and we could have had Plekanec and Grabovski right now instead of Gomez. If you like that deal from the Habs point of view, good for you, I really don't!
What does it matter if we traded the pick for Lang or for Steve freakin Stamkos, it was a good trade.

The only advantage to Grabovsky over Gomez is cap hit. Gomez has outproduced hum by a lot as an NHLer. Before last year Grabovsky never produced as a legit #1 or 2 center.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:52 AM
  #48
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,181
vCash: 500
They miss the playoffs for what now 7 years straight, basically give the Bruins a Cup and now after a 4 game winning streak we want to emulate their GM's work?

Is this real?

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:54 AM
  #49
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Mike Komisarek left Montreal for $250,000.00 a season, Montreal offered him $4,250,000.00 per season and Toronto went up to $4,500,000.00 because "Burkie" was desperate in his first full season as GM.

Cammalleri was offered the same or more money by Toronto, he signed in Montreal because he said it gave him a better chance to win and the signing of Gionta, trade for Gomez and Markov etc. Helped his decision as well.
Mike was offered 4.5M by Toronto according to Marinaro, and Gionta was signed after.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:55 AM
  #50
BeerHell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
So the leafs offered more money for komisarek and we refused to match that offer? Well it looks like one gm overspent and it wasn't ours.

And closing the deal with cammalleri is part of the job, is it not?

I fail to see how this helps the pro Burke argument.
How dare you be logic???

Seriously, If Burke prefer concentrating is effort on signing Komisarek and not Cammy, it is his choice. if PG doesn't sign a guy, it's not his choice...it's incompetence

BeerHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.