HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The AAA 2011 Draft

Old
10-19-2011, 09:57 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
I see few coaches with better overall resumes. Who has a president's trophy and an Adams? And the immediate impact he made on that team in 2008 was really something.

He was also excellent for years in the minors. he was the guy whom hockey types openly wondered why he hadn't gotten a chance in the NHL yet.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:23 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I see few coaches with better overall resumes. Who has a president's trophy and an Adams? And the immediate impact he made on that team in 2008 was really something.

He was also excellent for years in the minors. he was the guy whom hockey types openly wondered why he hadn't gotten a chance in the NHL yet.
There is at least one Stanley Cup champion off the top of my head who is a better selection still available, and without seeing a list in front of me there could possibly be more.

And I feel confident saying that outside of some sort of insane circumstances (there is one out there who has them who I don't think has been drafted I can think of and there's still a decent chance I'd rather have him anyway), I'd rather have any Cup winner than Boudreau because I at least know I'm getting a modicum of playoff success.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:25 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
There is at least one Stanley Cup champion off the top of my head who is a better selection still available, and without seeing a list in front of me there could possibly be more.
I don't think he did anything more impressive to get that cup, than Boudreau did in 2008.

BUT, he did last forever in the NHL and that's something.

(I said I see "few", not "none" )

Old
10-19-2011, 10:26 PM
vecens24

Quote:
I don't think he did anything more impressive to get that cup, than Boudreau did in 2008.

BUT, he did last forever in the NHL and that's something.

(I said I see "few", not "none" :))
Fair point.

Old
10-19-2011, 10:31 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Well, there are 6 such remaining coaches, and I don't think any of them are worthy of selection at this point.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:41 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Well, there are 6 such remaining coaches, and I don't think any of them are worthy of selection at this point.
PM'd you the guy I think is worthy.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:00 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Montreal select Radek Dvorak RW to help the 4th line and PK.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:02 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

To finish a shutdown defensive line, some real physicality, HC Davos selects 4-time Stanley Cup champion right winger Kevin McClelland. Over a six-year stretch he scored 154 points, took 485 shots and had 1340 PIMs to become the Oilers all-time career leading PIM leader (record since broken). He scored 24 playoff points in their four cup runs and had a decent 91 shots in those four postseasons to go along with the 228 PIMs in the championship runs.

Fonteyne-Lapointe-McClelland

Quote:
....rugged Kevin McClelland... "Mac" ... found a home on Edmonton's checking line, and played a bigger role in the franchises championship success than most have given him credit for... A strong skater with a good burst of speed, McClelland had next to no offensive skills to bring to the Oilers. But he excelled at the physical game. One of the strongest players to ever play in the NHL, Kevin loved to hit. He'd hit anyone anywhere, and was literally fearless. His yeoman effort in the NHL trenches was crucial to the Oilers success. His hard work and enthusiasm made him a natural leader on 4 Stanley Cup championship teams. He would do anything to win, and was a willing and able fighter. Along with Dave Semenko and later Marty McSorley, Kevin was a policeman on the ice, though he was never considered to be a true heavyweight.

Kevin played a big role in the Oilers first Cup, by contributing with a rare goal. The Oilers, who lit up their opponents in all their playoff rounds, were being shutdown in the 1984 Finals by their old nemesis - Billy Smith and the New York Islanders. McClelland took advantage of a rare Islanders mistake to score the opening goal of the Finals. It proved to be only goal of the game, and was a great confidence booster for the young and inexperience Oilers. Not only did they gain confidence by defeating the Isles after being swept by them in the previous year, but they played an "Islander style" game as opposed the high scoring Oilers game. Defeating the Islanders in this fashion was like lifting a huge weight from the Oilers shoulders. The Oilers of course went on to convincingly win the Cup, but it was McClelland's goal that got them started.

For McClelland it was his 4th goal of those playoffs, exactly half of his entire regular season total. He would never score another goal as important. Kevin played another 6 years in Edmonton but his highest single season goal output was just 12 in 1986-87. He did provide four consecutive seasons of 200 plus penalty minutes. In fact McClelland is the second highest penalized Oiler in history, trailing only Kelly Buchberger.
http://oilerslegends.blogspot.com/20...cclelland.html

Quote:
Throughout the National Hockey League, Kevin McClelland's name is synonymous with tough physical hockey... Known for his mean streak, Sather felt his physical play would compliment the team's enforcer, Dave Semenko.

In that first season with Edmonton, McClelland scored eight times and earned 152 penalty minutes. From 1984-85 to 1988-89, McClelland would not dip under the 200-PIM mark. IN 1987-88, he was marked for 281 penalty-minutes, more than tough guys Dave Semenko or Marty McSorley ever earned in a single season with the Oilers.

McClelland was the one constant during the Oilers' changes of enforcers. When he first came to Edmonton, he partnered with Semenko as the team’s one-two punch; in his later years with the team, he would team with McSorley as the resident tough guy.

He would outlast both Semenko and McSorley when it came to the staying in Edmonton and would win four Cups with the Oilers.
http://www.oilersheritage.com/memori...cclelland.html

Quote:
Rugged, tough, fearless. Those are the types of words that come to mind when the name Kevin McClelland is mentioned.

McClelland's presence was a definite asset in the 1995 Stanley Cup finals against the rough and tough Philadelphia Flyers. With Dave Semenko moved on in those later years, McClelland took on an increased role as team policeman in the mid 1980s, which he performed admirably.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=11060

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:02 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I select Backup Goalie Don Simmons.

Some stats of Simmons:

- Career Record of 101-101-41
- 88th All-Time in Career Shutouts with 20
- 8 Top 10's in Wins for a Season

For more on Simmons click the following link:

Last edited by tony d: 10-22-2011 at 11:36 AM.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:04 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

not sure if it is even allowed , but I might be interested in trading my picks of the next 2 days for ''today pick'' and a pick in 3 days.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:06 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Read the rules:
Quote:
Trading of picks is NOT allowed.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:09 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Read the rules:
would it really bother anyone at this point

Old
10-20-2011, 11:11 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Draft players to honour hockey history: today or tomorrow or the day after.

There is a strategic advantage to waiting a day to get a duo, or two to getting a trio. Consider that option.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Rob Scuderi

LW Darcy Rota

495 points in 794 games
256 goals, 20 goals nine times, 40 goals once
x2 Top 5 shooting%, led league in 82-83
x1 NHL ASG (84)

Quote:
As an all-star with the Edmonton Oil Kings of the WCJHL from 1970 to 1973, Darcy Rota was a scoring ace with a reputation for putting the pursuit of goals ahead of playing defense.

Nonetheless, he was a coveted draft pick scooped up by the Chicago Blackhawks in 1973. Under coach Billy Reay's direction, Rota was pressured to stick to his wing, moving up and down in the older, traditional style of the NHL. With such specific direction, he was able to quickly develop into a more balanced player.

In the early years with the Hawks, he was tossed onto a line with Stan Mikita and Cliff Koroll. In such company, Rota became a steady scorer from day one. Several seasons later, he jumped to a line with Dale Tallon and Chico Maki where he continued to be a consistent performer.

In 1979, however, the Hawks couldn't resist the opportunity to get their hands on Tom Lysiak of the Atlanta Flames. The two clubs cooked up a blockbuster trade that swept Rota down to Georgia along with Phil Russell and Ivan Boldriev.

Rota's career with the Flames lasted little more than a season before he was traded to the Vancouver Cancuks in 1980. On the West Coast, he turned his offensive game up to his personal-best level, netting 81 points during the 1982-83 campaign. The following season, however, he suffered a serious spinal injury that raised talk of wheelchairs and retirement. But after neck surgery, the wheelchair was ruled out while retirement was ushered in.

Quote:
At 5-foot-11 and 180-pounds, Rota didnít have imposing as an attribute on his hockey resume, but his toughness and grit, paired with deceptively good offensive skills, made him the type of character player that championship teams are made of.

Rota proved his worth time and time again with the Canucks, especially in the run to Vancouverís first Stanley Cup appearance in 19892 as he chipped in with six goals and three assists in 17 games. The following season, Rota, thanks to some help from linemates Stan Smyl and Thomas Gradin, exploded for 81 points in 73 games to annihilate his former career-high of 56.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=546899

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 10-23-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:31 AM
jkrx

Sorry for delay, I've been busy.

Detroit Cougars selects:

Thommie Bergman, D

Quote:
The Wings had to spend a reported $30,000 to Bergman's old club, Vastra Frolunda, to secure his release, but it was worth it as he soon established himself as the top defenseman on a very poor Detroit team. In his first year he teamed with Ron Stackhouse regularly, scored 9 goals and 21 points and posted a respectable +6 rating. The 6'3" 195lb defenseman he tried to embrace the more physical side of the game, dropping the gloves with none other than Dave "The Hammer" Schultz and Bobby Clarke. It was this gusto that attracted Bergman to scout Patterson in the first place.
Pete Goegan, D

Quote:
Pete Goegan played 383 games over 10 seasons in the National Hockey League. Best remembered on the blue line of the Detroit Red Wings, Goegan shuttled back and forth to the minors a lot in his day. In fact many old time fans may better remember his as a Pittsburgh Hornet of the American Hockey League.

"If you didn't produce, you were gone for a month or two and called back up. Up and down, up and down," he said.

Production was tough to define for a classic stay at home defenseman like Goegan. He scored 19 goals and 86 points in his career.

I guess production in Goegan's case came down to how physical he played. He accumulated 365 penalty minutes in his NHL career, not an outrageous amount for a hard hitting defenseman. But he was described as "rugged" and "surly."
Igor Kravchuk, D

Quote:
An excellent puck-handling defenceman with a good shot from the point, defenceman Igor Kravchuk peaked in the early 1990s. Late in the decade he was a useful role player, but overall his big league career was not as rewarding as many scouts had anticipated.
Brian Bradley, C

Quote:
Bradley was the Lightning's first star player. He retired as the all-time leader in goals (111), assists (189) and points (300). Those totals included Bradley's All Star year as a member of the inaugural Lightning team in 1992-93 which saw him set an expansion team record among non-WHA teams during the 1992-93 season with 42 goals. He also represented the Bolts in the 1994 All Star game.
Leo Dandurand, Coach

Quote:
Dandurand demonstrated many qualities of leadership while helping to run the Canadiens. Figuring that the Montreal fans and hockey in general would benefit, he gave his blessing when the Montreal Maroons were asked to pay a modest expansion fee to join the NHL in 1924. He also showed his mettle when he suspended popular Montreal defencemen Sprague Cleghorn and Billy Coutu after they brutally attacked Ottawa's Cy Denneny and Lionel Hitchman in a particularly heated match.
Real Lemieux, LW

Quote:
Left-winger Real Lemieux was a solid two-way player during a career that lasted parts of eight seasons in the 1960s and '70s. He checked tenaciously and managed to hit double figures in goals three times.
Willy LindstrŲm, RW

Quote:
Willy was already a veteran of the Swedish national team when he joined Winnipeg for the 1975-76 season. It took him awhile before he was comfortable in his new surrounding. He struggled with his English at first and had to take lessons from a tutor before he could communicate with his Canadian and American teammates. But when he got the hang of it he became one of the teams greatest practical jokers.

It took him awhile to adapt to the more physical North American style as well. But after about 50 games under his belt he started to dish out checks on his own and played a more aggressive hockey. His style was that he skated with his legs far apart which made him tough to knock off the puck. He had a decent rookie season in the WHA scoring 59 points in 81 games.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:24 PM
seventieslord

Dammit, I really wanted Kravchuk. I think he's better than Byakin, all things considered.

Goegan is a pretty solid pick right now. It seems like all the pre-expansion d-men with significant GP are picked clean, but he was an AHL star and managed to have one great NHL season when he got PP time and points, leading to significant all-star votes (6th I think)

Might want to redo Dandurand. I don't recall him being a coach. I thought he was a manager/owner.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:46 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

We will select Coach: Cooney Weiland

* Stanley Cup Championship (1941)
* Lester Patrick Trophy (1971)
* 2x AHCA Coach of the Year
* Hobey Baker Legend of College Hockey Award (1993)
* Sheaffer Pen Award (1962)
* Canadian Press National League Coach of the year (1941)
* NHL Record: 58-20-18
* AHL Record: 93-53-24
* Harvard Record: 316-172-17
* Never missed the playoffs in six years of pro hockey coaching (three finals appearances)
------
First off, he had 2 awesome years coaching in the NHL, and while that time was short, he did win a championship and made the playoffs both years. Nevertheless, he wanted to coach younger players and moved on.

In the AHL, he coached for six years (I can only find 4 years of records though) and made the playoffs all four years including two finals appearances.

Say what you want, but that is three final appearances in six years between two leagues. He then would move on to Harvard and coach there for twenty-one years. In 1971, he was awarded with the Lester Patrick Trophy for his contributions to growing the game in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24
I've been championing him to a few owners for a while now (including TDMM). He also has two American Hockey Coaches Association coach of the year awards from the college game, won the Hobey Baker Legend of College Hockey Award in 1993 (honors "one of the all-time great contributors to the game of college hockey."), and the Sheaffer Pen Award for outstanding contributions to New England collegiate hockey in 1962. Also, in 1941 he selected by the Canadian Press the National League Coach of the year in the NHL.

Last edited by chaosrevolver: 10-27-2011 at 01:45 AM.
chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:02 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Dammit, I really wanted Kravchuk. I think he's better than Byakin, all things considered.

Goegan is a pretty solid pick right now. It seems like all the pre-expansion d-men with significant GP are picked clean, but he was an AHL star and managed to have one great NHL season when he got PP time and points, leading to significant all-star votes (6th I think)

Might want to redo Dandurand. I don't recall him being a coach. I thought he was a manager/owner.
Dandurand took over the coaching duties in 1922 as far as I can remember. He was owner, GM and coach of the team.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:08 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Dandurand took over the coaching duties in 1922 as far as I can remember. He was owner, GM and coach of the team.
Yep, coached for six years with two titles.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/dandule99c.html

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:

That's what did it for me. There was another Adams winner who I contemplated, but Boudreau really seems to get along with his players, and will make sure his voice is heard if something goes wrong.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

The Ice Caps select a player who was completely one-way until a scenery change to Philadelphia in the twilight of his career, and became a respected two-way player, Dennis Ververgaert, RW

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:53 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
We will select Coach: Cooney Weiland

First off, he had 2 awesome years coaching in the NHL, and while that time was short, he did win a championship and made the playoffs both years. Nevertheless, he wanted to coach younger players and moved on.

In the AHL, he coached for six years (I can only find 4 years of records though) and made the playoffs all four years including two finals appearances.

Say what you want, but that is three final appearances in six years between two leagues. He then would move on to Harvard and coach there for twenty-one years. In 1971, he was awarded with the Lester Patrick Trophy for his contributions to growing the game in the United States.

NHL Record: 58-20-18
AHL Record: 93-53-24
Harvard Record: 316-172-17

I've been championing him to a few owners for a while now (including TDMM). He also has two American Hockey Coaches Association coach of the year awards from the college game, won the Hobey Baker Legend of College Hockey Award in 1993 (honors "one of the all-time great contributors to the game of college hockey."), and the Sheaffer Pen Award for outstanding contributions to New England collegiate hockey in 1962. Also, in 1941 he selected by the Canadian Press the National League Coach of the year in the NHL.

I also have a quote talking him up as a coach in 1938-39, which doesn't exactly line up with his playing career, so I don't know what to make of it but it's there in what I believe was a Boston Globe article from the period (I can't find it at the moment and I'm in class):

"Cooney, since retiring to the bench has coached two world's champion teams, in 1938-39 and 1940-41...." (I'm fairly certain it was in an article announcing his move to the Hershey Bears, where it also explains why he moved to coach them, and I forget the exact wording of that so I'm not going to attempt to say but it defintiely had to do with wanting to coach younger players).

Last edited by vecens24: 10-20-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old
10-20-2011, 03:23 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
He was definitely considered better than Nikolai Makarov in our books! He was on our bottom pairing list for quite a while but we went looking in other directions.

Old
10-20-2011, 03:59 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
He was definitely considered better than Nikolai Makarov in our books!
not if the specific purpose is offense.

Old
10-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Dawson City selects head coach Bob Berry.

- 384-355-121 career coaching record (NHL).

- creator of the Triple Crown line while in LA.

- never could amount to anything in the postseason, but I feel his 11-year tenure as a head coach in the NHL warrants selection here.