HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Using the term "WE" when referring to our team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2011, 08:49 AM
  #1
capnk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Using the term "WE" when referring to our team

Interesting article about the use of "we" and "us" when referring to the team we follow as fans:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...hat-do-mean-we

capnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:58 AM
  #2
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
I do it all the time. When I read my posts back it sounds a little weird but I don't really care enough to stop doing it.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:02 AM
  #3
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 500
I disagree with the main point in the article. Fans have every right to use "we". There is an emotional investment in sports team that you don't really find in any other form of entertainment. The fans are a huge part of the reason why the team exists (not the only part) and they are mainly localized in the same area. This brings the fans so close to the team and makes them feel part of it.

The use of "we" is what differentiates a real fan from a casual fan. Sure, it might not be grammatically correct but does it really matter?

x-bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:04 AM
  #4
capnk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I do it all the time. When I read my posts back it sounds a little weird but I don't really care enough to stop doing it.
I remeber as a kid my Mom getting all uppity every time she heard someone do it. She would argue that if you don't play for the team, then you are not a part of it.
It always stuck with me and I try not to do it.
Lesson: Always listen to your Mom.

capnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:07 AM
  #5
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW
 
Pietraneglo222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gatineau
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
If you're with the team in spirit and you cheer for them, why not?

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:14 AM
  #6
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
What is this elementary school? I remember some kids used to whine when I would use the "we" in elementary school saying "you aren't part of the team, it isn't we".

Seriously some people really just need to get a life and stop nit pickery like this This coming from a person on HF who posts as much as I do.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:39 AM
  #7
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
There's a whole pet-peeve list out there about fans who strangely create an attachment to people they associated themselves with through the TV set. It can get weird.

- the use of "we" or "us"
- the strange need to assign nicknames to everyone

I can't see going up to my dentist and calling him "Patches" or asking my mechanic "Plecky" to change my oil.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:45 AM
  #8
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,621
vCash: 137
I hope we win tonight.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:17 AM
  #9
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,980
vCash: 500
"They" just don't understand.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:26 AM
  #10
HTTP 400 Bad Request
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 846
vCash: 13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnk View Post
Interesting article about the use of "we" and "us" when referring to the team we follow as fans:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...hat-do-mean-we
"interesting" is clearly not the good word.

I was expecting some sort of sociological insight, like why do we use "we" when we talk about sport teams but we use "they" when we talk about governments...

Now, that would be interesting.

This article is full of emptiness.

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:31 AM
  #11
capnk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
"interesting" is clearly not the good word.

I was expecting some sort of sociological insight, like why do we use "we" when we talk about sport teams but we use "they" when we talk about governments...

Now, that would be interesting.

This article is full of emptiness.
Well I thought it was interesting and worth sharing.

capnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:44 AM
  #12
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnk View Post
Well I thought it was interesting and worth sharing.
I wonder if you never listened to your mom would you have found it interesting..

I really hope the Pens lose to "us" tonight..

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:49 AM
  #13
Aeneas
Registered User
 
Aeneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Fans tend to use sport teams as a means of self esteem, so when a team wins, and fans will say something like, "we played a great game" and even though the fan isn't actually out there it provides an emotional link that contributes to improve their self esteem, Interestingly, when a team loses a fan is more likely to separate itself saying something like " they played a horrible game, they did x wrong and y wrong" so they don't receive the negative effects towards self esteem.

i use "we" all the time referring to the habs , and i don't see anything wrong with it, if you think about it we the fans buy merchandise, tickets etc, that go towards the organization that pays their salaries, so i will use we if i damn well feel like it

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:58 AM
  #14
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,999
vCash: 50
Awards:
I don't use "we" or "us". Just habit I guess.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:58 AM
  #15
Max Levine
Registered User
 
Max Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
We identify ourselves to our community. The team represents our city just like our amateur athletes represent our country. On the other hand, it's "we" when we win; "they" when they lose.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:00 AM
  #16
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,565
vCash: 500
I favour using "we" and "us" as much as possible. What bugs me is when I mix it up with a "they" or "them" in the same post.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:16 AM
  #17
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
There's a whole pet-peeve list out there about fans who strangely create an attachment to people they associated themselves with through the TV set. It can get weird.

- the use of "we" or "us"
- the strange need to assign nicknames to everyone

I can't see going up to my dentist and calling him "Patches" or asking my mechanic "Plecky" to change my oil.
Would you rather type out Pacioretty and Plekanec everytime? I don't use nicknames when I talk about the team in real life.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:36 AM
  #18
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 12,061
vCash: 500
I love when people use "we" when the Habs win as in "We won". Then, when the Habs lose, they say "They lost".

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:40 AM
  #19
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
People who don't use "we" or think it's weird are just not from the City.

It's fine! It's like a civic pride thing. We are Montreal'ers or we are born in Canada, therefore we are Canadians.

Besides the local's/fans buy all the tix/sweaters, beer, Pizza, satellite channels, etc, just like paying taxes for infrastructure. in a way we buy into it, so we sorta own it.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:40 AM
  #20
Skarjak
Registered User
 
Skarjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
This is like people trying to make rules for when you should or should not wear a jersey. Was the author of this article elected as the arbiter of all that is appropriate? Who the hell is he to say we can't use we?

Most of his arguments are terrible. Players for teams that have good fans often mention the energy they get from the "7th player". Fans certainly have an impact on the game.

He thinks that if you subsidize the team in some way, that gives you the right to use "we", but somehow, buying tickets and merchandise doesn't count? He tries to use a team without fans as an example to show fans are not needed, but fails to mention that team will never get anywhere as long as it doesn't have fans. And of course, that team needs at least some fans to function.

He says it's the only form of entertainment where we use "we", but it's clear he hasn't thought about it for more than ten seconds. Is it typical for people to buy tickets to a concert where a signer from their city competes with a singer from a rival city to outperform him? Is a competitive sport even anywhere close to being analogous to a movie? None of the other forms of entertainment he used as examples have a competitive aspect. The rivalry in sports is what makes people use "we". The team represents your city and it's trying to beat another city's team. This isn't remotely similar to any of the examples he gave.

And finally, he tells us that somehow, the notion that some fans have seen their teams relocate is proof that they can't use "we". Again, did he even think about this? The players themselves are completely powerless to stop a team from moving. Will anyone deny that they can use "we"? If we follow his logic, the only people who can use "we" are the owners of the team.

Just because he talked to one player who didn't care about his fans doesn't mean the sentiment is generalized either.

I'll be wearing my jersey and talking about how we will beat the leafs Saturday, old man yelling at clouds be damned.

And for the record, I don't see how we wouldn't have the right to nickname athletes. People nickname celebrities all the time, it's not just sport fans. I don't see why we should know them as friends before we can nickname them.

EDIT: I still use we when we lose. I should have cheered louder.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:05 PM
  #21
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I fund the team by paying for tickets and buying merchandise. Yes these aren't stocks, but I am investing my own time and money, so saying "us" and "we" is to be expected, especially with the emotional involvement I feel when watching these games.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:42 PM
  #22
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,321
vCash: 50


^Organization approved.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:01 PM
  #23
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
We are as much a part of the team as the players. Without us there is no team. We give them the money they need to play. If you say "we are on a ten game losing streak", than ofcoarse you deserve to say "WE WON THE CUP!!"

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:04 PM
  #24
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarjak View Post
This is like people trying to make rules for when you should or should not wear a jersey. Was the author of this article elected as the arbiter of all that is appropriate? Who the hell is he to say we can't use we?

Most of his arguments are terrible. Players for teams that have good fans often mention the energy they get from the "7th player". Fans certainly have an impact on the game.

He thinks that if you subsidize the team in some way, that gives you the right to use "we", but somehow, buying tickets and merchandise doesn't count? He tries to use a team without fans as an example to show fans are not needed, but fails to mention that team will never get anywhere as long as it doesn't have fans. And of course, that team needs at least some fans to function.

He says it's the only form of entertainment where we use "we", but it's clear he hasn't thought about it for more than ten seconds. Is it typical for people to buy tickets to a concert where a signer from their city competes with a singer from a rival city to outperform him? Is a competitive sport even anywhere close to being analogous to a movie? None of the other forms of entertainment he used as examples have a competitive aspect. The rivalry in sports is what makes people use "we". The team represents your city and it's trying to beat another city's team. This isn't remotely similar to any of the examples he gave.

And finally, he tells us that somehow, the notion that some fans have seen their teams relocate is proof that they can't use "we". Again, did he even think about this? The players themselves are completely powerless to stop a team from moving. Will anyone deny that they can use "we"? If we follow his logic, the only people who can use "we" are the owners of the team.

Just because he talked to one player who didn't care about his fans doesn't mean the sentiment is generalized either.

I'll be wearing my jersey and talking about how we will beat the leafs Saturday, old man yelling at clouds be damned.

And for the record, I don't see how we wouldn't have the right to nickname athletes. People nickname celebrities all the time, it's not just sport fans. I don't see why we should know them as friends before we can nickname them.

EDIT: I still use we when we lose. I should have cheered louder.
Exactly, what I really don't get is how it actually bugs some people. Seriously you must really hate your life if things like that bother you

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:25 PM
  #25
Ollie Williams
Registered User
 
Ollie Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,947
vCash: 167
I could make a case that without "us" there is no team. How long can a team stay in a place without fans? If without us, the fans, the team cannot live, then we are a part of this team, are we not?

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.