HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts on Wolski

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2011, 06:13 AM
  #76
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Torts feels Wolski is soft. Wolski has been sidelined with the groin injury for almost one month. He injured the groin before the Rangers went to Europe. Wolski was scheduled to play in the pre-season game in Philly on September 26 but came up lame. Torts feels Wolski should be able to play with pain. He has to fight through the injury and get back on the ice.

Quote:
"We can't get him out of the tub," the coach said, despite the fact Wolski practiced yesterday after taking part in the morning skate on Tuesday.

Asked whether that meant Wolski was getting hot-tub treatment for the groin, Tortorella said: "I guess."

Wolski, who likely would replace either Erik Christensen or Kris Newbury on the fourth line when he returns, is in the final year of his contract under which he carries a $3.8 million cap hit.

Presumably there are hot tubs in Hartford, too.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1bJs0Iue3

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:38 AM
  #77
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
I'm not sure why what happened to Zherdev after he left here has to do with Torts and what happened when he was here. Renney seemed to get a pretty good season out of Z when he was here (and I'm no Z fan), and the Flyers situation is completely different because that team was stacked with talented players unlike the one he was on when he was here.
I bring it up because it's not about Torts' using the guy incorrectly, it's about the guy not doing what the coach(es) expect from him - EVERYWHERE he goes. Not to mention the fact that the guy looked like a deer in the headlights for 7 playoff games and then wants a huge raise. He's immensely talented and I really wish he could get his **** together.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
I don't disagree that Z is at fault for not being around anymore, but it doesn't change the fact that Torts has zero patience for players that have tons of offensive potential but not much else. This was a guy that had 60 plus points the year before Torts got here. It didn't take him long to run him out of town.
How complicated is it to back check and be hard on the puck? Seriously, if I were coach and the guy(s) I were coaching were unable/unwilling to do that then I'd have no use for them either. If Marian Gaborik (via Wild/LeMaire) can be convinced to be defensively responsible then there's no reason not to expect that from other "talented" forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Why aren't you as adamant about the coach adapting? If he were really good at what he does he'd be able to get the most out of players and wouldn't end up kicking talent out of town because they won't play the way he wants them to. It goes both ways you know. How many teams with a bunch of grinders and muckers have won the Cup? You still need talent places.
Because I disagree with the notion of "all of you need to backcheck and support your D - except for you WW, because you've got good hands". It sends the wrong message to your team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Wolski needs to be given a legitimate shot next to Richards and Gabby when healthy. That's really all there is to it. Not one preseason game and then Torts gives up and has had enough. He needs a stretch of games to see if it works. If it doesn't and he's playing on the fourth line then it's just another in a long line of mismanagement from this coach.
Disagree again. WW hasn't earned anything (whether that's fair or not, considering his injury) and, at this point, it's Stepan's job to lose. What kind of message are you sending Derek if he's booted from top line the second the mercurial WW joins the lineup?

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:28 AM
  #78
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i agree w2 isnt gonna be here long. he "guesses so" ? what a ****ing clown comment that is right there.

hes everything torts hates. hes talented. hes european. hes got no "jam". dude is gonzo soon.

eventually we will have a whole line of brandon prusts.

good bye avery.
good bye zuc.
good bye w2.

if i were anisimov i wouldnt be buying a place anytime soon.
This is a ridiculous comment. The 3 aforementioned players are basically useless, imo; spare parts, if you will.

Anisimov is our best two-way center.

You can't see the difference?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:40 AM
  #79
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
This is a ridiculous comment. The 3 aforementioned players are basically useless, imo; spare parts, if you will.

Anisimov is our best two-way center.

You can't see the difference?
i can. arty is a solid player and a player i happen to like in the correct role ( 3c not 2c ) even is he is off to a so-so start. his foot speed and decision making still scare me and have since he played with the pack.

my point is that torts plays favorites and even though arty is solid defensively, its not beyond the realm that he could find himself in the dog house. he is, after all, a (lazy) russian.

i tend to think that artys checking ability will save him from the wrath of the clown as he can be productive even if hes not scoring. but the sooner hes removed from a scoring line, the better his chances of success will be. hes just not a 2c.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:04 AM
  #80
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,553
vCash: 500
Is Wolski back in 2nite? Or are they going to aim for botjh Sauer and WW on Saturday?

I assume EC would sit

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:11 AM
  #81
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Anyone else picture Wolski floating around in the tub with some rubber duckies and tug boats and Torts yelling at him to get out? Wolski - "Not yet!"
A whole bunch of candles around him and a "Mr. Bubble" bottle on the edge of the tub... lol

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:59 AM
  #82
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
From the NYDN blog:
Wojtek Wolski (sore groin) has practiced every day so far this week and felt better after Wednesday’s skate than he did on Monday. But Tortorella wasn’t exactly brimming with confidence when asked whether Wolski was making progress.

“He’s gotta get out of the tub,” Tortorella said, presumably meaning Wolski still must spend significant time recovering off the ice. “Can’t get him out of the tub.”
You're just restating the same things. Brook's BS about Torts feeding him nothing. Your buying into Brooks editorializing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Anyone else picture Wolski floating around in the tub with some rubber duckies and tug boats and Torts yelling at him to get out? Wolski - "Not yet!"
Playing with little army men around the tub and floating ships like they're all having a battle, making shooting noises...pew pew

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:02 AM
  #83
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
You're just restating the same things. Brook's BS about Torts feeding him nothing. Your buying into Brooks editorializing.

Playing with little army men around the tub and floating ships like they're all having a battle, making shooting noises...pew pew
I posted this follow up to the original Brooks tweet, from Leonard from the NYDN to get another beat writers take...so you think Leonard and Brooks are conspiring together?

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:04 AM
  #84
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
"We can't get him out of the tub," the coach said, despite the fact Wolski practiced yesterday after taking part in the morning skate on Tuesday.

Asked whether that meant Wolski was getting hot-tub treatment for the groin, Tortorella said: "I guess."

Wolski, who likely would replace either Erik Christensen or Kris Newbury on the fourth line when he returns, is in the final year of his contract under which he carries a $3.8 million cap hit.

Presumably there are hot tubs in Hartford, too.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1bJs0Iue3[/QUOTE]

All torts comments "we can't get him out of the tub...I guess"

Every thing else is BS from Brooks making an article. There is zero indication from the Rangers that W2 who, to this point has produced nothing because he's been hurt, just like Mark Staal has been, will be waived to Hartford. IIRC you can't waive an inured player.

Brooks is getting nothing from the coach and it's his job to right about the Rangers so he has no choice but to editorialize or lose his job, so he's editorializing like the rag of a paper the Daily News will let him do.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:12 AM
  #85
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
All torts comments "we can't get him out of the tub...I guess"

Every thing else is BS from Brooks making an article. There is zero indication from the Rangers that W2 who, to this point has produced nothing because he's been hurt, just like Mark Staal has been, will be waived to Hartford. IIRC you can't waive an inured player.

Brooks is getting nothing from the coach and it's his job to right about the Rangers so he has no choice but to editorialize or lose his job, so he's editorializing like the rag of a paper the Daily News will let him do.[/QUOTE]

First of all Brooks writes for the Post..this is the quote from Pat Leonard of the Daily News:

From the NYDN blog:
Wojtek Wolski (sore groin) has practiced every day so far this week and felt better after Wednesday’s skate than he did on Monday. But Tortorella wasn’t exactly brimming with confidence when asked whether Wolski was making progress.

“He’s gotta get out of the tub,” Tortorella said, presumably meaning Wolski still must spend significant time recovering off the ice. “Can’t get him out of the tub.”

So I'll ask again do you think the 2 beat writers are conspiring? Clearly both writer sense Torts has some issues with WW, you can certainly discount Brooks if you like based on his history, but Leonard too?

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:33 AM
  #86
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
I bring it up because it's not about Torts' using the guy incorrectly, it's about the guy not doing what the coach(es) expect from him - EVERYWHERE he goes. Not to mention the fact that the guy looked like a deer in the headlights for 7 playoff games and then wants a huge raise. He's immensely talented and I really wish he could get his **** together.


How complicated is it to back check and be hard on the puck? Seriously, if I were coach and the guy(s) I were coaching were unable/unwilling to do that then I'd have no use for them either. If Marian Gaborik (via Wild/LeMaire) can be convinced to be defensively responsible then there's no reason not to expect that from other "talented" forwards.


Because I disagree with the notion of "all of you need to backcheck and support your D - except for you WW, because you've got good hands". It sends the wrong message to your team.



Disagree again. WW hasn't earned anything (whether that's fair or not, considering his injury) and, at this point, it's Stepan's job to lose. What kind of message are you sending Derek if he's booted from top line the second the mercurial WW joins the lineup?

I don't disagree with much of what you write, but as a coach there are some times you have to cut your nose to spite your face.

Players like Gaborik score goals because they take chances sometimes. I don't think Torts is going to bench him when he cheats and Richie hits him for a home run. It's when it backfires that Torts flips his lid. You can't have it both ways.

My problem is mostly with his inability to find a way to make these players successful. It's his job to figure that out. Since he's been here it seems he can only do that if you play the way that he wants you to. Unfortunately there are players that don't fit that mold. And I don't believe that you can win JUST having players that fit Torts' mold.

You really think Torts is a huge Gabby fan? How many times did he bench him last year? He threw him under the bus after the Flyers game two years ago after Gabby carried his sorry team on his back all year. Torts will tolerate it with Gabby because what other choice does he have? He's an elite level talent.

I don't disagree that Wolski hasn't earned anything yet, but can you tell me when he's been given a chance to?

He got one preseason game with those guys and that was it, Torts had had enough. Since then he's been hurt. I just don't think there's any other way to go about it then to put Wolski with those two when he's back. It's not a knock on Stepan and it'd be pretty easy to explain to him.

If Wolski gets a legitimate chance and does nothing then fine. He needs to be gone from this team. Waive him, trade him, I don't care. There is no use for a player of his attributes playing on a fourth line for 7 minutes a night. None.

I'm not saying that I think Wolski will succeed. What I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense to try anything else at this point if Torts is committed to Dubi-Arty-Cally and Feds-Boyle-Prust.

Will Torts make a decision to try and set a player up for success, or failure?

Based on how he handled MZA I'm going to guess the latter.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:36 AM
  #87
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
I am a fan of Torts, but he is beginning to bother me. In my opinion, a good coach gets the best out of his players. There is a ton of talent in WW, but I think Torts has made his mind up. WW's potential will go unrealized because of this...at least on the Rangers.

"We cant get him out of the tub" is not a comment you make about a player that you respect.

I think Renney was superior to Torts when it comes to getting players to play up to their potential.

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:46 AM
  #88
TreeSapLlama
Registered User
 
TreeSapLlama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
I am a fan of Torts, but he is beginning to bother me. In my opinion, a good coach gets the best out of his players. There is a ton of talent in WW, but I think Torts has made his mind up. WW's potential will go unrealized because of this...at least on the Rangers.

"We cant get him out of the tub" is not a comment you make about a player that you respect.

I think Renney was superior to Torts when it comes to getting players to play up to their potential.
Wolski is 25 years old and is on his 3rd NHL team. He is injured. Yet you blame torts for not using him correctly? How do you use an injured player? Are you insinuating that he isn't injured, and Torts is just holding him out?

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:46 AM
  #89
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
I am a fan of Torts, but he is beginning to bother me. In my opinion, a good coach gets the best out of his players. There is a ton of talent in WW, but I think Torts has made his mind up. WW's potential will go unrealized because of this...at least on the Rangers.

"We cant get him out of the tub" is not a comment you make about a player that you respect.

I think Renney was superior to Torts when it comes to getting players to play up to their potential.
Given his history I don't think the unrealized potential will be Torts fault...clearly this has been an issue with the other 2 teams he played for.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:51 AM
  #90
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
Wolski is 25 years old and is on his 3rd NHL team. He is injured. Yet you blame torts for not using him correctly? How do you use an injured player? Are you insinuating that he isn't injured, and Torts is just holding him out?
no...I'm concluding from Tort's disrespectful comment that he wont get proper opportunity or support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Given his history I don't think the unrealized potential will be Torts fault...clearly this has been an issue with the other 2 teams he played for.
I don't disagree that WW has not lived up to his potential, but I also feel that under Torts its not likely to happen.

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:07 AM
  #91
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
no...I'm concluding from Tort's disrespectful comment that he wont get proper opportunity or support.



I don't disagree that WW has not lived up to his potential, but I also feel that under Torts its not likely to happen.
So how will that make Torts any different than his previous NHL coaches? I think the organization proved their support by not buying him out...its all on WW now.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:11 AM
  #92
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,897
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
no...I'm concluding from Tort's disrespectful comment that he wont get proper opportunity or support.



I don't disagree that WW has not lived up to his potential, but I also feel that under Torts its not likely to happen.
It's hard to give a guy desire. That has to come from within.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:29 AM
  #93
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,075
vCash: 500
there are some things you can play through...a groin injury is real tough to play through....you just cant skate with any power at all...id rather have a knee injury than a groin or hip injury.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:40 AM
  #94
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
So how will that make Torts any different than his previous NHL coaches? I think the organization proved their support by not buying him out...its all on WW now.
it wont be different. that is my point.

not buying a player out should not be considered support. Mocking his injury to the media is also not support

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:41 AM
  #95
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's hard to give a guy desire. That has to come from within.
perhaps. and perhaps good coaching can get players to perform above what some may consider their "ceiling"

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:44 AM
  #96
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,897
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
perhaps. and perhaps good coaching can get players to perform above what some may consider their "ceiling"
I think a guy can help a willing player maximize their potential or get the the most from their talent. But it's on the player to want it. A coach can't give a player a heart that's not there.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:44 AM
  #97
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
it wont be different. that is my point.

not buying a player out should not be considered support. Mocking his injury to the media is also not support
At a $3.8 million cap hit and a woeful previous season, not being bought means the organization has some faith that you will be a productive player. Sometimes guys need a boot in the ass...Prust got benched for a good part of the Canucks game for not playing smart and nobody is concerned that he isn't getting "support" and nobody plays with more heart than Prust.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:45 AM
  #98
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,263
vCash: 500
when you're w2, any injury is just a smokescreen to torts. serious groin injuries are difficult to play through- you just cant push off and torts knows that. you are either healed or you are out.

i agree with the previous poster who said this indicates torts has no respect for wojtek. his words say that. as ive said before 1000x, once the clown sours on you, you usually go away.

i can bet my left nugget that coach clown would never say that about mike sauer and his bum shoulder.

the guy is just a hypocritical doosh.

as an aside, this team, with br19 in the fold and the rest of the returning guys is looked at as a dark horse to make some noise this season. i think the pressure is on torts to produce and hes looking at this as his chance to make some noise with a team he likes. the injuries have caused some concern already.

if we continue to look like we have so far, he could begin to melt down. it will suck for us to struggle to win games again, no one wants that- but atleast it will be fun to watch him blow apart...

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:49 AM
  #99
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think a guy can help a willing player maximize their potential or get the the most from their talent. But it's on the player to want it. A coach can't give a player a heart that's not there.
A coach can crush any willingness to play for a team when he mocks his injury to the media. How would you feel if before you play one freaking game because of an injury your coach was talking ***** about you to the newspapers?

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:52 AM
  #100
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
At a $3.8 million cap hit and a woeful previous season, not being bought means the organization has some faith that you will be a productive player. Sometimes guys need a boot in the ass...Prust got benched for a good part of the Canucks game for not playing smart and nobody is concerned that he isn't getting "support" and nobody plays with more heart than Prust.
terrible analogy,

simply buying someone out is not as easy and practical as you think it is.

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.