HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A DG like Burke in Montreal, Is it possible?

Old
10-20-2011, 10:00 AM
AreYouHockey

vCash: 500
By the way, I did not say BRIAN BURKE.

I said, a BRIAN BURKE TYPE OF GM.

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What does it matter if we traded the pick for Lang or for Steve freakin Stamkos, it was a good trade.

The only advantage to Grabovsky over Gomez is cap hit. Gomez has outproduced hum by a lot as an NHLer. Before last year Grabovsky never produced as a legit #1 or 2 center.
Gomez also played a lot more since he is 5 years older

Right now Grabovski is playing like a #2 center while Gomez is not

Like I said if you think it was a good trade, good for you that's your opinion, your allowed to have your opinion just like everyone else, I didn't like the trade then and I still don't now

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:13 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Mike was offered 4.5M by Toronto according to Marinaro, and Gionta was signed after.
Komisarek had nothing to do with the Gionta signing!

Kovalev was offered $9,000,000.00 for two years and he refused, he was then offered $10,000,000.00 for two years and he said give me $15,000,000.00 for three years and wanted that third year, Montreal refused and signed Gionta (thank god!!!).

Komisarek not signing in Montreal = Gill + Spacek signings

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:24 AM
BLONG7

Glad Burkie is in TO, he is perfect for them, hopefully he stays there for another 4-5 years, and keeps Wilson there too!

The media in Montreal would drive Burkie insane, more insane than the media in TO...keep him or any GM like him away...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:12 AM
EXPOS123

I don't understand this hate for Burke. I can't stand the Leafs, but the man's a great gm. He's won everywhere he's gone. Do you guys even remember the team he inherited in Toronto back in 2008? Totally useless players with monstrous contracts like Blake,McCabe, Stajan...etc...He had virtually nothing of value to trade and basically had to start from scratch. In three short years, he has brought them from basement dwellers to possibly making the playoffs this year. Yes, it's not the Cup, but how's Gainey's five year plan going? That's what I thought. Has he made some bad signings and trades? Of course, but at least he is smart enought to realize them and correct them. He buried Jeff Finger in the minors, got rid of Beachemin, got back a first round pick for Kaberle, and i'm sure he's gonna do something with Komi to get out of that contract. What do we do with our mistakes? We play them a la Gomez and Spacek. The team already had a decent nucleus that is pretty young. Add to that guys like Colburne and Gardiner and it wouldn't surprise me to see them be very competitive in a year or two. Again, my hate for the Leafs knows no limits, but I would love to have Burke here.

EXPOS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:19 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Chien Chaud de Burkie at the Bell Centre?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:19 AM
LesCanadiens

Burke is a tool.

Give it time. He'll be exposed for how much of a tool he is. Out here in BC, we all know already.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Cupmonger

Let's see if the Leafs make the playoffs first. Then how far they go. And if they can go further the year after. Before we think of finding a Burke type GM. From experience, Leafs always get a very hot start and start cooling down around November/December.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Burke is a tool.

Give it time. He'll be exposed for how much of a tool he is. Out here in BC, we all know already.
Wasn't he behind the deal that landed both Sedin's in Vancouver on draft day?

Old
10-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post

Like I said if you think it was a good trade, good for you that's your opinion, your allowed to have your opinion just like everyone else, I didn't like the trade then and I still don't now
Right now Grabovsky has 1 point in 5 games...if you want to crap on Gomez for not producing well that's a pace for like 16 points.

Grabovsky has played like a #2 for 1 of his 4 years in the NHL. Gomez has been #1 or 2 calibre for like 9 of 10 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Habs fans deserve an organization that is way more transparent than the one we have now. It would eliminate a whole lot of stupidities that is being said while 99% of the infos are coming from guesses since they don't talk. We might not need a Burke per se, but somebody in the freakin middle should be nice. This freakin paranoia that is everywhere in this organization is way too much. So how's Markov doing? Let's speculate again shall we....It would also show some respect to the fans. Again, no need to know EVERYTHING....but it's more secret than the FBI at one point...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:35 AM
groovejuice

Burke's trading/drafting saavy aside, I don't think a GM like him could never be popular in Montreal. He is the surliest, most brusque, ungracious interview in the league, and he hired a coach who is just as unpleasant. These guys make Gauthier and Martin seem like gregarious, light-hearted wits.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPOS123 View Post
I don't understand this hate for Burke. I can't stand the Leafs, but the man's a great gm. He's won everywhere he's gone. Do you guys even remember the team he inherited in Toronto back in 2008? Totally useless players with monstrous contracts like Blake,McCabe, Stajan...etc...He had virtually nothing of value to trade and basically had to start from scratch. In three short years, he has brought them from basement dwellers to possibly making the playoffs this year. Yes, it's not the Cup, but how's Gainey's five year plan going? That's what I thought. Has he made some bad signings and trades? Of course, but at least he is smart enought to realize them and correct them. He buried Jeff Finger in the minors, got rid of Beachemin, got back a first round pick for Kaberle, and i'm sure he's gonna do something with Komi to get out of that contract. What do we do with our mistakes? We play them a la Gomez and Spacek. The team already had a decent nucleus that is pretty young. Add to that guys like Colburne and Gardiner and it wouldn't surprise me to see them be very competitive in a year or two. Again, my hate for the Leafs knows no limits, but I would love to have Burke here.
Taking 3 years to get a team "possibly making the playoffs" is nothing to brag about.

Not sure what planet you are living on, but when he traded Stajan he had 41 points in 55 games(60+ pace) and making 1.75 mil.

Most of the bad contracts he is the one that signed them or traded for them(Giguere Komisarek Phaneuf Lupul Armstrong Connolly Liles) trading for Kessel at the cost he paid will haunt him for a long time.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Habs fans deserve an organization that is way more transparent than the one we have now. It would eliminate a whole lot of stupidities that is being said while 99% of the infos are coming from guesses since they don't talk. We might not need a Burke per se, but somebody in the freakin middle should be nice. This freakin paranoia that is everywhere in this organization is way too much. So how's Markov doing? Let's speculate again shall we....It would also show some respect to the fans. Again, no need to know EVERYTHING....but it's more secret than the FBI at one point...
What secrets are they withholding? What time each player took a bathroom break?

There are no secrets with Markov, he is in Florida under the watchful eye of Dr James Andrews(world renowned surgeon) as they want to make sure that he comes all the way back and there are no setbacks.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Taking 3 years to get a team "possibly making the playoffs" is nothing to brag about.

Not sure what planet you are living on, but when he traded Stajan he had 41 points in 55 games(60+ pace) and making 1.75 mil.

Most of the bad contracts he is the one that signed them or traded for them(Giguere Komisarek Phaneuf Lupul Armstrong Connolly Liles) trading for Kessel at the cost he paid will haunt him for a long time.
He traded a pile of crap to Calgary for Phaneuf and even received Aulie

He got Gardiner along Lupul cause of cap space and was a great move

Liles was for a 2nd rounder which was Boston's from the Kaberle deal and he replaces Kaberle for them

Connolly was bad, but we signed Markov which like Connolly is a huge risk

It's nice to crap on someone but do a bit of homework before

Old
10-20-2011, 11:48 AM
ReVeuF

I like a GM who is charismatic and who go see the press from time to time just to give a heads up of what he plan to do in the future of his team.

A GM can never be satisfied of his team, always a place need improvement... and Gauthier is satisfied of his team, right there I see a big problem...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:56 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:

Liles was for a 2nd rounder which was Boston's from the Kaberle deal and he replaces Kaberle for them

Markov is miles ahead of Connolly when healthy. Don't even dare to compare.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:58 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Wasn't he behind the deal that landed both Sedin's in Vancouver on draft day?
Why do you think he was picking so high?

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Markov is miles ahead of Connolly when healthy. Don't even dare to compare.
Not at all, I know that. They both have a history of injury that was my point

Old
10-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

How is Stajan(55 GP 41 points) Hagman(55GP 20-13-33) White(56 GP 9-17-26 +1 on defense) a pile of crap?

Phaneuf makes 6.5 mil a year, that's a lot for a guy who should be a #3 d-man.

He traded one of his best d-men in Beauchemin to get Gardiner and a salary dump in Lupul. You make it sound like he got Gardiner for free.

Liles makes 4.2 mil and is bad defensively, trading a 2nd rounder for him is not a good move. we got Wisniewski for that and it was "in season" where prices are higher, Wisniewski made less money and is better offensively and defensively.

Comparing Connolly to Markov is a joke I hope...not even in the same stratosphere.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:06 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:

what example would a GM give to hes players if he didnt trade Grabovski and let him miss practices,planes etc.... its been awhile so dont really remember all the chaos he was creating but he was no angel here and was creating alot of buzz specially with the Kostitsyn brothers,of course Gomez been fustrating to watch at times but atleast he doesnt bring a negative attitude to the locker room,same thing applies to the Ribeiro trade,Ribeiro is shinning in Dallas but he was a pest here and trust me i know cuz i personally know Mike,he hated the fact that Koivu would put him in place when he would show up to practices still hangover from the night before him and Koivu were always fighting,moving to texas revived hes career,no nightlife in texas also in Philly you think they liked the idea of trading their Captain Richards ? sometimes these trades work out better for the player since they see it has a new start so it makes the GM look real bad but doesnt mean they would have that same success in our team's.....Grabovski was one of these pests,has for Montreal trading for Gomez,i guess that centennial year was a complete failure for Gainey to let half the team walk away,most were getting old ne ways so the organisation decided to start fresh with new blood,the Gomez trade was the first step to go into free agency and show every UFA that the organisation wants to win,sure Gomez hasnt produced like expected but hes not bringing negative attitude to the team and im sure every player in the locker room would agree.

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
What secrets are they withholding? What time each player took a bathroom break?

There are no secrets with Markov, he is in Florida under the watchful eye of Dr James Andrews(world renowned surgeon) as they want to make sure that he comes all the way back and there are no setbacks.
As if you would have known if his picture would not have been taken....They had to comment on it based on the picture a guy had taken. As if they are the ones coming forward with those infos instead of the journalists going with their "analysis" of the situation. As in during the draft when now Timmins can give his analysis of the players we got 'cause now everything has to go through Gauthier. As in, the 2 press conferences Gauthier gives each year and always sounds like "We haven't made our final analysis of the team, we'll let you know when we do" compared to most if not all the teams who addresses their weaknesses are have a real press conference with real stuff in it. As in, tons of other examples but if you can't see them, there's nothing I can do more...

I guess I'll be hearing about the fact that it's impossible to see Gauthier say in a market like Montreal that he's looking for a d-man 'cause if he doesn't pull the plug on a guy, he'll be criticized.....as if it stopped people to criticize him anyway....

Just listen to other coaches and GM's throughout the league. And this crap about Montreal not being the same is totally overrated. Whether you say or don't say something, every sports shows will talk about the Habs anyway. But instead of speculating, we might be tempted to talk about the reality a little more. Have we talked to certain players as far as UFA's are concerned? What about Jagr? How the heck is it THAT difficult to say that you were or were not interested? Etc., etc. and freakin etc....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:10 PM
BeerHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
I like a GM who is charismatic and who go see the press from time to time just to give a heads up of what he plan to do in the future of his team.

A GM can never be satisfied of his team, always a place need improvement... and Gauthier is satisfied of his team, right there I see a big problem...
Well you know what, I would hate my GM to say, you know what my team is ok but player A sucks and Player B could be improved...First of all that destroys the last chance you have of Player A & B even trying to put out a correct effort. A Boss in whatever company, will always try to better is team, but will also always tell his team that he knows they are the best....
But he is not satisfied with his team, he's always trying to improve and such, Betts, Campolli, The Wiz are onloy example of that...

BeerHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:10 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
They miss the playoffs for what now 7 years straight, basically give the Bruins a Cup and now after a 4 game winning streak we want to emulate their GM's work?

Is this real?
Gave the bruins a what? Please, this kind of non sense doesn't belong here. Knight never played, Seguin was a healthy scratch on most nights and DH was drafted this year, he had as much to do with the bruins winning the cup as PG, none.

It's fine if you don't like burke, I'm not overly fond of him myself, but there are enough things to be critical about without making **** up. This makes you look like acomplete homer unable to properly judge others work.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
How is Stajan(55 GP 41 points) Hagman(55GP 20-13-33) White(56 GP 9-17-26 +1 on defense) a pile of crap?

Phaneuf makes 6.5 mil a year, that's a lot for a guy who should be a #3 d-man.

He traded one of his best d-men in Beauchemin to get Gardiner and a salary dump in Lupul. You make it sound like he got Gardiner for free.

Liles makes 4.2 mil and is bad defensively, trading a 2nd rounder for him is not a good move. we got Wisniewski for that and it was "in season" where prices are higher, Wisniewski made less money and is better offensively and defensively.

Comparing Connolly to Markov is a joke I hope...not even in the same stratosphere.
Stajan had 31 pts last year, far from being a great player

And Gomez makes..... Don't start talking about salaries now cause we have our own share of players that are way overpaid

I never compared both players, I compared the situations they were in at the time of both being signed by their respective teams.