HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will be our next main rival?

View Poll Results: Who do you think will be our most heated rival for the rest of this decade?
Still the Isles. Always the Isles, even after all those non-competitive years. 20 38.46%
Devils. They upset us too much in the past that we'll still hate them even when they are terrible. 9 17.31%
Boston. Dude, Stanley Cup Champs! 0 0%
Washington: We met them in playoffs twice, heat is bound to build if we meet them again. 2 3.85%
Pittsburgh. I hate Cindy! And they are in Atlantic, so who cares how far they are. 6 11.54%
Philadelphia: Atlantic division rivals who should be good for many years 15 28.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-20-2011, 08:00 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Rangers - Bruins was a great rivalry until the NHL decided it would be good idea to separate them. (Not a good idea).

Of all the "Original Six" teams, the Rangers are in a division by themselves. Secluded from the other five teams. AWFUL decision by the NHL.

Hopefully a realignment will rebirth the NYC-BOS rivalry in hockey.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:06 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

No matter how the NHL decides to realign, "Original Six" teams should be paired.

Detroit-Chicago
Toronto-Montreal
Boston-New York

I know folks will throw their arms up about the Canadiens and Bruins being split up... but **** 'em.

The Rangers-Bruins rivalry was deep seeded hate for one another. And the rivalry was squashed and taken away because of expansion.

Instead the other sisters in Long Island and Newark have to be our rivals... two teams that can't support themselves.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:32 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

I'll use my own history here, early 70's our rival was the Bruins, late 70's was the Flyers, the 80's it was the Isles and the 90's and 2000's its been the Devils...to me rivalries are born from intense playoff battles.

I think you continue to severely underrate the Isles. You also seem to be blowing the Devils UFA situation out of proportion, 5 of UFA's they have to sign before next season make a total of $5.1 million, Salvador makes 2.9 of the 5.1 almost 1/2. The only "trouble" spots they have from a UFA standpoint are goalies and Parise. They also have 4.6 million in cap space this season according to Capgeek and have 1 million in buyouts coming off the books at the end of this season. If they add nothing they essentially go into next season with 5.6 million of cap space...and considering the CBA is set to expire having Cap space and a high number of UFA's isn't necessarily a bad thing if as expected their will be a cap roll back, and taking into account that there are currently 8 teams with less than 1 million in current space, including 3 with $0 cap space and another 2 with less than $250k cap space. That puts the Devils in a good position to take advantage of teams who may find themselves in cap trouble with the new CBA.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:41 AM
PavelBure9

Gotta go with the Isles. Within the next two years, their young players will be up and ours will be up too.

With the Islanders young players like Tavares, Nino, Strome, Hamonic, McDonald, Bailey to name a few of their younger players, and Streit giving that team vetern leadership, the only questions would be in goal and if Montoya can provide that stability this team could be a 4-5 seed next year. The other question is if they stay in LI at all or if they move(hopefully they won't leave)

With the Rangers, they have that young core with Stepan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan, Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, Sauer, with Richards, Gaborik, and Lundqvist providing that leadership. The only question I think is how good can our prospects become since they are not high picks that usually come with high expectation. Will Krieder turn out, Will McIrath be Pronger or Gill, Will Thomas be like his Dad?

Because of how young both teams players are, they will stay as stable teams for a very long time, meaning they will know each team well enough to form a rivalry and instate can only add to the rivalry.

I guess you could make the same argument with Philly but just because the Islanders are In state gives them less of a chance that they will be moved out of that division because of realignment. That being said, it all is determined of realignment. If they decide to do an MLB format, such as an AL and NL, they could theoretically put NYI and NYR in two different conferences. That's very radical but a posibility albeit very unlikely. Also, this division I think is one of the best divisions in hockey so theres a chance that even though these teams could be stacked, they might make it to the playoffs as a 7 or 8 or not make it all. It all turns out with who's good that year within the division because this division will be good for a long time.

PavelBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Matteau Matteau

Devils for me. Flyers a close second. I really started losing interest in the Fishsticks during those bad years.

We'll see if they can reignite my hatred, but for now I'm sticking with the Devils.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:26 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Devils for me, and I think you could say that about the actual team too. We usually play great against the Devils, both teams come out flying, you can really feel the rivalry. When we play the Islanders, they are the only team that plays like it's a rivalry.

It's hard to REALLY hate the Islanders with their level of play the last few years. They are getting back up there now, and I don't like them, but right now on a personal level they are probably last on that list for me.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:49 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

*** Fishsticks....hate Em!!!!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:03 AM
averyrule

I already hate the Pens more than any of those teams. I think the Isles rivalry will heat up again soon as the team is getting better, but right now none of those old rivalries are the same as they were when I was a kid.

averyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:56 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Isles, of course depending on whether they continue to stay on Long Island. Deeply dispise Phily but not enough to overcome how much I dislike Devs and Isles.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:06 PM
NYRMatt

Flyers, only because I live in Pennsylvania.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:12 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

It's funny..every year people predict that this is the year that the Devils fall off. And it never happens. Not until last year. They got off to a horrible start, mostly because of how much of an AWFUL coach John MacLean was, and from what I heard there was a lot of problems in the locker room with Langenbrunner. They basically couldn't wait to get rid of him. But once Langs and Mac were gone, they went on this miraculous run and almost made the playoffs. If they had fired MacLean and traded Langenbrunner sooner, who knows what would've happened?

Bottom line is the Devils scare me every year. They have for the last 15-16 years, and I just don't see that changing, at least not until Marty retires. Then they will have a serious problem in net. Cause from what I can see, they have no one in the system to replace him. But again, good goalies come from out of nowhere sometimes. Henrik being a good example. My opinion is that Parise WILL re-sign. They wouldn't have made him Captain if they didn't have EVERY intention of bringing him back. He will resign and most likely, so will Zajac. So them plus Kovy, and now Larsson (who I believe will be a stud offensive D-man), still makes them a pretty decent team to me. And Tedenby and Josefson have a lot of potential from what I have seen. So to me, they are still our #1 rival. Plus being married to a Devils season ticket holder..it doesn't give me much of a choice!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

The answer is the Islanders. It has always been the Islanders.

1. Isles

2. Devils
3. Pens

4. Philly

Not sure how Philly is in 2nd Part of being a main rival would have that team being ours as well, and Philly has the Pens and Devils before us.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:16 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The Isles are on the rise. I take great joy in the Deb's struggle.

I'll always hate the Isles and the Debs the most.
Hope you enjoyed it while it lasted. Last year was the exception that proves the rule.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote