HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Read (thread started in 2011)

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2011, 10:29 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I understand your concerns about the possibility of him burning out. However his being 25 and not a slight kid should help him later on in the season. If I was Harts and Nodl I would be slightly worried. With the young talent we have and with a lot of picks in the next two drafts. I am stoked to the max about our future. So far so good.
Me too...come a long way since this thread I posted all because management showed some ballz and made two gutsy trades although one of them I wasn't really expecting but now understand more. I like what we've done and I give Holmgren and Snider credit where credit is due....although I still think Snider was the impetus given how Holmgren seemed bothered by what he HAD to do....

Snider is one shrewd businessman and I'm glad he changed his paradigm with the loyalty thing and made a good business move. We couldn't go on with the little groups and bad culture in the room and the depression-like farm system...now we're restocked and actually have so much depth it's hard to manage the ice time....good problem to have!

BTW the whole burn out thing is something that shouldn't be confined to just rookies..heck we have veterans that are going to need to maintain their performance through so many games and the playoffs....

Old
10-18-2011, 10:30 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Been following this kid (well not much of a kid...) since the start of the season and WTF he's killer out there. The Flyers are still fun to watch from line 1 to 4

Old
Readyrock
(・_・;)

On a team full of burnout risks, Read seems the most vulnerable. He's pushing himself into the red on every single shift.

It's going to be a fun season watching him, though.

Old
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Me too...come a long way since this thread I posted all because management showed some ballz and made two gutsy trades although one of them I wasn't really expecting but now understand more. I like what we've done and I give Holmgren and Snider credit where credit is due....although I still think Snider was the impetus given how Holmgren seemed bothered by what he HAD to do....Snider is one shrewd businessman and I'm glad he changed his paradigm with the loyalty thing and made a good business move. We couldn't go on with the little groups and bad culture in the room and the depression-like farm system...now we're restocked and actually have so much depth it's hard to manage the ice time....good problem to have!
He had to do it, but he knew it was for the best..

Old
10-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

As i said.

Read is farther along offensively than Couts and Schenn.

Couts looks like he is starting to develop that offensive touch.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
As i said.

Couts looks like he is starting to develop that offensive touch.
ya couturier has had high quality chances... could have 3 or 4 goals by now.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
If Usain Bolt was seven-years-old, I could beat him in a race.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:52 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
If Usain Bolt was seven-years-old, I could beat him in a race.
That was perfect.

Old
10-19-2011, 03:41 AM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

What is your feeling on this guy? Is he going to play a full 82 games? Will he be pushed out of the line up by any injury returns? Can he keep a similar pace going?

I'm thinking of signing him in a hockey pool, its a salary based pool so his $0.900 is very appealing especially since he ranks 33 amongst skaters in our point system. Really if he can be even half as productive he will be a good deal for me.

Advice is appreciated.

Old
10-19-2011, 03:49 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
What is your feeling on this guy? Is he going to play a full 82 games? Will he be pushed out of the line up by any injury returns? Can he keep a similar pace going?

I'm thinking of signing him in a hockey pool, its a salary based pool so his $0.900 is very appealing especially since he ranks 33 amongst skaters in our point system. Really if he can be even half as productive he will be a good deal for me.

Advice is appreciated.
He's a college kid so he's going to eventually hit a dry spell. That considered he's going to be far more valuable in the first half of the season than the second half.

I'd also side it'd be pretty hard to remove him from the lineup now. Should Schenn come up and prove his worth though, it is Read who gets kicked out of the top 9.

I'd say anywhere from 30-45 points is a reasonable outcome for Read with 35-40 being the more likely result points wise. Should he stay in the top 9 all season.

Old
10-19-2011, 04:37 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Does anyone else think that he skates and looks almost identical to giroux on the ice. The ottawa announcers thought it was giroux when he scores the first goal, and they did not realize it was read until abou a minute later.
They also thought walker was asham. And talbot was simmonds. Good ol Potvin

Old
10-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:

Advice is appreciated.
Obviously injuries and illness will happen eventually - however Read is not one of the more likely guys to sit just yet (given his 6 points and strong play)

Both Nodl and Rinaldo are playing well but will be our top candidates to sit first. No idea what the coaches will do with Shelley after his suspension though. Harry Z has looked great and then there's that Schenn kid...

Last edited by Gert B Frobe: 10-19-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old
10-19-2011, 10:24 AM
TheSpectrum

Quote:

Advice is appreciated.
I dont think he can keep up the pace offensively. At first I thought he would be a Powe type player, mostly a PKer and a grinder. The more I watch him the more I cant help but start comparing him to Brad Marchant. They both have that awareness in the offensive zone that makes them tough to defend against. Hes definitely here for the long haul, now the question is, what is the ceiling in his offensive game? I think at this point we can start to expect 40+ points from Read, especially if he continues to get time in the first PP unit.

Old
10-19-2011, 10:37 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Obviously injuries and illness will happen eventually - however Read is not one of the more likely guys to sit just yet (given his 6 points and strong play)

Both Nodl and Rinaldo are playing well but will be our top candidates to sit first. No idea what the coaches will do with Shelley after his suspension though. Harry Z has looked great and then there's that Schenn kid...
It's not about "who sits" but who plays 4th line. Yes, one of Rinaldo or Nodl will sit, but then someone has to play 4th line. Is it Schenn, who you just called up? Or is it someone from the 3rd line (Couturier, Read, and Hartnell)?

That's what Shafer was saying. Chances are, Read is the guy that gets bumped to the 4th line when the time comes.

Old
10-20-2011, 03:44 AM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectrum View Post
I dont think he can keep up the pace offensively. At first I thought he would be a Powe type player, mostly a PKer and a grinder. The more I watch him the more I cant help but start comparing him to Brad Marchant. They both have that awareness in the offensive zone that makes them tough to defend against. Hes definitely here for the long haul, now the question is, what is the ceiling in his offensive game? I think at this point we can start to expect 40+ points from Read, especially if he continues to get time in the first PP unit.
Well unfortunatly someone else signed him before I got a chance too.

He doesn't have to keep this pace up to be valuable. He could drop to half of what he has been doing and still be affective.

I don't think that Schenn being called up will help his case though.

Old
10-20-2011, 10:13 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He's a college kid so he's going to eventually hit a dry spell. That considered he's going to be far more valuable in the first half of the season than the second half.

I'd also side it'd be pretty hard to remove him from the lineup now. Should Schenn come up and prove his worth though, it is Read who gets kicked out of the top 9.

I'd say anywhere from 30-45 points is a reasonable outcome for Read with 35-40 being the more likely result points wise. Should he stay in the top 9 all season.
He's overachieved offensively to this point, but he's an older kid, he's filled out his frame, and has awareness on both sides of the puck. He won't hit a cliff the way guys pulled straight out of their freshman/sophomore years in college do, or take an extra year to develop the way very undersized guys do. Stamina throughout the season will not likely be an issue for Read, increase in number of games be damned.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:39 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
any time a college player steps right into the NHL a year after college there should be concerns about him hitting the wall at the 40-50 game mark. The guy has played very well so far. I want to see where he is in late January.
Not sure what kind of offseason conditioning he had tho. We only seemed to hear about JVR and Schenn and their offseason workout routines

Old
10-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

The fact that he's more developed physically means I expect him to hit the wall at 40ish games instead of 30ish.

10-20-2011, 11:48 AM
thelos
Bunk

He can always just slide down to the 4th line if he starts to hit a wall, with Couturier or Talbot or Nodl coming up for awhile

Old
10-20-2011, 11:51 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

And thats fine if he hits a wall. As long as he produces in those 40 or whatever games.

Now I think the problem everyone is going to see is when ALL our rookies hit the wall, including Couturier and Schenn. This isnt just a problem with Read but with the other two as well.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Yeah, that's what I'm dreading.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:23 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
And thats fine if he hits a wall. As long as he produces in those 40 or whatever games.

Now I think the problem everyone is going to see is when ALL our rookies hit the wall, including Couturier and Schenn. This isnt just a problem with Read but with the other two as well.
There is always that potential with any rookie, and I think Couturier and Read both will eventually slow down, but I can see Schenn staying consistent throughout. Not necessarily ripping it up and winning the Calder, but I think with Schenn you have a guy that is already "there," so to speak. The general consensus about this kid is that he is the most NHL ready player of any player not in the NHL. That doesn't mean that he isn't going to struggle at times or even throughout, but I think with Schenn, if he stays healthy, he should be able to consistently contribute. Couturier and Read, however, I could easily see slowing down when it gets into December-January. I don't think that is a knock on those two at all, it's just part of being a young guy in the NHL. It's not a guarantee, but I think we'll see Read and Couturier level off at some point during the season. Schenn I am confident will be consistent though.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:34 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
There is always that potential with any rookie, and I think Couturier and Read both will eventually slow down, but I can see Schenn staying consistent throughout. Not necessarily ripping it up and winning the Calder, but I think with Schenn you have a guy that is already "there," so to speak. The general consensus about this kid is that he is the most NHL ready player of any player not in the NHL. That doesn't mean that he isn't going to struggle at times or even throughout, but I think with Schenn, if he stays healthy, he should be able to consistently contribute. Couturier and Read, however, I could easily see slowing down when it gets into December-January. I don't think that is a knock on those two at all, it's just part of being a young guy in the NHL. It's not a guarantee, but I think we'll see Read and Couturier level off at some point during the season. Schenn I am confident will be consistent though.
Eh, we will agree to disagree. Just because he is most ready doesnt mean he wont slow down. Other than a few games, he hasnt felt the roughness and vigors of the NHL. That can be taxing, but more so on a 20 yr old than a 25 yr old. If there is any of them that might not hit it as hard, might be Read because of his age and the amount of hockey he has played. Ya he hasnt played the 82 games in a season, but he has alot more games under his belt than Couturier and Schenn.

That being said, I think they all will, but that is what happens when you have 3 rookies on a team. Im not really dreading it. Just because they hit a wall doesnt mean they are going to be ****** players. They might not put up points, but they will still be on the pk and providing other positives to the game. The "wall" per say is abut the overall play but is ussually focused more on the offensive portions of play.

But this is why we have 9 other vets on the team. And this is also why starting off strong is important. It isnt like we are going to be winning 35+ games (well hopefully we will haha) in the 40 first games and then lose 42 straight just because of 3 rookies.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:45 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, we will agree to disagree. Just because he is most ready doesnt mean he wont slow down. Other than a few games, he hasnt felt the roughness and vigors of the NHL. That can be taxing, but more so on a 20 yr old than a 25 yr old. If there is any of them that might not hit it as hard, might be Read because of his age and the amount of hockey he has played. Ya he hasnt played the 82 games in a season, but he has alot more games under his belt than Couturier and Schenn.

That being said, I think they all will, but that is what happens when you have 3 rookies on a team. Im not really dreading it. Just because they hit a wall doesnt mean they are going to be ****** players. They might not put up points, but they will still be on the pk and providing other positives to the game. The "wall" per say is abut the overall play but is ussually focused more on the offensive portions of play.

But this is why we have 9 other vets on the team. And this is also why starting off strong is important. It isnt like we are going to be winning 35+ games (well hopefully we will haha) in the 40 first games and then lose 42 straight just because of 3 rookies.
I agree with all of that and I'm not saying Schenn won't slow down, I just think of the three he will be the most consistent. Couturier I think will slow down and hit the wall because of his physicality and age. Read I think will slow down just because he doesn't have the pedigree that Couturier and Schenn have. I know what doesn't really mean anything and I'm sure I will get flamed for saying that and maybe it's just me having a preconceived notion about the guy, but it's just rare for a guy to come out of college undrafted at 25 and continue at the pace he is on right now. It is certainly not impossible and I'm sure it has happened before (and does happen from time to time with later round picks), I guess I am just one of those guys who will always doubt him until he shows otherwise. Nothing against him and I hope I am way off, but it's how I felt about Vance Worley during the Phillies season too. When dude's come out of nowhere and play well, you expect them to slow down.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:58 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I agree with all of that and I'm not saying Schenn won't slow down, I just think of the three he will be the most consistent. Couturier I think will slow down and hit the wall because of his physicality and age. Read I think will slow down just because he doesn't have the pedigree that Couturier and Schenn have. I know what doesn't really mean anything and I'm sure I will get flamed for saying that and maybe it's just me having a preconceived notion about the guy, but it's just rare for a guy to come out of college undrafted at 25 and continue at the pace he is on right now. It is certainly not impossible and I'm sure it has happened before (and does happen from time to time with later round picks), I guess I am just one of those guys who will always doubt him until he shows otherwise. Nothing against him and I hope I am way off, but it's how I felt about Vance Worley during the Phillies season too. When dude's come out of nowhere and play well, you expect them to slow down.
Im a HUGE underdog fan. Huge. One of the main reasons I'm a Claude Giroux fan (going into the QMJHL not drafted and on a tryout). I just like watching players who no one knows about come in and do well. Just my opinion but I have alot of respect for players that dont give up. Alot of players who dont get drafted quit right away. Matt Read, turned 25, and now is finally in the NHL. I cant help but root for him.

Closed Thread