HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts on Wolski

Old
10-20-2011, 11:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
A coach can crush any willingness to play for a team when he mocks his injury to the media. How would you feel if before you play one freaking game because of an injury your coach was talking ***** about you to the newspapers?
The knock on Wolskii has always been effort and willingness. He's been traded twice because of lack of those two things. The guy has a lot to prove. And that's the case whether the coach says anything in the paper or not. Maybe Torts is trying to light a flame under him. The opposite hasn't worked.

10-20-2011, 11:57 AM
beef 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The knock on Wolskii has always been effort and willingness. He's been traded twice because of lack of those two things. The guy has a lot to prove. And that's the case whether the coach says anything in the paper or not. Maybe Torts is trying to light a flame under him. The opposite hasn't worked.
Im not disagreeing. My initial point, however, is that it seems as though Torts has already made up his mind. His comments only illustrate this.

He has dug WW a hole (although WW has certainly helped to dig it) and it would take a miracle for WW to earn a spot on this team beyond this season.

edit - if he does earn a spot, I am not inclined to credit torts!

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Im not disagreeing. My initial point, however, is that it seems as though Torts has already made up his mind. His comments only illustrate this.

He has dug WW a hole (although WW has certainly helped to dig it) and it would take a miracle for WW to earn a spot on this team beyond this season.
I think calling him out is a last ditch attempt to get some life out of him. WW has dug himself in the hole. It's his job to get out. And I think there pretty much no chance he had a spot with this team past this season (short of a 70+ point season). The question is whether or not he has a place with this team this season.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
I think a guy can help a willing player maximize their potential or get the the most from their talent. But it's on the player to want it. A coach can't give a player a heart that's not there.
Wolski has shown the desire to improve and try to play our system. The guy has been hurt since camp. Drury wasn't asked to get out of the tub last year and he was making 7 mil and was captain. How about Fedotenko? How about if Richards groin gets tweeked? Doubt we hear it.

This coach needs to learn how to JAM his mouth shut, stop using the word jam 3 time he is asked a question and maybe back some of his guys. Thats just my opinion.
Lets not forget his classy comment about Newbury being fat last year either and how he douched Avery out the door. He is starting to leave a bas taste in my mouth with these needless stupid comments. Can you keep your mouth shut for ten games Torts? Why do you like so much attention?

I respect how Brooks is the only reporter who doesn't start to shake at the knees when asking Torts a question. He treats people, from his players to reporters like total trash. It's funny that Torts and Avery don't get along because he is the Avery of coaches.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Wolski has shown the desire to improve and try to play our system.
I haven't seen any indication of that.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Am i the only one who think when Torts said "I guess so" he was either trying to retain information, or Brookise was pissing him off again?

I never read it as a shot at W2

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:09 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
terrible analogy,

simply buying someone out is not as easy and practical as you think it is.
Buying someone out during the buyout window isn't all that difficult and given WW's contract it would have been small dollars buying him out...yet Torts decided to give the kid a chance and commit almost 4 million dollars in cap space to this last seasons Enver Lisin.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:10 PM
beef 4 lunch

Quote:
Wolski has shown the desire to improve and try to play our system. The guy has been hurt since camp. Drury wasn't asked to get out of the tub last year and he was making 7 mil and was captain. How about Fedotenko? How about if Richards groin gets tweeked? Doubt we hear it.

This coach needs to learn how to JAM his mouth shut, stop using the word jam 3 time he is asked a question and maybe back some of his guys. Thats just my opinion.
Lets not forget his classy comment about Newbury being fat last year either and how he douched Avery out the door. He is starting to leave a bas taste in my mouth with these needless stupid comments. Can you keep your mouth shut for ten games Torts? Why do you like so much attention?

I respect how Brooks is the only reporter who doesn't start to shake at the knees when asking Torts a question. He treats people, from his players to reporters like total trash. It's funny that Torts and Avery don't get along because he is the Avery of coaches.
I tend to agree.

As I said earlier, I'm a fan of the guy, but he is starting to rub me the wrong way. Seems more and more like an attention ***** making comments the way he does. I wouldn't call his most recent comments "lighting a fire" under WW. I would call them damaging to the team and the player.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:13 PM
beef 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Buying someone out during the buyout window isn't all that difficult and given WW's contract it would have been small dollars buying him out...yet Torts decided to give the kid a chance and commit almost 4 million dollars in cap space to this last seasons Enver Lisin.
buying out a player that you just traded you most experienced defender for after less than a half season is either a ridiculously poor trade or ridiculously poor asset management. your call.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:

edit - if he does earn a spot, I am not inclined to credit torts!
You're right, but probably because Wolski simply isn't in the long term plans for the team. There are prospects with a higher upside behind him that you would expect to be on the team next year instead. Heck, I was shocked he was back THIS year.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
buying out a player that you just traded you most experienced defender for after less than a half season is either a ridiculously poor trade or ridiculously poor asset management. your call.
I agree, if they were to dump Wolski, it would be terrible asset management. Just give him time to heal and see what he can do when he gets back

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:17 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Well it is Sather..so your saying we should hold onto him just so we don't "lose" the trade? That's how people lose on stocks.

Realistically WW will not be here next season, if he has a breakout season he is going to want a contract in excess of the 3.8/yr he already has

Old
10-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I disagree. Having the luxury to buy him out at ~10% of his cap hit was something you couldn't do with Rozsival. If the team needed that cap space to sign Richards on July 1, it gave them flexibity to gain it in mid June.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Radek27

Quote:
I haven't seen any indication of that.
I guess you missed all the articles on his extra time put in on skating and the weight room. He stepped up his offseason workout and took what the coaches said during exit interviews seriously. This is what I have been reading so if you got some different into Signin hit us with it.

If not this sounds like a guy trying to improve and do what is asked of him if you ask me.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:27 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Why mention his cap hit? Or Tort's cryptic "I guess so"?
Seems very suspect to me, like it's more than just a groin issue. He skated yesterday.

Either that or Brooks is trying to throw a jab at the rangers for keeping Wolski over Avery in the lineup.
Brooks lives to take jabs at Torts. It is his greatest pleasure in life to redden that man's face.

He is basically trolling you guys, and reading through this thread, it seems to have worked to some degree.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I guess you missed all the articles on his extra time put in on skating and the weight room. He stepped up his offseason workout and took what the coaches said during exit interviews serious. This is what I have been reading so if you got some different into Signin hit us with it.

If not this sounds like a guy trying to improve and do what is asked of him if you ask me.
Working out and working on skating don't indicate a willingness to play hard. They show a willingness to work out and work on your skating. There's a compete level in this guy that is sorely lacking. And that comes from heart and desire.

I can't comment on what he does off the ice. On the ice I see a guy who still floats, doesn't want to get his hands dirty and still lacks some hockey IQ.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
Brooks lives to take jabs at Torts. It is his greatest pleasure in life to redden that man's face.

He is basically trolling you guys, and reading through this thread, it seems to have worked to some degree.
If 1/2 of the NY reporters had the balls Brooksie has to stand up to that guy the world would be a beter place. It's morons who just follow and make fun that support that kind of treatment of a long time professional like Brooks for doing his job and asking questions.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post

Aside from the "I guess so" the same quotes were in the NYDN beat writers column...so you can bash Brooks all you want but the DN writer had it as well.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Working out and working on skating don't indicate a willingness to play hard. They show a willingness to work out and work on your skating. There's a compete level in this guy that is sorely lacking. And that comes from heart and desire.

I can't comment on what he does off the ice. On the ice I see a guy who still floats, doesn't want to get his hands dirty and still lacks some hockey IQ.
Your basing this on one game he played with a sore groin or you still going by his very limited performance last season? Wolski has played a total of 38 games in a NYR uniform, thats less than half a Hockey season playing with limited players with limited icetime. What a great chance we gave this guy before throwing him to the hounds!

Last edited by Radek27: 10-20-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old
10-20-2011, 12:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Your basing this one one game he played with a sore groin or you still going by his very limited performance last season? Wolski has played a total of 38 games in a NYR uniform, thats less than half a Hockey season playing with limited players with limited icetime. What a great chance we gave this guy before throwing him to the hounds!
I'm basing it off of what I've seen from him in his tenure as a Ranger.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:42 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Your basing this one one game he played with a sore groin or you still going by his very limited performance last season? Wolski has played a total of 38 games in a NYR uniform, thats less than half a Hockey season playing with limited players with limited icetime. What a great chance we gave this guy before throwing him to the hounds!
He wasn't some mid-season call up from Hartford, the guy played an entire season with 2 teams last year.

The guy is a project he could turn into Boyle and finally "get it" or he could become another in a long line of highly skilled players who never got it.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
He wasn't some mid-season call up from Hartford, the guy played an entire season with 2 teams last year.

The guy is a project he could turn into Boyle and finally "get it" or he could become another in a long line of highly skilled players who never got it.
Boyle always played hard. He didn't have the physical ability to keep up at the NHL level. He improved his skating dramatically. Barb Underhill didn't give him hear. He had that already.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:49 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
If 1/2 of the NY reporters had the balls Brooksie has to stand up to that guy the world would be a beter place. It's morons who just follow and make fun that support that kind of treatment of a long time professional like Brooks for doing his job and asking questions.
I enjoy Brooks with a grain of salt. Reporters are supposed to stir the pot, especially at his rag, and not just parrot back press releases. And Brooks knows his stuff -- he is especially perceptive when it comes to stuff like collective bargaining.

But he hates Torts. And goes way out of his way to get his goat.

So I imagine how one feels about this would parallel how one feels about Torts.

If you like Torts, you would be driven crazy, as well.

If you hate Torts, then Brooks is your guy.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Radek27

Quote:
I'm basing it off of what I've seen from him in his tenure as a Ranger.
Thats where we differ, I judge him on his whole career which I have to say has been nice for such a young player so far. Not the tiny sample of 38 games.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Thats where we differ, I judge him on his whole career which I have to say has been nice for such a young player so far. Not the tiny sample of 38 games.
You mean the career where he's been dealt twice presumably because of his play? Not a good sign for such a young player.