HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts on Wolski

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2011, 01:05 PM
  #126
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You mean the career where he's been dealt twice presumably because of his play? Not a good sign for such a young player.
Bold=keywork

I have yet to see one article where his coaches have dogged him except for this latest Torts/hot tub thing. I can't see how the Avs would have bad things to say about him. Maloney is very honest regarding players:


"I really like (Roszival)," Maloney said. "I know Ranger fans were on him last year. New York is like that. I know, when things aren't going well, they latch on to someone. He's a quiet guy, a real pro. He can move the puck, help on the power play and play top four minutes."

"The chemistry wasn't happening this year," Maloney said of Wolski. "He was on the outside looking in. ... It's funny how it works because last year he had a real nice run with us and he was going to be a long-term keeper."

"At the end of the day, Wojtek was dying on the vine with us," Maloney said.

All quotes taken from this article:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...es-trade_N.htm

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:08 PM
  #127
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,799
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Bold=keywork

I have yet to see one article where his coaches have dogged him except for this latest Torts/hot tub thing. I can't see how the Avs would have bad things to say about him. Maloney is very honest regarding players:


"I really like (Roszival)," Maloney said. "I know Ranger fans were on him last year. New York is like that. I know, when things aren't going well, they latch on to someone. He's a quiet guy, a real pro. He can move the puck, help on the power play and play top four minutes."

"The chemistry wasn't happening this year," Maloney said of Wolski. "He was on the outside looking in. ... It's funny how it works because last year he had a real nice run with us and he was going to be a long-term keeper."

"At the end of the day, Wojtek was dying on the vine with us," Maloney said.

All quotes taken from this article:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...es-trade_N.htm
No idea what I'm supposed to take away from this post. Other than the fact the Rangers would be better off currently with Rozsival than Wolskii.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:13 PM
  #128
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,618
vCash: 500
I mentioned it in another thread, but the Wolski for Rozy swap was not a good trade, other than the cap space we gained.

While buying out Wolski over the summer may have been bad asset management, having him play here as a 4th liner or healthy scratch is terrible cap management. His $3.8 million could have gone towards a top 6 winger or another defenseman in the event that Staal is out long-term.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:15 PM
  #129
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You mean the career where he's been dealt twice presumably because of his play? Not a good sign for such a young player.
I don't disagree with your premise, but let's not act like Wolski has this reputation but not acknowledge his production. The guy has put up legit numbers, albeit with strings attached.

Shouldn't a coach as good as Torts be able to at least get similar production out of him?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:58 PM
  #130
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
I don't disagree with your premise, but let's not act like Wolski has this reputation but not acknowledge his production. The guy has put up legit numbers, albeit with strings attached.

Shouldn't a coach as good as Torts be able to at least get similar production out of him?
Similar production to what, a season that was an aberration to Wolski's average production? He typically puts up anywhere from 40-50 points.... Last season he had 19 points through 37 games. Extrapolated to an 82 game season, that would have equated to 42 points, in which he was predominantly playing a 3rd line role with a rookie centering his line. Seems on par with his normal production to me, especially relative to his ice time/role.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:13 PM
  #131
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
@NYDNRangers
Pat Leonard
Wojtek Wolski (groin) says he hopes to be ready to play in Edmonton Saturday as long as there are no setbacks in practice on Friday #NYR

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:17 PM
  #132
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
I don't disagree with your premise, but let's not act like Wolski has this reputation but not acknowledge his production. The guy has put up legit numbers, albeit with strings attached.

Shouldn't a coach as good as Torts be able to at least get similar production out of him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Similar production to what, a season that was an aberration to Wolski's average production? He typically puts up anywhere from 40-50 points.... Last season he had 19 points through 37 games. Extrapolated to an 82 game season, that would have equated to 42 points, in which he was predominantly playing a 3rd line role with a rookie centering his line. Seems on par with his normal production to me, especially relative to his ice time/role.
Wait I thought you established in the Avery discussion that averages don't matter?

My point throughout this whole discussion is that Wolski serves no purpose on this team if he's on the fourth line. And that is becoming apparently clear that's where he's headed.

Like Over The Cap said it is just horrible management if it plays out that way.

I understand Wolski has been hurt and that's why I've said that we'll see what happens and how it plays out when he's back.

What's your opinion on what he's going to do? Cause I don't see him breaking up Dubi-Arty-Cally, or Feds-Boyle-Prust. If that's the case then there's only one slot, and that's next to Richie and Gabby for him to play, or he ends up on the fourth line.

There's too many people on here who will watch Torts put him on the fourth line, get 8 minutes a night, and then say it's Wolski who hasn't done anything to deserve more minutes. You can't put players in positions to fail and then be surprised when they fail.

There is only ONE spot for Wolski when he returns based on that contract, unless Torts changes up his lines and breaks up two that he really likes.

And based on the fact that Torts seemed to give up on Wolski after one preseason game I'm not convinced he's going to get him a legitimate chance there.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:48 PM
  #133
Fleury4ever
Registered User
 
Fleury4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
YEAH TORTS IS A CLOWN FOR NOT HAVING FAITH IN THE GUY WHO ****ING BLEW LAST YEAR!!!

****ing torts, not playing scrubs.

Let's see W2 do something before we defend him. So far he hasn't done ANYTHING here.

The guy hasn't even played a regular season game yet because he's injured and of course the Anti-Torts brigade is out in full force. Pathetic.
I don't have a major problem with Tortorella, but this is not a smart approach.

If you want to get rid of the guy, publicly crapping on him is not exactly going to help his trade value.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:53 PM
  #134
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Wait I thought you established in the Avery discussion that averages don't matter?
Care to quote where I said that or would you like to continue to put words in peoples' mouths? Seems to be a reoccurring theme.

I illustrated above that Wolski's point production last season was on par with what he's done over his career minus one season that was an exception.... How is that indicative of him being mismanaged by Tortorella??? When did the 1st line LW spot become Wolski's spot to lose? To me it would be his spot to earn.... Some fans want to imagine that all that matters is in game performance in terms of evaluating the players because that's all they get to see with their own eyes, but our coaching staff is constantly evaluating our players during practices and scrimmages and assessing their play, and that plays a huge factor in the line combinations and special teams units that you see out on the ice, as it does with every organization.

Quote:
My point throughout this whole discussion is that Wolski serves no purpose on this team if he's on the fourth line. And that is becoming apparently clear that's where he's headed.

Like Over The Cap said it is just horrible management if it plays out that way.

I understand Wolski has been hurt and that's why I've said that we'll see what happens and how it plays out when he's back.

What's your opinion on what he's going to do? Cause I don't see him breaking up Dubi-Arty-Cally, or Feds-Boyle-Prust. If that's the case then there's only one slot, and that's next to Richie and Gabby for him to play, or he ends up on the fourth line.

There's too many people on here who will watch Torts put him on the fourth line, get 8 minutes a night, and then say it's Wolski who hasn't done anything to deserve more minutes. You can't put players in positions to fail and then be surprised when they fail.

There is only ONE spot for Wolski when he returns based on that contract, unless Torts changes up his lines and breaks up two that he really likes.

And based on the fact that Torts seemed to give up on Wolski after one preseason game I'm not convinced he's going to get him a legitimate chance there.
Oh well! That's what you call T.S. - tough stuff! When players are injured they are prone to losing their positions in the line-up when other players fill in and start contributing.... Is it necessarily fair? Doesn't really matter because it's part of the business.... Look at how McDonagh came up and earned a permanent roster spot on the 2nd pairing for himself and made Rozsival expendable & trade fodder while he was out of the line-up with an injury..... Zuccarello finds himself in CT now not because of poor play but because of a numbers game in which he gets bounced to the 4th line on the depth chart and it makes no sense to carry him in that role so he goes down to the AHL to get playing time rather than sit on the bench for 54 minutes a game... When Wolski is healthy again that gives us the option of bringing MZA back up and having a 3rd line of Wolski - Stepan - MZA again if need be... That's going to be contingent on how the other lines are producing.


Last edited by wolfgaze: 10-20-2011 at 03:15 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 06:17 PM
  #135
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Andrew Gross has an interesting take about Torts comments about WW...evidently he has used the tub line before:

Tortorella groused to the media when asked about Wolski that the team could not “get him out of the tub,” which is a real shot at Wolski and akin to what Tortorella once said about goalie Sean Burke when he coached the Lightning. Tortorella, on Nov. 11, 2005, was furious with the poor play of John Grahame, then added about Burke, who was out with a groin issue, “And we can’t get the other guy out of the tub to play. We’re not sure what that injury is about.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:25 PM
  #136
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
No idea what I'm supposed to take away from this post. Other than the fact the Rangers would be better off currently with Rozsival than Wolskii.
Sorry I was on my way out doing that post and I rushed. I was just trying to prove that Wolski while being dealt wasn't considered a "lazy" player like your stating why he got dealt.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.