HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Comeau what's the deal?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2011, 09:55 AM
  #26
Veteran journeyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
I know of no evidence to support the theory that he thinks he is entitled. If you have some proof, please provide it.
I also do not remember him being benched while a member of the regular roster. He was sent down quite a few years ago by Nolan, but remember, he is still only 25, so he was probably 22 when he came up and down, which is not unusual for a young player on a veteran laden roster like we had in '07-08.

He was either scratched or sent down by Gordon as well during his first year as coach to start the season. When he was called up and started playing well, Gordon said something about that not being anything close to the player he saw in training camp. Probably not exactly evidence, but a sign that it's not the first time Comeau has looked flat coming out of camp. I'm a fan of Comeau, and think he and Bailey can be very dangerous on a third line if they can get it together...teams will have to pay attention to the top two lines, and that should leave plenty of opportunities for those two to take advantage of spare-part forwards and bottom-pair defensemen. But both of them have to start by playing well even if they're not scoring goals. Never mind points, the line so far has generated virtually no sustained pressure in the offensive zone to speak of.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:19 AM
  #27
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
REading all these comments the one common theme is someone is going to go. Whether it is by trade, bench, or being sent down. The problem is the Isles have so many bubble players who knows who should go. People outside of the forums have said the Isles are weak in veteran presence. Do we get rid or bench Rolston or Pandolfo? We on the forums agree we are stacked with upcoming young talent. Do we move a prospect, or trade guys like Comeau or Bailey? Lots of decisions to be made and I think the biggest asset the Isles have right now is GARTH SNOW. He's going to make the right decision and I don't know about the rest of you but this next move may be pivotal in whether or not the Isles can contend for a Stanley Cup in 2013-14 or so. This could be the one that ends up putting them over the edge. Fun time to be an Isles fan!!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:27 PM
  #28
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
I'm not rumor mongering, but I have a feeling the Islanders are going after Turris.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:53 PM
  #29
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
He was either scratched or sent down by Gordon as well during his first year as coach to start the season. When he was called up and started playing well, Gordon said something about that not being anything close to the player he saw in training camp. Probably not exactly evidence, but a sign that it's not the first time Comeau has looked flat coming out of camp. I'm a fan of Comeau, and think he and Bailey can be very dangerous on a third line if they can get it together...teams will have to pay attention to the top two lines, and that should leave plenty of opportunities for those two to take advantage of spare-part forwards and bottom-pair defensemen. But both of them have to start by playing well even if they're not scoring goals. Never mind points, the line so far has generated virtually no sustained pressure in the offensive zone to speak of.
I will agree with you that the line of Bailey/Comeau has provided no sustained offensive pressure in the 3 games they were together, and that Comeau has been disappointing in this respect. I do not expect offensive output from Bailey at this point, there is no history of it. But Comeau has steadily progressed each year, and is coming off his best season, and quite a good one at that. I had expectations that he would have picked up where he left off after signing for a very nice salary increase.
Well he hasn't through 3 games. Cappy is being very tight fisted with information, says it's between him and the player, and Comeau says that he was not told why he was scratched, which I do not believe.

Something is going on here, possibly a trade but it is so early in the season it doesn't seem like there is a trade market yet. Comeau skated in practice with Bailey Monday as usual, so..............????

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:53 AM
  #30
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
I'm not rumor mongering, but I have a feeling the Islanders are going after Turris.
Ohhhhh man, you are soooooooo rumor mongering.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:55 AM
  #31
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,236
vCash: 500
Comeau, and Bailey, will come around. If either or both is simply streaky in all things 'offense', then they'll still get their points.

I for one have liked Bailey's play the last few games. He and Comeau will click at some point again...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:18 PM
  #32
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
I will agree with you that the line of Bailey/Comeau has provided no sustained offensive pressure in the 3 games they were together, and that Comeau has been disappointing in this respect. I do not expect offensive output from Bailey at this point, there is no history of it. But Comeau has steadily progressed each year, and is coming off his best season, and quite a good one at that. I had expectations that he would have picked up where he left off after signing for a very nice salary increase.
Well he hasn't through 3 games. Cappy is being very tight fisted with information, says it's between him and the player, and Comeau says that he was not told why he was scratched, which I do not believe.

Something is going on here, possibly a trade but it is so early in the season it doesn't seem like there is a trade market yet. Comeau skated in practice with Bailey Monday as usual, so..............????
So it was Gillies in/slumping player at the start of the season out.

Nothing more.

You don't give up on a 24 goal scoring Left winger by game 4 unless you're Mike Milbury or Don Maloney. 2/3 of the team hasn't woken up or is barely awake yet. Bailey is still his center and Rolston hasn't been Kip Miller for those two.

If by game 10 he has two goals and three or four assists to end his slump (and hopefully all of line 2 and 3 will have by then), he's forgiven? Not traded for Bauer's overpaid malcontent who hath done nothing?

It's Game FIVE tomorrow. Let's enjoy it before ordering another rebuild by Game Seven.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:20 PM
  #33
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Comeau, and Bailey, will come around. If either or both is simply streaky in all things 'offense', then they'll still get their points.

I for one have liked Bailey's play the last few games. He and Comeau will click at some point again...
Those two are best together, and those two are solid three zone players just not getting it done YET in the offensive zone.

I look forward to them getting in stride so they can use Rolston's shot on the slot. Comeau can circle and hold onto it until he has the one timer set up, and Bailey has the middle up front. It's not rocket science but all three should work together very well IMHO.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:49 AM
  #34
IwayMike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
According to this tweet:
ESPN_NHL ESPN NHL coverage
RT @NYIslanders: Capuano says that Montoya will start tonight in Tampa. Gillies in the lineup, Comeau is not. #Isles

Anyone know what the deal is? Could a trade for Comeau be in the works?

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:57 AM
  #35
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,348
vCash: 500
Looks like Comeau is in Cap's dog house. Sitting him against the Rangers was a head scratcher, now another game? Very odd.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:17 PM
  #36
Words Of Wisdom
Registered User
 
Words Of Wisdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Something about this whole situation seems a little odd. I Think comeau could be on his way out, Whih i wouldnt mind because Nino can take his spot, And Nino has alot more potential and he is way more skilled. What could a package of Comeau , Nabokov, And a 2nd round pick get us?

Words Of Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:19 PM
  #37
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Do you guys like Mark Fayne? Young top-4 defenseman for us. Very cerebral.

Maybe a Comeau for Fayne + pick?


Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:19 PM
  #38
Noreaster96
Registered User
 
Noreaster96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
I find it hard to believe they'll be shipping him out after sitting him for two games in favor of Trevor Gillies... that cant possibly help his value...

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:21 PM
  #39
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Big Brock
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Volchenkov View Post
Do you guys like Mark Fayne? Young top-4 defenseman for us. Very cerebral.

Maybe a Comeau for Fayne + pick?
I'd rather not trade Comeau within the division. Is Fayne really a top-4 defenseman? He'd have to play alongside Streit who on occasion logs in 30 minutes a game.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:28 PM
  #40
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwayMike View Post
According to this tweet:
ESPN_NHL ESPN NHL coverage
RT @NYIslanders: Capuano says that Montoya will start tonight in Tampa. Gillies in the lineup, Comeau is not. #Isles

Anyone know what the deal is? Could a trade for Comeau be in the works?
I think a trade has NOTHING to do with this. I suspect it's just a coach disappointed with a player's effort, how Capuano is dealing with it. Nothing more.

I also don't think we have to rush to get rid of someone who's a healthy scratch. This happens. Cody Franson was a healthy scratch this year after being a 20+ min dman on Nashville last year.

And it's not the best time to deal a player when he can't crack a lineup that boasts Pandolfo, Rolston, Gillies, Reasoner: chance are, you will NOT be getting a top four defenseman in return.

sell low and buy high? not ideal

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:38 PM
  #41
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I'd rather not trade Comeau within the division. Is Fayne really a top-4 defenseman? He'd have to play alongside Streit who on occasion logs in 30 minutes a game.
Yeah, stepped in last season straight out of College and was our best defenseman. 4 goals and 10 assists in around 60 games. He can handle 25 minutes.

Larsson is playing 25 minutes nightly. If Comeau is only good on LW then it's a moot point. We need a natural RW.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:56 PM
  #42
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Volchenkov View Post
Yeah, stepped in last season straight out of College and was our best defenseman. 4 goals and 10 assists in around 60 games. He can handle 25 minutes.

Larsson is playing 25 minutes nightly. If Comeau is only good on LW then it's a moot point. We need a natural RW.
Comeau's the SAME on either wing. It's in his HEAD if he thinks that even makes a difference. Comeau's issue is that he doesn't know what kind of player he is...he's been like that for years.

He carries the puck, stickhandles aimlessly far too much, goes around in circles like Jason Blake.

He sometimes gets lazy on the ice, doesn't finish checks like he should and CAN (given his size, speed). He sometimes doesn't forecheck hard like he can.

Inconsistent effort and poor decisions drive coaches CRAZY.

He is a very good skater, had good size and strength, very good shot, he does a lot of things well. If he puts it together, he can be a very useful player, even a top line player ala Kunitz.

His wing position doesn't matter. He thinks it matters because he still sees his game as the guy who carries the puck on his off-wing, goes around the defenseman and makes a play or a 1timer....but that's not reality. Goals aren't scored that way in the NHL. They are scored by winning puck battles against angry defenders, creating time and space for yourself, getting the puck to the net and fighting for rebounds. That's the game Comeau needs to play. In THAT ROLE, he'd be a very effective player.

Those "EASY" goals that Tavares scores, those TAP-INS, the cheap/ugly goals that Moulson gets. Well, Comeau NEVER gets those because he's too busy skating around like Elvis Stojko.

He's a frustrating player at times because he has so much physical talent but he plays a game that he probably WANTS to play, not the one he SHOULD play. If he just watched Ryan Smyth and did what he does, he'd be a real gem.

I like Comeau a great deal as a player but he doesn't seem to be able to change the way he plays. The 24 goals is a statistic that you might fall in love with but sometimes the stats don't tell the whole story. Even Jason Blake scored 40 goals one year.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:13 PM
  #43
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,348
vCash: 500
Comeau's 2nd consecutive healthy scratch is a result of him not giving the effort that the rest of the team is giving. It's clear that the expectations for the team are much higher and he just is not giving the same effort.

The poster who mentioned that lazy play will no longer be tolerated on this team may have a good point. Blake is the only guy that I can think of that hasn't been giving his all this early in the season.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:35 PM
  #44
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 9,994
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Blakes been on a short leash since training camp. He saw the most exhibition games, which I think the staff used to guage his intensity and committment. He never really turned the corner (in that regard) during exhibition and has failed to do so the first few games into the season. The staff is giving him a reality check, at least that's how I read this. He's having "private conversations" with Doug Weight, who seems to have a good feel for the players. They may even be testing him to see how he responds. Intensity and hockey sense has always held Blake back.

As unlikely and unrealistic as it is to expect all 3 lines to be clicking at the same time, once they start firing on most cylinders, this team will be offensively dangerous; not to mention pretty dangerous in their own zone.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:27 PM
  #45
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,814
vCash: 234
Katie Strang posted on twitter:

Quote:
With Comeau's production last season -- a career- high 24 goals, 22 assists -- have to imagine a number of teams would be interested in him
I don't think a trade is in play as of now.. but you gotta believe Comeau is definitely available.

Botta:

Quote:
In the land of a few favorite sons, Blake Comeau has never been one with #Isles. Trouble is, now team is publicly devaluing him.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:29 PM
  #46
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,268
vCash: 500
I like Blake Comeau, don't get me wrong he's a good player but this is a classic example of a player having all the tools but no toolbox.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:32 PM
  #47
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,814
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I like Blake Comeau, don't get me wrong he's a good player but this is a classic example of a player having all the tools but no toolbox.
He's kind of like Pelfrey or Pagan on the Mets.. You see him at times showing signs he could be pretty damn good than something happens and your like wait wtf was that man?!

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:55 PM
  #48
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Shut up Botta, it appears Comeau is on the block.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:04 PM
  #49
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,162
vCash: 500
Capuano/Snow must be VERY VERY VERY upset with Comeau's play/effort, because you don't sit a 20+ goal scorer for a guy who is simply not a hockey player (Gillies), while at the same time ruining his trade value by sitting him.

Short of Comeau having a rebirth as an NHL player, I think you're watching the death of him as an Islander one way or another.

It will also be VERY interesting to see what happens when Nino comes back because now it seems there's a spot open on the 3rd line which is where Nino should be starting out as an NHL player. Despite some concern over being too young, I'd really like to see a Martin/Bailey/Nino 3rd line.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:37 PM
  #50
teknics
Registered User
 
teknics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: @islesblogger
Country: United States
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
I've said it a few times on Twitter and in the latest post on my blog today - it's all about effort.

Capuano has said repeatedly, following the loss to the Panthers and the win against Tampa (the games I actually covered so far his season) - that he felt there were "passengers on the bus". The very next game they play - Comeau is scratched.

Doesn't take much to connect the dots here.

You can just see the difference between Bailey and Comeau, Bailey has been doing more and skating like he's doing whatever he can for the team - it's just not there for him right now. Comeau on the other hand, seems to trail the play, steps behind, bad decisions ect.

Honestly, I am happy that Capuano has the foresight to call out his players and hold them accountable when it's warranted. While Gordon had his dog house, it wasn't always the right reasons or even the right times.

teknics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.