HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Curve Questions

Old
10-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Kulluminati

vCash: 500
Curve Questions

I'm on the market for a new stick and I love Easton's Sakic curve, my question is from the other manufacturers what blade patterns are most similar to Easton's Sakic?

(CCM, Bauer, Warrior, Reebok)

If you could get either the Easton Stealth RS or the Warrior Widow, which would you get and why?

thanks for any input.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:05 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Try hockeymonkey.com. They post user reviews for most of their products (generally, the more popular products get the most reviews), and provide blade charts for each brand. I believe the Sakic/Hall curve is:
Mid curve
5.5 Lie
Open faced

Just compare the specs posted on the blade charts.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:58 AM
hyster110

bauer - p92. warrior - draper

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:05 AM
Kulluminati

thanks guys.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:29 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
bauer - p92. warrior - draper
The Draper has since been renamed the Kopitar.

Reebok P87A Crosby
CCM Ovechkin (not Crazy Ovi)

Between the Widow and RS, it's a close call. Honestly go to a shop and pick both up and see how they feel; they're comparable sticks. Don't be put off by the extra length of the Widow though, as cutting it by the extra 3" won't change the flex. In my opinion, the RS unloads and snaps like no other stick out there.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:36 AM
ponder

The curves have all already been mentioned, but I can tell you that the Bauer P92, Warrior Draper/Kopitar, and Reebok P87A are all exact Sakic clones, or as close to exact as you're gonna get. It's not like when people talk about the Easton Iginla and Bauer Kane being clones (they aren't), these brands all make actual Sakic clones. I'd assume the CCM Ovechkin is an exact clone too, but I'm not 100% sure.

As for RS vs Widow, haven't used either, but people seem to universally love the RS, while some people love the Widow but some do not. The dagger taper is obviously gonna produce a pretty unique stick, I'd do my best to try it out if possible before buying it.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:16 PM
threeVo

def p92 if your going bauer. I had been using a diff curve and just got a p92 x60 stick and immediatly thought wow this is like the synergy sakic i used to use when i was 15

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:54 PM
beth

I was going to say p92 also. I have both the sakic and p92 and they are same.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd go Widow personally because I like low kick sticks and they are really light weight and whippy.

Also, Toews is another Sakic clone used by Warrior for a bit.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Kulluminati

Yea and if it factors in the Stealth or Widow question, my main shots are wristers and snap shots, I seldom do slap shots. So I suppose the dagger tip on the Widow would give me a quick release. On the other hand as I'm sure you guys know, these sticks are EXPENSIVE so for me one of the most important quality would be durablity/toughness of these sticks, I've heard the blade on the Stealth RS chips easily...

Old
10-20-2011, 06:22 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminati View Post
Yea and if it factors in the Stealth or Widow question, my main shots are wristers and snap shots, I seldom do slap shots. So I suppose the dagger tip on the Widow would give me a quick release. On the other hand as I'm sure you guys know, these sticks are EXPENSIVE so for me one of the most important quality would be durablity/toughness of these sticks, I've heard the blade on the Stealth RS chips easily...
The RS hasn't been on the market long enough for people to have a definitive opinion on the durability; same with the Widow. This is unlike the S17 for example where people complained about the durability. Try to get rid of that mindset about the RS.

Actually both sticks are low kicks and like I said, are comparable.

Old
10-20-2011, 06:31 PM
OpenIceHit42

I used a Sakic curve for the longest time, I recently bought an Iginla pattern but haven't had a chance to use it. Not too much of a difference in patterns IMO

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Kulluminati

Yea I should take a look at these sticks in person, I was at Sportschek today to get my skates sharpened and was looking at sticks unfortunately they don't carry either so I'll make a trip to Pro HockeyLife to take a look this weekend and see which feels better in my hands.

Old
10-20-2011, 09:25 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
I used a Sakic curve for the longest time, I recently bought an Iginla pattern but haven't had a chance to use it. Not too much of a difference in patterns IMO
Most people would consider these patterns to be EXTREMELY different. The Iginla has a shorter blade, less rocker, more square toe, and is way less open, the curves are very different in basically every way imaginable except that they're both 5.5 lie mid curves.

Quote:
Yea I should take a look at these sticks in person, I was at Sportschek today to get my skates sharpened and was looking at sticks unfortunately they don't carry either so I'll make a trip to Pro HockeyLife to take a look this weekend and see which feels better in my hands.
While checking out top of the line sticks you should also take a look at the Bauer TotalOne and Apx (both in P92 curves) and the Rbk Ai9 (in P87A).

Old
10-20-2011, 09:50 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Come to Hockey Experts Dixie (4500 Dixie Rd) this Sunday and I'll show you what we're talking about lol -shameless advertising-

Old
10-20-2011, 10:01 PM
OpenIceHit42

Can I expect much of a difference going from the Sakic to the Iginla pattern in terms of shooting/passing?

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:34 AM
Kulluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
While checking out top of the line sticks you should also take a look at the Bauer TotalOne and Apx (both in P92 curves) and the Rbk Ai9 (in P87A).
Yea I'll check those out as well. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Come to Hockey Experts Dixie (4500 Dixie Rd) this Sunday and I'll show you what we're talking about lol -shameless advertising-
Haha yea, if its not too far out of the way I'll definitely come check it out.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Can I expect much of a difference going from the Sakic to the Iginla pattern in terms of shooting/passing?
I went the opposite way, Iginla to Sakic, huge difference in my opinion.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:23 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Life View Post
I went the opposite way, Iginla to Sakic, huge difference in my opinion.
Agreed, huge difference for me too.

Old
10-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Iginla is a shorter closed curve with less rocker. Works really well for keeping shots and passes low and IMO if you're a guy who likes to keep the puck a little away from the body while playing and shooting. Sakic is a bigger open curve with more rocker. It's great for rising snap shots yet you can still control passes and handle the puck fairly well with the neutral mid/heel of the blade. The rocker lets you stickhandle a little further away while pulling the puck in tight to shoot.

Old
10-21-2011, 02:21 PM
ComradeChris

All these kids and there damn need for curve sticks. If you go with a light curve you learn to shoot the puck harder because it takes more strength to get it up. You learn to stickhandle better because it takes more ability to toedrag. You develop qualities better and keep progressing. With a curve... the blade does all the work for you. Not to mention with a curve like a Sakic you don't get a very good backhand. With a straighter curve you have a forehand AND a backhand. Backhands are the most underrated skills to have in hockey. Imagine if your backhand was as good as your forehand.... you'd be a goal scoring machine I promise you that. Ask any goalie what the harder shot is to stop: the forehand or the backhand? He will say the backhand EVERY TIME.

That's just me though... I'd rather use a Zetterberg than a Sakic or Ovechkin curve.

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Highly disagree with you there...we don't use the curve as a crutch but because it fits our game. I have no trouble raising a puck with a flat blade, but it requires a different technique than when I use an open blade, and with an open blade, I can cup the puck more and lean into the stick, getting more power on my shots. Same thing with the rockered heel and toe; I can use a higher lie and get more puck contact while shooting, which translates to harder and more accurate shots.

Now I agree that you should learn on a neutral blade with a mild curve, but really the Sakic is a fairly mild curve just with some loft and a bigger rocker to it. I shoot more similar with a Sakic to a Zetterberg than I do with a Sakic to a Coffey for instance.

Old
10-21-2011, 06:40 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Most people would consider these patterns to be EXTREMELY different. The Iginla has a shorter blade, less rocker, more square toe, and is way less open, the curves are very different in basically every way imaginable except that they're both 5.5 lie mid curves.

Both of these sticks IMO are far superior to the RS and Widow. I have yet to talk to someone who is love with the RS.

The APX may be one of the best sticks i have ever used.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 07:28 PM
AIREAYE

FAR superior? That's definitely a stretch; they're all top of the line sticks and it's mostly personal preference at that point.

I love the RS...first :p

Old
10-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Personally I think the APX is the greatest stick ever made but all those sticks are high end and a little different...PP.