HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Recommend a new phone for me

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2011, 07:42 PM
  #1
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Recommend a new phone for me

I've decided it's time to ditch my old piece of junk phone, and enter into the world of the smartphone for the first time. The problem is - I know almost nothing about them, so I'm looking for some input and suggestions. I did get my hands on a Blackberry Curve 9300, and I like the feel of the pointing device, but I'm pretty much open to anything other than an iPhone, unless someone can make an extremely strong case for me getting one.

My criteria:

My budget is $200 to $250 - but the right phone might convince me to spend $400ish.

It must work in Brazil. (If you're not sure if it will work in Brazil, suggest it and I'll do the research)

I need GPS - I'm going to be in a city of 2.5 million Portuguese speakers, and I can already get lost in a city of 70 000 English speakers.

Long battery life would be a big plus.

Decent web functionality would be nice... ie youtube, google, the basics.

I'm assuming no smart phone exists that can't do a decent job of mp3's and video files, but I thought I'd mention that I want to use those anyway.

Anyone have suggestions?

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:27 PM
  #2
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,339
vCash: 500
Samsung Galaxy SII

Is your budget of 200-250 on or off contract?

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:41 PM
  #3
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
Samsung Galaxy SII

Is your budget of 200-250 on or off contract?
Off contract - I'll be buying the phone up here in Canada, and taking it down to Brazil with me, so I'll be using it on a Brazilian carrier.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:02 PM
  #4
Tek_Jansen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,330
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tek_Jansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Off contract - I'll be buying the phone up here in Canada, and taking it down to Brazil with me, so I'll be using it on a Brazilian carrier.
Won't find too many smartphones in the 200-300 range MSRP. Many are 500+

Tek_Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:08 PM
  #5
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Jansen View Post
Won't find too many smartphones in the 200-300 range MSRP. Many are 500+
I've seen a number - maybe not MSRP, but actual retail price... I just don't know anything about them. I don't need a top performer from this year, just something that will do the above criteria.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:18 PM
  #6
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Any of these worth looking at?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16875176307

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16875176282

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16875353081

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16875212155

The last one has Android 1.6, and I had someone tell me that anything older than 2.0 isn't worth the trouble... would people tend to agree? I'm seeing a number of phones for $150ish, but I'm assuming one probably wouldn't get much mileage out of them?

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:19 PM
  #7
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome
 
MeowLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baconland
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,951
vCash: 500

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:21 PM
  #8
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Haha... I'll pass.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:09 PM
  #9
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
I managed to find myself a Motorola Atrix for $300, shipping included. Hopefully it was a smart purchase. Opinions? It's a Bell phone, but I'll try to unlock it when I get it.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:12 PM
  #10
Sergei Goldenhands
Used Registerer
 
Sergei Goldenhands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Any of these worth looking at?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16875176307

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16875176282

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16875353081

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16875212155

The last one has Android 1.6, and I had someone tell me that anything older than 2.0 isn't worth the trouble... would people tend to agree? I'm seeing a number of phones for $150ish, but I'm assuming one probably wouldn't get much mileage out of them?
The galaxy ace looks decent. It's pretty good entry-level Android smartphone. It had the Gingerbread update made available too IIRC.

The galaxy mini's screen is way too small to easily browse and text imo.

I don't know enough about BlackBerry phones to tell you if the Bold 3G is ok.

Stay away from the Experia. ****** phone. My friend had one and hated it.

Prices are pretty high tho... I'm sure you could find something better.

Sergei Goldenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:14 PM
  #11
Sergei Goldenhands
Used Registerer
 
Sergei Goldenhands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I managed to find myself a Motorola Atrix for $300, shipping included. Hopefully it was a smart purchase. Opinions? It's a Bell phone, but I'll try to unlock it when I get it.
Great buy.

Sergei Goldenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:15 PM
  #12
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Goldenhands View Post
Great buy.
Thanks for the input!

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:30 AM
  #13
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
In my opinion stay away from the new blackberry's, the UI is designed for a touch screen when it isn't one. They seem to be using a new UI that is just play ugly, again totally my opinion but I used to be a BB *****

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:54 AM
  #14
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
In my opinion stay away from the new blackberry's, the UI is designed for a touch screen when it isn't one. They seem to be using a new UI that is just play ugly, again totally my opinion but I used to be a BB *****
I already went for the Atrix at $300... so no BB for me.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:21 PM
  #15
Joe Canada
Registered User
 
Joe Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,995
vCash: 500
Bell will unlock it for a fee ($75, I think?). There are probably websites out there selling an unlock code even cheaper than that, and with a little creative searching, you may be able to unlock it yourself for free.

Joe Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:46 PM
  #16
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canada View Post
Bell will unlock it for a fee ($75, I think?). There are probably websites out there selling an unlock code even cheaper than that, and with a little creative searching, you may be able to unlock it yourself for free.
I didn't know about Bell doing it for a fee - thanks for that. I've come across a few sites that will sell unlock codes.

I'm just hoping that the phone isn't already hard locked from someone else trying to unlock it, although supposedly there are ways around that. I definitely don't want to give Bell any money if I can avoid it. After having them threaten to send me to collections for a couple of months until they got their act together, and cut me a cheque for the money they owed ME, I have no interest in lining their pockets any more than necessary.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.