HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Team Owners Other Businesses - And Players

Old
10-20-2011, 06:13 PM
allin4466

vCash: 500
Team Owners Other Businesses - And Players

Pretty random thought. I remember seeing a few weeks ago, that Burmistrov had picked up a Range Rover from a dealership in Winnipeg(not Chipman owned). I thought at the time "huh, Chipman will be pissed" as the Chipman family owns Birchwood Automotive Group.

It also got me to thinking, that the Chipmans have a large swath of properties and businesses in the city, and Mr. Thompson owns a large amount of companies through T.R.

How cautious does ownership have to be in this situation that none of their players derive special benefits from the companies MC or DT or their familes/empires own? IE Burmi goes to Birchwood Auto group and gets a vehicle for a steal of a deal because hes a Jet(and would probably get that same deal anywhere anyways)

allin4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:28 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
I wonder how much free booze the Hawks get from Wirtz Beverage Group

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:52 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466 View Post
How cautious does ownership have to be in this situation that none of their players derive special benefits from the companies MC or DT or their familes/empires own? IE Burmi goes to Birchwood Auto group and gets a vehicle for a steal of a deal because hes a Jet(and would probably get that same deal anywhere anyways)
This is probably a question for a lawyer, which I'm not. A few of the possible implications, off the top of my head, of any transactions that aren't "arms length" are...
  • would the player have to report it as taxable income?
  • would the team have to pay gift tax?
  • would it count towards team salary floor/cap spending?
  • would the CBA even allow it?

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:55 PM
kaiser matias

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466 View Post
Pretty random thought. I remember seeing a few weeks ago, that Burmistrov had picked up a Range Rover from a dealership in Winnipeg(not Chipman owned). I thought at the time "huh, Chipman will be pissed" as the Chipman family owns Birchwood Automotive Group.

It also got me to thinking, that the Chipmans have a large swath of properties and businesses in the city, and Mr. Thompson owns a large amount of companies through T.R.

The possibility of an issue with this may be the reason that Burmistrov bought his vehicle from a dealership that Chipman didn't own. That way there is not doubt to the NHL or anyone involved that there is some underhanded measures going on.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:17 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
kdb will probably show up with the actual language, but the basic gist of it in the CBA is that any transactions between the player (and their family) and the club/owner/owner's businesses must be done at a market rate, or else it is considered cap circumvention.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote