HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Subban - Signs of a sophomore slump

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2011, 03:21 PM
  #126
XperHFB
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
What do you know about his offseason training? By all reports, Subban is one of the best-trained athletes in the league. Just because he took part in a few promotional events during the summer means squat. When you do two-a-days for a few weeks, you then get a few days off to let your body recuperate. It's completely normal and honestly, Subban deserves to have a little fun once in a while in the middle of all that training. You know, he's a human too, not a training machine whose sole goal is to meet a fan's unrealistic expectations.

If you want to doubt Subban, do it because of his iffy decision-making (which really hasn't been that bad) this season and not for something he's known to do well and often (training). That's really pushing the envelope right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I love it when people bring up his offseason training and say he could've worked harder, as if they know even in the slightest what his offseason training was.

Seriously some people need to get their head out of their rears, you don't know Subban, you don't know his training regiment, you don't know how hard he did or didn't train so stop acting like you do know and that you know that's the reason he's been off this year. He might just be having a slow start and will make a fool of everyone in a few games, but of course 10 games from now if he's doing well the same bashers will jump ship and start fawning over him. Then next year we'll repeat the process as people will quickly forget how stupid it is to react so hastily over 5 games...
Look you know what? we will see. All i know is that hockey wasent invented yesterday and reasons for the rookies sulmp are pretty similar...
And ALSO
I remember some guy named Saku Koivu. He came to the camp season after season ready and top shape mentally, physically name it every thing you want.
He came after injuries producing Points games after games! He came after cancer and got his best career season!!


Well perhaps the training his doing is not that good for him?

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:24 PM
  #127
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
He was one of the best...How do you know P.K. wouldnt have been one of the best as well? Was he there to prove him self?
when he got called up P.K. Played in the playoffs like a ****ing Superstar with 10 years experience againts Washington (btw the best team in the league at that time).

Now whats more impressive?
Doughty was more impressive for sure. Top teams in the world and he was dominating. And unlike Subban he played a great two way game. There's no way Subban would be ready to play on Team Canada. He's not mature enough yet.

Too early to say who will be better in the long run? Sure. I think Subban has amazing offensive instincts but Doughty is ahead right now because he can play much better D than Subban can.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:27 PM
  #128
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
Look you know what? we will see. All i know is that hockey wasent invented yesterday and reasons for the rookies sulmp are pretty similar...
And ALSO
I remember some guy named Saku Koivu. He came to the camp season after season ready and top shape mentally, physically name it every thing you want.
He came after injuries producing Points games after games! He came after cancer and got his best career season!!


Well perhaps the training his doing is not that good for him?
I never said I knew but others are acting like they do know, that's the point.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
  #129
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Doughty was more impressive for sure. Top teams in the world and he was dominating. And unlike Subban he played a great two way game. There's no way Subban would be ready to play on Team Canada. He's not mature enough yet.

Too early to say who will be better in the long run? Sure. I think Subban has amazing offensive instincts but Doughty is ahead right now because he can play much better D than Subban can.
Agreed but we have seen flashes of genius in both zones from Subban which is obviously a good sign, but for sure he can't be called better yet LOL

In my opinion he does have the potential to be that kind of D though, he isn't that far off defensively he just needs to work hard. He's young and will no doubt make mistakes but the talent and work ethic are clearly there, it's all about growing up honestly he just needs to mature. (like you said)

I don't see why people are panicking though, he's played bad before and he bounced back. When you're young and people have that high expectations of you... you're under a microscope. Frankly he hasn't been that bad offensively either, people make it sound like because after 5 games he still isn't capable of putting up 40+ points this season. The team will play better in time, with Markov and Cammy coming back especially and on top of that they'll get more time to start clicking and gain confidence. We've seen this all before and if anyone thinks we won't be in a playoff spot or even fighting for one imo they're crazy. This team has way too much talent and guys like Diaz Emelin and Weber are getting better every day. We have three guys with potential to be a top 4 D one day. On top of it Emelin and Diaz are 25 so it isn't like they're green.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:37 PM
  #130
XperHFB
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I never said I knew but others are acting like they do know, that's the point.
No i'm just making a prediction over what i saw this summer about him. And the thread said Subban - Signs of a sophomore slump and I was trying to give a reason. And to me what I said makes sense.

I still love P.K. and I hope he bounces back but its his contract year and of course I will expect more of him cuz His not Andrei Kostitsyn

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:40 PM
  #131
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Doughty was more impressive for sure. Top teams in the world and he was dominating. And unlike Subban he played a great two way game. There's no way Subban would be ready to play on Team Canada. He's not mature enough yet.

Too early to say who will be better in the long run? Sure. I think Subban has amazing offensive instincts but Doughty is ahead right now because he can play much better D than Subban can.
I disagree with this assessment. I think Doughty's edge is on offense. Subban isn't the same JR player struggling in his own zone.

Doughty had what many considered a bad year and still put up 40 points, but his defensive zone coverage was worse than Jack Johnson imo.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:49 PM
  #132
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Agreed but we have seen flashes of genius in both zones from Subban which is obviously a good sign, but for sure he can't be called better yet LOL

In my opinion he does have the potential to be that kind of D though, he isn't that far off defensively he just needs to work hard. He's young and will no doubt make mistakes but the talent and work ethic are clearly there, it's all about growing up honestly he just needs to mature. (like you said)
His raw skills are sick. No doubt about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I don't see why people are panicking though, he's played bad before and he bounced back. When you're young and people have that high expectations of you... you're under a microscope. Frankly he hasn't been that bad offensively either, people make it sound like because after 5 games he still isn't capable of putting up 40+ points this season. The team will play better in time, with Markov and Cammy coming back especially and on top of that they'll get more time to start clicking and gain confidence. We've seen this all before and if anyone thinks we won't be in a playoff spot or even fighting for one imo they're crazy. This team has way too much talent and guys like Diaz Emelin and Weber are getting better every day. We have three guys with potential to be a top 4 D one day. On top of it Emelin and Diaz are 25 so it isn't like they're green.
People should only panic if they're worried about him this year. I have absolutely no doubt that he'll have a great career but this year might be a bit of a learning curve. Hopefully folks are patient with him because I think he's going to make a lot of mistakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I disagree with this assessment. I think Doughty's edge is on offense. Subban isn't the same JR player struggling in his own zone.

Doughty had what many considered a bad year and still put up 40 points, but his defensive zone coverage was worse than Jack Johnson imo.
Subban makes very bad rookie decisions that I haven't seen Doughty make. Granted, I haven't seen Doughty nearly as much as PK but there's no way Subban even sniffs Team Canada at this point. Doughty's last season may not have been as good as his 2nd but he's already proven that at the very least he can play amazing D with some consistency.

Subban's got wheels for sure and defense can be taught but I don't see him with the same maturity that Doughty has right now. That's my opinion anyway.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:34 PM
  #133
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,779
vCash: 500
Subban has forgotten so much he learned in his rookie season that a return to Hamilton might be in order. He's been a major disappointment this season. We shouldn't expect to see him play in the All Star Game. Unfortunately, Gorges isn't playing well either and Gill is on his last legs. When these three are being outplayed by Weber, Diaz, and Emelin the Habs are in big trouble. Even Spacek would be welcome.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:37 PM
  #134
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
His raw skills are sick. No doubt about it.

People should only panic if they're worried about him this year. I have absolutely no doubt that he'll have a great career but this year might be a bit of a learning curve. Hopefully folks are patient with him because I think he's going to make a lot of mistakes.

Subban makes very bad rookie decisions that I haven't seen Doughty make. Granted, I haven't seen Doughty nearly as much as PK but there's no way Subban even sniffs Team Canada at this point. Doughty's last season may not have been as good as his 2nd but he's already proven that at the very least he can play amazing D with some consistency.

Subban's got wheels for sure and defense can be taught but I don't see him with the same maturity that Doughty has right now. That's my opinion anyway.
I'm not arguing Subban is the better player, I don't believe that to be true, but Doughty had a set back and it wasn't just his offense. His d was very questionable.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:01 PM
  #135
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Subban is fine, he's just not ready to be a #1. Playing against the best players in the league is too much for him right now. If Markov comes back and is the Markov we once knew, Subban will excel against 2nd tier opposition. If Markov is not that player, we have a major problem.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:23 PM
  #136
22Brad Park
Registered User
 
22Brad Park's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Subban is fine, he's just not ready to be a #1. Playing against the best players in the league is too much for him right now. If Markov comes back and is the Markov we once knew, Subban will excel against 2nd tier opposition. If Markov is not that player, we have a major problem.
Very good " A " for U ,,

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.