HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Palffy to Pittsburgh

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Roy_Hobbs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17isGod
And it's not getting any better. With Tarnstrom down, they don't have any tradeable assets to bring in a defensive dman, unless they want to move Malone and that would be an enormous mistake.

moving one of the two good players on the team... one that looks like he could work himself into becoming a dominating power forward...

that wouldn't be good?

funny. it seems exactly like something Patrick would do.

Old
10-30-2005, 10:58 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACaptain
I am a proud Pens fan and I guess I didn't do it in this thread but I expressed concern over the Ziggy Palffy signing among other moves and have continued to on the Pens board. Ziggy has gotten his points but he floats.....and floats.....and floats. We still have no defense. Our goaltending has actually been decent but its hard to tell because of all the goals we have allowed. Still, its a long season. Right now though, its a big pile of yuck.
doesn't seem like so from the game i saw last nite. palffy was backchecking and covering his man going to the net. i believe you underate his defense quite abit here.

he's always floated...thats his game. but watch out when he gets an opening. he's one of the most talented wingers out there. i loved his game when he played for the kings.

10-30-2005, 10:59 AM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Hobbs
or maybe it has something to do with the Club Mario ethic that has taken hold of the organization?
Club Mario worked when there were enough players on the team to keep things in line. The team had a mutiny against Scotty Bowman when he coached and kept the country club atmosphere but they knew when to turn it on. I credit guys like Kevin Stevens, Rick Tocchet, and Ron Francis for keeping the team on the straight and narrow while playing lax sometimes.

LeClair has done a decent job of trying to light a fire under these guys as was evidence by his speech during the timeout of the Atlanta game. I don't remember anyone floating to the degree of Ziggy Palffy though. Maybe Mario did but his reach allowed him to be more effective defensively. Ziggy is supposed to be an elite skater but his lack of skating forced Edzo to put Rico Fata on his line to do all the skating.

Old
10-30-2005, 11:06 AM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
doesn't seem like so from the game i saw last nite. palffy was backchecking and covering his man going to the net. i believe you underate his defense quite abit here.

he's always floated...thats his game. but watch out when he gets an opening. he's one of the most talented wingers out there. i loved his game when he played for the kings.
I accept the fact that maybe I am a bit harsh on Ziggy but I will say that there is a huge difference between his game with the puck and his game without the puck. I have heard from Kings fans that he did a bit of skating for them but those bursts of skating are few and far between with the Pens. From what I heard Muray used to ride him a bit and we have not seen that from Edzo. His offensive skills are undeniable and among the best in the NHL, that's why its frustrating that he refuses to make hustle plays on an consistent basis.

Ziggy did cover his man a few times last night but I can recall a shift in the second period when he turned over the puck and watched his man go to the net with a slight hook. Luckily for the Pens nothing happened.

Old
10-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Roy_Hobbs

Quote:
Club Mario worked when there were enough players on the team to keep things in line. The team had a mutiny against Scotty Bowman when he coached and kept the country club atmosphere but they knew when to turn it on. I credit guys like Kevin Stevens, Rick Tocchet, and Ron Francis for keeping the team on the straight and narrow while playing lax sometimes.

LeClair has done a decent job of trying to light a fire under these guys as was evidence by his speech during the timeout of the Atlanta game. I don't remember anyone floating to the degree of Ziggy Palffy though. Maybe Mario did but his reach allowed him to be more effective defensively. Ziggy is supposed to be an elite skater but his lack of skating forced Edzo to put Rico Fata on his line to do all the skating.

good point on Leclair. Even though he lacks NHL-level talent he works hard - which is more than can be said for Palffy, lemieux, Gonchar and Recchi

Last edited by Roy_Hobbs: 10-30-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old
10-30-2005, 12:59 PM
kruezer

Quote:
good point on Leclair. Even though he lacks NHL-level talent he works hard - which is more than can be said for Palffy, lemieux, Gonchar and Recchi
LeClair lacks NHL level talent? John LeClair?

Old
10-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Roy_Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer

that would be the one.

he does nothing a barrel with a stick taped to it couldn't do

Old
10-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Roy_Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer

have you seen him play at any point over the past four seasons?

Old
10-30-2005, 02:12 PM
PACaptain

Quote:
LeClair is no longer a first line player. I think he is in an ideal role if he continues to work on the third line and get ice time on the power play as well as take a leadership role. He has been improving his play in the last few games from the beginning of the year, so we'll see what Johnny still has in the tank.

To say that Reechi has not been working hard is pretty off base. The Wrecking Ball has been working his tail off but he could not buy a goal against Carolina. The work ethic is definitely there with him, I think its just a timing and finishing issue.

Old
10-30-2005, 02:38 PM
kruezer

Quote:
I have, LeClair has obviously deminished physically, but I think he still has the skills he always had, to write off his talent is completely off-base IMO.

Old
10-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
No.
yes

Old
10-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
No.
Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Old
10-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
or maybe it has something to do with the Club Mario ethic that has taken hold of the organization?
pens of the '90s could be summed up by the motto: "practice easy, play hard". somehow that's morphed into "practice easy, play easy".

Old
10-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
pens of the '90s could be summed up by the motto: "practice easy, play hard". somehow that's morphed into "practice easy, play easy".
I've always been taught, and as I grew up and started coaching, that you play the way you practice.

Old
10-30-2005, 08:21 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I've always been taught, and as I grew up and started coaching, that you play the way you practice.
So if you practice with yourself, you play with yourself?

Old
10-31-2005, 02:23 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
I accept the fact that maybe I am a bit harsh on Ziggy but I will say that there is a huge difference between his game with the puck and his game without the puck. I have heard from Kings fans that he did a bit of skating for them but those bursts of skating are few and far between with the Pens. From what I heard Muray used to ride him a bit and we have not seen that from Edzo. His offensive skills are undeniable and among the best in the NHL, that's why its frustrating that he refuses to make hustle plays on an consistent basis.

Ziggy did cover his man a few times last night but I can recall a shift in the second period when he turned over the puck and watched his man go to the net with a slight hook. Luckily for the Pens nothing happened.
I've been the biggest fan of Palffy, but for some reason, i've never trusted him completely

Old
10-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Recchi doesn't work hard? Are you insane? Have you ever watched him play?

Old
10-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Having no talent, and being hobbled by a back injury are 2 different things.

Old
10-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17isGod
Is it too early to say "I told you so" for all of my posts on pages 4 and 5 of this thread?
Told you so what? that Mario and Palfy would play 55 games combined?

Even in retrospect, I don't see where you said anything particularly intelligent.

All I see is you calling out someone named "Skye" who I've never seen on the Pens board and making a couple of undisputed comments. No reeasonable person ever said the D was going to be great.

I'm not sure what your ranting has to do with Pens fans, or what you are patting yourself on the back for.

Last edited by Lionel Hutz: 10-31-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old
10-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
So if you practice with yourself, you play with yourself?
You tell me.

Closed Thread