HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Ryan McDonagh Mancrush thread

Old
10-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Why do you think they are renovating the Garden? That's the actual reason.
HaHa. Very good.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:29 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=656981

this is a fun thread to read through....dont troll or anything, but just give it a gander
Oh man that was awesome! All the rage and tears!

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Emptyvoid

This is the first time since I've started to watch hockey that I feel like I'm watching the tremendous growth and blossoming of a player. I've watched Cally, Dubi, Girardi, Staal get better over the years but this is something else. Those four grew gradually over the years, taking decent sized steps.

McMonster is making leaps and bounds currently. I know he had a rough game tonight however he has done a FINE job, alongside Girardi, filling the hole that has been left with Staal injured.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

he was just awful tonight....i know he scored that goal, but come on, pimping this thread after a craptastic game like that. blech.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:37 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
he was just awful tonight....i know he scored that goal, but come on, pimping this thread after a craptastic game like that. blech.
I'm with you, man. I thought he was awful tonight.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:11 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Factory of Grit View Post
First time poster, very long time (as in ridicilous long time - I was a reader when this forum was started in the late 90s and before it was called something else and was run by some Canadian brothers I think) reader.

I think the next step is to start mananing our depth better like Detroid Red Wings does. Not necessarily forcing the deal for another superstar, just getting the right bits and pieces is more important. Part of our weakness is having weak spare parts ó Bell, Wojitika, Wolski and Christensen do not get the job done.

Anyway, secondly, n my view, we might have good enough talent but I also saw that during the first game against L.A. our coach got schooled and out-played in terms of strategy and tactics by the coach of the Kings, Murray. We need an assistant coach who understands hockey in a strategic sense, how to build plays and create the flow of the game in a disciplined and structured manner.

Your thoughts?
In camp, I thought we had some depth. Then with Staal not making it,.. it opened some eyes. They called up Erixon and got Wojitika. I thought Wojitika played a solid game in Calgary. With Erixon, I feel every shift he has up here will help him improve. He's like a sponge and will only improve with experience. I'm more worried about MDZ than Tim. MDZ has to really concentrate on D. Whereas it seems to come much more naturally to Tim. We get Staal and Sauer back we'll be ok.

Sending Avery down shocked me. Thought he would be a much better 13th forward comming off the bench than EC. EC I would think, needs consistent minutes to make a difference. You throw Avery out there and you'll know,... he's on the ice. This was a bad call IMHO.

Wolski is gonna surprise you. Had a great camp before his groin went out. He scored 60 points not long ago and I believe will end up on the top line. I'm hoping Torts gives him a chance up there, otherwise he might not be useful elsewhere. He's not a 3rd or 4th line checking player. Step on the other hand is a good 3rd line checking center. I think when Wolski gets healthy, we will have 4 solid lines.

I agree with you that Torts has no strategies other than forecheck hard. It would be a nice, if we had some more crisp passing plays to go along with the crashing. Even when Richards and Gabby are out there, they're forechecking hard, with no clue on what to do when they get possession of the puck other than throw it to the net. It would be nice if they knew how to build a play to create quality chances other than crashing and getting rebounds.

Micky D has been putting up some very important points while amassing better than 25 minutes a game. Couldn't be more happy with his progress and his future.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:17 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont care how good your depth is. If you lose your #1 and #3 defenseman to start the season, it's going to devastate ANY team. PARTICULARLY one that was already super young like ours. We were already going to have MDZ, MCD, and Sauer in our top 6....thats 3 guys averaging 22 years old....throw in a 20 year old Erixon who probably was going to finish the season as a Ranger, and you have an INCREDIBLY young defense....what happens when you lose 2 of your best defenseman? you get screwed.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:54 AM
ColonialsHockey10

His skating is great, so is his passing, and he is going to be a very physical player when he gets more experienced. However his ability to read the play and pick off passes is what makes him unique from other young dmen.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:55 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
i dont care how good your depth is. If you lose your #1 and #3 defenseman to start the season, it's going to devastate ANY team. PARTICULARLY one that was already super young like ours. We were already going to have MDZ, MCD, and Sauer in our top 6....thats 3 guys averaging 22 years old....throw in a 20 year old Erixon who probably was going to finish the season as a Ranger, and you have an INCREDIBLY young defense....what happens when you lose 2 of your best defenseman? you get screwed.
But he does have a point. Every team has injuries, but a team like Detroit always play well through them regardless who's injured. I think The Factory of Grit made a solid point that we should concentrate more on the spare parts. We can always improve in that area, although I don't feel we are lacking all that much.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

McDonagh and Girardi had a rough game last night but that is to be expected during a long season.

At Wisconsin,McDonagh seemed to lack confidence with the puck. He mostly took care of his own end and let Jake Gardiner carry the puck. McDonagh would gain the offensive blueline and take a weak shot on net or just dump the puck in the zone. He would always get his shot blocked from the point. McDonagh still gets his shot blocked from the point. Then again,every shot is blocked or deflected and every passing lane has a stick in it.

Quote:
Iím going to invoke the name Brian Leetch again. Because Leetch always had a clock in his head, and he knew at the end of periods, end of games, when there wasnít enough time left for him to have to worry about defensive responsibilities, and heíd just go. Just go to the net, go to the offensive traffic. Itís a simple thing, but not many defensemen do it. Thereís no risk when itís down to the final seconds. And Ryan McDonagh, who just gets better every day, had the clock in his head winding down and went to the net, no risk at all, and won the game. The kidís got great wheels, got a good head, is big and strong. Too bad they had to give up Scott Gomez to get him.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2011/1...s-in-review-2/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Levitate

I didn't watch the third (went to bed) but from what I saw in the first two periods, might not have been his best game but he certainly wasn't "awful"

I sometimes wonder if people around here have anything between "awesome" and "awful" in their heads. Even a turnover or so doesn't mean someone had an awful game

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:47 AM
NikC

Quote:
but for a young player like that to redeem his bad game with a GWG!
That's huge and it says alot about the kids character. Short term memory is the best thing with our young players. Same goes with MDZ.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:00 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

McDonagh and Girardi had a rough game last night but that is to be expected during a long season.

At Wisconsin,McDonagh seemed to lack confidence with the puck. He mostly took care of his own end and let Jake Gardiner carry the puck. McDonagh would gain the offensive blueline and take a weak shot on net or just dump the puck in the zone. He would always get his shot blocked from the point. McDonagh still gets his shot blocked from the point. Then again,every shot is blocked or deflected and every passing lane has a stick in it.

I think that is the most noticeable thing for me. Last year it wasnt so much that he lacked confidence like he did at Wisconsin, however, he did play it safe. Which is fine to me when you are in your rookie year and you're just trying to settle in and make the right plays so they dont send you back down. This year he has stepped up his game significantly with guys out. He looks so confident and strong on the puck when he is attacking. He has shown great vision and timing. He is a very smart player and he is showing some great offensive upside. Now normally I wouldnt get on a high over a couple good games, but McDonagh has been playing this way all year pretty much and he is getting better and better each game. More confident. I dont see him regressing. I think this is the McDonagh that never fully blossomed at wisconsin and is finally appearing now.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

The thing about McD that gets me is how smart he is. He just reads everything and knows the situation. He knew there was no time left on the clock, so why stay back at the blue line? He charged towards the net and got a big juicy rebound because he made the conscious decision to jump into the slot with the clock running out. And boy, was he rewarded

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Sockosensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
The thing about McD that gets me is how smart he is. He just reads everything and knows the situation. He knew there was no time left on the clock, so why stay back at the blue line? He charged towards the net and got a big juicy rebound because he made the conscious decision to jump into the slot with the clock running out. And boy, was he rewarded
I noticed that too-- what a great read by a young player. Pretty much the moment he saw Dubi dish to Girardi, he was breaking in. Very risky play 4-on-4...UNLESS you're completely aware of the clock

One more thing that has impressed me is just how good he is at getting his body between the man and the puck. He just gets the step on guys and gets position, time after time. Love it.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Im with you. Wonderful that he scored the game winning goal, but defensively he had his worst game as a Ranger tonight. Its to be expected, hes a 2nd year player being asked to play a 1st pairing role...but Im not one to forget the previous 64:58 of that game.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:40 AM
mullichicken25

he did things last night that would have gotten Del Zotto lynched

but, this kid is the real deal. He's gonna be good

He's using his sakting ability to his advantage this year a lot more than in the past and is clearly much more confident with the puck on his stick...both are great things

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Wisconsin had really good D in 09-10. McDonagh. Gardiner. Smith. Schultz. Gardiner has been really good for TO. Smith will be a NHL player. Schultz will also be a NHL player. McBain left after his junior year in 08-09.

BC won in 2010 but Wisconsin was right there with them.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

There's bound to be hiccups along the way in his development. He had a rough game last night for sure. Some good moments, but some of the bad ones were really rough.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

If that bottom pic doesn't scream Torts hockey I don't know what does...

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:45 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Wisconsin had really good D in 09-10. McDonagh. Gardiner. Smith. Schultz. Gardiner has been really good for TO. Smith will be a NHL player. Schultz will also be a NHL player. McBain left after his junior year in 08-09.

BC won in 2010 but Wisconsin was right there with them.
I was thinking about this the other day. Has there ever been a better college defense group then that? Honest question, I don't follow college hockey too much.

McDonagh- Gardiner
Smith- Ramage
Goloubef- Schultz

All NHL style defenseman. All of them will stick at some point.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

So how many points can McDonagh get this year?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
So how many points can McDonagh get this year?

He's done scoring for the year.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

McDonagh is blossoming into a high-end NHL player.

Its really something to watch a player blossom like that.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Sockosensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

He's done scoring for the year.
Down to 3 actually. He's done scoring for the year, and they've credited his OT goal yesterday to Avery.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote