HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#05 | New York Islanders vs. Tampa Bay Lightning | Oct 20 | L 1-4

Old
10-20-2011, 09:39 PM
luki here

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
he (Rolston) is slower than trent hunter .... and i'm NOT kidding. Even Weight was a rocket compared to Rolston.

I've been on this guy for not giving ANY EFFORT in these games....even Comeau was like Brad Marchand compared to Rolston. But I think he's just done.

I'm very disappointed in his effort and play. I really think he's only here because of his cap hit and the elusive floor.

At this rate, they should just waive him and play Niederreiter. Even Gillies is faster than Rolston.
when he was playing with grabs right after he scored his goal, rolston looked totally blown. I'm guessing he was seeing black spots...

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Pretty disgusted with this one. Could make a whole laundry list of negative points that popped out at me.

In general, I'm tired of the guys trying cutsie passes that just are not consequent and which are picked off a majority of the time. I give pretty much Streit, Tavares and Parenteau leeway in that department. I'd give Nielsen and Bailey some leeway as well, but we haven't really seen any deadly 'instinctual' passes from them yet this season.

In general, it's those little, little, little things that undermine you. We saw those mistakes all night long.

Also, I don't understand dressing a guy who you only throw out there for 3-5 minutes. This team is seriously lacking offense beyond the Tavares line. Hope a reinstated Comeau and eventually Niederreiter can do SOMETHING to get another line going. This team will not win crap with only one line able to score more than once per 5 games.

And we're slowly becoming Hedman's ***** in the physical department to boot. Don't like that development whatsoever.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

And another thing: For a guy who will not be scoring, Pandolfo's role in each of the first two goals against was glaringly obvious tonight.

Old
10-20-2011, 10:05 PM
BossyMVP

I'll chalk this up to sucking ass for a nite. Sooner or later players better start playing! In 10 games, we will know what team we have or what team will bring us a top 5 pick again.

BossyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:11 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

We all know the Isles played horribly....BUT....so did Tampa last time we played them.

I give Tampa credit, they were good tonight, but the Islanders sure made it easy for them.

On Gillies: he's not replacing Comeau, Okposo did. He double shifted and played almost 20 minutes tonight, the most since his rookie year probably. I don't blame Capuano on benching Comeau, he obviously had a reason. I also don't think there's another player capable of replacing what Comeau can do at the NHL level. Gillies was a non-factor in this game - as we expected.

The good: only ONE guy, Tavares. He made at least 5-6 very strong defensive plays deep in his own zone. He even managed a solid end to end rush that nobody on this board ever thought was possible based on the skating/conditioning we saw from him two years ago. He also showed how much better he is than anyone on the ice. He was basically alone in this game, in effort and in his play. The rest of the team should be ashamed, except for a few others who at least played hard.

Players with good efforts: Reasoner, Martin, Eaton and Staios

Players who did nothing:
Parenteau was non-existent, as was Moulson. They got ZERO bounces tonight because the line did create some chances in the first period and part of the third, they didn't manage to get to any loose pucks around the net unfortunately.

Streit played poorly. Hamonic was so-so. MacDonald had the first bad couple of shifts I've EVER seen from him. He's spoiled us with his incredible consistency and solid play (him and Hamonic) that even the slightest mistakes and it stands out and hurts us. God forbid any of these three miss games, the team is TOAST.

Nielsen and Grabner. I know Grabs scored but he's been just awful the whole year. I can't believe how little effort he puts in puck pursuit and finishing checks. He turns away from the puck all the time and unless Neilsen uses his quickness to get to a loose puck, or Okposo digs it out, Grabner is no different than Schremp and Tambellini were. Grabner cannot play in the NHL if he plays that way, he simply doesn't do ANYTHING unless he gets a breakaway.

Okposo. Not sure what happened to this guy. He's got zero offensive ability and vision out there. I was upset last year with his five goals, although he worked really hard and meshed well with hot-Grabs and Nielsen last year - but I think he was simply a beneficiary of Grabner's hot streak and Nielsen's solid play. He's not skating well, he makes terrible decisions with the puck, he is so slow to shoot and has zero offensive instincts now.

Montoya: sub-par, but nothing he could have done would have changed a thing in this game.

On Bailey: he works hard, made some nice plays, some average shifts, certainly not a bad game and not a good game. He played a few shifts with Okposo and Martin - I'd like to see them together more often.

Rolston: completely terrible player, terrible effort. He's worse than Weight would have been this year. $5 Million - that's over $800k per MONTH for the six month season. I could do more than him for less than half the money (A guy's gotta make a living ) and yes, Trent Hunter was better and faster.
----------

As Chapin said: I'd like to see Comeau and Niederreiter on this team soon. They really need a boost from someone who can either work hard and/or generate pressure down low. This figure-skating approach will get the team nowhere fast.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:17 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

1) I have developed a fairly accurate rule for the isles: if they get beaten to a loose puck, usually in the corners, 3x in a row - I change the channel because the effort won't be there.

Yes, I know moulson and martin are unbelievably slow skaters and couldn't outskate a 3 year old to a loose puck, but they simply had no hustle at all tonight.

Over and over they were trapped in their own zone for stretches at a time, as they could not get a hold of rebounds from Tampa shots. Hockey is like basketball, no rebounds and you lose. If Tampa hits montoya and he clears the rebound into the corner - get the f--king puck, don't glide to it like an open hockey session and wait for your opponent to make a move...

2) I said last year okposo is not that good of a player, and I still think he's a 3rd liner at best.

3) someone please give matt martin a few private skating lessons, I'm playing only one year and even <I> am almost a better skater at this point.

4) someone tell capuano that if the team appears this comatose, call a timeout and scream at them. Why just stand there like a statue and watch them sleepwalk through 60 minutes of hockey?

5) did anyone else see on the second tampa goal (by lecavlier) how he was surrounded by islanders, all of whom he of course beat to the puck, and the islander defenseman (hamonic) BACKED UP instead of attacking him, which gave him lots of room to shoot? The last time I checked the NHL is still a checking league, right?

What a dreadful effort...

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Mr Islander

I only watched the first two periods but from what I saw, the Islander's effort was there, they were skating, but Tampa looked like they really focused on playing a very strong defensive game (probably after being shellacked the previous game by the Panthers, and the coach ripping into them about their defensive game). The Islander's focus seemed to be more on trying to generate scoring chances (moving the puck up the ice), and Tampa's game was more about preventing scoring chances against them. The Isles were a bit loose in their own end, and critical turnovers did them in. The game (at least the first two periods that I saw) was more about Tampa playing much better defensively than the Islanders.

Mr Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:00 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Streit and Okposo are turning into my biggest disappointments of the season so far, when weighing expectations vs. results.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Fairenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Streit and Okposo are turning into my biggest disappointments of the season so far, when weighing expectations vs. results.
What games have you been watching?

He was crummy tonight, but he's been pretty darn good over the first 5 games. MUCH better than what anyone should have realistically expected (after not playing for 18 months).

Fairenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

I'll read fully through the thread in the morning but here is my SHORT recap,

Flat and unmotivated. You carry Gillies on the damn roster, USE HIM. Have him kick the crap out of someone to jumpstart your team, otherwise put Comeau in. Passing sucked, defense was lackluster. Martin at least tried to get something going, but couldn't get anyone to oblige. Completely disappointed in this team tonight.

10-21-2011, 01:06 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

I'm ready for Nabby, but I have been all season. I agree with others, this one wouldn't have been different had Montoya only given up 2 goals. But you can't make excuses when a guy gives up 4 goals. All in all I think Nabby is a better goaltender. I'm still looking forward to the DP/Nabby combo in the near future.

Gillies doesn't line up well against Tampa Bay. Can't blame him for that. Downie is the only Bolt who will scrap some, but Gillies would have killed him. You can't blame Gillies for not being out there or being dressed, that's on the coach. For what it's worth, being at the game, I watched Gillies alot. He's always talking to guys, yelling at guys, motivating and seemed like a player/coach on the bench. Many sports teams have a guy who's good for locker room morale/motivator, and plus he's an enforcer. He can and will be useful. Just be patient.

Same thing for Rolston. Be patient. The guy was slaughtered by fans and media in NJ even when he had a decent year because of his salary. Well if that is the main basis for the argument here, it shouldn't be. This team isn't spending boatloads regardless of Rolston being on the team. The Devils gave him the big contract, but I still remember him playing well last year. It took him some time to get going, but when he did he was still productive. Ignore the salary because with the Isles it's not an issue anyways.

A bad game, yes. But they are going to happen throughout the year. We have started off much better than most expected, so one small bump shouldn't be such a problem. The team has set our expectations high with their great play so far. But keep in mind the season is very young. We aren't going to win every game and not every game is gonna be good. This start is encouraging enough for the whole year, but we shouldn't worry too much about a bad game. I feel like maybe we are spoiled by the strong start.

This is a good young team. We have a long year to look forward too. This game wasn't great, but let's move on and get the next one!

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:51 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenough View Post
What games have you been watching?

He was crummy tonight, but he's been pretty darn good over the first 5 games. MUCH better than what anyone should have realistically expected (after not playing for 18 months).
All of them. What games have you been watching? From not moving his feet, getting caught out of position, not playing the body when he needs too, etc., I expect far greater from him. If his name was Mottau then yeah, ok, par for the course, but not what I expect from the C or the #1 D. His first year here was great. After that, ignoring the injury... not so much. He looks too hesitant with the puck, sometimes. The last full season he played he was really bad almost up until the Olympic break. He's looking about that good right now. He's had some good shifts, but overall the good shifts are in the minority. Do you think he played well tonight? Out of all the games I'd say he had a total of 4 good periods. That's not good.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:57 AM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Even the games won, I have been left feeling a bit....empty, I guess.

There has been no intensity, no desperation, and certainly no physical play.

This was much more evident in last night's lackluster performance. But again, the same thing can be said about the games they won.

Aside from the Tavares line, it appears as though there is no will to win. Even the Grabner, Nielsen, Okposo line seems slow.

To me, when a team has intensity and that will to win, they will play physical. And they have not done that at all. Martin has been ok, but I haven't seen too many other hits, not even from Hamonic.

Has there even been a fight yet?

The Islanders need to start playing physical, and I believe that will light an entirely new spark (and I don't mean starting Gillies).

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:36 AM
BaileyToOkposo

I really can't see how people can put any blame on streit. When our offense is playing that bad the puck certainly isn't in the offensive zone most of the time so its either in.the neutral zone or in our zone which is causing a lot of pressure on our defense. I put the blame on our offense for not controlling the play. I want Nino healthy so we can drop okposo aka "power forward" (who has yet to turn into a man nd start playing like a power forward) to the third line with Bailey nd Martin

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:59 AM
lazycop
F Theo Fleury

For everyone clamoring for Nabakov, don't forget that 'The thing that wouldn't leave' is skating again and is on this trip. Don't be surprised to see everyones favorite goalie make an extremely ill-timed start at some point.

lazycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:31 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Nielsen and Grabner. I know Grabs scored but he's been just awful the whole year. I can't believe how little effort he puts in puck pursuit and finishing checks. He turns away from the puck all the time and unless Neilsen uses his quickness to get to a loose puck, or Okposo digs it out, Grabner is no different than Schremp and Tambellini were. Grabner cannot play in the NHL if he plays that way, he simply doesn't do ANYTHING unless he gets a breakaway.

Okposo. Not sure what happened to this guy. He's got zero offensive ability and vision out there. I was upset last year with his five goals, although he worked really hard and meshed well with hot-Grabs and Nielsen last year - but I think he was simply a beneficiary of Grabner's hot streak and Nielsen's solid play. He's not skating well, he makes terrible decisions with the puck, he is so slow to shoot and has zero offensive instincts now.
Unfortunately, you took the analytical words right out of my mouth with these two.

Old
10-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

This morning I go outside...

This morning, I go outside and there is a putrid smell.

I'm assuming it is the turd the Isles laid on the ice last night.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:37 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Unfortunately, you took analytical words right out of my mouth with these two.
Ya I agree 100%. All Grabner does now is look for that breakout pass. And just tries to let his teammates make plays for him. I'm really not liking his play right now. He's gta learn his speed can't be his whole game

Old
10-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Far East Island

Got back home and saw the thread filled with comments and got depressed... Wasn't motivated to watch the game and just clicked the highlight where Grabner scored his 1st goal of the season.

Wish the Isles revamp next game against the Panthers but there's a good concern in my mind the team may pull another season opener.

Far East Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:02 AM
xIsle

Quote:

On Bailey: he works hard, made some nice plays, some average shifts, certainly not a bad game and not a good game. He played a few shifts with Okposo and Martin - I'd like to see them together more often.
I would like to see Okposo back with Bailey and Comeau for the next game and use Martin (or Niederreiter if he's ready) on a line with Nielsen and Grabner.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:10 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIsle View Post
I would like to see Okposo back with Bailey and Comeau for the next game and use Martin (or Niederreiter if he's ready) on a line with Nielsen and Grabner.
Might be worth trying.

Old
10-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Dan-o16

My God. The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Wasn't happy with the performance either, but some of the stuff here on individual players, particularly the forwards, is way over the top.

The truth is, if Islander forwards play like other teams' forwards in their own zone, they'll get stuck, because our non-physical D won't win individual battles. If the forwards swoop down low, the best they can do is chip the puck to center ice, or break out with one man surrounded by three defenders.

Everything else people are noting here are symptoms of that. That's why there's no speed through the neutral zone. That's why the passes are too cute. That's why there's no offensive vision, because everyone is stacked up in the neutral zone from a breakout that starts slow because two forwards are supporting a D in one corner.

We have ONE defender who is not physically overmatched, and that's Hamonic. So, unless we get the bounces, or play the puck perfectly in our own zone, we get stuck. Tonight, the puck didn't bounce our way, and the cute plays backfired. There will be games like this all year long, and we should all know why. It will appear like an inconsistency in effort, or whatever. But it's not. It's that our inability to win battles down low ends up requiring relatively low-percentage plays in order to break out. Some nights, the puck will bounce the right way. Other nights, it won't.

We all know a soft D is our team's major flaw. Let's not make others up.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

Wasn't happy with the performance either, but some of the stuff here on individual players, particularly the forwards, is way over the top.

The truth is, if Islander forwards play like other teams' forwards in their own zone, they'll get stuck, because our non-physical D won't win individual battles. If the forwards swoop down low, the best they can do is chip the puck to center ice, or break out with one man surrounded by three defenders.

Everything else people are noting here are symptoms of that. That's why there's no speed through the neutral zone. That's why the passes are too cute. That's why there's no offensive vision, because everyone is stacked up in the neutral zone from a breakout that starts slow because two forwards are supporting a D in one corner.

We have ONE defender who is not physically overmatched, and that's Hamonic. So, unless we get the bounces, or play the puck perfectly in our own zone, we get stuck. Tonight, the puck didn't bounce our way, and the cute plays backfired. There will be games like this all year long, and we should all know why. It will appear like an inconsistency in effort, or whatever. But it's not. It's that our inability to win battles down low ends up requiring relatively low-percentage plays in order to break out. Some nights, the puck will bounce the right way. Other nights, it won't.

Cheers,

Dan-o
This is a pretty good analysis. Wonder what steps Caps will take against this development? Seems like its 'the plan' to have the five guys crashing fairly deep in the defensive zone.

Old
10-21-2011, 07:36 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

Cheers,

Dan-o
Agree with the defense part that we only have one dman who can actually lay someone out but u can't overlook the part that our 2nd line can't control the puck in our offensive zone. The breakout part you said is correct and we all should have knew that was the reason since our offense is deep in our own zone but once u get the puck in there zone they have to cycle which our first lines seems to be the only line who is doing that correctly. And with the isles plying that type of defense that completely kills grabners breakout speed out of the dzone

Old
10-21-2011, 07:45 AM
JKP

This one clearly lands on the coaches.

This team had 4 days off and should have come out with fresh legs and been flying. Instead, they came out flat and looked like they'd been drinking beer for the last four days and lounging around the pool.

Same problem on opening night. Big layoff between any games and they come out flat. After a couple of games, they played much better. Be curious to see if they're much crisper tomorrow.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote