HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Regin (season ending shoulder surgery)

Old
10-01-2011, 09:40 AM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Collins View Post
I'm starting to wonder how close Regin is to his ceiling. Cause its sure not as high as Zibanejad's, and the 3rd line C is Smith's to lose right now
That depends on what you mean by ceiling and how much importance you are placing on Zibanejad's in the short term.

It really is asking a lot of Zibanejad to be a 2nd line centre this season and maybe even next, despite his preseason. I don't quite recall Hossa's first preseason, but he made a playoff team before being sent back to the CHL after 7 games and then put up 30 points in 60 games the next year. We don't need anymore 3rd or 4th liners and we certainly don't need to be wasting years of his ELC to get mediocre seasons out of a player.

As for Regin's ceiling...
Will he look better on the ice? ... Probably not much better.
Will he be more successful? ... He should have been a heck of lot more successful last season. 1 point in 29 games mid-season? That shouldn't happen for a player of his skill & smarts.

Is there a role for Regin in the future? Yep. In a bubble, you don't typically contend with a Regin as your 2nd line centre. However, as an offensive winger with the ability to provide a great depth option as an offensive centre for a contender with an injury... yeah, that's the kind of depth that you can win with. This of course presumes that Regin becomes something of a 'Vermette/White/Cullen' type of player this season.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:12 AM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
That depends on what you mean by ceiling and how much importance you are placing on Zibanejad's in the short term.

It really is asking a lot of Zibanejad to be a 2nd line centre this season and maybe even next, despite his preseason. I don't quite recall Hossa's first preseason, but he made a playoff team before being sent back to the CHL after 7 games and then put up 30 points in 60 games the next year. We don't need anymore 3rd or 4th liners and we certainly don't need to be wasting years of his ELC to get mediocre seasons out of a player.

As for Regin's ceiling...
Will he look better on the ice? ... Probably not much better.
Will he be more successful? ... He should have been a heck of lot more successful last season. 1 point in 29 games mid-season? That shouldn't happen for a player of his skill & smarts.

Is there a role for Regin in the future? Yep. In a bubble, you don't typically contend with a Regin as your 2nd line centre. However, as an offensive winger with the ability to provide a great depth option as an offensive centre for a contender with an injury... yeah, that's the kind of depth that you can win with. This of course presumes that Regin becomes something of a 'Vermette/White/Cullen' type of player this season.
I would tend to agree with a lot of this. I don't think it's realistic to expect Peter Regin to be the long term answer as a 2nd line centre (although stranger things have happened). However, that doesn't mean that he can't be a solid contributer in the lineup in another role. And that position could be as a winger on a scoring line. The Sens, as currently constructed certainly have openings there and it seems like there will be plenty of opportunities throughout the season for guys to be slotted in all over the place in order to see where they best fit.

As for Zibanejad, he's assuredly earned at least his 10 games to start the season. In a perfect world, you would be waiting at least another year to put him in such an important role but the Sens have a glaring hole in the middle and at the moment, he's one of the best options to fill it. But if you're going to do this, you should be playing him with reliable wingers. Alfie and Michalek make the most sense because Alfie makes everyone better and Michalek just doesn't work with Spezza. Both of those wingers are also very solid defensively and would support Zibanejad in their own zone allowing him to focus more on creating offense.

As for the 1st line, I think Filatov has shown enough flashes that he should start the season alongside Spezza in order to determine whether he can produce consistently in that role. You pretty much have to do this because Filatov without an offensive partner may as well be sent to the AHL for all the use he'd be. But he's at least put himself in the position to get that 10-15 game tryout alongside Spezza.

The other wing position is more difficult because Butler's been given every opportunity this pre-season to play with top players and he's looked terrible. The problem with Butler (and Filatov to a lesser extent) is that if he's not scoring, he's completely useless. If you look at players like Greening or Regin, even if they're not producing offensively, they can bring other attributes to the table in order to help the team and you can also play them on any line because of their versatility.

You can tell the coaching staff really likes Greening because he brings a dimension to a scoring line that the Sens don't currently have (the size, speed and physicality to go get the puck on the forecheck as well as plug up the front of the net) which makes him a very tantalizing "glue" component to a scoring line. But Greening can be effective throughout the lineup and his offensive upside is limited. I think Regin as the other winger brings more offensive spark and still gives you the defensive responsibility that Spezza and Filatov would need. There's also the curiosity about whether Regin and Spezza still have the chemistry that can be rekindled.

Based on last year when Butler displayed the ability to score consistently at both the AHL and NHL level, Butler earned his NHL contract and spot on the roster this year. That however shouldn't also mean that he automatically plays in a Top 6 role. Based on how he's looked in pre-season, he needs to start on a lower line or the press box and demonstrate that he can contribute before getting another shot.

Foligno also got a few chances to distinguish himself and didn't do anything of note so he'll have to ply his trade on the Bottom 6 for now as well.

It's unfortunate for Da Costa that he couldn't suit up for the last few pre-season games because he could have made some decisions harder for the coaching staff. But because of Zibanejad's assured 10 game tryout, he'll probably start in the AHL (which isn't the worse thing in the world). It's comforting to know that the Sens could have a potential offensive spark sitting down there that they can call up at any time. He did a good enough job in the games he did play in do give the organization little hesitation in order to call him up.

So, assuming that Regin is healthy to start the season, here's my best guess of what they may do:

Regin-Spezza-Filatov
Michalek-Zibanejad-Alfie
Foligno-Smith-Neil
Greening-Konopka-Butler/Condra (depending if they want to sit Butler entirely or simply play him on a lower line)

Winchester and Butler/Condra sit.

Karlsson-Phillips
Gonchar-Cowen
Kuba-Lee

Carkner sits.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:04 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

The re-injury to Regin looks like a play you see 20 times a game, a guy running into the boards. It makes you wonder if his shoulder is going to be an ongoing concern for him & the team. It will be interesting to see if he is able to return, how long before he injures it again or if he will need surgery again & that will likely end his yr. But with Regin & Winchester out it gives Zibanejad & Da Costa time to show what they can do & if it is more or better than the other two could do.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:29 AM
SENSational Sens Fan

So, it looks like his hurt the same shoulder yet again.

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:46 AM
HappyDude
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
The Sens have a 4:00pm MRI slot booked every single day for these cases, so obviously they won't know till after that. It'll be sometime this evening when Dr. Chow and Radiologists get a chance to look at the images (and they are read STAT).
Do you know where they do these MRI's? Do they do them at a private clinic en Quebec or do they use the Public ones in Ontario preventing ordinary taxpayers form getting the help they need in order for a bunch of jocks to play hockey?

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:54 AM
np15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
Do you know where they do these MRI's? Do they do them at a private clinic en Quebec or do they use the Public ones in Ontario preventing ordinary taxpayers form getting the help they need in order for a bunch of jocks to play hockey?
haha great post

np15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:14 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

So... is this going to be the "All-Purpose" Peter Regin injury thread? We can just keep reusing it ever 5 weeks, as needed?

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

vCash: 50
Is Regin our new Havlat???

Cat Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:23 AM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post
Is Regin our new Havlat???
Minus speed and skill.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Karlssonlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Minus speed and skill.
He has the speed and skill,

just lacks that drive and determination to take games over through will.

He's still a good player though.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:33 AM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post

Of Havlat?

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post

I thought this was another haiku .

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Gosh darn it. I came really close to getting a Regin Heritage jersey!

I totally have a man crush on Regin, I hope this isn't too serious!

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

not really anything else to say except

/career (i mean thread)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:10 AM
TSA0402

Worst case scenario, I'd still send Zib to Sweden. Give Da Costa a longer term shot to get out of his funk and give Zack Smith a shot at 3rd line duties.

I'm really concerned because the hits that Regin is getting injured from aren't even bone crunching hits. Basically just love taps and its happened twice now in such an immediate time frame.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:34 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

OK, I know this isn't the most popular opinion out here, but if Regin's shoulder is really damaged and he's out long-term, I'd like to know what the asking price on Kyle Turris is.

I love DaCosta, don't get me wrong, but if DaCosta just isn't ready, and if we're committed to sending Zibanejad back to the SEL (both are big "IFs", I completely admit), and if the asking price for Turris is not crazy-go-nuts, it's worth looking into.

Again, lots of "ifs" here, but whenever early-season trades are made, it's usually due injuries like this one. It is, at the very least, worth looking into.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

So exactly how is Regin suppose to protect himself or avoid injury when a 6'6" 240lbs player cross checks him from behind right on his shoulder? How is this Regin's fault for getting injured? Why is he to blame? It's not like he tripped over his skate lace or something.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
So exactly how is Regin suppose to protect himself or avoid injury when a 6'6" 240lbs player cross checks him from behind right on his shoulder? How is this Regin's fault for getting injured? Why is he to blame? It's not like he tripped over his skate lace or something.
He exposed his gimp shoulder to the menace of a 6'6" 240 lbs player.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:03 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Does Regin have Leclaironitus? Hopefully not.

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
He exposed his gimp shoulder to the menace of a 6'6" 240 lbs player.
Are you implying he has eyes in the back of his head? Then he still could not have seen him because his helmet would have blinded him anyways. Any other suggestions on how he could have avoided a hit from behind? Maybe he should just have stayed on the bench and not played. Then he would have been perfectly safe.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:07 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Lmao the jocks who pay more taxes then everyone on your street combined? Yeah, those jocks.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:08 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Of Havlat?
Speed yes, skill no.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:10 AM
rbkhockey29

Kyle Turris does sound interesting.... He's still young to go along with the rebuild. I wonder what he commands in salary?? And what the yotes would want in return?

rbkhockey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:13 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Not looking good for Regin. He keeps re-aggravating the same shoulder over and over again. These kinds of injuries are the ones that can be career ending (or slow down your career big time). If Surgery didn't do anything first time it won't do anything the next...

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:28 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
private clinic. Nobody jumps the queue.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote