HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part III (All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

View Poll Results: Which team is better?
Former Habs 34 44.16%
Current Habs 33 42.86%
It's even 4 5.19%
None 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Stradale

vCash: 500
And Higgins scores his third of the season.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Miller Time

man oh man...

watched the third period + overtime of the Rangers game... McDonagh is really, really good.

I imagine this is the kind of player Timmins thought he had with the pick, and if this is just the start for him in terms of his NHL potential (very reasonable considering that this is essentially his rookie season), he could very quickly turn into an all-star caliber player.

Netted the OT winner on a great read/finish on a rebound, and late in regulation he almost scored the winner on a beautiful play where he flashed some amazing hand-eye-coordination on the fly.

skills, poise, skating, and while not physical, he seems big enough and smart enough to be very effective in the d-zone.

I wonder how Timmins really feels about the player, the trade, and his bosses decision making that led to it... i bet it burns him to the core.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Bouchard61

Sheldon Souray is having an amazing start this year. 5 points in the first 6 games (1 goal, 4 assists). Hes the Dallas player with the most points this year, it was the right move for him! After leaving the Habs in 2007 coming off a 64 point season (26 goals, 38 assists) his move to Edmonton slowed down his career a little. Personally I feel he could be getting the same stats with this years Oilers (Nugent-Hopkins, Smyth, Eberle, Hall, Omark and more!!), 20 goal season again??

Old
10-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Bouchard61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not the prettiest goal but a goal is a goal....
Truly wasn't the best goal but at least he takes shots..Hal Gill gets the puck and just dumps, he doesn't even try to get it on target..More goals than Gorges, Subban, Emelin, Gill and Spacek this year

Old
10-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouchalex View Post
Sheldon Souray is having an amazing start this year. 5 points in the first 6 games (1 goal, 4 assists). Hes the Dallas player with the most points this year, it was the right move for him! After leaving the Habs in 2007 coming off a 64 point season (26 goals, 38 assists) his move to Edmonton slowed down his career a little. Personally I feel he could be getting the same stats with this years Oilers (Nugent-Hopkins, Smyth, Eberle, Hall, Omark and more!!), 20 goal season again??
I had a strong feeling he was going to bounce back and be a very good addition for whomever he ended up with...

wish the habs had given him a shot, he was very low risk high reward, and he would have filled a lot of holes.

would have done wonders to improve our toughness on D (exactly the kind of toughness I'd like to see us have more of... strong/tough enough to stick up for his teammates effectively, drop them if he needs to, and more than skilled enough to play big minutes).

and i doubt our PP would be as anemic as it's been with his cannon from the back end.

would have much prefered giving him a shot over campoli (who i don't mind at all).

all that said, i still imagine he'll end up missing time to injury, he's got that injury bug for sure.

Old
10-21-2011, 12:08 AM
BobbyFischer*

Oh my.. dunno if any of you have been watching the Rangers play at all this year, but... it looks like that Gomez trade may haunt Montreal for years to come... nuff said.

Old
10-21-2011, 12:10 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Oh my.. dunno if any of you have been watching the Rangers play at all this year, but... it looks like that Gomez trade may haunt Montreal for years to come... nuff said.
At least we know Timmins can draft.

Old
10-21-2011, 12:11 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
At least we know Timmins can draft.
I wasn't sold on McD at all after it looked like Fischer wasn't going to pan out, turns out I was wrong!

Subban - Tinordi
Beaulieau - Emelin is gonna be a legit top6 for years to come.

Old
10-21-2011, 05:48 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
man oh man...

watched the third period + overtime of the Rangers game... McDonagh is really, really good.

I imagine this is the kind of player Timmins thought he had with the pick, and if this is just the start for him in terms of his NHL potential (very reasonable considering that this is essentially his rookie season), he could very quickly turn into an all-star caliber player.

Netted the OT winner on a great read/finish on a rebound, and late in regulation he almost scored the winner on a beautiful play where he flashed some amazing hand-eye-coordination on the fly.

skills, poise, skating, and while not physical, he seems big enough and smart enough to be very effective in the d-zone.

I wonder how Timmins really feels about the player, the trade, and his bosses decision making that led to it... i bet it burns him to the core.
All reports indicate that he was truly pissed off about it.

Old
10-21-2011, 07:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
man oh man...

He also scored a goal and had a beautiful rush from the point that set up a Gaborik tap in against Vancouver.

He's been a god-send for the Rangers thus far as he's been asked to log a lot of minutes with Staal out. Only real negative is he's taken a few bad penalties.

10-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

McDonagh is awesome

Old
10-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I had a strong feeling he was going to bounce back and be a very good addition for whomever he ended up with...

wish the habs had given him a shot, he was very low risk high reward, and he would have filled a lot of holes.

would have done wonders to improve our toughness on D (exactly the kind of toughness I'd like to see us have more of... strong/tough enough to stick up for his teammates effectively, drop them if he needs to, and more than skilled enough to play big minutes).

and i doubt our PP would be as anemic as it's been with his cannon from the back end.

would have much prefered giving him a shot over campoli (who i don't mind at all).

all that said, i still imagine he'll end up missing time to injury, he's got that injury bug for sure.
We are not exactly lacking "shots from the point" on the PP and Souray's body is not in a condition where he should be fighting a lot. We need a Bryan Allen type top 4 guy who can help on PK and play 20 minutes on a 2nd pair.

Old
10-21-2011, 08:35 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouchard61 View Post
I seen him live on Saturday in Dallas and he was the most notable dman on the ice for the most part. He was even playing on the first PK unit.

Old
10-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Levitate

Quote:
He doesn't throw big hits but he's strong on the boards and in front of the net.

He's a strong guy, he can take on big forwards and not get pushed around, he just hasn't really shown much in the way of looking for big hits.

Old
10-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We are not exactly lacking "shots from the point" on the PP and Souray's body is not in a condition where he should be fighting a lot. We need a Bryan Allen type top 4 guy who can help on PK and play 20 minutes on a 2nd pair.
6 games in and zero goals @ 5 on 4... I'd say at this point our PP is lacking in just about everything...

and for the umpteenth time, it's not about fighting for the sake of fighting, it's about having a "tough as nails" player who, if anything, doesn't need to fight much because he is physically imposing enough that not many players want to mess with him.

Souray has always been one of the toughest "non-goon" players in the league, he really doesn't fight all that much and I doubt he'd be looking to drop the gloves much given his recent, fight-related, injuries.

but he's the type of player and person that will stick up for teammates all the time, and won't crap from the opposition "tough" players (not 4min/night goons) who try to push smaller players around.

Bryan Allen would be a great addition as well, though the point was more that Souray was very easily available and wouldn't have cost anything... Allen would have required giving up assets to acquire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He doesn't throw big hits but he's strong on the boards and in front of the net.

He's a strong guy, he can take on big forwards and not get pushed around, he just hasn't really shown much in the way of looking for big hits.
on a team with Weber-Diaz-Campoli-Spacek in the D depth, we could very much use a big strong guy who doesn't get pushed around

Old
10-21-2011, 12:18 PM
kassian

The worst thing about the Souray situation is that he's only getting paid 1.6 million. That's less than Hal Gill, which we pay 2.25 to be a giant slob who's role should be limited to playing on the PK only.

He would've been very useful right now, in these times of injuries and struggles

Old
10-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Protest the Hero

I remember seeing the trade on the ticker at the bottom that morning and wasn't too happy about trading Higgins+Valentenko for Gomez, then the text scrolled again and I saw McDonaghs name. First thing I said was, "he even included McDonagh too, WTF!", but I don't know why you guys do this to yourselves. He's not coming back, best to stop asking what could have been.

It's great to see him doing well, especially since some questioned the pick at the time.

Old
10-21-2011, 12:42 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson Hoggs View Post
The worst thing about the Souray situation is that he's only getting paid 1.6 million. That's less than Hal Gill, which we pay 2.25 to be a giant slob who's role should be limited to playing on the PK only.

He would've been very useful right now, in these times of injuries and struggles
Some people entertained the idea of his return (not to say I told ya so, I wasn't too sold on him either after the NYR scouts report on him but I still suggested it as a stop-gap and for leadership), it was met with a emphatic AWW HELL NAWW. People hate what they don't understand, and by that I mean most people just don't get hockey, the management or the on-ice game but love to post here anyway.

Old
10-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Roman Hamrlik

Montreal Canadiens:

Worst start in over a decade.

Washington Capitals:

Best start in decades (best start ever?).

Gauthier and the coaching staff (likely) made a grave error in letting the experienced workhorse go.

A proud 1st overall pick who loved playing defence in Montreal.

Old in years? yes

Old in pro attitude? no

Anyway... what's done is done.

Old
10-21-2011, 03:46 PM
habitue*

He's the biggest loss of the summer for the Habs...

Old
10-21-2011, 03:46 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I love Hamrlik but let it go. Dude got a two year deal and I'm happy he got paid one last time.

Old
10-21-2011, 03:51 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
I love Hamrlik but let it go. Dude got a two year deal and I'm happy he got paid one last time.
I am so happy for our limping Markov who got THREE years at almost 6 million a year... And I am so glad we kept Gill...

Old
10-21-2011, 03:51 PM
neofury*

Honestly it's hard to let it go at this time. Washington is a much better team so it isn't just Hammer. But it hurts not having Hammer. We signed Campoli anyways which is half a Hammer.... I have tried to defend the move in the past but I can't anymore.

Lets just say word of mouth is that Hammer was devastated when he found out Gauthier wouldn't sign him for the fair deal he was offering. He wanted to remain a hab. Apparently he did what he did for his family but is upset because he's settled in Montreal and actually loves the city. Apparently many in the locker room miss him as well because he was a well liked player here.

I only found this out recently and it made me quite upset knowing Hammer wanted to be here big time and Gauthier wouldn't just give him the extra year. I support PG but to me it's kind of classless. He gave everything to this city, and no more than ever we see how badly our team needs his presence. He was overworked here and may have looked bad at times but he's a solid D. Biggest mistake.

If only we could convince Washington to trade him back now. I know we have some D developing who needed the room but I just feel bad for Hammer knowing he really did want to stay, and not like he's a bad player either.

Old
10-21-2011, 03:58 PM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

Ive gotta say,

I was SO dissappointed when Hammer left the Habs.

Watching him is what made me fall for the Habs in the first place.

Good on him for the good start.

He deserves it.

Old
10-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Honestly it's hard to let it go at this time. Washington is a much better team so it isn't just Hammer. But it hurts not having Hammer. We signed Campoli anyways which is half a Hammer.... I have tried to defend the move in the past but I can't anymore.

Lets just say word of mouth is that Hammer was devastated when he found out Gauthier wouldn't sign him for the fair deal he was offering. He wanted to remain a hab. Apparently he did what he did for his family but is upset because he's settled in Montreal and actually loves the city. Apparently many in the locker room miss him as well because he was a well liked player here.

I only found this out recently and it made me quite upset knowing Hammer wanted to be here big time and Gauthier wouldn't just give him the extra year. I support PG but to me it's kind of classless. He gave everything to this city, and no more than ever we see how badly our team needs his presence. He was overworked here and may have looked bad at times but he's a solid D. Biggest mistake.

If only we could convince Washington to trade him back now. I know we have some D developing who needed the room but I just feel bad for Hammer knowing he really did want to stay, and not like he's a bad player either.
Stupid GM who does not have his pulse on the team.

The value of popular and competent role players can never be underestimated.

ie. You find a way to KEEP them, Gauthier.

Closed Thread