HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What Are The Options For Head Coach?

Old
10-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
Would you hire someone in Washington that don't speak english?

Anyway on that note I don't care if the next head coach don't speak french.
Not really the same. The coach's job is supposed to be to communicate to the players, not people writing newspaper articles.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:38 AM
jwolf

vCash: 500
Martin Raymond? Quite a bit of coaching experience - albeit only 2 years as assistant at the highest level - and part of that new breed, Guy Boucher click. Is he not ready yet? Whatta ya reckon?

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:40 AM
gusfring

Lemaire GM
Robinson Coach

Appeal to their loyalty to the franchise.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:41 AM
ClasslessGuy

Tremblay, Réjean Tremblay

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Im shocked that none of you nominated yourselves or other fellow posters.

You guys seem to know more than a 15 year NHL coach.

Dont be all talk, throw your hat in the ring!
A 15-year NHL coach that hasn't won anything in his career despite coaching some potent Ottawa teams.

Sure there, buddy.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:03 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Who would the players want as coach? I think if they come out flat on Saturday the message is: they don't want Martin. Has JM lost the locker room?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Who would the players want as coach? I think if they come out flat on Saturday the message is: they don't want Martin. Has JM lost the locker room?
Honestly, we have some players with some skills in this team. Cammalleri for example. In what Cammalleri should like Jacques Martin ? He is a goal scorer and that system don't give him the opportunity to reach his goals potential.

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Bob Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
Tremblay, Réjean Tremblay
The dream team:
GM Réjean Tremblay
Coach Bertrand Raymond

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Karl Pilkington

We need an English coach

Not from England, but like, someone who does not speak French as a first language, someone who can barely say "bonjour" and "merci".

This is not another "Fire Martin" thread, but mods if you feel the need to merge please do so. As well, this is not in any way intended to be a knock on Francophones, this is an argument as to why a purely English coach would be best for the success of our team.

It comes down to emotional attachment and pressure. I grew up in Ontario and went to a totally francophone school. We were not allowed to speak English in the halls, my band was not allowed to use the equipment or gym because we sang English songs. My experience at this school impressed upon me, and along with other experiences with many of my francophone friends and their families, that many Quebecquois take ownership of each other. They are so bonded by their shared experience of culture that they relate to each other on a very deep level and sometimes this can be a very bad thing, for example in instances where someone in the Quebecquois society goes against the grain, or does things that are not desirable to the society and gets hate for it.

How does this relate to the coaching situation of the Montreal Canadiens? My point of view is that a by installing a French speaking coach the media and fans, particularly those from Quebec, feel an intense emotional attachment to this person, to the point that they feel like they ARE that person, that this person should be thinking like them, making the same decisions as they would, and when this does not happen there is an equally intense emotional reaction. So Jacques makes decisions people don't agree with, as most coaches do, but people can't get over it because they are so attached to him as a person due to the fact that they identify him as a francophone, as brethren, and therefore when he does not meet their expectations the frustration and anger is much more intense.

By hiring an English coach this whole thing would be turned on its head. There would be uproar, an emotional firestorm. This coach would be insulated from most of the media because half of the media would no longer identify so strongly with this person so the emotional firestorm and uproar would be blow in every direction and eventually dissipate with no singular target at which to direct the emotion. At first it would be bumpy, but if this coach were to begin to experience success a lot of the immediate mistrust would go away, and due to the fact there is less of an emotional attachment the questioning of decision making would become less severe, and trust could actually be gained.

My question with all of this is why does this organization - The Montreal Canadiens - an internationally recognized brand allow the media to determine the success of their product? I realize most of the media in Montreal is French, but I'd argue that there are more English speaking Habs fans than French-only speaking habs fans. This whole thing of hiring bilingual staff is not conducive to Team success, which is the key driver of Organizational success in a sports league. The media controls this team. Hiring an English coach would put the media/particular fans in their place and give some breathing room to this team to perform. Not to mention the quality of English only speaking coaches available compared to bilingual coaches (Kirk Muller...).

The language someone speaks, where they are from definitely are factors in determining the details of a person's personality. But in the end it doesn't matter where you're from, what language you speak, what colour your eyes are.. seriously.. we are all the same. If people want to hold onto their oppressive ideas then so be it, we are only oppressing ourselves by holding onto such details and promoting them to such enormous importance in our evaluation of each other.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:16 AM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie007 View Post
So I'm officially on the FIRE Jacks Martin campaign. But the only question is who do we replace him with?

Larry Robinson? Proven winner and Habs legend but I just feel maybe we should go younger. Not sure if he wants the job anyways.

Jacques Lemaire? Proven winner on crappy teams but his style is similar to Jacks and we're losing with this so called system.

Patrick Roy? Won't take losing as easily as Jack but inexperienced.

Kirk Muller? Can he speak French?

Denis Savard? He seemed to did a pretty good job with the Hawks young team before he was let go.

Guy Carbo? Again? maybe he learn something? ... or not.

Perry Pearn? As an interm-basis?

Randy Cunneyworth? Last year head coach in Hamilton.

Others?
How about Michel Therrien or Mario Tremblay?

I personally would go with Captain Kirk, the players really respected him and I think would play better for him. Plus our PP was much better with him as coach.

Get Muller to take some french lessons and maybe hire a francophone assistant coach. I don't think the coach needs to necessarily be french-speaking, but must be willing to learn to speak french, like Bob Gainey did.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:20 AM
ymorin007*

Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
What about Patrick Roy head-coach and Mario Tremblay his assistant :-)

ymorin007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:32 AM
juve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
How about Michel Therrien or Mario Tremblay?

I personally would go with Captain Kirk, the players really respected him and I think would play better for him. Plus our PP was much better with him as coach.

Get Muller to take some french lessons and maybe hire a francophone assistant coach. I don't think the coach needs to necessarily be french-speaking, but must be willing to learn to speak french, like Bob Gainey did.
Why is it so important to learn French? He's a coach, not a politician. His job is to win games. They don't even speak French in the locker room. This is the reason why we have been so mediocre for the past 20 years.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:34 AM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Forgive my ignorance as a fan of... another team.

But if you do decide to make a change behind the bench, shouldn't you go with the best coach available and not necessarily the one that speaks the best French?

It just seems like such a non-issue to me.
Most of the media is French, it would be very hard to communicate with them if all you speak is English.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:35 AM
stubbadub

Due to the fact = Because.

I fully agree. My friend's dad who is from Quebec City has the exact same view as you. He wants Captain Kirk as coach asap. Can't stand how boring Martin is in ever aspect.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:36 AM
juve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Most of the media is French, it would be very hard to communicate with them if all you speak is English.
Who gives a ****! The point of hockey is to win games!

Old
10-21-2011, 10:36 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

I' pretty sure that even if a english coach were to be hired and spoke english it wouldn't matter, his decisions would still be judged by fans. I just want the best coach available. Period.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:39 AM
76ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
Who gives a ****! The point of hockey is to win games!
They are covering the team. They should be able to speak with the man directly responsible (usually) for the team. It's just a courtesy to be able to speak French, and like others said, if you aren't good with French, learn it. You're in Quebec, learn the language at your own pace, but at least make an effort.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:41 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

someone who does not speak French as a first language, someone who can barely say "bonjour" and "merci".

Pipe dream

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Melvin Udall

[QUOTE=[B]habitants19;38247397[/B]]yah.......Pierre, Jacques and Perry just need to go away......they've worked together forever....they were in Ottawa....never won nothin

Every coach we get......Therrien, Vigneault, Julien...go on to become pretty good coaches, we just always get rid of them before they prove it with us. Jacques has been around forever and won absolutely nothing.....there is a reason for that people.

================================================== =============
I agree that the coaching staff took the Senators nowhere - also - consider that both Gauthier and Timmins were in Ottowa prior to coming to the Habs.

Although I don't think Martin is much of a coach I will say that the reason the other coaches you mentioned had success elsewhere is because elsewhere gave them some player talent to work with - Gainey and Gauthier have given their Habs coaches nothing to work with.

Habs have to find a competent GM and rebuild their scouting staff.

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:42 AM
juve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
They are covering the team. They should be able to speak with the man directly responsible (usually) for the team. It's just a courtesy to be able to speak French, and like others said, if you aren't good with French, learn it. You're in Canada, learn the language at your own pace, but at least make an effort.
Have the media translate it and put subtitles. The coaches job is to make sure the team wins, not appease the French media/people. This is the reason why we have been so mediocre for who knows how many years because we limit ourselves.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:43 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I still remember the day they fired Claude Julien

I thought it was a big mistake; I knew it would come back to bite us in the ass

THat season we had a great start, I think we were leading the EC,then a slump, but it wasn't Julien'S fault, but the party boys'

Old
10-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Bill McNeal

If only the Habs had enough money to hire a translator...

As long as the team keeps up this backwards practice of limiting the talent pool from which they can choose their head coach, I don't see any better options out there currently than Martin. The fact that the team knowingly handicaps themselves this way is far more frustrating than anything Martin, Carbonneau or any of the coaches over the past decade have done.

Imagine looking for buried treasure on a 100 acre piece of land, all the while competing against 29 other treasure hunters. The problem is you only allow yourself to look in a one acre segment of that land. On top of that, the 29 other hunters are allowed to look for the treasure on your acre as well (hello Tampa!).

It's completely asinine.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:46 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Damn, I would love to have Lindy Ruff as a head coach

One can dream

Old
10-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Chant View Post
I think Roy would be great, at least we know he will tear the team a new one if they play like last night. What's Alf going to do? Nothing but put us to sleep with his system.
How do you know JM didn't 'tear the team a new one' last night?

I know coaches who are demonstrative on the bench is appealing to fans because it gives them the impression they're doing something about a team underperforming, but in reality, it means little and actually, most often, shows the coach can't control his emotions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
If only the Habs had enough money to hire a translator...

As long as the team keeps up this backwards practice of limiting the talent pool from which they can choose their head coach, I don't see any better options out there currently than Martin. The fact that the team knowingly handicaps themselves this way is far more frustrating than anything Martin, Carbonneau or any of the coaches over the past decade have done.Imagine looking for buried treasure on a 100 acre piece of land, all the while competing against 29 other treasure hunters. The problem is you only allow yourself to look in a one acre segment of that land. On top of that, the 29 other hunters are allowed to look for the treasure on your acre as well (hello Tampa!).

It's completely asinine.
Agreed 100%

It blows me away actually...not sure what language has to do with sports, but it's a reality only the Montreal Canadiens play in and they'll always be behind the 8 ball as long as this persists

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 10-21-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Merged
417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
A 15-year NHL coach that hasn't won anything in his career despite coaching some potent Ottawa teams.

Sure there, buddy.
ALot of people are throwing around names of people that have not won anything either. The coaches who "win" and have "won" stay where they are generally. Lets go back to rookie coaches, which we vowed never to want again 2 years ago. Or take washed-up coaches like Hartley who won a cup with 10 hall of famers 10 years ago. Oh and those Ottawa teams who never won, does Lalime ring a bell? Prusek? 40 year old Hasek? Emery?

But hey, forget the facts, its a lynch mob.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote