HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

'IF' 1 of big 3 go....

Old
10-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
If we lose more than one, I think it would be a prime opportunity to change the organizational philosophy. Now, given Poile's 30 year track record, I know that nothing will change, but it should.

The team has been built on drafting, stockpiling, developing defensive prospects. Defenders who can skate well and move the puck well. Then we add some low cost forwards, some are good two-way players, some are good PKers, some are energy/grinder/pest types. Others are younger guys who are low risk (SK, Bergfors) to add offense or be waived. Others are more veteran types who are not going to provide a big bang, but will shore up the forward depth and don't cost much.

I'm thinking we've done this whole thing backwards now. The better way to run a team on a budget is to draft heavy at forward and rely on solid vet d-men. You increase your chances of adding stud scorers, even if they leave town in 3-5 years. You have more room for error as well because there are twice as many forward positions so you can more easily manipulate line matchups and cover weaknesses. On defense you have trusty proven vets, none are going to be superstars, but you might get lucky on the odd draft pick here and there. But if you had guys like Devries, Zanon, Boullion, Zidlicky, Lilja etc on your 3-7 spots, you would be doing pretty good.

Goaltender doesn't really have to change, as long as Mitch Korn is around a team succeed with starters like Chris Mason and Dan Ellis. It's all about getting hot in the playoffs anyway, which almost any goalie can do.

So basically it's a numbers game, go with a sure thing on defense where roster errors are more obvious and you don't have as much time and/or ability to let kids develop. And then take your risks at forward, if you end up with 3 out of 12 top tier players, you have a chance (anaheim). That's a 25% success rate on forwards vs the 33% success rate we needed to end up with Suter/Weber.

It's not like we'll ever know, and i'm not saying don't draft/develop Defense and Goalies, just that the focus should probably be on forwards. And of course if we end up keeping all 3, and some guys like Wilson, Smith, Beck, Watson, Geoffrion are who they need to be, then i'm happy as anyone else to be wrong.
Poile will need to be canned IF 2 of the 3 walk away & all we keep is Pekka

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:42 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
Poile will need to be canned IF 2 of the 3 walk away & all we keep is Pekka
I'm almost thinking we let Lindback play more and possibly re sign the defenders and let pekka go in a move to get us a star forward. I think Lindback is real deal but we will only know after more playing time.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:59 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faktion View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1009591
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1009751

CHI's and DET's views on the matter.

$3.5 for Suter? (LOL)
Not sure if you're referring to my post or not, but I know there is no chance in hell that Suter goes for anything under $5M next year. I'm thinking if he goes to an average, fringe team, that he can get $6M+ easily, and if he wants a legit Cup contender, he might have to settle in the $5.5 range. When I mentioned $3.5M, I was just referring to this year, since someone else had mentioned us making an offer for him (can't see it happening, since I'm positive you'll be in the playoff mix again, so no need to deal him).

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Faktion
#balsilliecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Not sure if you're referring to my post or not, but I know there is no chance in hell that Suter goes for anything under $5M next year. I'm thinking if he goes to an average, fringe team, that he can get $6M+ easily, and if he wants a legit Cup contender, he might have to settle in the $5.5 range. When I mentioned $3.5M, I was just referring to this year, since someone else had mentioned us making an offer for him (can't see it happening, since I'm positive you'll be in the playoff mix again, so no need to deal him).

Misunderstanding on my part. Sorry about that.

At this point, the playoffs look like a long shot.

The fail is in full effect.

Faktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:39 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Misunderstanding on my part. Sorry about that.

At this point, the playoffs look like a long shot.

The fail is in full effect.
I probably could have worded it better.

It's very early, and nothing major has changed from previous years roster or staff wise. Unless I missed something? While the WC is tough, I'd hardly say it looks like a long shot this early. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Dallas, Colorado, and Minnesota. While I think Colorado is vastly improved, they have issues with an extremely injury prone goalie, and I don't think the other two are playoff contedners.

Not confident management will make a move, after Trotz's cry for roster help last night?

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Faktion
#balsilliecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Not confident management will make a move, after Trotz's cry for roster help last night?
Milwaukee call-up...?

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think there's going to be any big roster moves.

Faktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:34 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Milwaukee call-up...?

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think there's going to be any big roster moves.
At this point, a major roster move would be desperation.

It's unfortunate that we've had so many opportunities over the last 5 years to make a major roster move with the assets we had, and now that Poile's feet are close to the fire, that might be the only thing that gets him to do something. Unfortunately, desperation moves rarely work out...

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote