HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#05 | New York Islanders vs. Tampa Bay Lightning | Oct 20 | L 1-4

Old
10-21-2011, 07:53 AM
xECK29x

vCash: 500
Holy ****, it's the first game after a 4 day layover, first roadtrip of the year for the first time this team is playing on good ice. Chill the **** down HFBoards.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
This is a pretty good analysis. Wonder what steps Caps will take against this development? Seems like its 'the plan' to have the five guys crashing fairly deep in the defensive zone.
It's a personnel problem. We all know this. We've screamed about it all offseason. Capuano could come out with plans that may work one game, but not another. The point is inconsistency is to be expected because of our personnel. To skewer players for lack of effort is just wrongheaded. To skewer the coach for not addressing the problem is similarly wrongheaded. It's on GMG.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
This one clearly lands on the coaches.

This team had 4 days off and should have come out with fresh legs and been flying. Instead, they came out flat and looked like they'd been drinking beer for the last four days and lounging around the pool.

Same problem on opening night. Big layoff between any games and they come out flat. After a couple of games, they played much better. Be curious to see if they're much crisper tomorrow.
Last night's game definitely reminded me of opening night. And then what happened? They won the next 3 in a row. Look, I'm not trying to sugar coat ******* here. There have been problems with certain players on this team since the first game of the season and those problems haven't gone away. But most of the roster looked good in games 2-4, so I'm not going to panic just yet.

Besides, we know this team had shortcomings going into the season. If they make the playoffs (and that has always been a big IF), most of us were not delusional enough to think that they'd finish any higher than 7th. So despite last night's dismal effort, they still are what they are; a team that while improving, is still inconsistant and still has room to grow. This is probably not the last time this season that we see the team play like this, but the key is to not allow this type of play to continue over multiple games as it did last season. Let's see how both the players and the coaching staff react to last night's game and let's see how they come out against the Panthers. In the very least, I'm hoping for a replay of Game 2 of the season.

Last edited by Strummergas: 10-21-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:17 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Last night's game definitely reminded me of opening night. And then what happened? They one the next 3 in a row. Look, I'm not trying to sugar coat ******* here. There have been problems with certain players on this team since the first game of the season and those problems haven't gone away. But most of the roster looked good in games 2-4, so I'm not going to panic just yet.

Besides, we know this team had shortcomings going into the season. If they make the playoffs (and that has always been a big IF), most of us were not delusional enough to think that they'd finish any higher than 7th. So despite last night's dismal effort, they still are what they are; a team that while improving, is still inconsistant and still has room to grow. This is probably not the last time this season that we see the team play like this, but the key is to not allow this type of play to continue over multiple games as it did last season. Let's see how both the players and the coaching staff react to last night's game and let's see how they come out against the Panthers. In the very least, I'm hoping for a replay of Game 2 of the season.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:00 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
I love the all or nothing schizo mentality on this board.

After every win, we're a gritty, gutsy, up-and-coming young bunch of spitfires on our way to being the next Dynasty.

After every loss, everyone but Tavares is horrible and could be outplayed by those of us in Over 30 beer leagues.

Tampa's a damn good team, probably top 3 or 4 in the conference. We didn't exactly get beaten by the '92 Senators

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:17 AM
LateNightOilerFan

The most important thing about this game is seeing how they respond to it. There are going to be losses, the key is to not let them turn into losing streaks. We'll see how the team responds vs Florida.

Tampa was going through a 5 game losing streak, they had a lot to prove to themselves and they've been working hard in practice to get their crap together. The season series so far between the Isles and Tampa is a draw, with each team looking pretty complacent in each of their losses to each other.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:55 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
I love the all or nothing schizo mentality on this board.

After every win, we're a gritty, gutsy, up-and-coming young bunch of spitfires on our way to being the next Dynasty.

After every loss, everyone but Tavares is horrible and could be outplayed by those of us in Over 30 beer leagues.

Tampa's a damn good team, probably top 3 or 4 in the conference. We didn't exactly get beaten by the '92 Senators
Tampa played a 5 man defensive unit game to cover up the weaknesses of their individual defensemen, and they played it well. The forwards got back and supported the D men, kept their gaps, and worked hard in all zones waiting for transition chances.
What was disappointing was the the Isles had no answer for them, did not rise to the challenge. No matter how it is catagorized, they could have made a smarter, stronger effort, even when faced with a determined, more desperate, and more talented team.
Florida was shut out last night and we were embarrassed. We should be up for a battle on Saturday.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

What I want to see in the future:

MM-JT-PAP
Grabs-Neilsen-Nino
Martin-Bailey-Okposo
Pandolfo-Reasoner-Comeau/Rolston

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:10 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycop View Post
For everyone clamoring for Nabakov, don't forget that 'The thing that wouldn't leave' is skating again and is on this trip. Don't be surprised to see everyones favorite goalie make an extremely ill-timed start at some point.
I'm everyone then, cause he's my favorite goalie on the team.

And I said in my previous post, I want to see DP and Nabby.

So I'm happy with both sharing a role.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Words Of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
What I want to see in the future:

MM-JT-PAP
Grabs-Neilsen-Nino
Martin-Bailey-Okposo
Pandolfo-Reasoner-Comeau/Rolston
Agreed i'd love to see that as well.

Words Of Wisdom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:34 AM
HookeyPookey*

game was the left hook you never see coming after our terrific efforts in our last two games this kind of performance was just not expected, guess it's first game on the road but argh frustrating.

To be fair Rangers I thought outskated us alot when it was actually 5v5 the win against the Wild was a fluke we go dominated from pillar to post and got lucky and the TBL win was actually awesome, probably just got a bit ahead of ourselves.

Thought Montoya was OK you cant just blame the goalie or you start acting like the Canucks. TBL is just quietly one of the most offensively diverse teams in the league. Sure they have an out form period but quality is quality.

Last edited by HookeyPookey*: 10-21-2011 at 10:42 AM.
HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:08 AM
crashthenet

Okposo belongs on a milk carton.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:13 AM
camper

Msg didn't catch it but the tampa tel. did. Hedman tried to play tough guy on the play before wiggle'in his gloves for Martin to go on the whisle. On Msg you could see Martin smile'in at the ref. Next play when Martin checked Hedman in the corner/broke his stick and dropped a glove, Heddy was not so steady. I am a think'in the ref give Marty the go to drop the *****.No Penalty

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:16 AM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPookey View Post
game was the left hook you never see coming after our terrific efforts in our last two games this kind of performance was just not expected, guess it's first game on the road but argh frustrating.
Who never saw this coming? Middle-of-the-pack teams put up stinkers every now and again, especially on the road. Right now thru five games we've seen two stinkers -- pretty much the going rate for this caliber of team.

Until the 2nd and 3rd lines show a pulse, expect the trend to continue.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:24 AM
HookeyPookey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Who never saw this coming? Middle-of-the-pack teams put up stinkers every now and again, especially on the road. Right now thru five games we've seen two stinkers -- pretty much the going rate for this caliber of team.

Until the 2nd and 3rd lines show a pulse, expect the trend to continue.

But on recent form, stand by what I said no one expected this kind of an effort, if you look early in the thread there is quite optimism.

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Words Of Wisdom

IF Cappy switches up the lines next game, what changes do you guys think will be made?

Words Of Wisdom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:38 AM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPookey View Post
But on recent form, stand by what I said no one expected this kind of an effort, if you look early in the thread there is quite optimism.
Well then those blind optimists have short memories.

Optimism was high at this time last year too, going into a winnable road game against Florida. Lost a tough one that night...

...and the season was over.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Hershey Hockey

We've seen two games where everything went right, two games where a lot went wrong, and one game where they played average and snuck out with a win. If we can pull a win against Florida and start strong for the six game stretch we have thereafter I think we'll be in good shape.

Last edited by Hershey Hockey: 10-22-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:18 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares 91 4eva View Post
IF Cappy switches up the lines next game, what changes do you guys think will be made?
MM-JT-PAP
Grabs-Nilsson-Rolston
Comeau-Bailey-Okposo
Martin-Reasner-Pandolflunfgren

I don't see even this happening. It should. Rolston will likely stay on Bailey's wing. I'd like to see those guys work their issues out as there's no other option other than Gillies coming in - which I'll defend as Gillies was even put on line 1 to face Hedman.

I was proud of Cappy even addressing it - though it was one shift. If/When PAP is replaced, it better be a big/mean mofo for this very reason. Tavares can handle himself - but he shouldn't have to. PAP might come in to defend but I don't think Moulson can/will. That said, Moulson combines well with JT. So? The 30 goal left wing stays and until that imaginary day when the Isles get a big scoring winger who can hit (and has eight aviary reindeer pulling his car everywhere), so does PAP.

Unless they can train Comeau to hit and fight and use his size - which will happen in a gym somewhere on a sunken island with superhumans.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:28 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Seems like we are trying to minimize a loss here. It's one thing to lose b/c the team is outclassed in talent/outskilled (in terms of offense, Tampa is superior), but it's another when the team plays apathetic and doesn't even give themselves a chance to win with that effort. That kind of flatness is unacceptable, despite personnel, age, inexperience; we are raising the bar here (even as fans, in terms of our expectations), so we can expect a better game-by-game effort. Over the first 2-3 years of this rebuild, output like this could be justified "young teams are inconsistent," but at this stage NYI is accountable for putting forth a balanced effort, even if they may not be the most talented bunch.

Of coarse the team will not always be 100% consistent in their effort or be at PEAK intensity, both unrealistic, there's latitude/fluctuation; these are human beings that operate individually within a system. However, it's not asking much to see some degree of intensity on a gamely basis; and frankly, we haven't seen that.

Last edited by BelovedIsles: 10-21-2011 at 02:37 PM.
BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Last night's game definitely reminded me of opening night. And then what happened? They won the next 3 in a row. Look, I'm not trying to sugar coat ******* here. There have been problems with certain players on this team since the first game of the season and those problems haven't gone away. But most of the roster looked good in games 2-4, so I'm not going to panic just yet.

Exactly.

This game against Tampa is a game that teams who are in the upper third of the league a sure lock for the playoffs win.

We aren't there yet.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:35 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
MM-JT-PAP
Grabs-Nilsson-Rolston
Comeau-Bailey-Okposo
Martin-Reasner-Pandolflunfgren

I don't see even this happening. It should. Rolston will likely stay on Bailey's wing. I'd like to see those guys work their issues out as there's no other option other than Gillies coming in - which I'll defend as Gillies was even put on line 1 to face Hedman.
rolston looked so lost when he was with grabs last game. I think he doesnt have the energy to work together with these guys...perhaps martin does though...

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote