HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Trade or Tanking ?

Old
10-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Backes?
ding ding ding! we have a weiner!

Price + Subban for Backes. May as well forfeit the next 4 seasons & just get the picks.

Canadian_Brewtality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Neither. Way too soon. Besides, we will win the next 2 and everything will be fine for some in Habsland. 'Cause we will win, that's a gimme.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:03 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
ding ding ding! we have a weiner!

Price + Subban for Backes. May as well forfeit the next 4 seasons & just get the picks.
No but Backes for PK would be a start? Not putting Price there, beside they have Halak.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
No but Backes for PK would be a start? Not putting Price there, beside they have Halak.
The Habs and the Blues wouldn't make that deal IMO. The Habs need Subban a lot more then the Blues in the long cause they have Pietrangelo which is a reason they moved EJ last year + I doubt they would want to move their captain.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:14 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
A big trade just takes the problem and moves it around.

Tanking means setting yourself up for future success if you draft well.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
A big trade just takes the problem and moves it around.

Tanking means setting yourself up for future success if you draft well.
Yup, Keep the young players on the roster and Pleks, Gionta and Cammalleri, the rest can be had (Gomez, Spacek, Gill, Moen, Cole) not that I expect much in return but try and move those players

Old
10-21-2011, 11:17 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
A re-build, When we've already got Subban, Price, Pacioretty and Eller with the team?
Yes, the habs has not one PPG player.. And outside those player who else is worth talking about? With the kind of prospect the Habs have, they won't be anything more than a 5th seed in the Eas, IMO. That's why I think just one year of sucking would be good for the team. 1 step back to make two step forward.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:18 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
The Habs and the Blues wouldn't make that deal IMO. The Habs need Subban a lot more then the Blues in the long cause they have Pietrangelo which is a reason they moved EJ last year + I doubt they would want to move their captain.
I understand this, but it was the type of player I was more pointing out. Backes is a PF that plays center, Tavares is an Elite talent and the Getzlaf, Perry are just what we need and I'll take Bobby Ryan too.

Old
10-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Again, not that I am for or against anything right now, again, too soon to tell. Yet, I'm just amazed at that "YOU CAN'T TANK IN MONTREAL" yet, it seems you can't reach the finals in 18 years.....how's that more acceptable? Oh and while there would be tons of boo-birds all over, if there's a time you CAN tank it's now. 'Cause it's jam packed at the Bell Centre with tons of people waiting for tickets. 'Cause if RDS isn't willing to get the rights to the games when their contract ends, there's TVA Sports who will take the risks 'cause in the end, the supposed incredible and really bad tanking might only happen for 2 years. 2 years of tanking, with some 1st round and 2nd round picks additions along the way, with the upcoming 2012 and 2013drafts? That would be more than enough to get that team going. Add the upcoming guys in Juniors and you have a force to be reckon with in no time (hoping you also have addressed your coaching and management issues).

Yet, it's not the time to take that decision. Not after 5 games makes no sense. And the tanking approach also makes no sense at that time of the year, you don't bail out like that. But when comes trade deadline and you're 10 points out of it, I don't see the problem. And don't think that adding a Niklas Sundstrom for a 2nd round pick will fix everything.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 10-21-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
I think if this season fails (judged at the end), you have to at least think about moving proven, valuable players like Pleks and Cammy for unproven assets with high potential who will improve at or near the same rate as our young core players (PK, Eller, Price, Patches, and "safe" prospects like Leblanc, Bournival, Gallagher), allowing for a shortened rebuild.

If Washington doesn't get to the cup finals, I think they'll be done with Semin. If, at the same time, we determine that our foundation has too many cracks, then I'd like to see:

Cammy, Pleks, Tinordi/Weber/Kristo
for
Semin(UFA), Kuznetsov, COL 1st (assuming they finish in the bottom 5, as predicted)

It's an extremely high risk move (we'd have plenty of cap space but absolutely need to get Semin signed), but it allows us to get younger, more dynamic and potentially returns 3 first line players.

Wash would want to win now and have expiring contracts which allow them to add two proven first line players (and PO performers) for two prospects and an unwanted UFA.

Imagine in 3-4 years, when the Gomez, Gionta, Cole contracts expire:

Patches - Grigorenko/Galchenyuk - Semin
AK - Eller - Kuznetsov
Bournival - Leblanc - Gallagher

UFA?2013 1st?Tinordi? - Subban
Beaulieu - Gorges
Emelin - Diaz

Price
I'm pretty sure Washington owns Colorado's 1st round pick because of Varlamov

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I understand this, but it was the type of player I was more pointing out. Backes is a PF that plays center, Tavares is an Elite talent and the Getzlaf, Perry are just what we need and I'll take Bobby Ryan too.
Backes was the player Gauthier should have targeted when the Blues called for Halak and I'm a huge Eller fan

Old
10-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan2992 View Post
I'm pretty sure Washington owns Colorado's 1st round pick because of Varlamov
The trade he proposed is with Washington

Old
10-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Backes was the player Gauthier should have targeted when the Blues called for Halak and I'm a huge Eller fan
He probably did but I'm sure he was untoucheable.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:30 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
that's my guess.
I'm saying trade everyone but c'mon, ddoooooooooooo something PG

Old
10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Quote:
that's my guess.
I'm saying trade everyone but c'mon, ddoooooooooooo something PG
Then he had no reason to trade him with the draft 2 weeks away. Teams would have talked to the Habs if they knew Halak was available. Also the Blues at the draft traded Rundblad to the Sens, they had 2 1st round pick. If Gauthier was a little more patient IMO we could have gotten what we wanted or at least a pick or even another prospect along with Eller

Old
10-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Quote:
The trade he proposed is with Washington
sorry just woke up, my bad

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Funny about this tanking business seeing how Winnipeg, Columbus and San Jose seem to have an iron stranglehold ahead of us.

Ollie Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Not to mention they also have Shattenkirk.

Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo (combined) > Subban, easily.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Then he had no reason to trade him with the draft 2 weeks away. Teams would have talked to the Habs if they knew Halak was available. Also the Blues at the draft traded Rundblad to the Sens, they had 2 1st round pick. If Gauthier was a little more patient IMO we could have gotten what we wanted or at least a pick or even another prospect along with Eller
There were a ton of goalies on the UFA and trade market that summer...the closer it got to July 1st his value could have dropped.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:56 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
A coaching change during the season is not "tweaking".
The season just started, so yes it is a fantastic idea.

Last edited by PunkinDrublic*: 10-21-2011 at 12:09 PM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Fire martin, hire a coach that will light a fire under their *****, and we will be a much better team. No need to "tank" or make a big trade. When our injured players come back its equal to a big trade without giving a single asset away.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Miller Time

Tanking is ridiculous, and not something any team actually does unless it's a financial issue (and even then, the team doesn't exactly "try" to not be competitive, they just end up with a roster not able to compete... much like our late 90's early 2000's habs)

a big trade would be welcome, imo, but only if it meant unloading players like:

Gomez
Spacek
Cole...

yes, Cole... and no, not just because of the slow start, but because from the get-go I thought we paid too much and gave him too much term. Only way his deal would make any sense is if he came in and fit in perfectly, which he hasn't, and while there is a chance that he'll eventually get comfortable and find some chemistry, there's almost equal chance that he doesn't (see his Edmonton experience).

If there was a deal to be made, I'd rather pull the trigger on it now, than wait to see what happens down the road when the "cards" (contract, term, previous experience outside of Carolina) seem stacked against him having success here.

otherwise, absolulety way i'd want to see the team deal any picks/prospects/young players for some short term attempt to bolster the roster, even if it looks like we are sliding out of playoff contention come december/january.

if that happens, much rather see the team doing the opposite, moving some UFA's to be or players not deemed part of the future for quality prospects/picks.

I'd also consider offers on Cammalleri... I like him, but he seems like an expensive commodity given he has only really given the team what was expected from him in the two playoffs (and yes, stepping up in the playoffs is a valued commodity, but his regular season inconsistency and one-dimensional contributions make him tradeable imo).

but I'd only move him if the return was substantial

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:07 PM
GordonGraham

Get rid of Gill , spacek, gionta, camalleri , wanna get rid of gomez too but no one will ever bite on that one get young guys/draft picks

Build around Price, pk, pacioretty,eller......

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Davebo
beep beep

We don't tank. We do either great, or just bad enough to miss the playoffs. You can't tank in that market!

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:14 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
We don't tank. We do either great, or just bad enough to miss the playoffs. You can't tank in that market!
It should be the easiest market to tank in, so what if 2000-3000 season ticket holder get pissed there are 10 000 on the waiting list willing to take their spot

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote