HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

#6 Kings @ Coyotes 10/20/11 - POST GAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS ‎

Old
10-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Vinh

vCash: 500
Great game last night. Quick continues to impress and the fourth line had its best outing of the year. As was expected, the middle of the ice (Kopi, Richards, Stoll) was stellar and led the way in all areas and situations.

I'm one of the folks on the East Coast who started watching more Kings games as a result of the Richards trade and they seem to play at a much quicker pace than I recall in past seasons. It's been really entertaining.

Dallas should be a test on Saturday.

Vinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I agree, but it will really suck for the kings if they move out of the pacific division. Our travel sucks enough as it is.

My guess is that Colorado joins the Pacific Division. Winnipeg takes Colorado's vacated spot.

Moving East will be either Nashville (they'd join that South East Division) or Detroit (this would screw everything up!).

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
My guess is that Colorado joins the Pacific Division. Winnipeg takes Colorado's vacated spot.

Moving East will be either Nashville (they'd join that South East Division) or Detroit (this would screw everything up!).
Possibly, but that still increases their travel. Was hoping that Dallas would leave the pacific and we'd get Vancouver. Still a long flight but at least it's the same time zone.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
This just can't continue - it's just embarassing for the NHL. With the December "deadline" to have new PHX ownership, if this doesn't happen, the Coyotes need to be put up for sale to be moved ANYWHERE - before next season.
They should try a season playing 1/2 their home games in Phoenix and 1/2 in Vegas.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Possibly, but that still increases their travel. Was hoping that Dallas would leave the pacific and we'd get Vancouver. Still a long flight but at least it's the same time zone.
Here's the best case scenario:

The Phoenix Coyotes are transformed into .......

The San Diego Conquistadors!!!

EDIT: The Vegas Knights?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:15 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
You nailed it with that analogy.

Adam Proteau wrote an article about the Kings (great read) in the july issue of The HOckey news . The article 'Carpe Diem' (a tatoo that MR sports) was about what a terrific player he and what he'll bring to the Kings, furthering their Cup quest
He brought out your same point stating that what happened to Mike Richards and the Flyers trade and the media was like 'when a stunning woman breaks up with you and you invent/embellish things about her to make yourself feel better because she'd not around anymore'
And that best defines it...

What the Kings are starting to feel and act on is the Mike Richards effect. Something he's been doing on every team since he's been 10 years old and winning championships in the process. It's that he plays with equal parts inspiration/desperation/perspiration , i.e. all balls and heart. When the players on the bench see him bust out like that on a shift , most of them will want to try to live up to that standard when their leg goes over the bench.
And it works...
You add his high hockey IQ and on ice vision, and give him skilled players to team with and it's a recipe for sucess
Look at the change in the PP...his vision and confidence with the decisions he makes creates a ripple effect and the others play more confident because of that.
So it's not all Kompon's genius?

Last edited by kingsfan: 10-21-2011 at 12:21 PM.
kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Picture from Hammond, two minutes into the game:

They were guessing about 4,000 of the 7,128 sold tickets showed up.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:16 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLord View Post
Just came from work and watched the game it was beautiful win.I choose to listen Yotes announcer on NHLgamecenter.
I was very pleased in 3th 4:33 to the end when he said for KINGS attack to their goal:This is FIVE ON FIVE GAME, THIS IS NOT POWERPLAY and then I realise how GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
team we are. Have nice day !
GO KINGS GO GO KINGS GO GO KINGS GO GO KINGS GO (sorry for language I'm from SLO)

Welcome to HF. Go Kings indeed!

Old
10-21-2011, 12:22 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

That red dress code worked well. Can't see half the crowd

Old
10-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Chris43

Quote:

It was really nice though! No lines and no traffic afterwards! I got back to school in Tucson in under 2 hours!

Chris43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:25 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I think it's sad when a Junior A game in Brandon, Manitoba, with a population of about 55,000 people, can regularly draw 5,000 people to the actual game, yet an NHL team in a city of 1.4 million (larger if you count areas outside of Phoenix itself) can't.

Move them to Portland or Vegas or Quebec.

Old
10-21-2011, 12:25 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The Philly media and fans have already turned from hating Richie to hating Hartnell. Briere, JvR and Jagr aren't far behind. Briere has been just awful with high sticking penalties, JvR signed an extension this summer and has barely produced and Jagr still hasn't scored. Bryz was booed last night and apparently looked lackadaisical while play was going on late in the game. There's also an interview a Russian newspaper did with Bobrovsky in which he says he and Bryz have a professional relationship and that's it. Bob sees himself in contention for the #1 job and sees the two of them as rivals. We'll see what happens between them as the season rolls along.
It's only a matter of time before that team starts to eat each other from within again. They keep getting rid of good players and saying they solved it, but it keeps getting worse. I'd like to see what happens if they go on a losing streak.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:27 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
It's only a matter of time before that team starts to eat each other from within again. They keep getting rid of good players and saying they solved it, but it keeps getting worse. I'd like to see what happens if they go on a losing streak.
What happened in 2006-2007 when they won just 22 games and finished 2nd last? I don't recall, but I'd assume that would be a good comparison.

Old
10-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
What happened in 2006-2007 when they won just 22 games and finished 2nd last? I don't recall, but I'd assume that would be a good comparison.
that was mainly due to injuries though if i remember right. Since they drafted JVR, then the same team made the playoffs the next year

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:38 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLord View Post
Just came from work and watched the game it was beautiful win.I choose to listen Yotes announcer on NHLgamecenter.
I was very pleased in 3th 4:33 to the end when he said for KINGS attack to their goal:This is FIVE ON FIVE GAME, THIS IS NOT POWERPLAY and then I realise how GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
team we are. Have nice day !
GO KINGS GO GO KINGS GO GO KINGS GO GO KINGS GO (sorry for language I'm from SLO)
That's from that Kopitar-Williams-Gagne shift when they had 3 nice chances, right? That shift was amazing.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:45 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
My little Flyers history lesson lol:

It was actually last place and while I don't think last was expected, after firing the coach and the resignation of the general manager, that season didn't look too promising. Richards and Carter were just coming up and Forsberg was hurt all the time. Next year they bring in Briere, Hartnell, Timonen, Upshall, Lupul, and Biron and guys like Umberger start to flourish.

It looked really good at that point. The team looked great together and they looked like the Kings right now where they just went out and enjoyed playing with each other.

Then the next year, all these rumors start to come out that the younger players are drinking and not taking things seriously. Richards is made captain probably before he was ready, but I don't think that was the big problem. They lost Umberger then traded Upshall halfway through the season.

Then they traded Lupul, Sbisa(1st rounder) and 2 1st round picks for Chris Pronger and that's when the real division began.

So it's my personal opinion that the Flyers locker room went to **** after some bad decisions by the GM and some nasty rumors by the media.

Honestly what reason can you find for trading a young captain off a team who came two games from a stanley cup the year before (including coming back from a 0-3 series defecit)? Even the Coyotes announcers last night were confused by it.

Still while I loved the Flyers, I can't stand seeing them do stuff like that to their players and see an organization run that way. So I'm happy Mike is with the Kings now because outside of that run in 2010, he looked miserable over there. Like everything bad that happened was his fault.

Old
10-21-2011, 12:54 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I agree, but it will really suck for the kings if they move out of the pacific division. Our travel sucks enough as it is.

As for the game, I thought that Penner had a pretty strong effort. There's just something about him though that looks lazy, especially when he's out of gas. Guess it's because he's just a big dude so it's noticeable when he's not moving. In any case, I saw a lot of hustle out of him last night and I hope he gets rewarded soon with some goals.
Maybe they could be moved to Vegas, Seattle or Portland. After that the pickings get pretty slim for a team out west. Maybe the league just needs to fold 2-4 teams one of them being Phoenix, move Dallas to the Central Division and Colorado to the Pacific.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Still while I loved the Flyers, I can't stand seeing them do stuff like that to their players and see an organization run that way. So I'm happy Mike is with the Kings now because outside of that run in 2010, he looked miserable over there. Like everything bad that happened was his fault.
That's what being captain of an NHL team will do to you. Look around here and you will see the Brown hate. A lot of people want him on the 3rd line and keep trying to make moves to push him out of the top 6.

All he does is produce and people want more because he is the captain. If he wasn't the captain, he wouldn't get as much hate. Philly just takes it to another level.

Now that Mike doesn't have a letter, he can just have fun and play hockey. He's intense and the Kings are playing with some swagger now. Richardsí enthusiasm and work rate is contagious.

Let's hope it continues and the Kings don't have their 10 or so game slumps this season.

Old
10-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Maybe they could be moved to Vegas, Seattle or Portland. After that the pickings get pretty slim for a team out west. Maybe the league just needs to fold 2-4 teams one of them being Phoenix, move Dallas to the Central Division and Colorado to the Pacific.
You really think the NHLPA will accept 50-100 jobs lost?

Old
10-21-2011, 01:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
You really think the NHLPA will accept 50-100 jobs lost?
Depends. Economic realities are after all "real". You don't operate a franchise that is losing tons of money just to save 23 jobs.

I think if the league really wants to be "healthy", they should contract 2-4 teams that are in markets where it isn't working and institute actual revenue sharing the way the NFL does it. You have to keep some kind of salary floor in place to force owners to field competitive teams in that case.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:12 PM
jml87

Quote:
That's what being captain of an NHL team will do to you. Look around here and you will see the Brown hate. A lot of people want him on the 3rd line and keep trying to make moves to push him out of the top 6.

All he does is produce and people want more because he is the captain. If he wasn't the captain, he wouldn't get as much hate. Philly just takes it to another level.

Now that Mike doesn't have a letter, he can just have fun and play hockey. He's intense and the Kings are playing with some swagger now. Richards’ enthusiasm and work rate is contagious.

Let's hope it continues and the Kings don't have their 10 or so game slumps this season.
Everyone expects their captain to be Yzerman or Messier. Unfortunately, captains are given the C younger and younger all the time and people get confused when they are automatically not a veteran, leadership force just because of a letter sown on his chest.

Mike has won on every level and he's captained the championship winning World Juniors team that had guys like Sidney Crosby on it. He knows how to lead, but there was no settling in period. He gets one year and suddenly Pronger is brought in to "help" him.

Philly wants every captain to turn into Bobby Clarke. What people seem to forget is that during Clarke's run he had Bernie Parent standing behind him, not Mike Leighton or Martin Biron.

I love seeing Jonathan Quick back there. The players don't have to worry about a puck accidentally bouncing in from the blue line.

Old
10-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

No teams will be folded. They have an already established hockey hungry market in Quebec City and an NHL ready arena in KC. If the Coyotes do leave Phoenix they are almost surely going to one of those two places.

As for re-allignment, the Red Wings want to move to the Eastern Conf and have for years. The Blue Jackets and Predators would also like to move to the East. Nashville is the least likely to move because they are in the Central time-zone where as Detroit and Columbus are in the Eastern time zone. There are also objections from the Red Wings going east by many other western franchises who are guaranteed a sell out every time Detroit comes to town. But the league loves original six matchups as they are big ratings draws on both sides of the border and that may be enough to push the Wings east, as it would increase the amount of Orix Six vs. Orig Six matchups. This is straight from the mouth of someone who works in their front office

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:43 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

sad really.

I just don't get why west coast can't support professional teams. We whine about east coast bias all the time, but those guys will have 3 teams within hours drive of each other and be able to sustain them with sellouts.

Even California, which has one of the biggest economic markets in the world, can barely sustain 3 hockey teams. Anaheim doesn't do very well at all and they have a cup.

And I don't buy history, Kings are among the oldest teams in the league and we still struggle with ticket sales. Granted, right now we're doing well, but it wasn't that long ago we weren't.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
sad really.

I just don't get why west coast can't support professional teams. We whine about east coast bias all the time, but those guys will have 3 teams within hours drive of each other and be able to sustain them with sellouts.

Even California, which has one of the biggest economic markets in the world, can barely sustain 3 hockey teams. Anaheim doesn't do very well at all and they have a cup.

And I don't buy history, Kings are among the oldest teams in the league and we still struggle with ticket sales. Granted, right now we're doing well, but it wasn't that long ago we weren't.
Depends on the sport and depends on the location. Vancouver is west coast and has no problem supporting the Canucks. LA has no problem supporting the Lakers, Angels & Dodgers. They'd also have no problem supporting a football team either if the NFL would ever bring a team back.

It all boils down to how accessible the sport is to play, IMO. The more accessible it is to play, the more it will be played, loved, and supported. Hockey's just not that easy to play in teh southwestern united states, hence the tepid support.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:

Well, to be totally fair, Hammond should have waited until the 10:00 or 12:00 mark to take a picture.

2 minutes in, I would bet that more folks were still in the parking lot.

But it surely wouldn't have made THAT much difference... but still.

Staples doesn't really get all folks in their seats until 6 - 8 minutes into the game.

Last edited by Butch 19: 10-21-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo
Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote