HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hartnell Needs To Redefine Role

Old
10-21-2011, 11:39 AM
alx83*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I don't want to trade him (yet), so I don't think I would come up with a truly fair proposal. You should make a couple offers (maybe one focused on futures, and maybe another with a roster player coming back plus some cap relief). He would look good on the Ducks though. Can you imagine the wear and tear they could put on opposing d-men in a 7 game series with all those big forwards.
I know, the Flyers fan side of me doesn't want to see him go either.

I think, realistically, it would be some type of cap relief deal so the Flyers could go after someone at the deadline if need be. Now that he's back with Briere, that could all change. He might start playing great again. But if he continues to get these small minutes, I'd definitely see it as a cap relief deal.

We've got Kurtis Foster whose cap hit comes in at 1.8 million, with a year left on his contract. We've also got Beleskey who would be redundant on our roster, he's a solid grinder. We had high hopes for him after his solid campaign alongside Getzlaf and Perry, he's got a booming shot, but so far he's played like a 4th liner with limited offensive output. I'm sure Murray would be willing to put any draft pick except a first in play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Would love to have Sbisa back. But doubt that gets it done. How about Brandon McMillan and a prospect?
I'll go back to my earlier point here, I think the only way we'd go about a deal is if you guys were looking to dump him for cap relief and draft picks.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:00 PM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Would love to have Sbisa back. But doubt that gets it done. How about Brandon McMillan and a prospect?
Yeah, neither of them are going anywhere. It would just create another whole in our team. I can't really see what Philadelphia would want back, we don't have much to offer other than picks. We are not going to trade our highest prospects (Etem, Schultz, Palmieri, Holland, Vatanen, Gibson, DSP) and our other prospects probably don't look too good in your eyes (Beleskey, Sexton, Bonino, Clark...).

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Yeah, neither of them are going anywhere. It would just create another whole in our team. I can't really see what Philadelphia would want back, we don't have much to offer other than picks. We are not going to trade our highest prospects (Etem, Schultz, Palmieri, Holland, Vatanen, Gibson, DSP) and our other prospects probably don't look too good in your eyes (Beleskey, Sexton, Bonino, Clark...).
Hartnell is giving me nightmares with his play on the ice but your avatar isn't going to help..yikes..WTF!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Not one of your top 7 prospects is in play for a current NHL player with a solid track record? That probably wouldn't get a deal done if it were up to me at all.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:56 PM
alx83*

Quote:
Not one of your top 7 prospects is in play for a current NHL player with a solid track record? That probably wouldn't get a deal done if it were up to me at all.
I think most Ducks fans expect every one of our prospects to pan out for some reason. In reality, I'd say that Palmieri and Holland are the two untouchables for us. It makes the most sense because Palmieri has been tearing up the AHL and he'll most likely be counted on for second line duties next year. Holland is another guy that we're hoping can make the jump to the NHL to center one of our scoring lines. The rest would be hard to get. That being said, Hartnell is 29 years old. I'd certainly be willing to deal guys like Bonino, Deschamps, Sexton, etc., who all have a reasonable chance of making the NHL. But like I was saying earlier, I think if anything, Hartnell would be moved for cap space and a 2nd round pick and a "B" prospect would be acceptable.

Old
10-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMilli View Post
Alright... I don't want to bother with any of the idiots on the main board. So I'm going to just bring the question over here.

Hypothetical situation: Hartnell is getting traded to Anaheim.

What are you guys getting back?
Can we get Dan Sexton back?

His grin is so suggestive.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:01 PM
alx83*

Take him. Please.

Old
10-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I think most Ducks fans expect every one of our prospects to pan out for some reason. In reality, I'd say that Palmieri and Holland are the two untouchables for us. It makes the most sense because Palmieri has been tearing up the AHL and he'll most likely be counted on for second line duties next year. Holland is another guy that we're hoping can make the jump to the NHL to center one of our scoring lines. The rest would be hard to get. That being said, Hartnell is 29 years old. I'd certainly be willing to deal guys like Bonino, Deschamps, Sexton, etc., who all have a reasonable chance of making the NHL. But like I was saying earlier, I think if anything, Hartnell would be moved for cap space and a 2nd round pick and a "B" prospect would be acceptable.
Was Bonino the guy who had a decent play offs for you last year? He seemed like a serviceable bottom line guy with a little skill in his game also if that's who I'm thinking of (scored an OT winner if I recall). I would probably do a trade for him and a 3rd, depending on how much he makes and how much longer he is an RFA for (this is just going off of watching him play last play-offs, I have no idea what his stats look like at any level).

Old
10-21-2011, 05:47 PM
alx83*

No, I think you're thinking of McMillan. He's going to be the future of our checking line with Smith-Pelley though. Bonino is a guy who just hasn't been able to put it together yet. He's got great passing and instincts, he's just a terrible skater. If he can fix that part of his game, he'll be a decent third line center in the NHL.

Old
10-22-2011, 12:13 AM
alx83*

Beleskey
2nd Round Draft Pick

Hartnell
Sestito

It'd be great if we could get another, big, physical bottom six winger in the trade for Hartnell, hence the addition of Sestito. I'm not sure how high the Flyers are on him, so don't jump on me too bad.

Old
10-22-2011, 07:08 AM
jb**

what are they really going to miss if they can move hartnell? this is somewhat of a transition year anyway. hartnell is not going to be the diff inthem winning or losing. if they have a taker, you move him. just dont take on a bad contract in return unless the player is a free agent at years end.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 07:29 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandals View Post
what are they really going to miss if they can move hartnell? this is somewhat of a transition year anyway. hartnell is not going to be the diff inthem winning or losing. if they have a taker, you move him. just dont take on a bad contract in return unless the player is a free agent at years end.
Take Jason Blake from us?

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 07:54 AM
jb**

Quote:
no albinos allowed. add in a 1st, then sure.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
No, we only need D prospects or a recallable goalie.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:53 AM
VanSciver

Here is the issue with Hartnell as I see it. How Pre Season and Camp went, dictated how the Flyers have used their personnel so far. They have Hartnell in a spot where he was used as a veteran presence on a young line. That's not a good situation for Hartnell. For one his Hockey sense isn't that high. What Hartnell is, is a crasher and a banger. He works the corners and plays physical, and crashes the net. He needs to play with a line that gets the puck deep and to the net. That's the only way he'll be effective in my opinion. This is not an excuse for Hartnell, he hasn't played well. And regardless of who he plays with, he'll have to play better. But it's hard to have everyone in a perfect spot.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:

Beleskey
2nd Round Draft Pick

Hartnell
Sestito

It'd be great if we could get another, big, physical bottom six winger in the trade for Hartnell, hence the addition of Sestito. I'm not sure how high the Flyers are on him, so don't jump on me too bad.
I think Sestito could be had. I don't think there is room for him on the Flyers.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I like Hartnell - someone on here mentioned how Simmonds has taken a lot of his minutes, and Simmonds deserves to. I like having Hartnell around if nothing else, for depth when injuries hit. But I do agree, you don't need your second highest paid forward playing on the 3rd or 4th line.

What kind of demand would there be for him? Would Holmgren have to do a Hartnell + 2nd rounder for Matt Walker type of player?

Old
10-22-2011, 03:11 PM
alx83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I like Hartnell - someone on here mentioned how Simmonds has taken a lot of his minutes, and Simmonds deserves to. I like having Hartnell around if nothing else, for depth when injuries hit. But I do agree, you don't need your second highest paid forward playing on the 3rd or 4th line.

What kind of demand would there be for him? Would Holmgren have to do a Hartnell + 2nd rounder for Matt Walker type of player?
Hell no. I'm sure there are some teams, like Anaheim (or at least like a fan like me ), that would be happy to have Hartnell for a draft pick.

Old
10-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Hell no. I'm sure there are some teams, like Anaheim (or at least like a fan like me ), that would be happy to have Hartnell for a draft pick.
I like Hartnell and think he is a solid player, but I wasn't sure if his contract was prohibitive. I'd be tempted to trade him for picks, just to shed salary for future contracts (like Coburn and Carle).

Old
10-22-2011, 03:50 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Lets see how hartnell plays tonight they say he will be reunited with Danny Briere if he still plays like **** then he's out of here i think......

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

"Hartnell fails to get the puck in deep"

how many times do we need to hear this over the course of the year before he does something

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Screw trading Hartnell, you guys want Bryz back?

Old
10-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Screw trading Hartnell, you guys want Bryz back?
In the words of Mr Freeze... Chill.

Season not over. If it is, FAIL FOR NAIL!

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
In the words of Mr Freeze... Chill.

Season not over. If it is, FAIL FOR NAIL!

You relax yourself, a guy can crack a joke.

Old
10-22-2011, 08:52 PM
smacklby

Hartnell's new role: trade bait: what can we get back in return for him in trade?

smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote