HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2011, 02:32 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I'd say Dumba is more dynamic, but Rielly is the all-around better defenceman.
I'd say it's absolutely rediculous that these guys will be going mid-late lotto. This draft is amazing

Old
10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
PGCougarsDynasty

Could this guy get an invite to the junior camp? If he keeps up his early pace and continues to be solid defensively ( +6 in five games I believe, albeit he is playing on a very solid team). It seems as though he has improved tremendously from last year and could set himself apart from the Dumbas, Reinharts, and Pouliots of the dub. I know it's early but I'll bet he'll be a top 5 pick in the draft when all is said and done.

Check out this beauty: http://whl.ca/video/index/id/1317917695, just skip to about :40

Old
10-06-2011, 03:01 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGCougarsDynasty View Post
Could this guy get an invite to the junior camp? If he keeps up his early pace and continues to be solid defensively ( +6 in five games I believe, albeit he is playing on a very solid team). It seems as though he has improved tremendously from last year and could set himself apart from the Dumbas, Reinharts, and Pouliots of the dub. I know it's early but I'll bet he'll be a top 5 pick in the draft when all is said and done.

Check out this beauty: http://whl.ca/video/index/id/1317917695, just skip to about :40
I doubt it.

Old
10-06-2011, 03:12 PM
PGCougarsDynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I doubt it.
Why not? Two seventeen year old defenseman were invited last year

If it were to happen this year, that defenseman would have to come from the dub, and so far (ya its only been five games.....) Rielly has stood out.

Old
10-06-2011, 03:20 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Why not? Two seventeen year old defenseman were invited last year

If it were to happen this year, that defenseman would have to come from the dub, and so far (ya its only been five games.....) Rielly has stood out.
Well I guess an invite is possible, but there is no way he makes the team at this point.

Dumba might be a different story, especially if the team loses Ryan Murphy to the NHL for good.

Old
10-06-2011, 03:36 PM
PGCougarsDynasty

Quote:
Well I guess an invite is possible, but there is no way he makes the team at this point.

Dumba might be a different story, especially if the team loses Ryan Murphy to the NHL for good.
Ya I'd agree that if either were invited it would be to compete for a power play position; and your right in saying Murphy makes both redundant. However, if it came down to picking Dumba or Rielly for a spot on a team I'd take Rielly right now. I'm convinced, for some reason, that he is the better of the two.

I'm just hoping I'll be at the game when Moose Jaw travels to Edmonton.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:14 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

I just finished watching Moose Jaw playing in Edmonton and Rielly comes as advertised. Unbelievably shift skater, his ability to set a tempo is unreal from the backend. He can slow it down or speed it up at the snap of the fingers. He just needs to refine his ability to read plays. He'll get the puck from A to B no problem, but when it comes to making a play at the net, he or his teammates have some troubles finishing. He's a pretty sublime player though. You could just see his skillsets are far and away the best on the ice. I see a lot of Phil Housley in his game. I wonder if a team would be tempted to try him on the wing. He was the most dangerous player on the ice when it comes to the rush....and he's a defenseman.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:26 AM
dream catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
I just finished watching Moose Jaw playing in Edmonton and Rielly comes as advertised. Unbelievably shift skater, his ability to set a tempo is unreal from the backend. He can slow it down or speed it up at the snap of the fingers. He just needs to refine his ability to read plays. He'll get the puck from A to B no problem, but when it comes to making a play at the net, he or his teammates have some troubles finishing. He's a pretty sublime player though. You could just see his skillsets are far and away the best on the ice. I see a lot of Phil Housley in his game. I wonder if a team would be tempted to try him on the wing. He was the most dangerous player on the ice when it comes to the rush....and he's a defenseman.
just based on offensive talent, how does he compare to Ryan Murphy the best offensive defenseman in last years draft?

Old
10-20-2011, 12:33 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream catcher View Post
just based on offensive talent, how does he compare to Ryan Murphy the best offensive defenseman in last years draft?
They are pretty comparable. I think Rielly is a little more dependable is his own zone, a little thicker frame and a better stick in his own zone. Murphy has a better shot. Problem that Rielly has is Moose Jaw doesn't have a lot of players that think the game at high speed like he does. Moose Jaw is filled with bigger players that like to bull stuff over, which creates room for him, but doesn't help him when the puck needs to get into the net. Moose Jaw is pretty much the WHL version of Nashville. Most of their best players are on the backend.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:39 AM
dream catcher

Quote:
They are pretty comparable. I think Rielly is a little more dependable is his own zone, a little thicker frame and a better stick in his own zone. Murphy has a better shot. Problem that Rielly has is Moose Jaw doesn't have a lot of players that think the game at high speed like he does. Moose Jaw is filled with bigger players that like to bull stuff over, which creates room for him, but doesn't help him when the puck needs to get into the net. Moose Jaw is pretty much the WHL version of Nashville. Most of their best players are on the backend.
thanks for the info

Old
10-20-2011, 02:30 AM
puckfan13

Letang is who he reminds me of. Just has to up the physicality a bit.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:53 PM
PGCougarsDynasty

Quote:
Well said. I watched Rielly once last year and my eyes popped out of my head, and that was when he was 16. I'd be interested to see what he could do on a team like Portland. If he were only a bit more aggressive physically ( he's got the pounds ) he could challenge Murray for top defenseman in the dub.

Old
10-20-2011, 01:58 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Well said. I watched Rielly once last year and my eyes popped out of my head, and that was when he was 16. I'd be interested to see what he could do on a team like Portland. If he were only a bit more aggressive physically ( he's got the pounds ) he could challenge Murray for top defenseman in the dub.
I see why Rielly excels in tournaments and not so much in Moose Jaw. Moose Jaw has a team that is built on defense and physically dominating teams, while Rielly does his waterbug thing. There isn't enough of Rielly type of players on Moose Jaw to thrive like he could. He's kind of a round peg trying to fit in a square hole. I'll be interested to see if Moose Jaw acquires some speed and hands at the deadline to help Rielly out. Rielly is a pretty unique talent. Rielly actually would be a good pick for the Oilers as long as Gernat and Marincin keep developing like they are.

Last edited by DangerMan: 10-20-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old
10-21-2011, 12:11 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Letang is who he reminds me of. Just has to up the physicality a bit.
Dumba compares more to Letang then Rielly does.

People don't realize the edge that Letang plays with in his game. The guy plays angry.

Old
10-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...all-place.html

Dean's write up after Wednesday's game.

10-21-2011, 01:54 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...all-place.html

Dean's write up after Wednesday's game.
Interesting thoughts on Reinhart. I've seen the same of him...struggling at times. Yet Dean doesn't think it's holding him back at this point?

I think it is.

Old
10-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Interesting thoughts on Reinhart. I've seen the same of him...struggling at times. Yet Dean doesn't think it's holding him back at this point?

I think it is.
He likes Reinhart more than I do. I'm still of the belief that I haven't seen the best of him yet and the waiting for him to start playing to his potential is frustrating.

Old
10-21-2011, 03:31 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
He likes Reinhart more than I do. I'm still of the belief that I haven't seen the best of him yet and the waiting for him to start playing to his potential is frustrating.
I have been one of Reinhart's biggest supports and I am still waiting, too. I loved what I saw last year and this year he seems to have taken a step back in every area, except his offense.

His skating seems worse and his defense seems clumsy. Not sure what's going on and because of that, I have Dumba 100% ahead of him now (wasn't the case for me last season) and Rielly is right there beside Griff.

Hoping he turns it around soon.

Old
11-12-2011, 09:14 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Kid tore his ACL on Saturday night.

Just like Galchenyuk, his draft ranking is likely to slip a couple of spots.

Very tough break for a kid who is still a potential top 10 pick.

Old
11-13-2011, 12:40 AM
bsmith14

thats unfortunate, any news on if he will be back at all this year?

Old
11-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Kulemon

This draft is amazing... even more amazing is that teams in the 10-14 range could get a potential star player, especially with the possibility of kids dropping a couple of spots due to injury.

Old
11-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I'll definitely keep an eye on this guy.

11-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Kid tore his ACL on Saturday night.

Just like Galchenyuk, his draft ranking is likely to slip a couple of spots.

Very tough break for a kid who is still a potential top 10 pick.
don't wory the leafs will get something finally

Old
11-13-2011, 04:00 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
thats unfortunate, any news on if he will be back at all this year?
Highly unlikely.

Old
11-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Rielly potentially done for the year

2012 draft eligible Morgan Rielly could potentially be done for the year after injuring his knee in a game against the Calgary Hitmen on November 6th. Surgery is scheduled for next week in Vancouver and then it'll be months of rehab for the Moose Jaw defenseman.

Quote:
“He had an MRI done last week that is usually required in a knee injury to get a full picture of the knee,” Warriors director of hockey operations Alan Millar told James Gallo. “You have to get a good look at the knee in terms of what damage has or hasn’t been done.”
http://futureconsiderations.ca/riellys-season-in-doubt/

Didn't see a thread on this so please merge it if you'd like mods.

Closed Thread