HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Good Cheap Replacement Blades

Old
10-21-2011, 03:42 PM
KingNothing4

vCash: 500
Good Cheap Replacement Blades

Anyone know a good/strong replacement blade for relatively cheap? I play outdoors on painted cement so they wear down kind of fast. I play pretty hard and really lean into my slapshots and have snapped the cheap blades in one session a few times (once was after 3rd shot ). I was hoping to find a 3pk if possible. I have a Reebok 6k shaft with 6k blade from couple yrs ago that I like, but I don't see it on hockeymonkey... The new 6k is $50 and the 2k is $21, not sure if the 2k is any good. I don't care what company it is either, as long as they have a curve I like. I have the Hamrlik curve and love it, loved the CCM Recchi curve too. I'd like to get something $30 or less (per blade) if possible...

Edit: I see lot's of cheap blades, but have no idea which ones are any good...
Edit2: The Rbk 2k has gotten some good reviews on hockey monkey.

Last edited by KingNothing4: 10-21-2011 at 04:06 PM.
KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:18 PM
ponder

If you play outdoor on cement you might want to look into an ABS blade. Not great performance wise, but they're what I've always used for any sort of hockey on cement, much more durable than wood or carbon blades when playing on a rough surface. The Rbk 2K you mentioned is an ABS blade, but CCM, Easton, Koho and Sherwood all make ABS blades too. The Rbk 2K is probably a good choice (it's the old Koho 2100 I think), as is the CCM Crossover (which is just the Koho Crossover), though it's a bit pricier.

Last edited by ponder: 10-21-2011 at 04:28 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:26 PM
AIREAYE

I swear ponder, you lurk these boards too much; always getting here before me haha.

Long story short:

Easton ABS (any generation)
CCM Crossover (stronger, better performance but a bit over your $30)
Reebok 2K

The Crossover is probably your best bet. The ABS and wood core is reinforced in th eouter layers with more durable fibreglass.Much better performance than your standard ABS blades.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:40 PM
KingNothing4

For ABS it looks like CCM CrossOver $38 (good reviews), Rbk 2k $21 (good reviews), Sherwood 5100 $19 (1 good review), Easton Synergy ABS $18 (used 2, both were junk, reviews were mixed).

Anyone have experience with the Rbk, CCM, or Sherwood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I swear ponder, you lurk these boards too much; always getting here before me haha.

Long story short:

Easton ABS (any generation)
CCM Crossover (stronger, better performance but a bit over your $30)
Reebok 2K

The Crossover is probably your best bet. The ABS and wood core is reinforced in th eouter layers with more durable fibreglass.Much better performance than your standard ABS blades.
Be worth the extra $17 per blade over the 2k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
...The Rbk 2K is probably a good choice (it's the old Koho 2100 I think), as is the CCM Crossover (which is just the Koho Crossover), though it's a bit pricier.
That's what I saw on the reviews so both sound like good blades, just not sure if the CCM is worth the extra $ over RBK...

Last edited by KingNothing4: 10-21-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old
10-21-2011, 04:51 PM
AIREAYE

Yes in my opinion, since you're really torquing your blade and putting your weight into it, the better stability would definitely be worth it.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:07 PM
KingNothing4

Ya, think I will probably try both, but pretty sure I'll end up liking that CCM better. Is it much different than the old Vector, probably a bit better? Those were my favorite blades when I played often, still have one in my Aluminum Easton 4805 VFlex for my back up stick haha.

Old
10-21-2011, 07:40 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The joys of being a grad student - always on the computer, often procrastinating on hfboards

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:49 PM
mhkehoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNothing4 View Post
Ya, think I will probably try both, but pretty sure I'll end up liking that CCM better. Is it much different than the old Vector, probably a bit better? Those were my favorite blades when I played often, still have one in my Aluminum Easton 4805 VFlex for my back up stick haha.
The CCM Crossover is the KOHO Crossover, so might not share much in common with older CCM blades.

Crossover is easily the best ABS blade, but with the cost being so high, I just suffer with the torqueing blades since it is just pickup roller.

The 2K (old Koho 2100) is a good blade, it will bend with heavier pucks and when it wears down, but it doesn't break that easily.

The Sherwood is an okay blade. Don't take too many slapshots, it isn't that strong where the wood meets the ABS, it will often tear through the fiberglass laminate. Feels like it may torque a little less than the 2K, but I think it might have a shorter blade.

Easton ABS is awful. Has the same problem as the Sherwood, but also delaminates from normal use. To make it worse, the ABS inside cracks very easily once the supportive fiberglass delaminates.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 05:11 PM
KingNothing4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkehoe View Post
The CCM Crossover is the KOHO Crossover, so might not share much in common with older CCM blades.

Crossover is easily the best ABS blade, but with the cost being so high, I just suffer with the torqueing blades since it is just pickup roller.

The 2K (old Koho 2100) is a good blade, it will bend with heavier pucks and when it wears down, but it doesn't break that easily.

The Sherwood is an okay blade. Don't take too many slapshots, it isn't that strong where the wood meets the ABS, it will often tear through the fiberglass laminate. Feels like it may torque a little less than the 2K, but I think it might have a shorter blade.

Easton ABS is awful. Has the same problem as the Sherwood, but also delaminates from normal use. To make it worse, the ABS inside cracks very easily once the supportive fiberglass delaminates.
Ya that's why I want to try both, see if the 2k can hold up or not, if not than the Crossover will definitely be worth it. Tried those Easton ABS blades and god those things were horrible. A chunk fell out of the toe of each blade pretty quickly. I think both lasted like 2 sessions, then I smashed them on the ground until they broke, out of anger haha.