HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Need a Laptop Under $500

Old
10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Upon further thought, I've decided to go against buying a computer off Amazon as who knows what there return policy will be, or replacement policy would be if something goes wrong.

I've narrowed it down to three choices, all Toshiba...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....centerwell.jsp

If that link does what I want it to do, it will link to the compare screen on bestbuy that I'm looking at, if not, here's a link to the three machines:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Matrix+Graphite/3167208.p?skuId=3167208&id=1218382028060

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+...=1218354838088

(the first two are virtually the same)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+14%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Blue/2809477.p?skuId=2809477&id=1218353393671

I can't say how much I appreciate all the help so far everyone

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 07:52 AM
neofury*

At this point you have all good choices, to me it's more-so about you narrowing down which one has specs you prefer at this point.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:02 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Don't buy that if you want to do any gaming on it (beyond solitaire, minesweeper, online flash games and such). Those Intel graphics chips are horrible for games. If I were you (and assuming you want to game), I'd go with the other Toshiba (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...g=prodrevis-20), which has the AMD Radeon HD 6520G graphics chip.
Like I said above, when we're talking 500$ laptops the graphics is a crap shoot. Google that card it's no better/worse than the normal crappy Intel HD and if it is it's extremely marginal, like I said when purchasing a 500$ laptop GPU shouldn't even be a thought as they're all entry level crap that generally works similarly. Like we're talking 1fps of difference here. This should not be a deciding factor. Now if we're talking two 999$ laptops one with the GT540m, one with the Intel HD, obviously then it becomes a serious factor. All 500$ laptops have integrated, even that AMD Radeon HD 6520G is just an integrated with a fancy name. Or even if we're talking GT540m vs GT555m I'd try to get the 555m obviously.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...G.55734.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-H...0.37948.0.html

As you can see it's a crap shoot. It depends a lot on the other hardware picking up the slack for a **** GPU in general.

Terrible advice imo to tell somebody to take one laptop over another based on that, I say whichever has the better overall specs outside of the GPU with a 500$ laptop is better. Once we start talking about integrated vs not integrated it's another story.

Quote:
My mistake. I missed where you said that.

The point was that it's better than the other option.
Taking a downgrade on processor and HDD space for like a 0.5% better integrated card isn't "better than the other option", going based off what the OP said that's what it would be. Why trade an i3 for the AMD processor just to have another integrated which is marginally better at best.

Last edited by neofury*: 10-06-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old
10-06-2011, 01:33 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Really? Have yet to see a laptop under 500 that can run any game even at low settings. Then again it's different in the US price wise.

EDIT: Sorry should have specified ANY game
well not any game but warcraft, startcraft 2, gta, etc run on most laptops at medium quite easily. if you want high def and max settings, yeah dream on.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:55 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
if you don't want high def and max settings you can still get a solid laptop under 500 that runs any game at medium settings.
Define "any game"? Even the new ones? I think not.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury

As you can see it's a crap shoot. It depends a lot on the other hardware picking up the slack for a **** GPU in general.

Terrible advice imo to tell somebody to take one laptop over another based on that, I say whichever has the better overall specs outside of the GPU with a 500$ laptop is better. Once we start talking about integrated vs not integrated it's another story.
The Amazon listing said simply "HD Graphics" for the GPU and mentioned the "Sandy Bridge" family for the CPU, so I went with the benchmark scores for "HD Graphics (Sandy Bridge)," which are about 40% of the scores for the listed AMD GPU (hence why I emphasized one being much better than the other). That turned out to be an older GPU than the one in the given laptop, however, so I was wrong. I wish that you would've shown me a bit more respect and given me the benefit of the doubt by more gently pointing that out to me, though. We're not competing against each other for the best advice, afterall. We're all trying to help each other out, which is what I was trying to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Like I said above, when we're talking 500$ laptops the graphics is a crap shoot.
That's not necessarily the case. I bought a new laptop (direct from Toshiba) for $550 two years ago that had a dedicated graphics chip with dedicated memory. It blew away the other solutions around the $500 mark, so the extra $50 was well worth it. True, it's not exactly $500 or less, but it's very close and anyone considering a $500 laptop with gaming in mind should realize that just a little bit more might get them significantly better gaming performance.

Last edited by Osprey: 10-06-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:14 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Bit off topic but i was also looking at laptops, and came accross the Dell Insiron 15R just like you did. What exactly was wrong with the one they sent you, and did they refund your money etc?

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:56 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
Bit off topic but i was also looking at laptops, and came accross the Dell Insiron 15R just like you did. What exactly was wrong with the one they sent you, and did they refund your money etc?
Right out of the box first time I turned it on the screen was flickering, never constant. It would always happen on the log-in screen and usually after I logged on it would stop, but sometimes it didn't.

My trackpad felt...just downright terrible. Sluggish would be a good way to describe it.

I liked the way they keyboard was laid out but it felt flimsy to me.

I've been buying Dells my whole life and that one shipped computer to me has at least for right now led me to try another brand.

As for the refund, it is currently on it's way back to Dell via UPS, I'll have the money back in my account when they get the computer, will update again when that happens.

Old
10-09-2011, 11:47 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

I've narrowed it down to two...they're very similar with some differences, which one would you buy?

L755-S5214

L755-S5217

Old
10-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I've narrowed it down to two...they're very similar with some differences, which one would you buy?

L755-S5214

L755-S5217
They just look like two different colors of the same computer, to me.

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:05 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
They just look like two different colors of the same computer, to me.
Differences (5217 listed first):

High-definition widescreen LED-backlit TFT with TruBrite technology (1366 x 768) VS High-definition widescreen TFT-LCD with TruBrite technology (1366 x 768) [display type]

Drive speeds not specified VS 6x DVD+R DL; 6x DVD-R DL; 8x8x8 DVD+RW; 8x6x8 DVD-RW; 5x DVD-RAM; 24x24x24 CD-RW [optical drive speeds]

Intel HD VS Mobile Intel HD [graphics]

Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector) VS Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN [networking]

___________________ VS Wi-Fi (wireless capability)

EDIT (updated requirement)

The only current PC game I'm thinking about playing will be the new MMORPG Star Wars game, will either of these computers be able to successfully run that? I'm leaning towards no chance but am prepared to be happily surprised

Last edited by silverfish: 10-09-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old
10-09-2011, 01:52 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Define "any game"? Even the new ones? I think not.
and what new ones do you speak of? do your research. I'm not talking about a crappy $350 laptop. A $600 laptop can run any game. Not max but at least run it

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
no chance
4char

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:23 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
4char
Buying from bestbuy, is there any way I can upgrade the graphics card?

Feel free to say no, my grades and girlfriend will greatly appreciate it hahah

EDIT -

I posted the same question in a TOR message board and got an answer from a poster there that included all of this...

Quote:
Link below is for an A6 laptop, the CPU frequency is 1.4 ghrz, but at that still performs over the 2.0 GHRZ minimum processors for AMD, so you will be fine, and the integrated 6520G built on the APU die is far superior to the Intel HD graphics and will allow you to achieve much better settings. For your budget, it's among the better you will find, and outperforms the Intel HD graphics by a mile.

Laptop is $425, quite a good deal at that price and will hold you over until your next purchase down the road.

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-NV55S0...8188992&sr=8-1

Two links below will give you idea of APU vs Intel HD graphics for games, scroll down to the bottom where they have FPS benchmarks, the APU performs far better than the HD intel graphics.

The computer he linked me too will sacrifice the intel i3, but save me a little bit of money.

Coming back to you guys because you've been here from the start, what are your thoughts on this?

Double edit -

Thing is, even if I get that game I really won't have anyone to play it with, so, unless that Gateway is a better overall machine than the Toshiba's I've been linking, then let's stick with the Toshiba - and I'll focus more on gaming in my next buy.

thoughts?

And again, I can't say how much I really do appreciate all the opinions and help/research. I really wish I wasn't such a noob with this stuff.

Last edited by silverfish: 10-09-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old
10-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

You cannot upgrade the GPU in a laptop like that.

Old
10-09-2011, 03:35 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
You cannot upgrade the GPU in a laptop like that.
Never mentioned how much I love your avatar. Dinklage is the man in GoT, he's going to have such an epic season 2

Last edited by silverfish: 10-09-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old
10-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I was thinking of getting this for basic computer needs (Word, Excel, Internet) along with some CAD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834157822

Would that be good?

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

A challenger appears? Or stay away because it's "recertified" ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834131168

Old
10-11-2011, 07:14 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Dell received my computer on October 7th, refund will take up to 10 business days to process...going with the Toshiba Satellite S5214 as the winner...

Just want to thank all you guys again for the help and I can't wait for my money to get back to me so I can order my beautiful new machine

A little upset I won't be able to get SWTOR but nobody I know IRL will be getting it so that helps take the sting away...why get an MMO if you can't play with people you know?

Thanks again everyone!

Old
10-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Dell received my computer on October 7th, refund will take up to 10 business days to process...going with the Toshiba Satellite S5214 as the winner...

Just want to thank all you guys again for the help and I can't wait for my money to get back to me so I can order my beautiful new machine

A little upset I won't be able to get SWTOR but nobody I know IRL will be getting it so that helps take the sting away...why get an MMO if you can't play with people you know?

Thanks again everyone!
No prob man. Grats on the purchase.

Old
10-21-2011, 04:26 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

First post from the new Toshiba L755-S5214 ... I don't know what happened but BestBuy only charged me $359+tax for this babe, so I think I made out like a bandit!

Old
10-21-2011, 04:42 PM
neofury*

Quote:
The Amazon listing said simply "HD Graphics" for the GPU and mentioned the "Sandy Bridge" family for the CPU, so I went with the benchmark scores for "HD Graphics (Sandy Bridge)," which are about 40% of the scores for the listed AMD GPU (hence why I emphasized one being much better than the other). That turned out to be an older GPU than the one in the given laptop, however, so I was wrong. I wish that you would've shown me a bit more respect and given me the benefit of the doubt by more gently pointing that out to me, though. We're not competing against each other for the best advice, afterall. We're all trying to help each other out, which is what I was trying to do.

That's not necessarily the case. I bought a new laptop (direct from Toshiba) for $550 two years ago that had a dedicated graphics chip with dedicated memory. It blew away the other solutions around the $500 mark, so the extra $50 was well worth it. True, it's not exactly $500 or less, but it's very close and anyone considering a $500 laptop with gaming in mind should realize that just a little bit more might get them significantly better gaming performance.
Look I know we've had our history but I just want to come out here and say you're right, this isn't a competition. And this is just getting silly. I have no qualms with you as a poster and we should just end this right now. We're both overreacting imo. Personally I didn't mean to bug you with my delivery it's just the way I am, didn't mean to be mean. That being said though it's pretty much a crap shoot at 500$, I don't mean you can't get a dedicated, but the dedicated cards you do find around that area are mostly comparable to the integrated Intel HD 3000 crap. Obviously slightly better but almost gives people the illusion they can game properly. They'll only be around 5fps better than the integrated crap at times.

This is why I say in that price range it's a crap shoot, mind you keep in mind I'm going by the Canadian standard, in the US there is a lot more competition and a lot better deals. If you go to Bestbuy.ca though and check 500$ laptops, you'll see what I mean. Then compare with Bestbuy.com, while you are right it isn't a complete crap shoot it pretty much is when we're talking GPU. Obviously the more research you do the better you will find for your $. But if you're expecting an i7 with a GT555m for 500$~ you'll be disappointed imo. And that is a card that will play any game on at least decent settings.