HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Mark Messier, power foward?

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2005, 07:23 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

vCash: 500
Mark Messier, power foward?

I was just considering what really defines a 'power foward' and thought the Moose might be an ideal fit for this catagory. If he is ideed one I think he and Cam Neely are the top two hard hitting super-scorers. Thoughts?

Old
10-31-2005, 10:41 PM
V-2 Schneider

vCash: 500
Sure, he's been one, so has Tocchet,Gary Roberts,Shanny,but I'd place leClair in that group, as he is so strong, and difficult to knock off the puck.He can also hit like a train.You don't have to be nasty to play with power.There are some smaller players who played well in traffic,went to the net, bumped and grinded it out along the boards, and put up good numbers,but didn't steamroll people.Think of Verbeek,Dineen,Ciccarelli.

Bob Gainey couldn't score,but he sure could take the body and chase down a player with abandon, and make D men hear footsteps, which are things that a "powerforward" are thought to do.The term seems to be one that has a floating definition.

Closed Thread