HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tavares Future Linemates (Strome)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-21-2011, 03:53 PM
  #1
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,077
vCash: 420
Tavares Future Linemates (Strome)

When I watch the Isles, I can't help but marvel at the play of JT. The guy just gets it. He's got such good instincts and is the smartest player on the ice by a MILE.

Seriously though, why have you guys not addressed the need for him to have better linemates?

I watched about 20 mintues of the game the other night and on two separate occasions I noticed him make GREAT plays to win the battle for the puck and send it over to Moulson...who proceeded to fumble with it both times.

I couldn't imagine if he had legit wingers.


That brings me to my question. I own Strome in a fantasy league and am toying with the option of trading him in order to get some players like E Kane and Ennis.

It makes me wonder if Strome will have an eventual shot to play with JT. I know they are both centerman, but in all reality I think both could play either position.

How do the fans view the situation? Is Strome a potential JT linemate as early as NEXT season?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:31 PM
  #2
Dutch Frost
Battle Level
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
I expect Strome to be playing with the team next year.. He should be playing on this team now but I think they wanted him to get 1 more yr in the juniors.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:32 PM
  #3
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,604
vCash: 500
i would say probably not....if we didnt have neiderreiter in the system/ready to get into the lineup i would say there is a shot, but the fact is center is the most important position, sans goaltending in the NHL....the isles will be very strong down the middle long term assuming they resign neilsen...

1. JT
2. Strome
3. Neilsen

i think you keep players in their natural positions when you have the ability to do so, which in this case the isles do...

lets not forget the isles also have 2 more VERY talented wings to pair with either strome or JT going forward in kabanov and petrov, if he ever comes over

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:36 PM
  #4
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,077
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
i would say probably not....if we didnt have neiderreiter in the system/ready to get into the lineup i would say there is a shot, but the fact is center is the most important position, sans goaltending in the NHL....the isles will be very strong down the middle long term assuming they resign neilsen...

1. JT
2. Strome
3. Neilsen

i think you keep players in their natural positions when you have the ability to do so, which in this case the isles do...

lets not forget the isles also have 2 more VERY talented wings to pair with either strome or JT going forward in kabanov and petrov, if he ever comes over
All valid points. Thanks.

I'm just getting frustrated with their lack of current help on the wings. (I'm sure your fans are too). I've been expecting big things from Okposo, too and he's been a disappointment.

For the record, here's the trade that I am pondering. Tell me what you think:

I get:

Evander Kane
Tyler Ennis

I give:

Kyle Okposo
Ryan Strome
2nd round pick


Sure, it looks bad! It's not intentional that I am trying to deal two Isles haha.

If you could give me a proper handicap of the deal, that would be appreciated.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:42 PM
  #5
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
A lot depends on Bailey.

If Bailey has a good year & the Isles feel comfortable with him as a center, then Strome probably will be on JTs wing. If Bailey doesn't have a good year, then odds are they'll start Strome out as a center.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:02 PM
  #6
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
When I watch the Isles, I can't help but marvel at the play of JT. The guy just gets it. He's got such good instincts and is the smartest player on the ice by a MILE.

Seriously though, why have you guys not addressed the need for him to have better linemates?

I watched about 20 mintues of the game the other night and on two separate occasions I noticed him make GREAT plays to win the battle for the puck and send it over to Moulson...who proceeded to fumble with it both times.

I couldn't imagine if he had legit wingers.


That brings me to my question. I own Strome in a fantasy league and am toying with the option of trading him in order to get some players like E Kane and Ennis.

It makes me wonder if Strome will have an eventual shot to play with JT. I know they are both centerman, but in all reality I think both could play either position.

How do the fans view the situation? Is Strome a potential JT linemate as early as NEXT season?
I would argue with anyone who would dare argue that Tavares' linemates are just fine. Unfortunately, the Islanders weren't bad enough to select Taylor Hall two years ago. I'm hoping they can trade for a qualified winger. I'm not sure if Strome will shift to the wing. Much remains to be seen.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:25 PM
  #7
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
How do the fans view the situation? Is Strome a potential JT linemate as early as NEXT season?
1. I think Strome will eventually play with JT, certainly on the Power Play. All the video on Strome has him playing PP on the off-wing side, and that works great with JT who also plays his off wing. I think it is likely Strome starts off on the wing.

2. Nobody knows if Strome will be ready for the NHL next season. He's got a lot of filling out to do.

3. I don't think Strome's chances of playing center or wing depend on anyone, especially not Bailey. If he's better than PAP, he'll play RW on JT's line.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:40 PM
  #8
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,077
vCash: 420
How did Strome look in camp?

Did he look like he might be close at all? I thought he stayed up with you guys longer then some might have expected. That might be a good sign, no?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:49 PM
  #9
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,092
vCash: 500
Moulson is a legitimate winger. Parenteau has been surprisingly good this year.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:56 PM
  #10
cheesemonkey619
Registered User
 
cheesemonkey619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
I really like Moulson and JT together but PA needs to go, would be interested to see Grabner and PA switch.

cheesemonkey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:18 PM
  #11
islandersfan1677
Registered User
 
islandersfan1677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: jungleland
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
How did Strome look in camp?

Did he look like he might be close at all? I thought he stayed up with you guys longer then some might have expected. That might be a good sign, no?
he stayed with us but just to watch games from the team press boxes for the 9 games and then was sent back down. I can't see Strome ever moving to the wing being that we are very weak on center. JT has very good chemistry with Moluson and PAP, so I can't see that being broken up unless Nino plays really well coming off the injury list. Also that's a steal of a trade if you can pull it off specially since Strome won't even play this year.

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:21 PM
  #12
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
All valid points. Thanks.

I'm just getting frustrated with their lack of current help on the wings. (I'm sure your fans are too). I've been expecting big things from Okposo, too and he's been a disappointment.

For the record, here's the trade that I am pondering. Tell me what you think:

I get:

Evander Kane
Tyler Ennis

I give:

Kyle Okposo
Ryan Strome
2nd round pick


Sure, it looks bad! It's not intentional that I am trying to deal two Isles haha.

If you could give me a proper handicap of the deal, that would be appreciated.
Strome is gonna put up big numbers. If you need short term help go for it, but long term Okposo and Kane should be equal and Strome will outproduce Ennis.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:42 PM
  #13
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,077
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandersfan1677 View Post
he stayed with us but just to watch games from the team press boxes for the 9 games and then was sent back down. I can't see Strome ever moving to the wing being that we are very weak on center. JT has very good chemistry with Moluson and PAP, so I can't see that being broken up unless Nino plays really well coming off the injury list. Also that's a steal of a trade if you can pull it off specially since Strome won't even play this year.
It's a keeper league, so Strome producing now doesn't mean a whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Strome is gonna put up big numbers. If you need short term help go for it, but long term Okposo and Kane should be equal and Strome will outproduce Ennis.
Okposo equal to Kane? Really? I don't see it.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:00 PM
  #14
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,193
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
When I watch the Isles, I can't help but marvel at the play of JT. The guy just gets it. He's got such good instincts and is the smartest player on the ice by a MILE.

Seriously though, why have you guys not addressed the need for him to have better linemates?

I watched about 20 mintues of the game the other night and on two separate occasions I noticed him make GREAT plays to win the battle for the puck and send it over to Moulson...who proceeded to fumble with it both times.

I couldn't imagine if he had legit wingers.


That brings me to my question. I own Strome in a fantasy league and am toying with the option of trading him in order to get some players like E Kane and Ennis.

It makes me wonder if Strome will have an eventual shot to play with JT. I know they are both centerman, but in all reality I think both could play either position.

How do the fans view the situation? Is Strome a potential JT linemate as early as NEXT season?
Good question & comments. This is an ongoing argument, but nice to see someone out there who is not an Islander fan who recognizes the way the organization wastes John's talent between two second line players. My bigger worry is that they are throttling back his development. No one debates the value St Louis has had regarding the development of Stamkos. It only takes one legit winger to perhaps raise John's game to that level, or beyond? The owner won't spend on the club past the league mandated floor until the arena issue clears up so John and the rest of us are forced to wait years until Nino and now Strome grow into vets. It sucks, but if he won't spend the money, he won't spend the money.

Strome does not possess the ability to hang on any unit at the NHL level this year, so he won't be here until minimum next year. There is a better than 50% chance he won't be here next year as well. He lacks the size necessary to survive the bigger bodies, and will need to develop his defensive game as well. You can expect him 3 years from now. I doubt he will be full blown 1st line material at that point as well so I wouldn't hold my breath. You can apply the same timeline to Nino although he is further along in the process. I know, you only have Strome, but Nino'd be the guy to see playing with him sooner.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:09 PM
  #15
jdr016
Registered User
 
jdr016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,140
vCash: 500
For some reason, I see Matt Martin fitting in nicely with Tavares and Moulson. Anyway, the hockey pundits out there seem to feel Tavares and Strome are destined to play together some day. I just hope we don't rush the guy.

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:14 PM
  #16
islandersfan1677
Registered User
 
islandersfan1677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: jungleland
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
RS, still make that trade. Strome is very much an unknown on when he plays with us. Do u really wanna have unknown on your team and wait for to play in the nhl or go with someone for the now in Ennis. Yes in a keeper league you wanna build for the future but you also wanna win the league. I know I'd wanna do good in the now.

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:29 PM
  #17
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,816
vCash: 500
Can we get a sticky for these fantasy threads, seems like 1-2 pop up a day asking the same exact questions

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:47 PM
  #18
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

Okposo equal to Kane? Really? I don't see it.
What has Kane done to show himself to be a better player?

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:47 PM
  #19
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 10,010
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
We finally have players worthy of being drafted in fantasy leagues...

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:49 PM
  #20
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
What has Kane done to show himself to be a better player?
In fantasy Kane and Okposo are pretty much the same at this point for a keeper league, Kane may even have a slight edge. Real life Okposo is the better all round player but Kane has better scoring touch

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:01 PM
  #21
Words Of Wisdom
Truth Speaker
 
Words Of Wisdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,303
vCash: 500
I think Strome Will be on JT's line in the future and i look forward to it so much. Strome has great hands just like JT, There going to be a great duo.

Words Of Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:15 PM
  #22
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,465
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
For some reason, I see Matt Martin fitting in nicely with Tavares and Moulson. Anyway, the hockey pundits out there seem to feel Tavares and Strome are destined to play together some day. I just hope we don't rush the guy.
That's a slow line.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:11 PM
  #23
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,077
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
What has Kane done to show himself to be a better player?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
In fantasy Kane and Okposo are pretty much the same at this point for a keeper league, Kane may even have a slight edge. Real life Okposo is the better all round player but Kane has better scoring touch
This, for the most part. I still a potential Iginila-lite in Kane. Not so much in Okposo. No offense to fans of his.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:17 PM
  #24
kpap57
Registered User
 
kpap57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: EX Long Islander
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
This, for the most part. I still a potential Iginila-lite in Kane. Not so much in Okposo. No offense to fans of his.
Okposo will be a fine player. Kane has potential. Personally i thought he would be better than he has been by now, but the potential is still there. Kane def has the higher potential, but as of RIGHT now, i would take KO all day for his all round play.

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:40 PM
  #25
Strome18
Registered User
 
Strome18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
Okposo will be a fine player. Kane has potential. Personally i thought he would be better than he has been by now, but the potential is still there. Kane def has the higher potential, but as of RIGHT now, i would take KO all day for his all round play.
I think Okie with JT & Moulson would do wonders.

Grabs with Nielsen & Bails would be great.

Nino with Pap & Reasoner.

Martin with Haley & Rolston / Pandolfo

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.