HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Saturday's Games NYI and NYY

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Fan101

vCash: 500
Saturday's Games NYI and NYY

Saturday night I had the pleasure of watching a resurgent Islander team shine with it's lineup of young players and hard working vet's. The results of an owner who has displayed patience and common sense when it comes to developing this team over the past three years of ownership.

Meanwhile in the Bronx, a beligerent owner and their spoiled fans are seething over a 27th World Series title which they failed to capture.

Marlins ownership and management proved that the formula for winning is in developing young talent and bringing in character veteran leadership.

Judging by the articles in today's Newsday about the great Yankee "failure", I wonder what things would be like if they lost to Boston ?

Old
10-27-2003, 09:30 AM
disles1

Saturday Night

Saturday night I had the pleasure of watching my islanders play a great game and unfortunately my yankees come up a bit short. But for the past 8 that's right 8 years I had the pleasure of watching my yankees win 4 world series. Now if you don't think over those 8 years that the yankees had any young players who developed you are insane. The list of players goes on and on---sure George has MONEY and goes out and buys players to ADD to the team but if you were him wouldn't you do the same. I love an owner that will do what the fans want and put his profits back into the team. There are PLENTY of owners who have more money than George but they put their profits into their pockets. I only WISH that Wang would do more and add to the payroll. I realize that he has lost over 20 million---but to raise ticket prices- the most of any team -and to not put money into it (no offseason movement) NO WONDER we are drawing only 11,000 fans a game. I like the direction the isles are going --mixing youth with veterans---I congratulate the Florida Marlins--but if you can't see the yankees were built the same way then you are an idiot.

Old
10-27-2003, 10:46 AM
Fan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by disles1
Saturday night I had the pleasure of watching my islanders play a great game and unfortunately my yankees come up a bit short. But for the past 8 that's right 8 years I had the pleasure of watching my yankees win 4 world series. Now if you don't think over those 8 years that the yankees had any young players who developed you are insane. The list of players goes on and on---sure George has MONEY and goes out and buys players to ADD to the team but if you were him wouldn't you do the same. I love an owner that will do what the fans want and put his profits back into the team. There are PLENTY of owners who have more money than George but they put their profits into their pockets. I only WISH that Wang would do more and add to the payroll. I realize that he has lost over 20 million---but to raise ticket prices- the most of any team -and to not put money into it (no offseason movement) NO WONDER we are drawing only 11,000 fans a game. I like the direction the isles are going --mixing youth with veterans---I congratulate the Florida Marlins--but if you can't see the yankees were built the same way then you are an idiot.
Sorry I touched a nerve about not winning your 5th championship in 8 years. I'm sure if they sink another 50 million into the franchise, they can still guarantee beating Boston again next year.

Old
10-27-2003, 11:19 AM
disles1

No nerves touched don't worry. The Marlins played better and derserved to win this series. But your point about the yankees not having any youth is inaccurate and absurd. The systems of the NHL and MLB maybe out of whack but the yankees play by the rules given to them. The big difference between the yankees and the mets, red sox, ny rangers, ny knicks is that they WIN!!!! If money was all there was to a championship the knicks would have won 8 in row!!! So keep rooting for the mets or sox they might win one some year---just get your facts straight please.

Old
10-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Fan101

Quote:
No nerves touched don't worry. The Marlins played better and derserved to win this series. But your point about the yankees not having any youth is inaccurate and absurd. The systems of the NHL and MLB maybe out of whack but the yankees play by the rules given to them. The big difference between the yankees and the mets, red sox, ny rangers, ny knicks is that they WIN!!!! If money was all there was to a championship the knicks would have won 8 in row!!! So keep rooting for the mets or sox they might win one some year---just get your facts straight please.
The Yankees did have youth 7 years ago when Jeter, Williams, Pettitte etc were new players. However sinking 120 million into Giambi and making him a DH and giving Contreras a huge contract based on Red Sox rumors is amusing. I'm glad the Yanks and fans had a great season, but if you read today's papers, Steinbrenner is about to dissect this team, Zimmer is bad mouthing them and Stotylmeyer may not return either. If "playing by the rules" means having George's buddy Bud Selig as "interim" baseball commissioner and franchises on financial life support, then I say enjoy the "game".

Old
10-27-2003, 11:59 AM
disles1

While I agree George is an idiot most of the time I can't fault him for his "passion" to win. I like the fact that he will do anything it takes to make the yanks a winner--I wish more owners (wang) were like this. I also agree you have to develop players--but when those players develop and have to be "paid" you better have the money to do so. If you don't you should not be an owner. I can't stand owners who cry that they can't compete, turn a profit, and then don't put that money into the team or turn around and sell the team for a 100 million more than they bought it for. Hey this is a business and they have to make money but these are smart guys --they can't have it both ways. Either pay your players or don't cry about teams that do.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:37 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
but if you can't see the yankees were built the same way then you are an idiot.
If you have to call someone an idiot to make your point, do not bother making any point at all on this board, no place for that here.

Activate your pm if you want to discuss it off the board.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:48 PM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Does this discussion really have to belong on here anyways??? This is an Islanders board, not a Yankees board...

~TL

Old
10-27-2003, 01:00 PM
disles1

Sorry if I offended anyone--just responding to a post.

Old
10-27-2003, 03:54 PM
Fan101

Quote:
Sorry if I offended anyone--just responding to a post.
Good discussion guys. As an old Isles fan, I remember after they lost their shot at the 5th cup in 1985, we thought they'd be back in the semifinals or finals in the next year, but the team took a big dive thanks to ownership and aging players.

The 1996 thru 2001 Yankee teams were legitimately well made but even Torre told Steinbrenner that just spending more money these last two years will not assure a winner.

Maybe I meant Saturday night we saw the possible decline of one team (NYY) and the emergence of a new winner NYI !!!

Old
10-28-2003, 08:39 AM
Islanders4Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan101
Maybe I meant Saturday night we saw the possible decline of one team (NYY) and the emergence of a new winner NYI !!!
We can only hope in both cases!

Old
10-28-2003, 12:41 PM
Smash255

Send a message via AIM to Smash255
What makes a good competitive team is combining the farm system with trades & fa's. granted the Yanks have the $$ to sign their players, but look had how many players have come up through their organization. Look at some other big $$$ clubs such as Boston, LA & the Mets (although the Mets did go towards more of a youth movement when they were eliminated in May) those teams spent a lot of $$$ omn fa's with little developmment of their farm system. Granted the Yanks haven't won in a few years, but they are their every year & although part of it is all the $$ they spend another part is the devlopment of the platyers that came up in their system (Jeter, Williams, Posada, Pettite, Rivera)

Closed Thread