HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Kerry Fraser - Boston got away with thuggery during playoffs

Old
10-21-2011, 08:52 AM
hoss75

vCash: 500
There's no doubt there was some extra 'spice' by the Bruins in the finals. But anyone who saw the finals saw the Vancouver play a dirty game with no response from the Bruins or the Refs till 5 minutes into game 3.
This moaning about the extra-curricular activities in the finals reminds me of the 7th grade when some kid tried to start with me so I cold-cocked him. Then the kid went around complaining that I sucker punched him.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:01 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
There's no doubt there was some extra 'spice' by the Bruins in the finals. But anyone who saw the finals saw the Vancouver play a dirty game with no response from the Bruins or the Refs till 5 minutes into game 3.
This moaning about the extra-curricular activities in the finals reminds me of the 7th grade when some kid tried to start with me so I cold-cocked him. Then the kid went around complaining that I sucker punched him.
The only reason it got any attention was because Vancouver whined like Bill Polian did after the 03 Pats whupped the Colts in the AFC Championship game.

Nothing that happened in the Finals was new, hell even the bite wasn't new. I think when the Ducks won the Cup they went way beyond anything we saw last June.

The old Detroit/Colorado series were brutal.

It was a team that felt entitled not knowing how to deal with a team standing up to them. They had no idea how to handle the Bruins. They did not know how to play tough, playoff hockey.

Detroit would not have had that problem.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
The only reason it got any attention was because Vancouver whined like Bill Polian did after the 03 Pats whupped the Colts in the AFC Championship game.

Nothing that happened in the Finals was new, hell even the bite wasn't new. I think when the Ducks won the Cup they went way beyond anything we saw last June.

It was a team that felt entitled not knowing how to deal with a team standing up to them. They had no idea how to handle the Bruins. They did not know how to play tough, playoff hockey.

100% spot on.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

The thing that gets me most is how he lauds McCauley and Devorski for "continuing to do their job". Calling phantom penalties is doing your job? Tossing a player for a little push is doing their job? Tossing a coach for a little head shake is doing their job? being completely one-sided in how they passed out roughing and instigator penalties is "doing their job?"

What a joke. There's a reason he's no longer officiating. Good riddance!

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:16 AM
howaryuh

When you are on top, everyone wants to knock you down.

The only thing Fraser has going for him is his behind the scenes knowledge, aside from that he has not translated well in media.

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimeHockeyNut View Post
Didnt see this anywhere so i'll post it. If it was and i missed it, move or delete thread

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=378544

This is the part I have a problem with

"You most appropriately described the reason that the Boston Bruins took themselves out of the game Tuesday night and lost to the Carolina Hurricanes by the score of 4-1. Beyond playing like the 'Big Bad Bruins' of old, they were utterly and completely UNDISCIPLINED and have no one to blame but themselves for the loss!

While that style of play might have been allowed on many nights in the late seventies, eighties (and to a lesser degree on occasion during the Stanley Cup playoffs and through the Final last season) I don't believe it will fly this year. Unless the B's can muster some discipline to combine with their aggressive attack I can assure you that their penalty killers will log more ice time than their first line unit; that is if the referees continue to do their job, as Wes McCauley and Paul Devorski did on Tuesday night." -TSN Karry Fraser

So is Kerry saying the Bruins used 'thuggery' and "undisiplined" play to win the cup and the officials let the bruins get away with it? Is he actually attacking the refs saying that they where bias in their penalty calling last year in bostons favor? Dunno... Just thought it wierd that he would outwardly attack the refs officiating last year.
"To a lesser degree on occasion" doesn't imply to me that the officials let the Bruins get away with thuggery in the playoffs.

The Ducks style of play was very similar in 2007 when they won the Cup.

Seems clear what Frazier is saying is that they can't cross the line into the completely UNDISCIPLINED play they exhibited Tuesday against Carolina. The officials will be less lenient this year.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:34 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Quote:

Or the Blackhawks for that matter.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:49 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Or the Blackhawks for that matter.
I don't even think it would have been an issue for San Jose that much.

They may not have been as tough, but they wouldn't have whined.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxsterre View Post
"While that style of play might have been allowed on many nights in the late seventies, eighties (and to a lesser degree on occasion during the Stanley Cup playoffs and through the Final last season) I don't believe it will fly this year." . . .
I absolutely will not discredit him for his statement. I believe him.
There was a very large contingent of the NHL fanbase (especially MON, PHI, TBL, and VAN . . . maybe DAL) that found our beloved B's' overtly aggressive, physically attritive, and dominant style of play to be unacceptable thuggery - and there will be games that are officiated with that prejudice in mind. It IS reality, and I'm glad Kerry Fraser put it out there.
I find this comment puzzling. During my spare moments this summer, I looked around other HF boards and read their playoff game threads, and the one thing they had in common once they got into the SCF was how many fans (other than Habs fans, of course) were rooting for the Bruins. Even people who had started out rooting for Vancouver ended up for Boston, with attendant comments about the diving, whining Canucks and how the Bruins played the game the way it should be played. There were exceptions, of course, but overall it was a fascinating phenomenon. (BTW, the Devils' thread was the best. Some brilliant stuff. )

Most people realize that the Bruins aren't a bunch of swaggering goons that will attack innocent opponents for no reason. If you bite, dive and slash, of course you're going to get it back, in spades. Thomas didn't whack Burrows in the leg for no reason - it was because Burrows had slashed the stick out of his hand. Vancouver fans complained about Lucic punching Burrows, ignoring the fact that Burrows has whacked Thomas on the catching hand (you could even hear Thomas cry out on the TV broadcast). Canucks fans (and Fraser) are promoting the fallacy that the Bruins are a bunch of undisiplined bullies, which is a load of ****.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:59 AM
jerrywally23*

What I find Funny is TSN is Based out of Toronto, there head office is in Toronto and the broadcast sportcenter in Toronto. TSN put this story up right before Boston put a thumping on the Toronto Maple leafs, if you listen to the color commentators on TSN during the game last they were so pro Toronto it was sicking, seriously they spend half the time talking up Toronto and the other half belittling and insulting the Bruins.

jerrywally23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:27 AM
lopey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywally23 View Post
What I find Funny is TSN is Based out of Toronto, there head office is in Toronto and the broadcast sportcenter in Toronto. TSN put this story up right before Boston put a thumping on the Toronto Maple leafs, if you listen to the color commentators on TSN during the game last they were so pro Toronto it was sicking, seriously they spend half the time talking up Toronto and the other half belittling and insulting the Bruins.
TSN = Toronto Sports Network. They are so biased it is sad. I cannot listent to any game the b's play against a Canandian team on either TSN or CBC. Both channels are homers to the extreme. CBC is worse thouhg. Glen Healy still cannot process the fact the Thomas is a great goalie. He still belittles him and his style. This from a career backup, and a bad one at that..

lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey View Post
TSN = Toronto Sports Network. They are so biased it is sad. I cannot listent to any game the b's play against a Canandian team on either TSN or CBC. Both channels are homers to the extreme. CBC is worse thouhg. Glen Healy still cannot process the fact the Thomas is a great goalie. He still belittles him and his style. This from a career backup, and a bad one at that..
They can't all be unbiased like Jack Edwards.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:46 AM
lopey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Jack's is a homer, no doubt, but he does give credit to the other teams when they do perform well. It seems to me that TSN and especially CBC find excuses for the Canadian teams when they lose, rather than give credit to the B's. I've seen this my whole life.

lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:

Excellent post, spot on. I will say that Chicago last season would have also had some issues but mostly because the media would look to make issues out of anything which of course they would want to jump on and create those tilts on the ice through off ice means. Detroit though- that would have been a nightmare. What we saw last year wasn't anything close to what teams have done in the playoffs before. When you're dealing with an entitled group though backed by the legions of crying Habs fans who still have red white and blue streaks on their face there's nothing else you can expect.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywally23 View Post
I loved how they had Ron Wilson giving his excuses for losing the game before the game even started. That was pretty awesome.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Stay away from hairspray...It can really mess up your brain. Poor Kerry!

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:34 PM
HockeyMomx2

Quote:
Jack SHOULD be a homer. He's the friggin team commentator for the local sports network. Not someone who is supposed to be impartial to all NHL teams on a national network.

HockeyMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
His book's sales should be moving now after these last words of his.

It can't hurt his talk show appearances neither.

Kerry who?

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Schmautzie
Dave est magané

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
Apparently diving and biting is acceptable. Physical play is just thuggery though...

Yeah that makes sense to me. If the NHL ever takes his advice on this, I'm going to stop watching all together.
That's the first thing that popped into my head.... where was he when Burrows performed "The Bite"? Kerry Fraser is a tool. Thank God the current generation of Bruins fans don't have to bear witness to his game calling anymore.

Schmautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

How did he find time to write this in between hair appointments?

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:01 PM
WestCoastBruinsFan

Quote:
when it comes down to it, Jack usually tells it like it is from both sides and gets really excited when the Bruins do something well. His game knowledge is very good. These clowns on TSN and CBC very often get rude in their homer comments. They are really hard to listen to because their game knowledge (Glen Healy) is lacking a lot.

WestCoastBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastBruinsFan View Post
when it comes down to it, Jack usually tells it like it is from both sides and gets really excited when the Bruins do something well. His game knowledge is very good. These clowns on TSN and CBC very often get rude in their homer comments. They are really hard to listen to because their game knowledge (Glen Healy) is lacking a lot.
Anyone who thinks Jack is a blind homer really, really needs to spend a couple of weeks watching other games around the league. Jack goes off on bizarre rants sometimes, but he doesn't hesitate to praise someone on the other team and give credit where it's due. Some of these guys don't even know who's on the other team.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:22 PM
WestCoastBruinsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Anyone who thinks Jack is a blind homer really, really needs to spend a couple of weeks watching other games around the league. Jack goes off on bizarre rants sometimes, but he doesn't hesitate to praise someone on the other team and give credit where it's due. Some of these guys don't even know who's on the other team.
Exactly and how many times do you watch another broadcast where the announcers are constatly screwing up the players names. Sometimes they will just mention the number. It gets pretty bad at times. Bob Cole is one of the worst for this in my opinion.

WestCoastBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:30 PM
TMLrBest

Worst sports official ever. Self righteous hypocrite, attention w****, Bruin hater and mental midget.

Fraser is living proof that continual butane inhalation will make you a

As for TSN.....ya....the bias is even a bit much for Leaf fans, but I'm still surprised no one as mentioned Joe 'Holy Mackinaw' Bowen from Sportsnet. That guy makes Derek Sanderson sound objective.

Jim Hughson was the last Toronto area guy that had any sense of objectivity. The current group are so bad......I find myself longing for Harry Neal

TMLrBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLrBest View Post
Worst sports official ever. Self righteous hypocrite, attention w****, Bruin hater and mental midget.

Fraser is living proof that continual butane inhalation will make you a

As for TSN.....ya....the bias is even a bit much for Leaf fans, but I'm still surprised no one as mentioned Joe 'Holy Mackinaw' Bowen from Sportsnet. That guy makes Derek Sanderson sound objective.

Jim Hughson was the last Toronto area guy that had any sense of objectivity. The current group are so bad......I find myself longing for Harry Neal
I watched the TSN feed for the B's-Leafs game last night (the only replay Center Ice had here)... I found myself missing the "objectivity" of Jack Edwards.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote