HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Surround Sound Trouble Shooting?

Old
08-27-2011, 02:19 PM
invictus

vCash: 500
Surround Sound Trouble Shooting?

So, I have a 5.1 setup with my tv and recently moved it all out of storage around 2 and a half months ago. I set everything up and it has been completely fine for DVD's, netflix streaming, the radio (through my reciever), etc...

Yesterday afternoon I was watching a documentary and there was a loud POP sound that seemed to come from all my speakers at once, and then there was no more sound. I messed around with the settings a bit (like switching it from being on DVD to Radio Tuner and back) and then the sound start playing again after stopping and restarting the receiver.

Today, I turned on something different, and there is zero sound. I tried different movies on netflix, the radio, a physical DVD I have, etc....no sound at all. I then unplugged my receiver and plugged my blu-ray player (which is what I stream Netflix through) directly to my tv and switched to tv sound and it works fine. So, it isn't a problem with the tv or the blu-ray player. Any ideas? I just don't get why it happened because there was nothing loud going on during the POP in the movie (it was just dialogue) and I didn't have the sound cranked or anything. I checked all the connections of the speaker wire, and they seem fine and dandy.

invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Osprey

Well, I know that receivers have fuses in them and if they blow, you lose your sound. About 10 years ago, I bought a nice receiver for $25 that someone said was giving no sound. I replaced the fuse with one that I bought for less than a dollar at RadioShack and it's still running 10 years later. So, you might try opening the receiver up and looking around for a blackened fuse. It'd be about the size of a mac 'n' cheese ("kraft dinner") noodle with metal ends and a clear middle (i.e. your typical, small electronics fuse). That's one idea, at least.

Last edited by Osprey: 08-29-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:38 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Well, I know that receivers have fuses in them and if they blow, you lose your sound. About 10 years ago, I bought a nice receiver for $25 that someone said was giving no sound. Ireplaced the fuse with one that I bought for less than a dollar at RadioShack and it's still running 10 years later. So, you might try opening the receiver up and looking around for a blackened fuse. It'd be about the size of a mac 'n' cheese ("kraft dinner") noodle with metal ends and a clear middle (i.e. your typical, small electronics fuse). That's one idea, at least.
Yeah, I was thinking it was something like that. I guess I'll have to pop the back off and see if I can id something without causing anymore trouble. I am extremely not a tinkerer

Old
09-17-2011, 12:48 AM
invictus

Looks like I'm in the market for a new receiver. All the fuses are fine. I even had a friend in our Physics department test all of them for voltage and whatnot in spite of them looking fine. They check out. All the connections are good to go. I even re-hooked it all up to make sure I was not crazy. It is just.....done working, lol. I did google the specific model though and there are a decent number of people talking about how it just sort of **** out after a year or so and this one was about 2 and a half years old....so it is what it is I guess.

Old
10-21-2011, 09:24 PM
invictus

I tried to re-adjust to life with no receiver, but it just wasn't happening. Picked this up tonight at Best Buy:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1312.../dp/B004U403S6

Warranties from Best Buy are a poor idea, right?

Anyway, I like it so far! It is good to be back in business.