HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How long does Gauthier have to win the Cup?

Old
10-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
This team was a bottom feeder in the earlt 2000.

I'm pretty sure Gauthier would like to make a trade but no one is dumb enough to take on Gomez and the Molsons won't bury his contract in the AHL because they love money and spending to the cap is already pissing them off.
Where's your source? link please.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Chili

Check out the Leafs front office...Brian Burke, Dave Nonis, Rick Dudley, Cliff Fletcher, all former GM's elsewhere plus Dave Poulin has a pretty impressive resume as well.

When players like Steckel, Lupul, Lombardi,etc. become available they have the contacts and knowledge to get these deals done with not alot going the other way. They know the potential of a Jake Gardiner and get him included in a deal.

With that group, the Leafs should only get better.

Do you have the same faith in the Habs hierarchy?

The players the Habs acquire seem to be rentals, players nearing the end of their career or fringe players. When is the last time the Habs made deal for a core player or for a significant player on the rise? Don't really remember. (It could be Eller but the jury would still be out there).

I see alot of different frustration vented on this forum but seldom towards ownership. To me that's where it starts. If this organization is serious about winning if would be reflected in their front office. Or is making money more important then winning?

There is no cap on management. To me, there is no reason not to have some of the best in the business there, with the money the Habs generate. I don't know that that is the case right now and that would reflect on ownership, in my opinion.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:16 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Check out the Leafs front office...Brian Burke, Dave Nonis, Rick Dudley, Cliff Fletcher, all former GM's elsewhere plus Dave Poulin has a pretty impressive resume as well.

When players like Steckel, Lupul, Lombardi,etc. become available they have the contacts and knowledge to get these deals done with not alot going the other way. They know the potential of a Jake Gardiner and get him included in a deal.

With that group, the Leafs should only get better.

Do you have the same faith in the Habs hierarchy?

The players the Habs acquire seem to be rentals, players nearing the end of their career or fringe players. When is the last time the Habs made deal for a core player or for a significant player on the rise? Don't really remember. (It could be Eller but the jury would still be out there).

I see alot of different frustration vented on this forum but seldom towards ownership. To me that's where it starts. If this organization is serious about winning if would be reflected in their front office. Or is making money more important then winning?

There is no cap on management. To me, there is no reason not to have some of the best in the business there, with the money the Habs generate. I don't know that that is the case right now and that would reflect on ownership, in my opinion.
playing with fire there using the Leafs as the comparison...

but you make an excellent point. For all the talk about Burke's ego, fact is that he has no issue surrounding himself with people he considers quality hockey people, and the Leafs as a franchise have never had a problem with spending to "bulk up" their front office staff...

that said, i think a case could be made that, at least in the JFJr regime, they suffered from having too many ego's and that probably played into some of their disastrous roster moves.

That our front office is built exactly the opposite, speaks volumes to the type of management/leadership we have... control and top-down consensus seem to be prioritized over bringing in the best minds and putting them to work.

with the profits the team is making, there is no reason why we don't load up on experienced talent with strong ties to other organizations, which, as you point out, should lead to better pro roster management (which has been a glaring weakness for this team ever since Gainey got here).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Harry Wong

Don't get why everyone is looking to change the coach, its' early days as far as this season goes. Is this really a coaching problem? The bigger question is whether the players Jacques has been provided are capable of winning and if not why not?
If we have a team that is judged to be capable of winning and we don't start winning then JM should be in trouble. If they are incapable of winning, we must ask if there is a realistic hope that we can get the necessary players within a reasonable period? Many people do not feel we are capable of winning with our current personnel. If we don't have the personnel to win then firing Jacques Martin is a mistake. So then we should ask, What period of time is needed to get the necessary players for this team to win? Or how long does Pierre Gauthier have to win the cup?

Harry Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Teufelsdreck

Is there a magic formula for upgrading the Habs in less than one year? That's what some of the board members seem to be demanding. I wish they'd tell us how to do it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Harry Wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Is there a magic formula for upgrading the Habs in less than one year? That's what some of the board members seem to be demanding. I wish they'd tell us how to do it.
I don't think there is a magic formula, nor do I think it is less than one year. For me I am just begining to question whether we are going in the right direction and if we can win with the direction we are going in. I am curious if others feel that way and what is a reasonable period of time for PG to prove his approach can win.

Harry Wong is offline   Reply With Quote