HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

WHL Dmen in 2012 - Official Thread

Old
08-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
GoChiefsGo - I'm assuming you live in Spokane, so you see a lot of US Division games. What are your impressions on Nick Walters from Everett? Got invited to the Hlinka camp. Obviously didn't put up points or anything but he's a rangy stay at home guy who makes good, simple plays from the back-end.
Walters is on my radar this season for sure, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him. Unfortunately, he didn't see a ton of ice with Everett last year (not completely sure if he was injured or just scratched?), so I have fairly limited viewings on him thus far. You put it best really, not overly flashy but there is some potential there - maybe a Tyler Wotherspoon type of guy this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
You sure give a lot of guarantees.

Hitting isn't all about weight of course. It's okay to be a bit shorter, if you have a broad build, and strong legs. There are many big hitters in the NHL that aren't heavyweights, and Dumba has the potential to be a bigger hitter than a lot of them.

Of course I agree though, that he won't be able to compromise his positioning nearly as often as he does in juniors (luckily for him that's just one facet of his game). But you're making it out like open ice hits don't happen in the NHL, and that it doesn't translate at all. Yes he won't be able to do it all game long, but he can in junior, and thus hone that part of his trade. He'll definitely have to pick his spots, but it will be a much more refined skill due to him being able to run wild in junior. Dumba has a good mind for the game, better than Phaneuf's, so he'll learn to pick his spots at the next level.
I'm not saying hits like that don't happen, not at all. My opinion of him is that he needs to be careful in throwing those hits - particularly against larger players. The point I was making was that if he continues to play the game recklessly and tries to take it to the pro level, he's going to get beat on a pretty frequent basis, and might very well see himself injured at some point. I won't disagree that smaller players throw open ice hits at the NHL level, but I think that you will agree that it's much more likely that they get injured and/or miss their check completely, rather than throwing the big hit and making a highlight reel.

The big hit isn't often the right play. He will need to learn that discipline to be successful in the professional ranks.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:03 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

In the early going Dumba has impressed me the most. But everyone should look out for Pouliot, who I have been critically of has just exploded the early start with 6 assists in 3 games.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:18 PM
DeltaSwede

I am hoping the Canucks can get a first round pick for Schneider and then pick one of these guys up. Doesn't really matter who but damn.

DeltaSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:57 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

I got a good look at Derrick Pouliot and the rest of the WinterHawks tonight. Pouliot had a bad case of bus legs, he got eaten alive by the Oil Kings forecheck and just did not make a lot happen at either end of the ice. If I wasn't looking for him, I wouldn't have known he was on the ice. Not a good showing for someone who wants to be a high end first rounder.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:56 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
I got a good look at Derrick Pouliot and the rest of the WinterHawks tonight. Pouliot had a bad case of bus legs, he got eaten alive by the Oil Kings forecheck and just did not make a lot happen at either end of the ice. If I wasn't looking for him, I wouldn't have known he was on the ice. Not a good showing for someone who wants to be a high end first rounder.
Never been a big fan

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:30 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Never been a big fan
Personally, I think its more of a big four (Murray, Dumba, Rielly, Reinhart) and Pouliot should be joining Seversen and Thrower on the 2nd tier. Pouliot has some offensive tools but I'm real worried about his defensive game. He's kind of slight and not enough mobility to make up for the slightness.

Old
10-22-2011, 11:05 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Quote:
Personally, I think its more of a big four (Murray, Dumba, Rielly, Reinhart) and Pouliot should be joining Seversen and Thrower on the 2nd tier. Pouliot has some offensive tools but I'm real worried about his defensive game. He's kind of slight and not enough mobility to make up for the slightness.
I still think he's a step ahead of the "2nd tier", but it's not by as much as some people think.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:16 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I still think he's a step ahead of the "2nd tier", but it's not by as much as some people think.
Yeah I agree, I worded that poorly. Pouliot is clearly #5 out of the top 5 Dman, but I think Pouliot is closer to Severson than he is to either Reinhart or Rielly, at this point, and miles away from Murray or Dumba.

Old
10-23-2011, 12:35 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I'm glad you saw what I did last season. Needs some major defensive help imo.

Old
10-23-2011, 12:39 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

GoChiefsGo isn't going to like what I said. :X