HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Can we get a grinder for MZA?

Old
10-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Can we get a grinder for MZA?

It's clear that MZA is not fitting in with the Rangers. I would love to replace him with another player who would be a good fit on the third/fourth line. Any thoughts on what kind of a grinder we can get for him?

Could we get someone like Colby Armstrong? Settle for someone like Chris Neil? Or we can't get any top-12 player?

* If the other team wants him, they can also get WW in addition to MZA. There might be a team that has no scoring that would be willing to add WW and MZA.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:40 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

MZA would be a tremendous fit on a team like Detroit.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Stepanformayor*

MZA would not fit in Detroit because he is not a top six forward in this leauge right now and can not defend in his own end and Detroit prides themselves on there defensive play.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:53 PM
nyrleetch

There's a guy in hartford named Sean Avery if you're looking for a 3rd or 4th liner.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:53 PM
nyrleetch

I'd keep onto MZA. Give him a shot in the top 6.

Also i'd call up Avery lol.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:57 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
MZA would not fit in Detroit because he is not a top six forward in this leauge right now and can not defend in his own end and Detroit prides themselves on there defensive play.
MZA would fit Detroit's puck possession hockey. He's a guy who makes plays with the puck but in this Torts' system he is often forced to dump and chase and play along the boards. Of course he also hasn't gotten the top 6 minutes. Every team has 1 or 2 guys who aren't "polished" defensively.

This coming from a Torts' supporter.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:59 PM
thrillermiller89

rangers lines should just be this

avery/wolski--richards--gaborik
dubinsky--stepan--callahan
fedotenko--anisimov--mza
rupp--boyle--prust

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:05 AM
petejudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post

fedotenko--anisimov--mza
rupp--boyle--prust
look great on paper but stepan didn't fit in with the pack line. they tried it in training camp and there was no chemistry. you have to keep that line together. unless you want stepan to be playing 3rd line minutes you have to keep him as the top line left winger

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:08 AM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
look great on paper but stepan didn't fit in with the pack line. they tried it in training camp and there was no chemistry. you have to keep that line together. unless you want stepan to be playing 3rd line minutes you have to keep him as the top line left winger
i was unaware of that.

thanks

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Pizza

Though I'm not yet ready to give up on him, I was wondering how long it would take to see this thread. He's not had a big impact at the NHL level, so I don't think we'd get much coming back for him.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Stepanformayor*

Why would you move Stepan off the first line? That line has been great since he has been there. His job has been to be a physical presence on that line and he leads the team in hits. His numbers may go down because of bthis but he has been great there!!

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Fataldogg

Ok, isn't it enough that lines 2, 3, and 4 consist of mostly grinders? Even Callahan and Dubinsky who do have legitimate offensive talent are more grinders with skill than anything else. The Rangers have more than their share of grinders. Shouldn't even be considered.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 01:37 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

not sure what kind of "grinder" the OP would target for MZA who hasn't really proved much at the NHL level of yet.

with 23 points in 42 games played last year at this point he appears to be a skill distributing player with say 45 point skill. Maybe with the right program and continuing development he can be much more but at this point that is his "market" value. If that...

so I am not sure who Sather gets in return for him.

Personally I feel that waiving Weise was a big mistake and obviously Vancouver agrees with me as that team apparently has coveted him for a few seasons now. He was that "grinder" and paid his dues in the system. I also think it was a mistake to bring back Fedotenko over say Weise as Feds has the experience but is not anywhere near to part of the kid movement for NY.

Having said that, which team wants a 5 foot 9 inch skill distributing guy in the NHL ?

Cbus could use him, then again the Jackets appears to be circling the toilet. Prospal has already lost patience with the losing over there.

Nashville already has plenty of 50 point forwards.

Tampa already has Marty Saint Louis

the list of teams that would want a Zuc is not very long. Then they have to have a guy that fits NY's needs (in this case a grinder)

not saying its impossible, just unlikely

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 02:08 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Ok, isn't it enough that lines 2, 3, and 4 consist of mostly grinders? Even Callahan and Dubinsky who do have legitimate offensive talent are more grinders with skill than anything else. The Rangers have more than their share of grinders. Shouldn't even be considered.
Torts doesn't know what to do with MZA as much as I like him as the coach, and when MZA doesn't wrack up points playing with grinders everybody turns on him.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Vitto79

whether we like it or not he will be moved out at some point this yr. Likely for a Dman

Wolski getting hurt screwed Zuke. He was set to play with Stepan.

At this point I hope he tears it up in the minors and they send him to a team that stinks like Winnipeg where he can get ice time.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:23 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
whether we like it or not he will be moved out at some point this yr. Likely for a Dman

Wolski getting hurt screwed Zuke. He was set to play with Stepan.

At this point I hope he tears it up in the minors and they send him to a team that stinks like Winnipeg where he can get ice time.
Nailed it right there:

This would´ve been the ideal (with everyone healthy) lineup imo - on paper at least:

Wolski - Richards - Gaborik
PACK line
Boyle - Stepan - Zuc
Feds/Rupp - Avery - Prust

Newbury or Mitchell as an eventual 14th spare
Christ traded or waived

But this we will never see
Would´ve worked cap wise too - with or without a 14th FWD...
Both Staal being out & Wolski injured disrupted things in the lineup more than we might be thought to believe
Will be interesting to see what happens further on up the road

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:32 AM
jaywills1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
thank you. guys need to realize that this team is nothing but grinders. we need the skilled guys like MZA. everyone loves the blue collar players but a team full of them will not win us a cup. plain and simple. i love callahan but he really doesnt have any skill. hes a north south player that shoots everything he gets on his stick. again i love him but a team of callahans will not win a cup.

jaywills1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:02 AM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
You can say what you want, but if you take a look at the first two games in Stockholm, you could see that Zuccarello was the first forward back on almost all occasions when he was on the ice. No, he's not going to bully people in the defensive zone, pick-pocket yes.

How many times did Anaheim get a two-on-one in that game? 5-6?

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
You can say what you want, but if you take a look at the first two games in Stockholm, you could see that Zuccarello was the first forward back on almost all occasions when he was on the ice. No, he's not going to bully people in the defensive zone, pick-pocket yes.

How many times did Anaheim get a two-on-one in that game? 5-6?
Don't mind them, they haven't re-assessed their evaluations from last season. And even then, he was pretty good at backchecking.

I think the injury to Wolski hit the nail on the head, Zuccarello was supposed to play with Fedotenko and Stepan/ Wolski. That injury screwed up the lines. Zuke got the short end of the stick. Let's see what happens when Wolski is back. I do hope a team like Detroit could get their hands on him, he would be much better utilized there then he will ever be in New York. Systematic, untalented grinding takes its toll on players that want creativity.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:24 AM
ncmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post

fedotenko--anisimov--mza
rupp--boyle--prust
I would rather see;

Stepan/Richards/Gaborik
MZA/AA/Callahan
Dubinsky/Boyle/Prust
Fedotenko/Rupp/????(anyone)

ncmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Superstar Carwash

Why would we want another grinder? We have Boyle, Prust, Rupp, Newbury and Hagelin, Avery and others in CT.

If we were to move MZA, send him in a package for a top6 LW or a 4/5 defenseman.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Another grinder??

Why do we need another one? Almost our entire bottom 9 are grinders. We dont need anymore.

Is it so bad to have a very skilled offensive tool in the minors in case an injury bug hits?

Or how about he earns himself a callup again, and we give him 2nd line minutes and someone (say Dubinsky) who is struggling in the 2nd line spot should go to the 3rd line.

MZA should not be moved. I understand some posters dont like him because he is short or whatever, but thats not a reason. His defense is not that bad enough that it cost us anything and unlike other players, he looks and tries to improve himself.

Im praying he gets another callup this season and proves a lot of people wrong, hopefully proving to Sather to give him an extension.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
Another grinder??

Why do we need another one? Almost our entire bottom 9 are grinders. We dont need anymore.

Is it so bad to have a very skilled offensive tool in the minors in case an injury bug hits?

Or how about he earns himself a callup again, and we give him 2nd line minutes and someone (say Dubinsky) who is struggling in the 2nd line spot should go to the 3rd line.

MZA should not be moved. I understand some posters dont like him because he is short or whatever, but thats not a reason. His defense is not that bad enough that it cost us anything and unlike other players, he looks and tries to improve himself.

Im praying he gets another callup this season and proves a lot of people wrong, hopefully proving to Sather to give him an extension.
I think we all would love that but come the deadline if he isnt back and producing he should be part of a package for either a Dman or a LW

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:07 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Nailed it right there:

This would´ve been the ideal (with everyone healthy) lineup imo - on paper at least:

Wolski - Richards - Gaborik
PACK line
Boyle - Stepan - Zuc
Feds/Rupp - Avery - Prust

Newbury or Mitchell as an eventual 14th spare
Christ traded or waived

But this we will never see
Would´ve worked cap wise too - with or without a 14th FWD...
Both Staal being out & Wolski injured disrupted things in the lineup more than we might be thought to believe
Will be interesting to see what happens further on up the road
So one of Fedotenko and Rupp would be scratched... but not Avery?

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:20 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Though I'm not yet ready to give up on him, I was wondering how long it would take to see this thread. He's not had a big impact at the NHL level, so I don't think we'd get much coming back for him.
The kid was Top 6 in PPG production on this team last year...how many more grinders do we need?

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote