HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DiPietro - Top 20?

Old
10-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
IF healthy yes but he is never healthy so no

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Isles Junkie

No. I'm not even sure if he's top 60 anymore

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:15 PM
number72

Bottom 20 ....just look at his save %. The best way for him to serve the team is to start fights with opposing goalies to get himself back on the injured list so we can bring up another player to help this team win.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Even Glasscal Leclaire's better than DP.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:43 PM
OlTimeHockey

"DP's the BEST. Always a good discussion and he has magnificent pads."

- the A.M.A

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Hipster Doofus

He was the worst goalie in the league last year. He's not top 20. Top 30. Top 40. Maybe in the top 50-60.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:39 AM
IwayMike

Currently he is not top 20. Need to see his stats at the all-star break.

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 02:20 AM
leaponover

Sorry, thought we were talking about a healthy, worked, and not rusty DiPietro. Didn't know we were comparing injured players to healthy players. While we are at it, Bailey is a much better player than, let's say Pavol Demitra.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 02:59 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Top 20? Your friend is a fool for underestimating DiPietro. If healthy, DiPietro would be up for the Vezina.

How quickly people forget that DiPietro was the first overall pick in 2000. He was clearly better than Heatley and Gaborik, and was compared to Grant Fuhr in Beckett's draft preview. Dany Heatley was compared to Tim Kerr and Marian Gaborik was compared to another player who I can't think of right now, but obviously, Fuhr was better than Kerr. How many cups did Tim Kerr win?

DiPietro made 73 saves for BU in the Frozen Four tournament. How many goalies can say that? He also handles the puck extremely well, and he made a great save on Mike Modano in 2006, but detractors like to forget these things. All people do is remember the negative things about DiPietro. They're probably still mad becaue Luongo got traded. But how many playoff games did Luongo play for the Islanders. DiPietro made 73 saves for BU in 2000. It was an overtime game and he made 73 saves.

Why is it that everyone is so down on this guy? He made a great save on Mike Modano in 2006, and was a starter on the Olympic team in 2006. And oh yeah, he was also an NHL All-Star in 2008. How conveniently everyone forgets that! He was compared to Grant Fuhr, and he made 73 saves for BU in the 2000 Frozen Four tournament.

The guy catches with his right hand. He had an assist in his first ever NHL game, and he was chosen first overall ahead of Heatley and Gaborik. How many goalies can say that? He was an All-Star in 2008 and was the starter on the 06 Olympic team. I can't think of any other goalies who can say that and made a great save on Mike Modano in 2006 and made 73 saves for BU in 2000.

Really, if not for the injuries, he would have won the Vezina at least twice, and probably would have won at least one Stanley Cup. He handles the puck great, and had an assist in his first NHL game... and it was an assist against the Buffalo Sabres with Dominik Hasek in the other net. I mean, how many goalies can say that they got an assist in their first game against Dominik Hasek and made a great save against Mike Modano just six year later? He was also an All-Star in 08.

Another thing that people really seem to ignore, and I don't understand it, is that whether he has long hair or a buzzcut, he's extremely attractive. I mean, here's a guy who is incredibly handsome, made 73 saves for BU in 2000, was a US Olympic starting goaltender, a 2008 All-Star, made a great save on Mike Modano in 2006, is cute as a button, probably even more handsome than Modano, was once compared to Grant Fuhr, was the first goalie to be chosen first overall, and made 73 saves in a high pressured NCAA game, and was a US olympic goaltnder in addition to being an All-Star, and he's not considered a top 20 goaltender? Well, I don't know what a top goaltender is to you guys, but when you take everything and pull it all together, DiPietro is one of the best! I don't know what people expect from this guy. I guess they just like to rip on him because he's an easy target after the Isladners traded Luongo to make room for him.

Get over it folks, DiPietro is one of the best.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Sorry, thought we were talking about a healthy, worked, and not rusty DiPietro. Didn't know we were comparing injured players to healthy players. While we are at it, Bailey is a much better player than, let's say Pavol Demitra.
That's ****ed up!!! You're an *******!!!

Old
10-22-2011, 04:20 AM
OlTimeHockey

He was selected first by Milbury.

OK, there's proof.

Also, proof that Papineau was worth more than a Stanley Cup winning goalie, Luongo was Luongo was nothing compared to Oleg, Palffy was nothing and we got the better Biron...I could go on.

Yeah, he was a first overall by Milbury, so he must be amazing. BTW, he lost that 73 save game.

Old
10-22-2011, 06:34 AM
lazycop
F Theo Fleury

If you took ALL the goalies in ALL the NHL teams organizations, prospects included, he wouldn't even be top 100.

But he's #1 in our hearts.

Can't wait to see this thread 8 or so years from now. Please, Ricky, save yourself, and your knees, and your hips, and whatever other body parts are about to blow out, and call it a day. I'm sure Charles can find something else for you to do.

lazycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 01:52 PM
HookeyPookey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycop View Post
If you took ALL the goalies in ALL the NHL teams organizations, prospects included, he wouldn't even be top 100.

But he's #1 in our hearts.

Can't wait to see this thread 8 or so years from now. Please, Ricky, save yourself, and your knees, and your hips, and whatever other body parts are about to blow out, and call it a day. I'm sure Charles can find something else for you to do.

cheek bones

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
He was selected first by Milbury.

OK, there's proof.

Also, proof that Papineau was worth more than a Stanley Cup winning goalie, Luongo was Luongo was nothing compared to Oleg, Palffy was nothing and we got the better Biron...I could go on.

Yeah, he was a first overall by Milbury, so he must be amazing. BTW, he lost that 73 save game.
But he's handsome and he made a really good save against an equally handsome Mike Modano.

Old
10-22-2011, 02:54 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
But he's handsome and he made a really good save against an equally handsome Mike Modano.
luscious curls, hulking/dwindling torso, fear of fake spiders......he has me at hello.

The saves are spectacular. If there were any way to omit the mid blowingly stupid goals he's let up, I'd wear special undies during games he played.

Old
10-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Hipietro

There are two goalies better than him on the Islanders alone...

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 03:17 PM
CodeE

New Orleans Saints Center Olin Kreutz decided to retire because he lost his passion for football. Could have sat on the bench collecting a paycheck, but instead simply retired.

Really wish that mentality existed in Ricky.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 03:27 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
There are two goalies better than him on the Islanders alone...
Stat wise, there were five last year.

Hmm....

Old
10-22-2011, 04:30 PM
BeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
New Orleans Saints Center Olin Kreutz decided to retire because he lost his passion for football. Could have sat on the bench collecting a paycheck, but instead simply retired.

Really wish that mentality existed in Ricky.
The difference is DP still has the passion for the game. I remember reading an article (can't remember where so you just have to take my word for it.. ) that DP worked his butt off during the offseason to get into game shape. If he would be simply going through the motions, showing up to practice putting in half efforts then I would totally agree with you but it seems he still has that passion.

BeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:43 PM
BeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
The question the OP asked was if he was a top 20 goalie right now. As of right now DP isn't a top 20 goalie.

Could he be a top 20 goalie in the future?
Maybe - And that is a big maybe. First he would have to find the hex bag that is obviously plaguing him with injury and then try and get the starting position back and prove himself. He's got a tough road ahead of him.

Also, if you look back in this thread to my earlier post you will see I compared DP's stats from last year and his best year to the 3 other goalies you doubted were better then him. Ricky has an uphill battle ahead of him to get back into the Top 20 but I would be thrilled if he could.

And as for your last comment, have some class man.

BeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Steve55

Not a chance.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:13 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
If DiPietro were a FA today I don't think any team in the NHL would sign him.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

DiPietro first overall in 2000 draft, Lundqvist 205th overall...who would you rather have in net???? thats all i need to say...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:06 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonstack View Post
The difference is DP still has the passion for the game. I remember reading an article (can't remember where so you just have to take my word for it.. ) that DP worked his butt off during the offseason to get into game shape. If he would be simply going through the motions, showing up to practice putting in half efforts then I would totally agree with you but it seems he still has that passion.
Passion for hockey and then sucking at it......if he were an actor, he'd be lucky to teach theater. He sucks at goalie, he has nothing but a contract keeping him in the NHL. It's sad but my team needs people helping them win as it is, so Rick can go suck one for all I care. Winning matters. Passion is dandy when naked.

(Well, depending on who's passionate of course)