HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Black Sabbath Appreciation Thread

Old
10-21-2011, 08:43 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
The Black Sabbath Appreciation Thread

Here it is ladies and gents. A thread devoted to the discussion and appreciation of the true Godfathers Of Metal. The one...the only...BLACK SABBATH!!!!!

Whether you're a fan of the Ozzy era, the Dio era, or any Sabbath era, come on in here and let's talk some Sabbath.

Discuss.

I'll go first. What's everyone's favourite Sabbath album(s)???

Their first 4 albums were their best IMO. Although it pisses me off that out of all of the great songs featured on those albums, radio stations seem to only play Paranoid, Iron Man, and occasionally War Pigs.

When it comes to their "Paranoid" album I actually prefer the songs such as Electric Funeral, Hand Of Doom, Rat Salad, and Fairies Wear Boots, a hell of alot more than I do songs like Paranoid or Iron Man.

Just my $0.02

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:35 PM
TheAntiPrice

vCash: 500
As I mentioned in the other thread, the "Born Again" album with Ian Gillan on lead vocals is hugely underrated...Disturbing the Priest, Zero the Hero, Keep it Warm, the title track...these songs are as good as any of the classic Ozzy/Dio era songs.

That's the latest Sabbath album I'm familiar with tbh, haven't given anything after that a chance...any good tunes I should check out from 7th star up to Forbidden?

TheAntiPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:21 PM
ARCTICCAT24

Not about Sabbath but when Dio was with Rainbow they had some killer songs. I always like rainbow and thought that Dio and Ozzy were very underrated when talking about the beginning of heavy metal.

ARCTICCAT24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Habsfan18

Speaking of underrated:

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:18 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Posted this in the Metal Thread but I'll post it here too.

^^ Probably the greatest live Sabbath show ever recorded IMO. If they had they included "Electric Funeral" in their setlist that night, that show would have been perfect I think.

But anywho as you can see, Bill Ward totally rocked the **** out of his drums that night and Iommi's guitar tone flat out rules. Especially during the song "Black Sabbath", it sounded so ****ing evil and dark.

It's a shame that this show has never been given an official DVD release.

Old
10-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Ozz

I'll keep my personal opinions to myself, but my user name will give you a clue as to my feelings.

Fave song: Paranoid, mostly because of the nostalgia I have tied to it and the feelings it always brings back hearing the original version.

Album: can't pick, though it's from the Ozzy era

Saw them live for the first time in '99 as well as every tour they (original lineup) did after that. Last year at Ozzfest, Ozzy's band played Rat Salad halfway through the set. That was freakin' cool.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:20 AM
bostone737

I love you Sweet Leaf

bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Zodiac

awesome band. one of my favorites.

listening to this right now ...

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 01:20 AM
ProstheticConscience
Dystemper

Ozzfest 1999. Original lineup of Black Sabbath plays together at Thunderbird Stadium at UBC. Also on the bill: Fear Factory, System of a Down, Godsmack, Rob Zombie and the Deftones.

Best.

Concert.

Ever.

-------------------------------------

I'm a bass player and did the whole band thing through the 90's. Whatever else any bands I was in were playing, we were always major Sabbath freaks. Tony Iommi wrote every good riff ever. Led Zeppelin may have invented **** rock, but Black Sabbath invented metal.

Master of Reality is the best album ever made.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 01:41 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Any of y'all have any of those "Deluxe Editions" of Sabbath albums?? They're UK imports but they have been remastered and have a bunch of bonus disks with instrumentals and rare tracks and stuff. Or at least the ones for their self titled debut, Paranoid, and Master of Reality do anyways.

Was gonna buy a few today until I saw they're like $40-45 each on Amazon.ca...stupd import prices.

Last edited by MetalheadPenguinsFan: 10-22-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old
10-22-2011, 03:02 AM
Fighting Saint

Fighting Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Zodiac

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Jevo

My favourite Sabbath albums are the first two. One of my favourite songs is N.I.B, I could listen to Geezer Butlers bass intro all day.

I agree with MetalheadPenguinsFan, song like Electric funeral and fairies wear boots are heavily underrated.

Jevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Raging Bull

I remember putting on my dads "Vol. 4" vinyl back in the day for the first time. That album just comes out swinging right from the first track.

I also remember being scared of the cover art from their first album when I was little, the title track didn't help any.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Ozz

A couple more that never get enough credit. I still get chills from some of them:

I remember when I bought a 3-CD set of "The Ozzy Years", at a time when I was still hearing half the Sabbath stuff for the first time. I heard this song and never forgot it (how could you?), but don't think I ever knew anyone else except my bandmates who knew it. It's still creepy as hell!

Fairies Wear Boots, where I come from, has always been one of the most popular. Not on the level of the other big ones from Paranoid, but close.

Old
10-22-2011, 10:38 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
awesome band. one of my favorites.

listening to this right now ...

Maybe I'm biased (as they are my favourite band of all time), but I prefer Pantera's version of this song over the Sabbath original.

Old
10-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
I also remember being scared of the cover art from their first album when I was little, the title track didn't help any.
I remember James Hetfield talking about Black Sabbath and the song Black Sabbath. "You would just sit there, listen to the song, look at the cover and get scared!"

I also remember Ozzy talking about the first time they played the song. Cause they were trying to make "scary music" as he called it. And the first time the played the song live. People were running out, women were screaming in fear. And all they could think were "our scary music works". Evidence that Ozzy has always been a ****ed up guy.

Jevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Maybe I'm biased (as they are my favourite band of all time), but I prefer Pantera's version of this song over the Sabbath original.

Different strokes for different folks! I on the other hand can't stand the Pantera version (and yes I am a big fan of theirs).

Old
10-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Ozzfest 1999. Original lineup of Black Sabbath plays together at Thunderbird Stadium at UBC. Also on the bill: Fear Factory, System of a Down, Godsmack, Rob Zombie and the Deftones.

Best.

Concert.

Ever.

I'm a bass player and did the whole band thing through the 90's. Whatever else any bands I was in were playing, we were always major Sabbath freaks. Tony Iommi wrote every good riff ever. Led Zeppelin may have invented **** rock, but Black Sabbath invented metal.

Awesome, I was at that concert as well! Brings back some great memories. Primus, Slayer, and a few other acts also played. I managed to squeeze my way up to the front for Rob Zombie and Sabbath.

Thunderbird Stadium is a great venue for summer rock concerts. My favorite two concerts ever were both there: Ozzfest in 1999 and Radiohead in 2003.

Completely agree about the Zeppelin/Sabbath comment as well. It always annoys me when people call Zeppelin (one of my favorite bands ever) a heavy metal band. They played hard blues rock, but heavy metal to me is the sound that Black Sabbath invented: heavy, detuned bluesy rock together with ominous-sounding vocals dealing with creepy/occult/black subject matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
I remember putting on my dads "Vol. 4" vinyl back in the day for the first time. That album just comes out swinging right from the first track.

This is my favorite Black Sabbath album as well, and like you I also first heard it on my dad's vinyl collection (Sabbath is a good example of a band that sounds wayyyyyyy better on vinyl than any other recorded format, to me). You are definitely right about "comes out swinging" with Wheels of Confusion (one of their most underrated tracks). It also goes out with a bang - the outro to "Under the Sun/Every Day Comes and Goes" is one of the best codas to a song and album ever. In between those two awesome bookend tracks are "Cornucopia", "Snowblind", and "Supernaut" (among others), all of are killer tracks. What a great metal album.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I also think it's fair to say that Ozzy Osborne has been one of the most influential and important musicians of the past 40 years. Besides really giving metal it's signature style (creepy, haunting vocals, occult Aleister Crowley-style dress and appearance, and crazy "Prince of Darkness" persona) and being (along with the rest of Sabbath) the effective founders of the entire genre, no one did more to return metal to prominence in the 1990s (at a time when a lot of industry mags were talking about how metal was "dead" and so on) than Ozzy did with Ozzfest. The Ozzfest tour gave so many metal acts (including some, like System of a Down, that would become huge bands) their first really big break - it effectively brought in and showcased an entire new generation of metal in the post-hair-metal era.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:33 AM
The Fuhr*

One of my favorite bands... all there songs are just so amazing.

My faves are War Pigs, Sweet Leef, NIB, After Forever , Sabbra Cadabra, so many more... just soooo good... AMAZING

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 02:11 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Any of y'all read Iommi's autobiography "Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven And Hell With Black Sabbath" yet?

If so, how is it?

I was thinking of picking it up but I haven't really read any good reviews about it yet.

Old
10-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Ozz

I haven't read it yet but I see no way it can be a bad read.

Old
10-22-2011, 04:46 PM
davebenj

Loved Sabbath with Ozzy the most but never liked his solo work for some reason

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post

Best.

Concert.

Ever.

July 16, 1999 to be exact. It was an amazing show.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote