HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dale Weise?

Old
10-20-2011, 07:27 PM
gotmonte

vCash: 500
Dale Weise?

So the other night while watching the Rangers game Sam and Joe said when Dale was picked up on waivers, within the first two minutes the GM (Van) called Dale up and said congratulations and "we have been trying to get you for 4 years now".

Besides all the other stuff about "Dont worry, just play your game" and whatnot..

My question is this: If this is indeed true, why couldnt Sather trade Weise to Vancouver for even the modest 5th, or 6th round pick? If Van has been "trying" so hard to get him for 4 FRIKKIN YEARS whats up with Sather?!

Now this is all speculative as Sam and Joe said Dale said this. Who knows if Dale is telling the truth to boost his ego after being basically "let go" by the organization.

But if this was/is true.. why has Sather not been on top of this and when he realized in camp he was thinking about waiving him why not call Van' up and say "hey, I got a kid for you"?

Just wondering if anyone else heard this and what they were thinking when they did hear it.

Carry on

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Vitto79

likely cause the Rangers had no leverage and the Nucks knew he was going on waivers. Even though 29 or so other teams passed up on him for the record

What I don't get is they could of just kept Weise as the 4th line RW and sent Zuke down to start the yr thus keeping him

I know it's because Wolski was supposed to start on the 1st line LW and Stepan was supposed to C Zuke but still.

poor asset management. I guess Sather figured he has Hagelin , Bourque, Thurreson ,Deveaux , Mitchell and of course Newbury who he could call up

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Weise has little value as a player projected to be a 4th liner at the NHL level... Was not surprised to see him have little to no impact in the game last night, I barely even recognized that he was on the ice...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Giacomin

When Weise got cut half of this board didn,t think he would get picked up by anyone (myself included). I don,t think it will happen but lets hope he doesn,t turn into a player that haunts us.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Years of bringing in outside talent and refusing to utilize homegrown talent has unfortunately groomed a large part of the NYR fanbase to become 'Prospect Hoarders'... It's like the real Hoarders show on TV where the people become psychologically distressed when you ask them if you can throw away an empty coffee can in their house....

"Hey do you mind if we get rid of this Dale Weise?"

"NO!! I NEED THAT!"

Seen similar sentiments over losing players like Dawes, Parentaeu, Korpikoski, Grachev, etc.... None of which ever factored to play significant roles for the NYR organization....

Only so many roster spots to go around folks and the organization has to look at the depth chart and evaluate future fulfillment of the limited roster spots... We are going to have a glut of forwards who can potentially contribute in bottom 6 roles so losing a player of Weise's caliber who projects to be a 4th liner is no big deal in my book.... Let's not also forget that he's 23 years old and not a 19 or 20 year old so what you see now is pretty close to what you're going to get down the road...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Weise could've been a great 12th man now. I would definitely prefer to have Rupp - Newsome - Weise to having Christ play there.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:57 PM
SML

Don't buy into that nonsense. They picked the guy off waivers. What are you supposed to tell him? Hey, if we didn't take you, you'd be on a bus to the minors? Every GM wants to make their asset management look good. Their fluffy little feel good stories, like this one and that crap about Grachev a few weeks back is just that. I just cannot believe how much some people here get attached to these young prospects. So we're at the point where we have to criticize management for not being able to get a 6th round pick for a guy who couldnt make our team? Please.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:15 PM
clmetsfan

Vancouver may have had their eye on Dale Weise for four years, but do you really think that they ever made any efforts to get him? Do you really think that they called Sather, told him they were interested in Weise, and he refused to give him up??

Come on, now.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Vancouver may have had their eye on Dale Weise for four years, but do you really think that they ever made any efforts to get him? Do you really think that they called Sather, told him they were interested in Weise, and he refused to give him up??

Come on, now.
This is my thinking as well.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I read somewhere, not sure where, but I remember reading that Vancouver made an offer for Weise and Slats rejected it. No idea what the offer is.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:30 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I read somewhere, not sure where, but I remember reading that Vancouver made an offer for Weise and Slats rejected it. No idea what the offer is.
Interesting. I wonder if it was a late pick, or if it was some random AHL player?

Old
10-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Interesting. I wonder if it was a late pick, or if it was some random AHL player?

If we can't use prospects, we should deal them away. Even someone like PAP, I would've tried to get a 7th rounder for them. I think we could've gotten a mid-round pick for Weise, but if not, a late pick is still something. You never know when a 7th rounder will turn into Lundqvist.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Weise & Staal for Bieksa

jk I have no idea

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Pizza

Good for Dale. He was a trooper. Scored his first goal tonight. Very cool.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:06 AM
The Drunken Crunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Good for Dale. He was a trooper. Scored his first goal tonight. Very cool.
I believe he was also awarded 3rd star tonight.

The Drunken Crunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:52 AM
XLJ

The Canucks were trying to trade for him last year. We could of got a draft pick for him. It was bad asset management. I still dont get why Christensen made this team. I rather have Weise instead.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:50 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
likely cause the Rangers had no leverage and the Nucks knew he was going on waivers. Even though 29 or so other teams passed up on him for the record

What I don't get is they could of just kept Weise as the 4th line RW and sent Zuke down to start the yr thus keeping himI know it's because Wolski was supposed to start on the 1st line LW and Stepan was supposed to C Zuke but still.

poor asset management. I guess Sather figured he has Hagelin , Bourque, Thurreson ,Deveaux , Mitchell and of course Newbury who he could call up
Sather better shop him soon,or loose him for nothing. There are severeral sweedish teams and at least one russian team who is pulling for him right now.

I do realy hope he stays in NA and play trough his contract. But there are some nice salary offers going around.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:48 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
The Canucks were trying to trade for him last year. We could of got a draft pick for him. It was bad asset management. I still dont get why Christensen made this team. I rather have Weise instead.
Losing a player who may have been worth a late round pick for nothing is barely bad asset management. That's just a lame excuse defeatist Rangers fans like to use. Bad asset management is what Dallas did with Richards, they should have traded him because they would have received a fortune, and they didn't. Weise does not equal a fortune, every team has a Weise or two in their system.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

The Rangers were aware that Weise would likely be picked up on waivers last month. It is my understanding that an offer was received last year, but the Rangers were not ready to deal him at that time. Looking back, that was probably a mistake, but at the time, the Rangers probably had Weise slotted as their future third/fourth line right winger. It is possible that by this fall, the Canucks were not willing to give up anything to get Weise. It looks like mismanagement in hindsight, but considering everything that was going on at the time, it may not have been that at all.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:26 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Good points, Leslie. Coming into the offseason, there was some degree of doubt as to what the team would look like. Would Fedotenko be back? Rupp wasn't signed. Would Hagelin or any other players be ready to step in? Weise was a decent insurance policy for the bottom six, but they ended up not needing him. It sucks to lose a player for nothing, but really, he's eminently replaceable and not a big loss.

I like Newbury better than Weise as well.

Old
10-21-2011, 05:52 PM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
The Rangers were aware that Weise would likely be picked up on waivers last month. It is my understanding that an offer was received last year, but the Rangers were not ready to deal him at that time. Looking back, that was probably a mistake, but at the time, the Rangers probably had Weise slotted as their future third/fourth line right winger. It is possible that by this fall, the Canucks were not willing to give up anything to get Weise. It looks like mismanagement in hindsight, but considering everything that was going on at the time, it may not have been that at all.
Weise scored his first NHL goal tonight against The Predators.
Look at Omark in Edmonton. He is given 13-15 minutes a night, yet he has not a single point. But he will. Patience Torts,can be a good thing.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:54 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

they had their eye on when he would eventually be the guy on waivers...

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:00 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

It's a negligible enough loss that nobody should be too upset about it, simple as that. He was a nice dude and I wish him the best.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:50 PM
gotmonte

I dont care if Dale stayed or left, or any other fringe player/prospect for that matter. What I am saying is IF INDEED VANCOUVER HAS BEEN TRYING TO GET HIM FOR 4 YEARS then why didnt the rangers just trade him and get ANYTHING of value back in terms of draft picks. A 7th round might sound like nothing to YOU but to me its a chance to draft another HENRIK LUNQVIST. You know, the keeper in goal we so highly rate

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:51 AM
SML

Dude, please. It's Dale Weise. If Vancouver really wanted him for four years, they would have gotten him. THey blow smoke up his ass to make him feel wanted and you're taking it as gospel. Did you ever think that maybe the Vancouver GM is not a jackass, knows that we didn't have room for him and just outwaited us? Asset mismanagement is waiving Martin St. Louis or Michael Grabner. It's trading Dominik Hasek for Cristian Ruutuu, or Markus Naslund for Alek Stojanov. It's not waiving a guy who's a fourth liner because you already have a team with better fourth liners. Give it a rest. You don't want him sucking the life out of our team by getting Aaron Voros'd on a regular basis anyway. The kid fights like a highschool cheerleader.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote