HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Kunitz extended 2 years (Same $3.725m cap hit)

Old
10-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Well.... I am opposed to him playing with either of the two stars because I don't think he has the game for it, never mind how many points he scores, and thus he should never be our 2nd line center unless for a complete transformation offensively. Or because Malkin is traded.... which is a loathsome idea to me if he regains his health.
I guess we'll have to disagree there. Staal can be a doofus when relied on to be the main puck-carrier/distributor, but I think his boardwork, economy, and strength can be a nice complement to Malkin's game just like it was when he scored 29 with him as a rookie.

And given how bullish Byslma's been on trying Staalkin and Crosby/Neal, I think we'll have an opportunity to see it if they all get healthy.

Quote:
Bigger, sure... don't think it feasible that he will be better. Look at the kind of teams Koivu has been a consistent 60+ scorer and all-situations player on. There's a substantial skill-divide here.
Not necessarily, if Staal makes all the advancements we're speculating on here. Look at how Koivu progressed at around Staal's age.

Quote:
...and if he does (lets just say app.60 points, I don't really think he will) he might cost more given his youth, CV and hype. Staal is getting a raise no matter what as an impending UFA. We all know that. He might get 5.5 if he gets his normal 50ish points
If he gets 5.5 for his usual output and the cap doesn't rise much, I'd definitely be reconsidering my position.

Quote:
He is an UFA after next season. That means that we either get him signed early in the 2012/2013 season, or he gets traded. At least that is what it should mean, as risking a young asset like that to UFA is just not on. IMO.
I figure Shero will probably do just that.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post

If he gets 5.5 for his usual output and the cap doesn't rise much, I'd definitely be reconsidering my position.

I figure Shero will probably do just that.
A lot depends on what Sid takes on his next deal. If he want's 9.5 or more he's getting it. Then you can pencil in Geno for a similar number to his current deal or a raise of his own a year later. IMO, without a cap increase that would spell the end of Staal here.

If Sid decides he wants something like 7.25 x 12 years ($87 million ) then $5 million for Staal is digestible even with no cap increase.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
A lot depends on what Sid takes on his next deal. If he want's 9.5 or more he's getting it. Then you can pencil in Geno for a similar number to his current deal or a raise of his own a year later. IMO, without a cap increase that would spell the end of Staal here.

If Sid decides he wants something like 7.25 x 12 years ($87 million ) then $5 million for Staal is digestible even with no cap increase.
That's true. I'm operating under the assumption - probably misguided - that Sid won't ask for a raise.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:41 AM
JTG

He may not. It's not as though anyone has even come close to reaching the top 3's level of salary.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Jag68Sid87

Staal's more valuable than Michalek for this team. Between Staal and Martin it's pretty close. If Staal's ticket becomes harder to punch in terms of cap hit, I would like to think Michalek would be the guy sacrificed. Good, solid player but we have the depth to cover for him, imo. Between Martin and Michalek, I like Martin more and feel he's more worth his cap hit than Michalek is worth his. Again, it's close and it can be argued both ways. I just believe our D depth is better than our C depth (if we take Staal out). Michalek is more replaceable than Martin or Staal, imo. Bortuzzo, Despres, Morrow and more.

And not to open up another HUGE can of worms, but a raise for Geno? I love Geno, but he shouldn't be getting a raise until we know absolutely for sure that his knee issues are behind him AND we see Conn Smythe Malkin at some point. The current version of #71 isn't worth his current cap hit, let alone a raise. He isn't at Crosby's level anymore. It would be wise to set an internal cap of $8.7 million for Crosby and basically have everybody else on the team below it. Geno included.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote