HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The AAA 2011 Draft

Old
10-21-2011, 01:24 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Good clutch scorer too.
**** off!

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:17 PM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Collins was also 8th in career SHP among available players with 24.

Just a few days ago, Hannan, Smail, Wilson and Dvorak made up 4 of the top-5.

Overpass is in this thread.... always interested in his take on drafted players this far in.
I'm not familiar with a lot of players at this point. I liked the Lapointe and Dvorak picks. Both very solid all-around players who could contribute to any team.

I remember a lot of Ottawa fans hated Kravchuk's turnovers and lack of physical play. (Some fans would have liked every defenceman to play like Lance Pitlick.) In hindsight it's surprising that Ottawa won as many games as they did with that defence, but they had a few decent performers, and I guess Kravchuk was the best of them.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:05 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
In hindsight it's surprising that Ottawa won as many games as they did with that defence.
I do agree with this. You look at their top-2 and even though you can't argue with the (regular season) results, it does defy logic.

What other team had 100 points with their top-2 being guys who were undrafted by pick 1500? I am willing to bet no one did. Who even came close? Heck, how many modern teams even had a season where their top-2 are still undrafted as on now, never mind whether they were any good?

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I'm pretty sure Sillinger is gone. I believe he was on Selfish Man's MLD roster.
I posted that one from my phone, couldn't see if he was already taken, and McCormack was second on my list, not a good day!

I'll go with Bill Derlago to center my bottom line. Here's what seventies had to say about Derlago.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Dawson City selects Jiri Fischer.

Robbed of a lengthy NHL career due to a heart defect, Jiri was a dependable blueliner for the Red Wings, regularly averaging around 20 mins per game and a key part of Detroit's 2002 Championship team.

10-22-2011, 02:22 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
The Philadelphia Sting select their 4th line center, a guy that gets judged solely on how bad his contract is, C Shawn Horcoff
I always felt Horcoff was miscast: a quality Bottom-6 guy on a good NHL team playing top-6 (hell TOP LINE ) on a below average NHL team for no good reason other than lack of management will to go out and get true top-6 centers. I see Horcoff as a 3rd liner on a great NHL team (hypothetically) but really because he never got the chance to show his mettle fully in the postseason (other than one cup run in which he was miscast but did admirably).

He had a six-year noteworthy stretch in a 10-year career with a single franchise. He is a decent 4th liner in this draft!

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:12 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Dawson City selects Jiri Fischer.

Robbed of a lengthy NHL career due to a heart defect, Jiri was a dependable blueliner for the Red Wings, regularly averaging around 20 mins per game and a key part of Detroit's 2002 Championship team.
Good pick. Solid defensively and somewhat good physically.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:16 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I always felt Horcoff was miscast: a quality Bottom-6 guy on a good NHL team playing top-6 (hell TOP LINE ) on a below average NHL team for no good reason other than lack of management will to go out and get true top-6 centers. I see Horcoff as a 3rd liner on a great NHL team (hypothetically) but really because he never got the chance to show his mettle fully in the postseason (other than one cup run in which he was miscast but did admirably).

He had a six-year noteworthy stretch in a 10-year career with a single franchise. He is a decent 4th liner in this draft!
He's got talent to be a second liner on a lot of teams in the NHL but I think he's worth his contract more than Gomez or an undrafted defenseman for example.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 07:01 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
He's got talent to be a second liner on a lot of teams in the NHL...
On below average ones in today's NHL, yeah.

Not playoff teams like:

Sedin-Kesler
Briere-
Thornton-
Bergeron-Savard
Stamkos-Lecavalier
Datsyuk-Zetterberg
Toews-Sharp
Getzlaf-Koivu
Legwand-Fisher

He would compete with in Washington (reputedly weakest position of theirs is at center, tried old Arnott and old Morrison), Stoll in L.A., Sutter in Carolina, maybe in NYR (not in my books though)

He would be top-6 material, 2nd line pivot in what? Calgary, Florida, Winnipeg, Columbus, Dallas? Ugh. Teams like that.

Horcoff should be in a Jordan Staal situation: playing 3rd line on a good team, behind a Crosby-Malkin and getting 2nd line minutes only when injuries mount, and then not criticized for only having 40-50 point seasons despite heavy minutes.

In an all-time context, even at the AAA level, there's no way he should see top-6 role minutes.

Last edited by seventieslord: 10-22-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old
10-22-2011, 08:11 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Yeah he wouldn't be over Sutter either, not with the season that Sutter's having. He's been a machine in terms of two-way play and faceoffs so far. Different roles though. The Canes typically ask their 2nd line to be extremely good defensively, and that's been a constant under both Paul Maurice and Peter Laviolette. The BBC line in 02, Brind'Amour and Williams anchoring that line from 04-09, now Brandon Sutter's taken over that role. It's hardly a traditional #2 line when you look at the personnel that Maurice rolls out with him. Jiri Tlusty, who's developed a pretty nice defensive game to him since arriving in Carolina, and Patrick Dwyer, who's prettymuch only offensive use is as a decoy and forechecker due to his speed, but he is solid defensively.

Last edited by seventieslord: 10-22-2011 at 06:32 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:00 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

HC Davos selects blueline stalwart Curtis Leschyshyn, who played 1000+ NHL games, was twice top-10 in plus-minus (2nd, 6th), at times mentioned in the media as one of the most underrated defensemen in the NHL and with a good reputation as a steady eddie. For instance, the New York Daily News came out with an Underrated All-Star Team right before the 1996 all-star game, and it included Curtis Leschyshyn alongside Keith Carney on the blueline.

Quote:
... a very competent NHL defender... a jack of all hockey trades,... a solid defenseman, confidently taking care of business in his own end. He was strong with the puck, making good passing decisions, especially out of the zone,... He rarely jumped into the play, and did not take a lot of shots. He possessed very good physical strength, yet did not crash his weight around the rink in any noticeable fashion. He preferred to adequately do his job, keeping the action to the outside of slot. He had a quiet intensity, seemingly playing calm even under the most stormy of attacks. That was Curtis Leschyshyn. Good.

Leschyshyn kept his game simple. When asked, he described his own game as quiet.

I have not put up huge numbers or created a stir with my play, that's for sure. But I would like to think that consistency has kept me around and I think every night you know what you will get from me. I try to work as hard as possible and lead in that regard. 'Quiet' might be a good description. ... play as hard as you can and just don't let anything slip through your fingers by being lazy or a lack of effort.
http://quebecnordiques.blogspot.com/...eschyshyn.html

Quote:
You only notice Leschyshyn when he makes a mistake... and that's not too often.

A solid veteran,... A good hitting defenceman, Leschyshyn rarely commits to the hit and instead reacts to the player with the puck... solid play,... A strong and underrated rearguard who thinks defence and only defence, Leschyshyn was groomed in the shadow of many budding stars as he spent his first eight-and-some NHL seasons with the Quebec/Colorado franchise, winning the Stanley Cup in 1996.
http://rapids.canoe.ca/acl-bin/hplus...fo.cgi?id=1624

Old
10-22-2011, 11:02 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Old
10-22-2011, 11:22 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Keeping up with the shutdown defenseman theme Garnish completes its top 6 on defence with the selection of Randy Ladouceur.

Ladouceur saw action with Detroit, Hartford and Anaheim during his career. He served as captain for Anaheim during the 1995 season.

For more on Ladouceur click the following link:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=10872

Last edited by tony d: 10-22-2011 at 11:31 AM.
tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Rob Scuderi

RW/C David Backes

221PTS in 371GP
30Gx2
2nd +/- 2011
9th PIM 2009

2011 ASG
7th Selke 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoH
A hard-working forward with a nose for the net, serving as team captain Backes capped off his three year stint at Minnesota State-Mankato by racking up a career high 42 points. At the conclusion of his college season, Backes signed with the St. Louis Blues and appeared in 12 games with their AHL affiliate in Peoria. He began his first full professional season in Peoria and struggled with consistency at times, however would go on to spend the second half of his season with the St. Louis Blues. His play improved as the season progressed and he proved to be one of the Blues' top forwards.

Backes' offensive production continued to improve in St. Louis. He notched his first 30-goal season in 2008-09 and in February of 2010 he was part of the US Olympic team that brought home the silver medal in a thrilling overtime final at the Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.
Olympian and 3 WC, which saw him rack up 74 PIM in the three tournaments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI's Profile of Backes
ASSETS: Has size, hockey sense, a nose for the net and plenty of grit and determination. Is a tremendous body checker. Can play both center and wing.

FLAWS: Sometimes, he is too aggressive and gets caught out of position or takes bad penalties. His scoring lacks consistency.

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 10-22-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Montreal select Duke Dukowski D

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
RW/C David Backes

221PTS in 371GP
30Gx2
2nd +/- 2011
9th PIM 2009

2011 ASG
7th Selke 2011

Olympian and 3 WC, which saw him rack up 74 PIM in the three tournaments.
A guy I had down for the AA draft, he should get some serious consideration in the coming years.

Old
10-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Keith McCreary, LW/RW will complete my forward corps.

Old
10-22-2011, 05:20 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
RW Randy Wood

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
A guy I had down for the AA draft, he should get some serious consideration in the coming years.
It's funny you say that and then pick McCreary, I really wanted him for my AA as well. I figured he'd make a pretty solid alternate captain at the least.

Old
10-22-2011, 05:40 PM
seventieslord

Keith McCreary's resume is, at least for now, a good amount better - isn't it?

Old
10-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Rob Scuderi

It is for sure, but Backes was my last starting player, aside from backup goalie, and I still needed the era requirements. I didn't want a spare to make up one of my era requirements.

I needed a 4th line RW and Backes brings all the elements you need for that role. The only favorable differences right now between him and McCreary that I see are offensive ability. McCreary hit 20 three times but he wasn't really noted for his offensive game. It's more of a bonus, whereas Backes' offensive ability is more pronounced in my opinion at least. However since we're talking about two guys in a 4th line spot that advantage is pretty moot for our purposes.

Backes also has the advantage of making an all-star game. McCreary is noted as one of the best defensive LW of his time and certainly better than Backes there but Backes at least has some voting record and Olympic selection to show he has some real ability. I look at him as my 12th best forward, but with those attributes you want out of that guy like physicality and intangibles.

Old
10-22-2011, 09:25 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
It is for sure, but Backes was my last starting player, aside from backup goalie, and I still needed the era requirements. I didn't want a spare to make up one of my era requirements.

I needed a 4th line RW and Backes brings all the elements you need for that role. The only favorable differences right now between him and McCreary that I see are offensive ability. McCreary hit 20 three times but he wasn't really noted for his offensive game. It's more of a bonus, whereas Backes' offensive ability is more pronounced in my opinion at least. However since we're talking about two guys in a 4th line spot that advantage is pretty moot for our purposes.

Backes also has the advantage of making an all-star game. McCreary is noted as one of the best defensive LW of his time and certainly better than Backes there but Backes at least has some voting record and Olympic selection to show he has some real ability. I look at him as my 12th best forward, but with those attributes you want out of that guy like physicality and intangibles.
.......I was about to say "McCreary has an ASG too..." and then realized that this whole time I have had him mixed up with a different guy from the A draft. Don't mind me.

Old
10-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Dawson City selects goaltender Ross Brooks.

A very shortened NHL career (he was a rookie at age 36....take that, Makarov!), Brooks still put up remarkable stats over three seasons with the Boston Bruins.

Career line: 54 NHL games, 37 wins, 7 losses. Career GAA of 2.64.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:53 AM
seventieslord

Regina selects #6 D-man Mark Hardy

Hardy has the most career points among all available D-men (368). Just one available D-man averaged even close to as many minutes as Hardy, for even close to as many games.

here's my bio pasted in from last year, with a few changes as it referred to how he ranked among undrafted players at that time.

---------------------

The Swiss-born Hardy is mostly known as a King and a Ranger. History has almost forgotten this 915-game player as he's yet another defenseman whose career started between 1977 and 1984 who had over 350 points.

With a career average of 22.50 minutes per game, Hardy was far from nondescript. He's the highest-scoring defenseman out there, partially due to compiling, partially due to a strong peak: Hardy scored 30 points six times, 40 points three times, and had a career high of 53 points in the 1985 season, peaking at 17th & 20th in the league among defensemen.

With that kind of offensive peak, he's far from an offensive star, but it shows he knew how to work the puck. He was not known as a shutdown guy, but certainly not a liability. He was not a huge bodychecker but he was rugged and solid. In short: He did everything well, nothing elite. Which probably helps to explain why he's still available - he doesn't perfectly fill any particular "role", but why penalize him for being too much of an all-around guy? There's a bit of Pavel Kubina in his resume. he was just a well-balanced, NHL-level minute muncher for 15 years.

Having been on the ice for 37% of his team's PPGF, and 44% of PPGA, Hardy qualifies as a special teams beast. In fact, his total special teams usage percentage of 81% is 10th-highest among available players.

Hardy's last full season was 1993. At age 33, there were just 37 players in the league that old, as longevity had not become en vogue quite yet. Playing to that age was clearly something only the better players could do, as 34 of those 37 players have been drafted. The other 3 were Hardy, late blooming plugger Pat Conacher, and career 19-minute D-man Tim Watters.

Hardy's career path is fairly impressive in terms of where he ranked on the depth chart and who he played behind:

1981: 3rd on LA behind Murphy and Korab
1982: 1st on LA (Murphy, Korab, Turnbull)
1983: 1st on LA (Murphy, Korab, Lewis) - 13th in the NHL in TOI
1984: 1st on LA (Murphy, Engblom, McEwen) - 5th in the NHL in TOI
1985: 1st on LA (Engblom, Galley, R.Lapointe)
1986: 1st on LA (Engblom, Ledyard, Galley) - 11th in the NHL in TOI
1987: 1st on LA (Ledyard, Duchesne, Galley)

1988: 2nd on LA behind Duchesne
1989: 5th on NYR
1990: 3rd on NYR behind Leetch & Patrick
1991: 5th on NYR
1992: 5th on NYR
1993: 5th on LA in finals run

Although LA averaged just 66 points from 1982-1987, Hardy was their #1 defenseman the whole time. That's pretty impressive. How much higher should this guy go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1983
has made consistent improvement in first three seasons... team's most consistent backliner... upped point total to 45 and played sound defensive hockey... stong skater with good speed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1985
strong skater, good puckhandler who has developed into competent big-league backliner... excellent shot from the point... has improved consierably defensively in past few seasons...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1986
rugged defenseman who dishes out jolting bodychecks to opposing forwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1986-87
Hardy is a strong skater, well balanced and equipped with a good burst of speed... fairly agile when carrying the puck,,, makes a good point man on the PP... his shot is low and hard and is excellent for tip-ins or deflections... Mark has improved his defense, playing his position better and taking less chances... he forces the play wide by using his defensive angles and no longer wanders from his position, and is more prudent in his rushes and his pinching... adept at moving the puck from his end quickly and has developed the poise to make the right pass, not just a fast one... plays a physical game whenever possible and will dish out checks whenever he can... he has good strength along the boards and corners, and can take his man out and hold him out... fairly effective in front of the net, but that area is not really his game. He is best at hitting and gaining the puck, and then moving it, not continually battling with the oppositon.... a consistent force on the backline, and has tuned up his defense, though he is still an offensive-minded defenseman... a solid two-way defenseman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1991-92
Three assets make Hardy valuable: he can skate, he has experience and he has a good handle on the game... he may have lost some speed, but he is very smooth on his feet... his role has changed over the years... mostly a finesse player, but does not shy away from physical confrontations. He goes to the corner, he battles in front of the net. His fighting days are over, but he plays the body and plays an efficient physical game... he is not done yet. He can still help a team.

Last edited by seventieslord: 10-30-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old
10-23-2011, 11:00 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

HC Davos selects center Jiri Hrdina, the Sparta club captain who led the Czechoslovakian league in assists in 1984 and who was named Best Forward in that league in 1987. More significantly, he had scored 30 points in 6 world championships, getting five medals to go along with the Olympic Silver he helped his country earn with his 10 points in 7 games in 1984, the year before he says was his greatest national memory: winning gold in the 1985 world championships. The following year he scored 7 goals, 12 points in the 1986 world championships. Hrdina had played in the 1984 and 1987 Canada Cups, scoring three points in the latter tourney. He was named Top Forward at the 1987 Calgary Cup, a pre-Olympic tune-up 4-team tourney with Canada and the Soviets, Hrdina scoring a hat trick against a USA team featuring the likes of Hull and Nieuwendyk. He then went on to score 7 points in the 1988 Olympics.

In his first full NHL season, at age 31, he put up a respectable 54 points (on a Flames team deep at center: Gilmour, Nieuwendyk, Otto) and was second among NHL rookies in +/- with +19. He didn't play much in Calgary's Cup winning run but later in Pittsburgh, he had a role. In the Pens first championship run Hrdina was the Game 7 hero with two goals, including the winner, against the Devils in the divisional semifinals. He got a kidney injury on that run that prevented him from playing several of the games in the Finals. The following year, when the Pens defended the cup, coach Scotty Bowman played Hrdina every game of the playoffs (behind Lemieux, Francis, Trottier), one of only six Pit forwards to do so due to team injuries.

Hrdina was one of Czechoslovakia's best internationals in his twenties and an NHL depth role player in his early thirties, playing for two championship quality teams deep at the center ice position, Hrdina accepting Bottom-6 minutes and checking duties, and receiving recognition for doing so.

Quote:
A masterful puckhandler and great skater, Hrdina never produced huge numbers in the NHL. In fact he didn't in the Czech leagues either. He was a solid two way competitor who would serve as a great depth player on two strong NHL teams - the Calgary Flames and the Pittsburgh Penguins.
http://internationalhockeylegends.bl...ri-hrdina.html

Quote:
In time, however, he was put in the center and could devote himself to playing forward. He asserted himself as a shooter and grew as a personality, too. In the 1986-87 season with Sparta he made up an excellent attack line with the ambitious right winger xxxxxxx. They were a great success and, thanks to them, a complete line from one team went to play for Czechoslovakia in the World Championship in Vienna.

In Calgary and later in Pittsburgh, he was not among the key figures on the team. He was biding his time as an underrated defensive forward....
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=10670

Quote:
On missing all but two games of the Stanley Cup Final:

In Minnesota, I got hurt and I couldn't play the last game because I was hurt. I got cross-checked from one of the Minnesota players, and I start to pee blood and stuff, so I had some bruised kidneys so I couldn't go.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_714429.html

Other sources:
http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1984/84159.html
http://www.eurohockey.com/player/19650-jiri-hrdina.html