HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#6 - 10.22.2011 | New York Rangers @ Edmonton Oilers | 10:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
Ride the hot goalie, Lundqvist should get the start.

This normally would be a gimmie game but without Staal and Sauer its not. The only thing that makes it close is having a top goalie in net.

We can use Biron when we get some of our defenseman back.
I guess Torts listen to me

Old
10-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Guys, are we really arguing over Woywitka and Bell's 7 minutes of ice time?

Torts said he's putting in Bell for the speed factor. Which makes a lot of sense actually. He is not punishing Woywitka.

They are both 7th dmen in the league nothing more. This move is pretty much a non factor for tonight's game.

Old
10-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Woywitka has been better than Eminger. Eminger seems to have forgot that throwing his body around and hitting hard is what earned him a spot last year. And my god he cannot handle the puck. It looks like his stick is too short. He has zero reach. I remember quite a few plays that Eminger flat out killed by throwing the puck away. He got the puck in our zone and there were three other rangers in the zone with him. Instead of being patient and having an easy collective breakout, he just fires the puck down the ice to nobody in particular.

I like Eminger but he's been pretty bad. He's fortunate he hasn't cost us any games so far. You must HATE Eminger if you're whining so much about woywitka, Jon. Be objective, please.

Old
10-22-2011, 03:19 PM
MorrisWanchuk

More important than which D out of Woy/Bell is playing is how Torts & Sully manage their pairings, ice-time and matchups. I think Sully has done a superb job in organizing the D and getting the right forwards paired with the right D.

Notice how the pairing of DelZ/Erixon are always out there with the Pack line or Boyles line. Whereas Woy/Bell/Emminger is out there with Richie's line most often.

good matchups are key. Tonight we are facing one powerhouse line - I expect Girardi/McD to face off against them constantly

Old
10-22-2011, 03:22 PM
SkinneeJ

I guess I should hold off on ordering my Woywitka winter classic jersey

Old
10-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinneeJ View Post
I guess I should hold off on ordering my Woywitka winter classic jersey
Yea, but at least I can order my Bell jersey now

Old
10-22-2011, 03:32 PM
blixt

I have not seen Oilers play this season. How strong are they compared to rangers?

Old
10-22-2011, 03:34 PM
darko

37th straight start for Hank.

LGR

Old
10-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Haha Cory Potter in their top4 their offense is very talented but their defense is bad and I expect the rangers to be able to get offense
Potter is actually playing very well as of late, FYI.

Old
10-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarxplyr View Post
I'm an oil fan, but I'm loving Dubinsky with all the PIMs. It's helping me out

Who is RHN?
lol...my bad sir....

-Puts down wineglass....scratches head...oh yeah...RNH it is....

Thanks Sir...

Old
10-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Blazephr

Tom Renney has re-instituted his old NYR system in EDM. Even with all that young offensive talent, he's been going to a 1-2-2 trap after going up by a goal, especially during the 2nd period. They've blown 3 leads losing all 3 games. How are the kids supposed to develop their offense if they're playing the trap for 40 minutes a game? The games they won were coming from behind. Never liked Renney as a coach. He certainly loves his 1 goal games.

Old
10-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by blixt View Post
I have not seen Oilers play this season. How strong are they compared to rangers?
They have a pretty good, fast offense, bbut the back end is laughable

Old
10-22-2011, 03:55 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Another very good test for the Rangers.

This is a very young, fast, talented offensive team. Can our defense keep up with them?

They are offensively deep with 3 very solid scoring lines. Their defense leads a lot to be desired however. So if may very well turn into a high scoring game. If that's the case I like our chances with Hank in net.

10-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Potter is actually playing very well as of late, FYI.
I believe you, but this is a guy who couldn't beat Dmitri Kalinen, Paul Mara or Anders Eriksson for a spot on our D, so it is a little funny that he is playing top 4.

Tom Renney's coaching made Marek Malik an acceptable first-pairing defenseman on a 100 point hockey team. So its no surprise to me that Potter can play under Tom.

10-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Joey Moss

Good luck tonight guys. FWIW, goaltending and defense have actually been our strong suit so far this year and Potter has been exceptional.

Old
10-22-2011, 04:07 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

The funny thing about the Oilers so far is that the D and goaltending have shined in this young season and the offense has been the problem so far. A lot of missed chances that should be buried.

Old
10-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
They have a pretty good, fast offense, bbut the back end is laughable
how is allowing the third fewest goals against in the league so far laughable. i think your in for a bit of a surprise.

Old
10-22-2011, 04:21 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
This is why I love coming here. Nohing but black and white for forum posters.

Having watched both games, I'd say he's been a typical 5th/6th defenseman. Some good plays and a few bonehead ones. What he does have is the talent to recover when he does make a mistake. He's had to scramble a few times but he's generally gotten the job done. You can see why he has tempted so many teams with his potential.
Woywitka is nothing close to a #5 d-man. He's a #7 at best. The only reason he's a #6 here (and he is FIRMLY #6 behind Eminger) is due to having 2 d-men out. Otherwise, he'd be our #8.

Again, his puck-handling is atrocious. It's one of the reasons no one wants the guy and why he's bounced around the league. It's not NHL-level. This is his 6th team in his career (he's barely 28). The guy would be serviceable if he could handle the puck. If he could make a competent break-out pass and not stifle the puck movement, I'd be all for him being our injury fill-in.

The problem is, he can't. He's never been able to. He's 28 and he won't ever learn to.

Old
10-22-2011, 04:23 PM
MorrisWanchuk

ugh. when you play the canadian teams, gdt's turn into the kind of mud slinging match seen on the main board. their fans are always so defensive.

Old
10-22-2011, 04:24 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
The funny thing about the Oilers so far is that the D and goaltending have shined in this young season and the offense has been the problem so far. A lot of missed chances that should be buried.
Sounds like a typical Tom system.

Mostly mediocre players on D that somehow come together to form a competent defense. Dude is a good system coach with players like Edmonton has.

Old
10-22-2011, 04:26 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Woywitka is nothing close to a #5 d-man. He's a #7 at best. The only reason he's a #6 here (and he is FIRMLY #6 behind Eminger) is due to having 2 d-men out. Otherwise, he'd be our #8.

Again, his puck-handling is atrocious. It's one of the reasons no one wants the guy and why he's bounced around the league. It's not NHL-level. This is his 6th team in his career (he's barely 28). The guy would be serviceable if he could handle the puck. If he could make a competent break-out pass and not stifle the puck movement, I'd be all for him being our injury fill-in.

The problem is, he can't. He's never been able to. He's 28 and he won't ever learn to.

because of all these reasons, he doesn't get paid that much. if he were good then he'd be getting paid >1M.

he's a stop gap getting paid hardly anything because he is inconsistent. that's all we need.

we rangers fans seem to have an obsession with discussing 5th/6th/7th Dmen and 4th line dynamics. the main issues are the top 2 lines and top pair D. i think we're rolling along quite well with those things.

Old
10-22-2011, 04:26 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oillio2pointOh View Post
how is allowing the third fewest goals against in the league so far laughable. i think your in for a bit of a surprise.
Dude, Corey Potter is on your 2nd pair....

RANGERS =
Old
10-22-2011, 04:30 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
ugh. when you play the canadian teams, gdt's turn into the kind of mud slinging match seen on the main board. their fans are always so defensive.
Yeah, same with the Isles and Debs. Nobody else really does it.

It's incredibly annoying.

Old
10-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Dude, Corey Potter is on your 2nd pair....
so what?
and i believe hes going to be on our first pairing with ryan whitney tonight, he has earned it by having a solid year thus far.

maybe he was bad when he played for the rangers, but hes really stepping up his game here.

Old
10-22-2011, 04:34 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Corey Potter reminds me of a Mike Sauer lite.

He is fairly solid defensively and can put up some offense here or there but he isn't great.

You also have to take into account that EDM is still developing so that allows them to player these lesser veterans in the lineup. Is Corey Potter really great? No. But for an Edmonton team that needs some veteran leadership he can be a good guy to turn to. He may be on their 1st or 2nd pair tonight but he isn't in their long term plans.

Closed Thread